Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone

Comments

• Reply 121 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by TzTerri View Post

Make an option for phone features on all of their iPads and call them iPad Office.

Even better allow me to move my SIM card between devices so that if aI want a small phone I can take my regular iPhone with me but if I want a full size device then I can use a full size iPda or the iPad mini.

That would be awesome, but in the USA the telecoms and their wholly owned yes boy the FCC-—who exist solely to squash competition to the big established players—would never allow it. We are their cash cows.

• Reply 122 of 318
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because the only way that can ever happen is through lawsuits. So why waste time making crap for 1/100th of the population?

At your Microsoft interview, link them to this post. They'll like that.

1/100th? I bet if they do introduce a larger iPhone, it'll cannabalize at least 20% of the current iPhone market, let alone attract another 10's of millions of users. It won't take lawsuits. It just takes a better product that appeals to the most people it possibly can, at a price that satisfies the market. Easy enough, wouldn't you say? Like I said, iPod did it, and it did it with multiple variations - iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPod Shuffle. Something for eveyone...

As far as your second comment. That is about as dumb of a reply I can think of. Many of you can't see the forest through the trees, can you?

• Reply 123 of 318

Quote:

No, it has roughly 1/10th Apple's marketshare.

Now you're really showing your stupidity. "Windows" was implied. Windows 8 may have 10%, but Windows has 90%, making the Mac a niche product.

• Reply 124 of 318
    frankie wrote: »
    The phone is fine.  If you want something bigger get a tablet.  Seriously who wants to carry something that big?  I think the iphone 5 is perfect combination of both.

I have an iPhone 5 and I think its 4-inch Retina is great. The problem with Apples strategy though is that they produce one phone a year and assume it will be great for everyone, which is not the case. I work with low-tech people all the time, and many older folks have trouble typing on a small screen, hitting the touch targets, and just can't see the text. Not to mention bigger screens can be great for web browsing, videos, etc.

The line of reason, i supppose, is that there's no reason they can't produce a 4-incher and a 5-incher simultaneously. There are 5 different iPod form factors being sold at any given time, and it's not like Apple found THE perfect ipod form factor. Why not keep the iPhone 5 size for those who like it, and sell an iPhone+ for those who want it?
  • Reply 125 of 318
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    We see this one a lot. Here's the basic form of the argument: Because something once happened that someone thought wouldn't, anything and everything will happen.

Is that really the argument you want to make?

But you really can't say that it won't either.
  • Reply 126 of 318

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

I bet if they do introduce a larger iPhone, it'll cannabalize at least 20% of the current iPhone market…

[citation needed]

It won't take lawsuits. It just takes a better product that appeals to the most people it possibly can, at a price that satisfies the market. Easy enough, wouldn't you say?

No, it takes lawsuits. Anyone can churn out whatever crap they want and people will pay for it because it's one cent cheaper than the better alternative.

As far as your second comment. That is about as dumb of a reply I can think of. Many of you can't see the forest through the trees, can you?

But you agree with what I said, since you don't seem to have any sort of reply or rebuttal.

You'd have to be a fool to think Apple isn't going for marketshare. It just doesn't need said.

• Reply 127 of 318
    So limited...

40 million S3, 10 million note 2, 30 million (razr, xperia, One, dna, EVERY SINGLE high end android phone now) costumers Apple lost just because they do not offer big screens.

All these phones lose on everything else, cost the same, but have bigger screens, that's the reason they sell.
    Would you lose something if Apple creates another iPhone model?

Stop your non-sense, please. 

And how do you know those could've been Apple customers?
  • Reply 128 of 318

Quote:

Buahahaha... A niche product is one that doesn't have universal appeal. Last I looked, even though Windows 8 is a bust, it still has nearly 90% of the market, making the Mac a niche product. 

Sorry, but not having majority market share doesn't make you a niche product. 10% of anything isn't a niche, nor is raw market share alone the only consideration regarding whether something is a niche product. Macs are not niche products. Apple isn't chasing niches.

• Reply 129 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But you really can't say that it won't either.

Sorry, that's not an argument either.

