G5 next week. Certain.

Comments

• Reply 20 of 252
    Wait, what?? Apple's going to update the G4 line to DP Apollos for one month?

Well that's a financially sound decision. I mean, if they are taking orders for both G4s and G5s, then I wonder how many G4s they'll sell...lesseehere....uh....add twelve...carry the five...and it looks like exactly none.
  • Reply 22 of 252
    gustavgustav Posts: 828member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>I know a kid from school who's dad is an EE and he TOLD me that G5's would ship shortly and that is when he would upgrade.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Heh heh, I know several EE's and guess what - I had to explain to them what a processor pipeline is and how a processor with a longer pipeline can require more CPU cycles to execute an instruction compared to a processor with a shorter pipeline.

I have a CS degree and I know many of my fellow students did their whole degree without even touching a Macintosh, or even a Windows PC - they did all their work on Sun UNIX workstations.

Degrees and titles are only that - they prove you learned the theory, that doesn't always mean they used that theory to keep up on what's out there in the real world.
  • Reply 23 of 252
    [quote]Originally posted by philbot:

<strong>There WILL be a G5 PM announced next week, you can order it, but it won't ship till March.

Speed: 800DP, 1000DP, 1200DP</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think this is absolute BS.But i am happy to be proved wrong.

[quote]

The current PM line will all be DP Apollo 800, 900, 1000 Mhz immediately.<hr></blockquote>

Thats more likely.

[quote]Powerbook will ship 733 and 867.

<hr></blockquote> I'm not too shore about this one. But it could happen.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Alpha Mac ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 252
    G5? No way. Not going to happen.

G4 800 MHz

G4 933 MHz

G4 1.0 GHz

All levels optional dual upon custom config at the Apple Store.
  • Reply 25 of 252
    A couple posts now have said "speed bump immediately, followed shortly by G5s". The time delay between the bump and the G5s is questionable, and I would be very surprised if it was just a month -- but 4-5 months wouldn't be unreasonable. Or...

Consider the point I made last week: if the G5s are announced and they are blazingly fast, imagine the supply problem that Apple will have. If they just drop the current G4 and make people wait for the G5, nobody will be able to get new machines for months. A sound strategy might be to make a speed bumped machine available in the short term for those who absolutely need a machine immediately, but pre-announce the G5 so that people can make their own call whether to wait or buy right away. I'll bet the G5 will command an impressive margin until the supplies loosen up.

Or this is all just a pipedream from somebody who either likes the attention or is smokin' some serious pot.

• Reply 26 of 252
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    speed bumped AND announcement of G5 in a few months? Who would buy PMG4s if they know a revolutionary G5 is around the corner?
  • Reply 27 of 252
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>speed bumped AND announcement of G5 in a few months? Who would buy PMG4s if they know a revolutionary G5 is around the corner?</strong><hr></blockquote>

For those people who REALLY need to upgrade.

But I would still rather wait
  • Reply 27 of 252

<strong>speed bumped AND announcement of G5 in a few months? Who would buy PMG4s if they know a revolutionary G5 is around the corner?</strong><hr></blockquote>

If the waiting list for a G5 is 6 months long and you need 20 expandable machines immediately for the minimum price that don't need to be superfast... then it would make sense, wouldn't it? Not everybody has the same purchase criteria as you do (or I do), and Apple knows this. They could even sweeten the deal a little with options for better video cards, larger disks, more memory (at their current good price), more processors.
  • Reply 29 of 252
    If it's the G5... WHY AREN"T THEY HYPING IT?

I mean, even the iPod had a special couple weeks of "mystery announcement" hype. The iBook revision had the press called to a meeting at Apple headquarters, so we knew something was going to happen a couple weeks in advance.

But if they really will announce the G5 next week, why aren't they doing anything vis a vis press invites right now? I think it's because the announcement isn't for a little while yet. They may have them coming out soon (Feb. or March?) but for now they'll just speedbump the G4's.

That's my speculation.
  • Reply 30 of 252
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by pathogen:

<strong>If it's the G5... WHY AREN"T THEY HYPING IT?

I mean, even the iPod had a special couple weeks of "mystery announcement" hype. The iBook revision had the press called to a meeting at Apple headquarters, so we knew something was going to happen a couple weeks in advance.

But if they really will announce the G5 next week, why aren't they doing anything vis a vis press invites right now? I think it's because the announcement isn't for a little while yet. They may have them coming out soon (Feb. or March?) but for now they'll just speedbump the G4's.

