Steve Wozniak on Microsoft Surface: 'Steve Jobs came back reincarnated at Microsoft'

Comments

• Reply 181 of 206
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) It's not odd that you agree with me. It just means you are intelligent enough to recognize genius. ????
    2) I see Woz and Jobs as looking in different directions. Woz took a microscope to tech to see how he could make it better whilst Jobs took a telescope to see how he could move the stars to suit his needs. Both with a vision. Both with dedication and focus. Both fundamentally different personalities and goals. I wonder how much of Jobs is based on his environment and how much is based on his biological acumen. Nature v. nurture. I ask this because it seems to me that being successful is usually not a result of being smart but being dedicated and much of Jobs success seems not to be a desire for understanding and knowing (as I see with Woz) but a desire to conquer, to control to shape. Surely I've gone off track here I do wonder if abandonment issues aren't key to his overwhelming success in business.

Very good point (the second one) -- and nicely expressed -- I particularly like the microscope/telescope analog.

As to going off track, we'll just call you Sol Krauthammer!
  • Reply 182 of 206
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cronked View Post

Two questions:

1.  Why does Woz keep talking about technology as if he is relevant and influencing innovation?

2.  Why do people keep quoting Woz as if he is relevant and influencing innovation?

Still riding the 15 minutes he renewed when he guested on TBBT?

But at least he hasn't bought some dumb island......

• Reply 183 of 206
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Very good point (the second one)...

But not the first one? lol ????
  • Reply 184 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I disagree. Jobs was a visionary. He was an opportunist. He saw how he could use people to achieve a goal. Perhaps even goals those people didn't think they could achieve. If he hadn't found Woz he would have found someone else, something else, to change the world. He might not have started Apple but I think he would have changed the world in the some way.

Jobs simply has too many amazing wins under his belt to call it a fluke. Even his biggest failure, NeXT, was sold for half-billion dollars, is the foundation for the world's 2nd most common OS, was the start of so many great things in computing, and was really only hampered because he couldn't sell in the consumer sector.

Woz is brilliant. No one is denying that. Woz would have always become a brilliant engineer without Jobs, but I doubt that Woz would be a name we know today without Jobs. Perhaps he would be a footnote in history somewhere the way many brilliant people are that never became the face of a revolution. He might have stayed at HP because it's a good job that paid him very well and appreciated his work. He might have set HP so far ahead of the industry that the world might still be chasing them and their OS today but I don't think Woz would be known as the sole engineer responsible for it all even if he was the catalyst.

I know many brilliant people. Perhaps not as brilliant as Woz at engineering, but people that are far smarter than the average person (several of them from this forum) and yet most of them all have one thing in common, they don't have the drive or passion to be as quixotic or hubristic to think they can actually change the world. I would say they all wish they can, but like me, they've done nothing that ever seriously achieve that goal. That is the element I think Woz and the rest of us are missing. That is the element that Jobs had.

Most sound, logical and thought out post yet. Thanks Soli...

• Reply 185 of 206
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Where's his respect for a dead person who is not here to answer back or refute his dumb comment?

Steve Jobs would not have liked his comment.

FFS grow up crayon boy. He was paying (his friend) Jobs a compliment.

You bemoan the fact that the dead can not defend/express themselves, then you qualify yourself as a mouth piece for the dead. Are you a psychic or just a hypocrite?

• Reply 186 of 206

This could not be more inaccurate. In the iPad1 keynote, Jobs -humorously I might add- says that tablets "do nothing  better."  While this thing is not a tablet,  it has unnecessary openings, hinges, keyboard, etc. I could not see this coming out of Cupertino. 