• Reply 130 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

So limited...

40 million S3, 10 million note 2, 30 million (razr, xperia, One, dna, EVERY SINGLE high end android phone now) costumers Apple lost just because they do not offer big screens.

All these phones lose on everything else, cost the same, but have bigger screens, that's the reason they sell.

Would you lose something if Apple creates another iPhone model?

Stop your non-sense, please. 

Not entirely. The other comment I find most often as to why Android users choose it over iPhone is customizability. You can swap just about everything out from the keyboard to the widgets and icons. Many people like that personalization they can do.

• Reply 131 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Why, because it isn't YOUR argument? That was so dumb, I have no idea why you bothered...

• Reply 132 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Sorry, but not having majority market share doesn't make you a niche product. 10% of anything isn't a niche, nor is raw market share alone the only consideration regarding whether something is a niche product. Macs are not niche products. Apple isn't chasing niches.

Stay in denial all you want...

• Reply 133 of 318

Quote:

... history repeats itself.

I'm pretty sure you're just a troll at this point, but, no, the evidence is in and history does not in fact repeat itself.

• Reply 134 of 318
    No1 wants big ass phones .. except a few idiots who would be better off with a android in the first way. I say.. Just leave the current screen size and stop whit the nonsence of the "screen battle"
  • Reply 135 of 318

Quote:

[citation needed]

No, it takes lawsuits. Anyone can churn out whatever crap they want and people will pay for it because it's one cent cheaper than the better alternative.

But you agree with what I said, since you don't seem to have any sort of reply or rebuttal.

You'd have to be a fool to think Apple isn't going for marketshare. It just doesn't need said.

Don't need a citation. I was waging a bet, not asserting a fact.

Then explain to me how the iPod won out? It wasn't the cheapest. Certainly products from Sandisk and others were cheaper.

No, I don't. I think it was so stupid, it didn't require a rebuttal.

• Reply 136 of 318
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mvigod wrote: »
    Apple missed this a year ago.  Now Cook says they have the perfect form factor with the iPhone 5 and have no intention of changing that.  Denial not just a river in egypt.  Apple completely missed the boat here.  If no larger iphone in 2013 they are going to fall even further behind.  If apple does do a larger iphone late this year or next year samsung will already have their S5 and S6 out leaving the slower moving apple further behind.   Sad to see things stall out so fast in Jobs absence.

Look what happen to Apple in the last year, they only had the most profitable calendar year in human history. Such a failure. They have 2/3 rds of the mobile profits and yet they are "falling behind". Gimme a break. Apple will release a 5" iPhone if and when it's ready (and profitable).

Btw, Apple missed out on those net books too.
  • Reply 137 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by newrocket View Post

No1 wants big ass phones .. except a few idiots who would be better off with a android in the first way. I say.. Just leave the current screen size and stop whit the nonsence of the "screen battle"

Funny, given the marketshare outside US, the market seems to disagree with you. Android now pummels the iPhone in worldwide marketshare.

• Reply 138 of 318
    anonymouse wrote: »

It's not a argument it's the truth.
  • Reply 139 of 318
    Phablets feed the 'bigger is better' croud.. the 'muscle' nerds large move to it because it was the latest.. Then you have those that don't want to carry 2 devices, and merge the two with a phablet.

My issue, updates - Samsung design's a pre-death nail into their products when it comes to updates, they draaaaag their feet as long as possible once it's not the newest device to 'encourage' you to upgrade.. they make money from that, not the OS updates. I've had a iPhone 4 since retail. it's running iOS 6.1 - yea, it doesn't get all features, but it's not the newest. But at least it's up-to-date and secure.

Me, I end up reaching for m tablet anyway. So I figure, stick with what I have.
  • Reply 140 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Look what happen to Apple in the last year, they only had the most profitable calendar year in human history. Such a failure. They have 2/3 rds of the mobile profits and yet they are "falling behind". Gimme a break. Apple will release a 5" iPhone if and when it's ready (and profitable).

Btw, Apple missed out on those net books too.

Hey buddy, GM once had 60% marketshare and was the most profitable car company in the world. Where are they now?