Acer exec says Apple's 'closed' iPad will drop to 20% market share

Comments

• Reply 121 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

The Oracle lawsuit has merit, Fragdroid uses a rip-off of Java that violates the licensing agreement, and Fragdroid software, all of it, will be "impounded and destroyed."

And don't forget that Sergey Brin himself said that Chrome OS is the future of Google's OS development. At this year's Google I/O conference. Why would any software developer bother with Fragdroid after the 1-2 punch of the Oracle lawsuit and Google top brass saying that they're already working on a new OS? (Unless said developer is so philosophically challenged that he refuses to program for iOS...)

i really had to laugh at that one. 'fragdroid'? no, you aren't biased....
  • Reply 122 of 235
    rayconraycon Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Yes, because Windows and iPod were SO open compared to Linux. Why doesn't Linux run on every desktop in the world? Because consumers don't care about openness. They want value, utility, and entertainment. Android is looking like it will be a reasonable contender, but nothing is inevitable.

Excellent point. User experience counts more than anything. Ease of use, availability, and customer support are what most people are looking for. Just a thought? if I have problems with my iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, I simply walk into the nearest Apple Store and walk out fairly quickly (unless, of course, I want to hang around) with an answer. Where do I go if I have problems with my Android phone?
  • Reply 123 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RayCon View Post

Excellent point. User experience counts more than anything. Ease of use, availability, and customer support are what most people are looking for. Just a thought… if I have problems with my iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, I simply walk into the nearest Apple Store and walk out fairly quickly (unless, of course, I want to hang around) with an answer. Where do I go if I have problems with my Android phone?

ooops, i mean

"you can go to hell, i am going to go with android down to texas and be killed at the alamo" davik crokkett
  • Reply 124 of 235
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

That is exactly why the iPad is going to retain 100% market share.

you should say that Apple is going to retain a billion trillion zillion percent market share.

Both statements are equally credible.
  • Reply 125 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

...Sure, scores of manufacturers will probably jump on the Android band wagon, and together they might make a dent in the iPad business. But they each have their own agenda and there WILL be fragmentation. Many devices, many form factors, thousands of combinations of things that developers have to account for. In the long run, iPad is a consistent experience. Android tablets will not be....

In the same category (things about Android people don't realise), there are two facts that don't seem to occur to anyone.

1) Android *needs* a fragmented platform to survive at all because the manufacturers need to differentiate their hardware to compete.

2) Android is a cheaper copy of iOS, so a lot of Android sales, are "me too" sales and don't necessarily reflect the consumer choosing anything but a lower priced product.

So Android will basically *always* be a severely fragmented platform like Windows is/was, and the current boom in sales reflects more on people moving into the smartphone market in general, than it does consumers intelligently choosing Android as a superior platform.

In fact, whatever their level of technical expertise, the average user, even the average Android user, is well aware of the fact that iOS is the "leading" platform. Only a tiny portion of technical minded users on the Android platform will argue that it's technically better than iOS, the rest are using it cause it's cheap, or it's what their cell carrier told them they could get when they asked for "a smartphone."
  • Reply 126 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

If it's something Google doesn't approve it gets remotely killed by Google?

I love open.

Its open cos you can install software from anywhere. And about those apps google killed.

They did it because they were MALICIOUS not because they dont like them. You must have google confused with apple. Just because their platform is open doesnt mean they should allow malicious apps in their app store.
  • Reply 127 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

In the same category (things about Android people don't realise), there are two facts that don't seem to occur to anyone.

1) Android *needs* a fragmented platform to survive at all because the manufacturers need to differentiate their hardware to compete.

2) Android is a cheaper copy of iOS, so a lot of Android sales, are "me too" sales and don't necessarily reflect the consumer choosing anything but a lower priced product.

So Android will basically *always* be a severely fragmented platform like Windows is/was, and the current boom in sales reflects more on people moving into the smartphone market in general, than it does consumers intelligently choosing Android as a superior platform.

In fact, whatever their level of technical expertise, the average user, even the average Android user, is well aware of the fact that iOS is the "leading" platform. Only a tiny portion of technical minded users on the Android platform will argue that it's technically better than iOS, the rest are using it cause it's cheap, or it's what their cell carrier told them they could get when they asked for "a smartphone."

You do realize that the best selling android phones are the high end ones right. And that those phones cost just as much as the iphone on a monthly contract.

And as for android being a cheap copy of ios i really dont see it. I dont see any similarities between the 2 os except for the fact that they're both touch based.

Yes there are some android phones whose hardware resemble the iphone but thats limited to those models and not the android os as a whole
  • Reply 128 of 235
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Enterprises are able to create and distribute their apps at will on the iPhone and iPad via the Enterprise Developer program. How is that 'limiting'?

http://developer.apple.com/programs/iphone/enterprise/

It's limiting in the sense that Apple is the only single vendor... although in any good software+hardware combined enterprise rollout, hardware costs are usually not an overwhelming factor.

Still, the "single source" vendor issue is what's likely keeping companies from mass-adopting iPads in the workplace, as iPad + enterprise server = very useful customizable in-house system...

