Samsung rumored to buy webOS to compete with Apple's iOS, Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 121 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Maybe they bought Moto so they back up the vendors that want to use Android. (hahahahaha)

Woosh! That went right over my head???
  • Reply 122 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

lol that's hilarious. then how do you explain iOS5 being filled with Android features?

I think Apple fell asleep at the wheel and is now playing catchup. They may sell the most phones, but Android as a platform is kicking iOS's butt.

They are not "Android features". Fandroids love to rewrite history and pretend Google invented multitasking, copy and paste, etc., when in reality, these features existed in OSes that came before Android.
  • Reply 123 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

How dare you say I'm reasoned and unbiased...

I was just using you as an example -- to make me look better!

Now, buzz off, Charlie!
  • Reply 124 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I was just using you as an example -- to make me look better!

Now, buzz off, Charlie!

Fine, Edgar!

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
  • Reply 125 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Woosh! That went right over my head???

I'm making a sardonic remark about Google actually supporting vendors in a legal battle.
  • Reply 126 of 145
    Palm (or HP) should have scrapped the hardware and licensed WebOS to OEM's in the first place. There was NO chance another vertically-integrated ecosystem (such as iPhone/iOS) was going to be successful in competing with Apple or Google. Google waited until Android was established before buying MM, but it will be interesting to see how their OEM's deal with this. In my opinion, HP should sell WebOS and be done with it...
  • Reply 127 of 145
    buying webos for all the older palm patents.
  • Reply 128 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

GOOD! I love this. Hope it happens.

Palm: "Oh, we'll use WebOS to? crap, we're out of business."

HP: "Oh, we'll use WebOS to? crap, we're out of business."

Samsung: "Oh, we'll use WebOS to? crap, we're..."

Why on earth would you want Apple's competitors to go out of business? Are you insane?
  • Reply 129 of 145
    In a way it's ironic... a lot of people think that iOS is Android's competition. True, it is in a way... but while most Android eyes are on Apple there are a lot of other cards being pulled from the bottom of the deck... antitrust suits, the S. Korean government's worry about Android's near monopoly in that country, Larry and Oracle's lawsuit, the Microsoft lawsuit against Motorola, HTC hedging its bets with Win Phone.

Google has got a lot of wolves biting at Android's heels. It'll take just one of those lawsuits to go south on Google and you'll see them blink big time.

... and Apple won't have had a hand in any of it.
  • Reply 130 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In an effort to more directly compete with Apple's integrated hardware-software approach, Samsung is rumored to be interested in buying webOS from Hewlett-Packard.

This is GREAT news (at least from my perspective; I have a slight Apple bias! ).

The more mobile operating systems out there in the wild, the better.

This will only cause incoherence in the mobile marketplace, and increase marketing clarity for Apple devices.

For example, a customer might walk into a Best Buy store to buy a Tablet of some sort (uncommitted), and ask for help. When the pimply geek (as has been my experience) apprises the customer of all the confusing options, notice iOS is conspicuously absent, he may get so overwhelmed that he throws up his hands and says, "Aw, screw it! I'll just get an iPad."

With this GREAT news I don't want to be greedy, but I pray on my knees that "One person agent of destruction," in my personal opinion, Jon "Ruby" Rubinstein, will play a MAJOR role at Samsung. The bigger the role he plays, the better (again, from my perspective). Samsung will be razed.

Ruby is a brilliant engineer who Steve Jobs recruited for Next, where he served Next and its founder so well that Jobs' recruited him to work at Apple upon Steve Jobs' triumphant return.

At Apple he headed up Mac hardware engineering and then oversaw iPod hardware engineering. He left Apple after a little under 10 years there. He was then recruited by Palm to rescue the ailing PDA (remember those?) maker as CEO (yes, you read that correctly: a technical engineer as CEO!) There, he made a number of on-the-record comments that were disparaging to Apple.

He promptly drove Palm into the dirt, in my own personal opinion, and then took a wrecking ball to HP after it bought Palm (with "Ruby" as a "bonus" lol), in my own personal opinion.

He performed brilliantly under the management and direction of Steve Jobs -- both at Next and Apple. But since he left Apple and Steve Jobs' oversight, he has only left a trail of twisted wreckage and destruction in his wake, in my own personal opinion. Is he Godzilla? No, he's more powerful than Godzilla.

