G5 next week. Certain.

Comments

• Reply 101 of 252
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by bandalay:

<strong>2 x 1.4 x SGI x Tuesday = ?

Apple will announce dual 1.4GhZ PowerMacs, and purchase ailing SGI at close of day Tuesday, leaving little question as to their attitude towards power, 3D and the desktop.

Coincidentally SGI will also announces earnings - and theoretically the buyout - on that day.

You heard it here second.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why buy SGI after they just sold off their hot 3D patents to M$?

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: KidRed ]</p>
  • Reply 102 of 252
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    SGI has nothing to offer Apple. It would be a complete waste of money to buy what's left of them.
  • Reply 103 of 252
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>

Odd that a bible thumper would speak of "evidence".

:confused: </strong><hr></blockquote>

Odd that an atheist would accuse a christian of not having evidence when he's in the same boat.

Topic = G5s

Topic != religous debate.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: cowofwar ]</p>
  • Reply 104 of 252
    [quote]Originally posted by cowofwar:

<strong>

Odd that an atheist would accuse a christian of not having evidence when he's in the same boat.

Topic = G5s

Topic != religous debate.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: cowofwar ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Most atheist's base their belief on the "lack of" christian/all religious evidence. So atheists really don't need evidence to make up their mind.
  • Reply 105 of 252
    Someone argued that the G5 wouldn't come out because Apple has spent so much time optimizing everything for AltiVec. Guess what?! The G5 will HAVE AltiVec.
  • Reply 106 of 252
    [quote] Odd that an atheist would accuse a christian of not having evidence when he's in the same boat.

<hr></blockquote>

You've already labeled me as an atheist without any evidence. Is that what one would call "faith-based labeling"?

As far as atheists and Christians both lacking evidence, you can swim in your own pool, mate. There is plenty of evidence that refutes the existence of a Christian God, but since religion is based on faith, evidence doesn't really matter, does it? So for a Christian to argue about evidence goes against the very tenants of their religion--one's faith should be unwavering, no matter what the evidence. In fact among some Christian sects, a lack of faith is punishable by eternal damnation to the firey pits of hell, to spend one's afterlife in excruciating pain and torture at the hands of Satan.

So if I were a Christian, I'd be reading that Bible every spare minute, memorizing that bitch and working on my faith rituals so I could avoid the hot molten magma spewed forth upon my soul by the wrath of Satan. It's just not worth it to be unfaithful. You dig? Even the mere thought that evidence might be needed to believe in the existence of God could lead to an eternal afterlife of exquisite agony and despair, of a sort unknown to any living mortal.
  • Reply 107 of 252
    Usually I have to roll my eyes at JD's posts, but this one was hilarious.

======================

Does anyone have any *evidence* of a G5 next week?

Someone labeled its introduction "Certain."
  • Reply 108 of 252
    Lets not get on the topic of religion. No one will get any where. back to topic.

What happened to Philbot the guy who posted this topic. Where did he get his info. PHILBOT WHERE ARE YOU!!! You better be right or i'm sending you to hell.
  • Reply 109 of 252
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    One would assume that apple is coming out with something new next week, or at least some time soon, as their consumer line is almost as good as their pro models.

Now all they have to do is halve the price.

Maybe they'll come out with the G5, but I'm sure they wont touch the price, unless it's to tack on a bit more.
  • Reply 110 of 252
    a/uxa/ux Posts: 38member

<strong>

You've already labeled me as an atheist without any evidence. Is that what one would call "faith-based labeling"?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

So JD, what do you believe?

Will there be new pro machines next week? Is there a God? The keys to universe right there!

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: A/UX ]</p>
  • Reply 111 of 252
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Buonrotto stole my line.

No.

It'll kill sales.

You can't have two lines of PowerMacs - that disrupts the product matrix. PowerMacs ARE Pros.

How good could that look anyway?

"Oh, we've caught up finally. For $4k, that is."

No way.
  • Reply 112 of 252
    [quote]Originally posted by cinder:

<strong>Buonrotto stole my line.

No.

It'll kill sales.

You can't have two lines of PowerMacs - that disrupts the product matrix. PowerMacs ARE Pros.

How good could that look anyway?

"Oh, we've caught up finally. For $4k, that is."

No way.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think the point was, to make the current towers a consumer model and the G5 the pro model. The iMac now fills the lower gap, the current G4s could fill the middle to high end gap and then the g5s could be the monsters, servers, workstations and such.

Dunno, I just want my G5
  • Reply 113 of 252

<strong>There is plenty of evidence that refutes the existence of a Christian God</strong><hr></blockquote>

Like?