• Reply 187 of 206
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    carmissimo wrote: »
    The Surface is about getting far more expensive software, which Microsoft make a lot of money from, onto tablets. The iPad model is based on insanely inexpensive software that Microsoft does not profit off of, certainly not in any appreciable manner.
    If a lot more consumers are turning to their iPads more often and iPads become progressively more capable - which they will - that's bad news for a major player in software running on traditional computer platforms. So of course it is in Microsoft's best interests to get standard (and far more expensive) software running on tablets.
    It is ironic that Apple's closed system has led to access to absurdly inexpensive software from a wide variety of software developers whereas the open system favored by Microsoft has ended up making Microsoft insane amounts of money.
    Is this Jobs re-born? Not quite.
    Eh? Microsoft make money from Microsoft software. The price of PC software in general has nothing to do with Microsoft. Plus there always has been the equivalent free / cheap software for pcs, it's called shareware! Apps are essentially shareware, they even now have the adds and purchases after you've bought the thing.
  • Reply 188 of 206
    This could not be more inaccurate. In the iPad1 keynote, Jobs -humorously I might add- says that tablets "do nothing  better."  While this thing is not a tablet,  it has unnecessary openings, hinges, keyboard, etc. I could not see this coming out of Cupertino. 

What hour and minute marker did he state that and/or what is his exact comment?
  • Reply 189 of 206

This guy is trying sso hard to still be relevant, he really does say anything about anything. I mean i`ll give him credit for the early work he did at Apple but like this guy seems to understand little when it comes to the full package. Even if the surface by chance was a fantastic product, no microsoft product would in anyway or form be a reincarnation of Steve Jobs, thats insulting. Microsoft lacks the vision to hold one clear company direction together. Admittedly, I think they are doing much better at consistancy and really creating a theme across the board but I really doubt their ability to keep it up, especially when they dont produce 90% of the hardware their products are made on.

• Reply 190 of 206
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkshowonmute View Post

This guy is trying sso hard to still be relevant, he really does say anything about anything. I mean i`ll give him credit for the early work he did at Apple but like this guy seems to understand little when it comes to the full package. Even if the surface by chance was a fantastic product, no microsoft product would in anyway or form be a reincarnation of Steve Jobs, thats insulting. Microsoft lacks the vision to hold one clear company direction together. Admittedly, I think they are doing much better at consistancy and really creating a theme across the board but I really doubt their ability to keep it up, especially when they dont produce 90% of the hardware their products are made on.

it should be obvious to everyone that Woz simply craves public attention, and will say/do most anything to get it. stand in lines for the iPhone, so as to be sure to be interviewed on camera. give out over-the-top quotes to anyone willing to print them - which these days is guaranteed to get web posting.

well, ok, so do the Kardashians. but when he uses Jobs' memory as a tech trash talk attention-getter, then he has crossed some line of basic lack of respect.

• Reply 191 of 206
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

The Microsoft Surface is the future of computing. Even if it fails as a device it is the direction all tablets are going. The Wacom was out a long time ago and so were the Slates. Tablet computers will be on par with laptops in the near future. From then on will be the battle between personal choices of tablet versus laptop. Many people now prefer having a keyboard for all of their input and others don't need one, thus; a rudimentary keyboard on the touch screen is good enough.

The track record of Microsoft and making hardware this complicated isn't good. They have learned lessons from their mistakes of the past. The Surface might actually work as advertised.

Woz is a tech junkie and he really should create a tech review site. He could become the most relevant reviewer almost instantly. As a guy who can actually understand and even build a high tech device he would have instant credibility.

I'm sure Woz could totally destroy the Surface if he gave it a bad review.

You and MS just don't get the tablet market.  95% of us don't want or need to use it as an input device.  When I go on trips I take my iPad and my MacBook Air.  Some things are just better viewed and navigated on a touch screen and some things are better created with a laptop.  The reason the market will not adopt the Surface is because the keyboard and the screen need to be connected with a swivel so you can change the angle of the screen depending on what you are doing.  If you concede that the keyboard has to be rigid and attached in a pivoting fashion, the keyboard is going to significantly add to the size and weight of the device, thereby compromising the tablet form factor. 