The Tablet and larger mobile marketplace is like "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs." Apple is, of course, Snow White, and the more dwarfs, the merrier.

The real threat is if Google's purchase of MMI means they'll pull Android from all licensees (after having tried Microsoft's successful "License MS-DOS and Windows to all comers" business model) and then potentially employ the Apple single-purveyor-strict-control-model that has served Apple and its customers so well while the Android marketplace has degenerated into a fractured, incoherent mess.

THAT'S the real threat.

Viva Steve Jobs!

P.S. This is a evidence-grounded tribute to Steve Jobs, but it it VERY long. You should only read it if you are so inclined and have the time. It may even include you!

To the moderator(s), I don't think this link violates any AppleInsider policies, but if it does, PLEASE, make an exception just this once given recent, once-in-a-lifetime, extenuating circumstances.

• Reply 131 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Why on earth would you want Apple's competitors to go out of business? Are you insane?

Why on Earth would you comment on the first post in a thread without reading the rest of the thread to see if you're completely wrong about how you read said post?
  • Reply 132 of 145
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    HP should just open up webOS. Nobody's going to buy it. Who wants to buy a product (However good it is - and I rate it second behind only iOS myself, ahead of Windows Phone 7 and Android) that has twice failed in the market? Sure, webOS's misfortunes have been the result of mismanagement and shoddy hardware, but - alas - appearances are everything.

Now, open it up, and that's another kettle of fish. Suddenly, everyone's got something to stick in Google's craw. "Android? Open?", the market will say, "Like hell, that's proprietary Google-Motorola Mobility BS". Which, of course, it now will be. Well here's a nice alternative from HP, the truly open webOS. That'll be quite the shot across Google's openly anticompetitive bow.

Of course, HP will never do it. They're just stupid enough to try licensing it. Or who knows, maybe there actually is someone out there stupid enough to buy it from them? I've seen people suggesting RIM, the article suggests Samsung...I rather suspect another likely candidate to be stupid enough to buy it would be Dell. But it could just as easily go to Mountain View to be euthanised as a competitor. Oh, I'm sorry, I meant "have its unique features integrated into Android."
  • Reply 133 of 145
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

sounds like a crapload of speculation fueled by your intense hatred of anything non-Apple to me.

See the post above where I point out that I own a TouchPad!

Seriously though, you'd be a fool to believe that Google won't end up leveraging more than Motorola's patents. They're in the hardware business now.
  • Reply 134 of 145
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

GOOD! I love this. Hope it happens.

Palm: "Oh, we'll use WebOS to? crap, we're out of business."

HP: "Oh, we'll use WebOS to? crap, we're out of business."

Samsung: "Oh, we'll use WebOS to? crap, we're..."

Seems strange that any of us Mac users might look down our noses at the idea of a company buying another company's struggling OS for their own use. Isn't that basically the history of OS X?
  • Reply 135 of 145
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Poor WebOS. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Seriously, what does Sammy know about software and its implementation? I know they have Bada out there, but I haven't seen it. This is just about as misguided as HP buying OS.

Soli's probably right. RIM would make better use of WebOS.

Well, not necessarily.

Samsung is not much into software, but they will buy software people with WebOS.

And they do make PCs & laptops, tablets, smart phones, printers. They can even implement it in their TVs. They are in same consortium with Hyundai, so sat-navs and trip computers with WebOS touchscreen consoles wouldn't be so much of a Science Fiction. Plus they make lots of whiteware (fridges, washing machines etc.) that could implement WebOS in the future... at least on high end models.
  • Reply 136 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Seems strange that any of us Mac users might look down our noses at the idea of a company buying another company's struggling OS for their own use. Isn't that basically the history of OS X?

You're absolutely right.

?

Third time's the charm! BAH!

Can't resist. It's just not possible.
  • Reply 137 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

Compete, rather than copy. I like that idea.

Me too
  • Reply 138 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Apple sells about 20M iPhones a Qtr right?