But again, we're talking about g5s here!
  • Reply 114 of 252
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>SGI has nothing to offer Apple. It would be a complete waste of money to buy what's left of them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

quote from another source:

---------------------

SGI has Alias/Wavefront which has 3D software (including Maya) used in nearly every new Hollywood movie that has any special effects including the movies made by Pixar. This alone is software that Apple should own.

SGI has Numaflex architecture which allows them to build very scalable high end systems. That is, you add additional I/O blocks when you need more I/O. You add additional CPU blocks when you need more processing power. You add additional Graphics adapters when you need more displays.

Numaflex allows almost infinite scalability. Wouldn't it be nice if you could add more processors to your Mac when you needed (up to thousands, if your app could use it)? This stuff is great for 3D.

SGI has its own version of Unix (IRIX) that can scale to use over a thousand processors on a single system image. Granted, there aren't tons of applications that need this power, but the ones that do (like simulating weather or rendering a scene in a movie) really need this type of capability.

The MIPS processor that SGI uses doesn't nearly match up in power to the PowerPC, but the integration of hardware and software yield a combination that can't be touched by the competition for high end processing (especially on scalability of 3D graphics).

The integration of these technologies with Apple's would result in billions of additional high margin revenue and would trickle down to the PC space (not that it isn't trickling down anyway).

They also have over a billion dollars in revenue ($1.9B last year) which represents real customers speaking with real dollars.

---------------
  • Reply 115 of 252
    I think its clear - if Steve was introducing a G 5 or a G od next week there would have been more hype. I can't decide which I believe in less :-)

Michael
  • Reply 116 of 252
    There's no doubt we are only getting QS's speed bumped. Some are hoping for a surprise, but I think it's more realistic to assume July for the G5's release which would be almost 6 months from tomorrow supposed speed bump.
  • Reply 117 of 252
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    [quote]

think the point was, to make the current towers a consumer model and the G5 the pro model. The iMac now fills the lower gap, the current G4s could fill the middle to high end gap and then the g5s could be the monsters, servers, workstations and such.

<hr></blockquote>

no, the iMac is for consumers. the PowerMac is for pros. The PowerMac Server does not warrant its own part of the matrix.

It simply doesnt make Apple any money.

I want a G5 as much as anyone - but I just don't see it happening now, and especially not in that configuration.

Unless they're gluttons for punishment.

We'd be reading 900000000 threads and notes about how pissed people are that they'd try something like that.
  • Reply 118 of 252
    [quote]Originally posted by cinder:

<strong>

no, the iMac is for consumers. the PowerMac is for pros. The PowerMac Server does not warrant its own part of the matrix.

It simply doesnt make Apple any money.

I want a G5 as much as anyone - but I just don't see it happening now, and especially not in that configuration.

Unless they're gluttons for punishment.

We'd be reading 900000000 threads and notes about how pissed people are that they'd try something like that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think it's happening either, not till july anyways (se my above post)

I was just relaying a poster's point. It's interesting, but the g5's won't be ready for a few months, so it;s just specualtion about specualtion
  • Reply 119 of 252
    wfzellewfzelle Posts: 137member
    I expect Apple to bring out new G4's soon, perhaps at Tokyo, perhaps before. Then I would expect the G5 at the end of the year (well, septemberish). This makes most sense, the G5's would be in great demand. It seems wisest to use the current good supply of G4's for some multi-CPU action while stockpiling G5's. Besides, we've seen Motorola having problems with production before. Better not to risk a downgrade.

I wouldn't expect a new enclosure for the G4's. The Quicksilver look is still very young, there hasn't been any enclosure that lasted for such a short time. Besides it would be perfect to accompany the G5 with a new case to make for a stunning new introduction. Why put a new enclosure around a speed-bump?

This schedule would also make for a perfect synchronization with the iMac update in 7 months (the average update cycle), which would probably consist of Firewire 800 and USB 2 (and perhaps DDR).

But of course this is written without any inside knowledge. Just trying to be be sensible about the current rumors.

PS. IMHO the best 'faith' is to be an agnost. Whenever there is a debate about religion you'll be able to say: 'I don't care, let's talk about the upcoming G5'.
  • Reply 120 of 252
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    [quote]Originally posted by bandalay:

<strong>

quote from another source:

---------------------

...SGI has Numaflex architecture which allows them to build very scalable high end systems. That is, you add additional I/O blocks when you need more I/O. You add additional CPU blocks when you need more processing power. You add additional Graphics adapters when you need more displays...

---------------</strong><hr></blockquote>

The only problem with this is that Apple has been moving away from "scalabel archatecture". They would rather you buy a new G4 or G5 than just add a processor, which Apple does not sell as add ons. And based on Apples past performance on upgrade pricing (such as on RAM), they could not compete in the upgrade card market.