The devices are different: the hardware is different, the input mechanisms are different, the OS is different......  Unfortunately for the shareholders of MS stock, it doesn't look like MS management is ever going to figure this out.

For many of us, the failure of MS Surface is as obvious as the failure of RIM was 2 years ago. Mark my words FAILURE.  

• Reply 192 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

You and MS just don't get the tablet market.  95% of us don't want or need to use it as an input device.  When I go on trips I take my iPad and my MacBook Air.  Some things are just better viewed and navigated on a touch screen and some things are better created with a laptop.  The reason the market will not adopt the Surface is because the keyboard and the screen need to be connected with a swivel so you can change the angle of the screen depending on what you are doing.  If you concede that the keyboard has to be rigid and attached in a pivoting fashion, the keyboard is going to significantly add to the size and weight of the device, thereby compromising the tablet form factor. 

The devices are different: the hardware is different, the input mechanisms are different, the OS is different......  Unfortunately for the shareholders of MS stock, it doesn't look like MS management is ever going to figure this out.

For many of us, the failure of MS Surface is as obvious as the failure of RIM was 2 years ago. Mark my words FAILURE.  

??? Not sure that i understand your point

The (thinner) keyboard is only adding 3mm to the overall thickness. With regard to the angle that the screen sits at, I don't know if the kick stand allows for different angles or not. I seldom feel it necessary to reposition my laptop screen? Frankly when typing more than a few words I find on screen keyboards to be annoying, given how much screen real estate they take up. I also prefer to type in the horizontal plane and have my screen tilted. I would rather that the screen was at eye level (without needing to look down) but this is not the case with current laptops.

Sure, there is an element of compromise with the Surface, as there is with laptops and tablets, for me personally those downsides might (or might not) be ameliorated by the upsides.

If by your definition I am a 5%er, then so be it. I am glad that someone is willing to cater for my needs. Frankly I don't care a jot if 95% of the (small base of) tablet owners have a different product.

• Reply 193 of 206
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

...or posting!

Hey Dick follow your own advice.

• Reply 194 of 206
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcdinkins View Post

Hey Dick follow your own advice.

Don't be a dick!

• Reply 195 of 206
    Don't be a dick!

Unless you're going be a Dickprinter or Dick Applebaum.
  • Reply 196 of 206
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    bladedag wrote: »
    sr2012 - my post is reffering to the Surface (rubbish made from rubbish) - I am an Apple dude - you got it wrong way around in your post, I'm already in the post PC world  - the 'war' is against a resurgence of MS crap. Stick with Job's vision and give people what they do not know about - read his book ;)

OK cool I 100% agree with you.
  • Reply 197 of 206
    kotatsu wrote: »
    If only you knew how crazy you sound.  I mean come on, re-read your post and ask yourself if that's seriously what you believe.

Some immaturity of fanboys on the internet never ceases to depress.

I'm with BladeDag though. Woz likes the "cheap wine", his taste seems to have gone downhill. Backed too many crappy gadgets.
    jcdinkins wrote: »
    At the point when you become senile, you should just quit talking.

It's sad to see Bill Gates go downhill like this.
  • Reply 198 of 206
    Upon further reflection, I feel Steve Wozniak has been utterly disrespectful and has betrayed Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 199 of 206
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    bladedag wrote: »
    sr2012 - my post is reffering to the Surface (rubbish made from rubbish) - I am an Apple dude - you got it wrong way around in your post, I'm already in the post PC world  - the 'war' is against a resurgence of MS crap. Stick with Job's vision and give people what they do not know about - read his book ;)
    Lol. Read that back, "post pc", "war", "apple dude". Haven't read most of the thread, but you sound like a brainwashed monkey.
  • Reply 200 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Lol. Read that back, "post pc", "war", "apple dude". Haven't read most of the thread, but you sound like a brainwashed monkey.

Exactly what is "post pc" anyway?