Thats about 20M/90=> 222'000 per day

I have read that Android is claiming 500'000 activations per day => 45M phones per Qtr

So per year Iphone 80M should rise to about 100M per year by Dec 2011

Android OS Phones 180M per year and rising. There is some doubt attached to using Android activations as legitimate value but that is all we have because android data is sales channel, only not real sold devices.

Essentially iPhone is a new manufacturer capturing about 25% of market starting from zero a few years ago. Android powered Phones are garnering about 55% of market , replacing Symbian OS running on the old dumb phones.

In a nutshell, there isn't really a pure IOS vs Android battle happening. Its more like two new guys in town both taking out the dominant player and the new punk (iOS) muscling in on some of that action and got a head start on the saloon.

Oh and that doesn't even include iPad and Ipodtouch, which basically doubles iOS 's share

That only presuming that both 20M iPhone and 45M Android sales are all new users, not users upgrading from older iPhone or Android. Or that all old iPhones or Androids remain in use by being sold or given.
  • Reply 139 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Show me Google truly embracing "open" by releasing all their search algorithms... I'll be waiting.

It's sad that you don't know how retarded that comment is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

When Google signs on the dotted line consider anything from MotoMobility to be a Google phone.

I can't see Google pissing $2.5 billion down the drain so I'd consider the deal as done.

Android has only 2 good years left and then it's cooked. LG will be gone from Android. Samsung will be gone from Android. Windows Phone will be gaining market share. Larry will be having his way with Android. ... and Google will have to go head to head with Apple.

iPhone 6 or 7 against Motorola Whatever.

That walled garden will start looking better and better to Page and Brin.

If Android has 2 good years left and then decides to go vertical (After continuing it's success) it would not die if their OEMs leave...in fact that would be great for them to introduce an integrated model. I don't want it...I like Android as it is now...but if it were to happen using your timeline Google could come out on top...

Quote:

I'll match my, and Island Hermit's reasoned, and unbiased posting records against yours any day...

... I don't know enough about dr_lha to comment on his.

As to speculation, I am just analyzing Google's options -- of course that is speculation.

What do you think Google will do?

As to the chilling effect on Android licensees -- I have recently read articles about Sammy executives and South Korean Govt. officials urging [South Korean handset makers] to get off the Android train.

I will try to run them down and post links later, in an update.

Edit 1: Here's a link to an article, though not the best, showing Sammy's concern about the MMI purchase:

Elaboration system of Samsung Bada or abandon the Android development itself

Edit 2: Here's a link about the South Korean Governmant:

South Korean Government Urges Samsung And LG To Forsake Android: "We Cannot Go On Like This"

As to "intense hatred of anything non-Apple". That is overstated! I like non-apple products, and dislike some Apple products/choices.

I do not trust MS, because of personal dealings. I do not like Google because of their unethical, if not illegal, practices -- while flaunting their "Do No Evil" mantra.

Sammy, appears to make good products, but I do not respect them -- it appears as if they are violating the IP of others.

I choose to support and do business with those I trust, like, and respect!

How about you?

And... I like New York in June... How about you?

Yea I read those earlier...So what?

Also I don't know what Google will do...and Google being a highly unpredictable (sometimes annoyingly so) company disallows me to speculate so concretely like you and island do so regularly.

I support companies who make products I like...I know these companies do not give a flying frack about me and would easily make my life harder if they could up their profits by a percentage point. I don't live for any of them, I don't care about their bosses, I don't care about their practices unless they actually cause physical harm to people or whole economies. Apple/Google/MS/Samsung all get the same amount of "trust" from me...none.

PS...Google doesn't really flaunt it's "Do No Evil" mantra anymore...with good reason...you don't become what? the 4th largest corp in the USA without doing "evil."

PSS...NY in June tends to be too hot. I prefer it in August - early November...as long as it isn't too cold or too hot. Spring is nice too...as cooler weather allows for better fashion IMO
  • Reply 140 of 145
    Quote:

But, what is the future of WP7 when Windows 8 for mobile is on the horizon -- aren't 2 mobile OSes, from one company, already 1 too many?

I think that Windows Phone 8 will be next step of evolution for WP7, bringing same version number (and some GUI elements, like tiles) across the range. I'd expect it will be to WP7.5 Mango what Mango is to WP7 original release. Next (big?) upgrade.