Corporations realize that other corps often act like brutal amoral pricks, so vendor lock-in can be an issue.
  • Reply 129 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demitri View Post

You do realize that the best selling android phones are the high end ones right. And that those phones cost just as much as the iphone on a monthly contract.

And as for android being a cheap copy of ios i really dont see it. I dont see any similarities between the 2 os except for the fact that they're both touch based.

Yes there are some android phones whose hardware resemble the iphone but thats limited to those models and not the android os as a whole

android isn't a 'cheap copy'. android 2.2 is impressive. not perfect, but not inferior to ios4. sadly, most android users aren't able to use 2.2 because of the stupidity of google and the providers and handset makers. this is where apple kicks MS and androids butt: the whole package is thought out and designed better.

i would put money down that the only reason people are specifically going with 'high end' android devices is that they don't have the option of getting an iphone.

the rest of the people really don't care if it is cornflakes or cheerios.
  • Reply 130 of 235
    Quote:

Android phones are cheaper overall though. In any case that doesn't affect my argument. Replace "cheaper" with "alternative" or "non-Apple" or any number of things and it's the same basic argument.

iOS is clearly the standard. Android is clearly a copy of that standard. In the end, that will matter the most.

A whole new mobile platform is emerging and just as when the "personal desktop computer" arrived, there's lots of action and a lot of people buying devices. If you look at the numbers however, it's crystal clear that those sales primarily reflect the growth of the entire market segment, not a movement of users to a particular product within that segment.

In platform development it's who is seen as "the standard" that is most important thing, and it's the biggest determinant of future dominance. Right now we are seeing a lot of companies doing whatever they can to get a foot in the door and to drive down the dominance of iOS by using the copycat (Android) system. That doesn't mean that it's actually a better system.

Apple has more to fear from WebOS than Android.
  • Reply 131 of 235
    Competition is good, well for us users anyway. Left to their own devices Apple will not pay much attention to some features that we users would benefit from the most, because it doesn't fit with their agenda. I'm thinking specifically of having a common file namespace (a.k.a a filesystem) that all apps can dump their files into and can open from. For example I want to be able to write stuff in pages and then export the files from my iPad via GoodReader to a webdav server. Every app being restricted to its own private namespace may suit Apple, but it severely restricts what I want to do. When the competition offer this functionality as standard Apple will be forced to respond. So Android tablets can't arrive fast enough for me.
  • Reply 132 of 235
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

Right, and what OS have they created? What silicon have they designed?

You may be confusing Acer with some other company. They neither write software nor do they design microchips.

Maybe its Samsung you are thinking of? I think they make chips too.
  • Reply 133 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

You're saying acer sells more smartphones, tablets, and mp3 players than Apple?

I'd really love to see the numbers backing that up.

I don't think that Acer sells smartphones, tablets or MP3 players. I could be wrong.

I think that the only thing that competes with Apple is their computers, and Apple is no longer a computer company anyways.
  • Reply 134 of 235
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The folks at Acer are always good for a laugh.
  • Reply 135 of 235
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    /ahem, who disabled voice guidance from Google maps on European Android phones when it was enabled prematurely by hackers?

Currently Motorola is issuing cease and desist orders over the leaked release of the Froyo update for the Droids.

Meanwhile Google gathers information about Android users and makes money selling it to advertisers.

It's time some of you Droidtards took off the rose coloured glasses and stopped drinking the Google Kool Aid.

Quote:

Its open cos you can install software from anywhere. And about those apps google killed.

They did it because they were MALICIOUS not because they dont like them. You must have google confused with apple. Just because their platform is open doesnt mean they should allow malicious apps in their app store.

I was playing around with a HTC Legend the other day, I opened the calculator App and when you turn the phone on it's side it changes to scientific...

...remarkable.

Quote:

• Reply 136 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Apple has more to fear from WebOS than Android.

I'm very interested in what HP comes up with the webOS. I've always liked Palm's stuff. HP is actually a pretty strong PC brand. I'll always choose their printer over anyone else's although I'm sure an Epson or Canon or Lexmark or whatever will do a competent job.
  • Reply 137 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

/ahem, who disabled voice guidance from Google maps on European Android phones when it was enabled prematurely by hackers?

Currently Motorola is issuing cease and desist orders over the leaked release of the Froyo update for the Droids.

Meanwhile Google gathers information about Android users and makes money selling it to advertisers.

It's time some of you Droidtards took off the rose coloured glasses and stopped drinking the Google Kool Aid.

what the hell are you talking about???
  • Reply 138 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

• Reply 139 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

I'm very interested in what HP comes up with the webOS. I've always liked Palm's stuff. HP is actually a pretty strong PC brand. I'll always choose their printer over anyone else's although I'm sure an Epson or Canon or Lexmark or whatever will do a competent job.

WebOS is just a cheap ripoff of Apple. And they don't have as much software either. It is always better to go with Apple.
  • Reply 140 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

HP. the king of making millions of different designs and names (most are awful) and of adding bloatware to everything....