iOS, Android activations surge 353% on record setting Christmas Day

Comments

• Reply 21 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You may be at a loss for words, but you can't really argue with facts and logic.

Android customers lack the ability and the will to pay for stuff. They are cheapskates and they have a freeloading OWS type of mentality which ultimately affects the entire Android platform.

However, the largest single factor that appears to impact developer support for the platform is the consumer?s ability to pay. This comes down to Google Checkout penetration. Upon setting up an iOS device, a consumer must associate either a credit or gift card to her iTunes account. In theory, this means that 100% of all iOS device users are payment enabled. This has not been the case for Android, resulting in lower revenue generation possibilities on the platform.

http://blog.flurry.com/

I love these forums. The diversity of people here is awesome.
  • Reply 22 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I love these forums. The diversity of people here is awesome.

Agreed. Personally, I've never in my whole life interacted with people like I find here. It is fascinating.
  • Reply 23 of 139
    How many people got an android, because some sales person talked the buyer into it saying it was better more free apps (per a employee at best buy) gave as gift and then returned and bought an ipad... or i device

I heard this sevral times over the holiday shopping season and wanted to step in.. just because a pile of crap is free, does not make it gold.... how many quality apps does android have, 100 apps that do the same thing just named differant does not count for 100 apps,
  • Reply 24 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzpolice View Post

I may (quite likely) be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the App Store goes into some kind of lockdown mode for about a week at Xmas time. No new submissions, no updates, no changes in sales rankings.

Submissions and updates yes because they need a human to approve them.

But the sales rankings are by computer tabulation so they can be updated at any point.
  • Reply 25 of 139
    Here's another perspective:

Quote:

Among the top 20 countries for mobile devices, Localytics saw a huge increase in both Apple iOS and Android devices over the December 23 – 26 weekend compared to previous weekends since November 25. The US and Germany registered the highest growth rates for iOS while South Korea and Sweden had the highest growth rates for Android.

Quote:

Android Grows More Quickly in 14 of top 20 Countries

Interestingly, Android finished in a virtual tie with a 12x increase over the same period. But at least in terms of recent growth, Android appears to now lead Apple iOS in a greater number of markets, despite a number of legal battles between manufacturers.

Android saw the strongest relative growth in South Korea, besting the iOS family by over 80%. Sweden and Japan followed with new Android device growth 45% to 50% ahead of Apple iOS. Apple maintained a lead in new device growth in 6 markets; US, Germany, Great Britain (UK), Italy and Malaysia.

Holiday Gifts Drive Apple iOS 12x Higher; Android Leads in More Countries
  • Reply 26 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Define real?

"What is REAL? Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made. It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?"

"Sometimes. When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up, or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once. You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

(bonus points to anyone that knows the source without googling it)
  • Reply 27 of 139
    the Germans like qualtiy devices that are build well, look at BMW, Swedish like crap, look at ikea... Apple=BMW ,, Android=IKEA (some assembly required)
  • Reply 28 of 139
    the Germans like qualtiy devices that are build well, look at BMW, Swedish like crap, look at ikea... Apple=BMW ,, Android=IKEA (some assembly required)
  • Reply 29 of 139
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Flurry's statistics come from the company's analytics software, which is found in more than 140,000 applications. Peter Farago, vice president of marketing with Flurry, claimed that his company's statistics detect "roughly" 100 percent of new iOS and Android devices activated each day.

Please list those 140,000 apps so i can make sure to not install them. What gives this company the right to analyze anything in my phone without my expressed permission?
  • Reply 30 of 139
    Quote:

You may be at a loss for words, but you can't really argue with facts and logic.

Android customers lack the ability and the will to pay for stuff. They are cheapskates and they have a freeloading OWS type of mentality which ultimately affects the entire Android platform.

However, the largest single factor that appears to impact developer support for the platform is the consumer?s ability to pay. This comes down to Google Checkout penetration. Upon setting up an iOS device, a consumer must associate either a credit or gift card to her iTunes account. In theory, this means that 100% of all iOS device users are payment enabled. This has not been the case for Android, resulting in lower revenue generation possibilities on the platform.

http://blog.flurry.com/

Best Buy had a deal that you could get a free iPhone 4 free with a 2 year activation. Doesn't get any cheaper than that. I remember SJ saying that free phones are free because thats all they are worth.
  • Reply 31 of 139
    Quote:

Would you please cut it out. I am a huge Apple fan but your bigoted anti-Android crusade is over the top and makes Apple product users look bad. And I'm sure I speak for most die-hard Apple fans and AI members.
  • Reply 32 of 139
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmallon View Post

So you had to double-post your inane generalization? Way to show off your intellect...

Funny thing, on other sites, people discuss best apps for 2011, game reviews, fun stuff. Over here at AI it's sales, sales, sales. No need to ask where Ebenezer Scrooge hangs out...

Enjoy the holidays, smell you later...
  • Reply 33 of 139
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Windows and Mac surge to 99% market share. Or how to mislead people.
  • Reply 34 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

"What is REAL?

Not besieged by lawsuits because of being based on stolen technology with a complete disregard for the IP rights of the owners.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...d-patents.html
  • Reply 35 of 139
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Best Buy had a deal that you could get a free iPhone 4 free with a 2 year activation. Doesn't get any cheaper than that. I remember SJ saying that free phones are free because thats all they are worth.

You mean that Best Buy had a one day deal out of 365 days? Yeah, I saw that too, and it was only for the 32 GB.

Best Buy Offering Buy One, Get One Free Offer on 32GB iPhone 4 Today
  • Reply 36 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

So you had to double-post your inane generalization? Way to show off your intellect...

Funny thing, on other sites, people discuss best apps for 2011, game reviews, fun stuff. Over here at AI it's sales, sales, sales. No need to ask where Ebenezer Scrooge hangs out...

Enjoy the holidays, smell you later...

Infinity Blade 2 is awesome, too bad Android can't run it.

Something to do with real time prioritised process thread access to the kernel apparently, the inherent flaw in Android which firmly plants it in the "almost as good" copy class.
  • Reply 37 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Would you please cut it out. I am a huge Apple fan but your bigoted anti-Android crusade is over the top and makes Apple product users look bad. And I'm sure I speak for most die-hard Apple fans and AI members.

It matters not to me how other people may perceive how I make other Apple users look. As I've stated many times before, I only speak for myself here. I like to tell it how I see it, and I'm not bothered if the truth may offend a certain segment of people. Android is a crap platform and Fandroids are full of shit.

And I'm sure that many Apple fans here agree with me, as I get PM's that can attest to that fact.
  • Reply 38 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmallon View Post

And Sweden is also the country where they have stupid stuff like the Pirate Party. It's no surprise that pirates, freeloaders and people who prefer to steal stuff will naturally gravitate towards an inferior platform like Android.
  • Reply 39 of 139
    Judging by all those "F**k christmas, didn't get iPhone!" tweets that are circulating the web, I would assume most of these activations are android
  • Reply 40 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Dont worry, there are real lonely people that need to cause a stir on forums to feel important, then there are the rest of us. I normally block these types but sometimes the delusions are priceless. These are the types the think Apple's accomplishments are a direct reflection on them and guage their importance on the things the "claim" to own.