That's my speculation.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Very good point.
  • Reply 31 of 252
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by Dave Hagan:

<strong>G5? No way. Not going to happen.

G4 800 MHz

G4 933 MHz

G4 1.0 GHz

All levels optional dual upon custom config at the Apple Store.</strong><hr></blockquote>

My guess:

867 MHz

1 GHz

Dual 933 MHz
  • Reply 32 of 252
    Hahahaha......hahahaha.......hahahaha......hahahah .

Did I mention?

I think he messed up the title of his thread. It should have been.

G5 next week certainly NOT.
  • Reply 33 of 252
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Not everyone needs a G5.

Not everyone needs a limited iMac.

A G4 range from $1700-2500

A G5 range from $3000-4500

Think for a second. Maybe there are not a lot of G5s, so Apple can still sell "prosumers" G4s and sell G5s to real Pros.

There is nothing wrong with this line up. It allows lower-cost low end EXPANDABLE machines and gives pros what they want...

Apple gets to keep and older Mobo and Post-beta test a new Mobo on a small number of technically expert users.

Possible. Reality? We'll find out by the Superbowl....
  • Reply 34 of 252
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

If they price these speed bumped G4's so aggressively, one might not wait or pass up.

Also, I'm sure the G5's would command a premium price so having a "low-end" pro-line of G4's might attract quite a large audience.
  • Reply 35 of 252
    [quote]Originally posted by Dave Hagan:

<strong>G5? No way. Not going to happen.

G4 800 MHz

G4 933 MHz

G4 1.0 GHz

All levels optional dual upon custom config at the Apple Store.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The voice of logic and reason. Thank you. I doubt any of these are Apollos either. Those will go into the TiBook (hopefully at Macworld Tokyo) and future iMacs. I think we will see G5s at MWNY at the earliest, Seybold at the latest.
  • Reply 36 of 252
    [quote]Originally posted by jccbin:

<strong>

A G4 range from $1700-2500

A G5 range from $3000-4500

Think for a second. Maybe there are not a lot of G5s, so Apple can still sell "prosumers" G4s and sell G5s to real Pros.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is something I've believed for a while -- that there is room for consumer Macs, Powermacs, and above that, "ProMacs" or "Supermacs."

I really do believe that there's a market for $4-6000 extremely high-end machines -- maybe a model tailored to 3d, a Photoshop monster, and a digital AV machine.

I know people who think nothing of spending $20k for Pro Tools gear to make their $2500 Powermac process audio faster. Give them the option of a $6000 machine that will run those processes natively on the CPUs, and people will snap them up. They won't sell in iMac or iBook numbers, but that's not the point. Apple would gain back the distinction fo being truly the "pro's computer," and they could earn a solid profit on these high-end machines.

That is.... IF the G5 is even really going to be ready by March as this person says. But actually, the same thing could be accomplished by quad (or more) multi-processor machines, new bus/memory technology, and much faster hard drives.
  • Reply 37 of 252
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I would just like to know where all those "insiders" who work for CompUSA and the like are. They usually are the first to come on here to inform us that certain models have gone EOL (end of line)...anyone care to elaborate?
  • Reply 38 of 252
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Well, I don't know if there is anything to this but Macusers have for some time now been clamoring for a lower priced tower ( with all it's expansion capabilitys ) with a lower price.

Unlike the Cube and the imac it has a lot more potental beyond just having a good CPU and looking cool.

I hope there is something to this and it's not just a cruel hoax. This would definitely put the fire back in Apple.

Well, we will know soon but, if it's not true I think we should vote this guy off these boards ( we won't I know but I think that would be fair ).
  • Reply 39 of 252
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>I am reading this with a ****ing large grain of salt. I do think that the G5 will be released this moth in shipping quantities. I know a kid from school who's dad is an EE and he TOLD me that G5's would ship shortly and that is when he would upgrade.

Just what he said?</strong><hr></blockquote>

• Reply 40 of 252
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    [quote]Originally posted by philbot:

<strong>There WILL be a G5 PM announced next week, you can order it, but it won't ship till March.

Speed: 800DP, 1000DP, 1200DP

The current PM line will all be DP Apollo 800, 900, 1000 Mhz immediately.

Powerbook will ship 733 and 867.

In a few days you will see...</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's quite clear this guy doesn't understand bus multipliers. Is Apple gonna move back to 100MHz bus speed? [where is that skeptical icon??]