Apple, Inc. gets its fingerprints on advanced touch sensor, appears difficult for Android to copy

Comments

• Reply 101 of 212

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The Home button is too small to be a finger print reader. 

The fingerprint sensor on the Pantech in the photo above looks to be similar in size to the home button.

I'm no expert in the technology, so I couldn't say whether it can or cannot be done, this is merely speculation.

• Reply 102 of 212
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAKings33 View Post

On a side note, the company Pantech has a fingerprint sensor on the back of their Vega LTE-A smartphone.

Dint you know that touch screens existed even before the iPhone that came in 2007 ?

I wonder why why all the touch oriented revolution started all over again :)

• Reply 103 of 212
    airbubbleairbubble Posts: 105member
    Finger Me!
  • Reply 104 of 212
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

And this is exactly why Silicon Valley has attracted more bright minds than NYC over the years.  Too much stock in veneer and not enough in substance.

On a side note, I do love NYC, but East Village and Brooklyn are more to my taste (at least, last time I was there).  Experiencing creativity and passion in music/art/culinary art/technology is what excites me (no matter what it's dressed up in).

• Reply 105 of 212
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    nexusphan wrote: »
    Google+ auto-sign in already does this across the web and android eco system. Without the need for a gimmicky finger print reader. And I don't think android manufacturers look to Apple anymore. With 80% world market share, why would they?

Because Androiders can't help themselves as they need inspiration to do things correctly rather than slap features onto a phone.
    Uh, yes. I don't use a password to buy apps. I hate that about the Apple app store. So freakin annoying. If you're logged into your phone that is linked to a google account anything with a password (that accepts G+) is bypassed.

As you later posted, it's a setting you can turn off. It's on primarily for parents who use idevices as baby sitters.
    That's quite the blind fanboi comment there. Why put settings in the settings menu when you can bury them so our dumba$$ iOS users don't go looking for them. This is why Apple has fallen behind. This is why Apple will have a harder time catching up then it should. It's this blind following kool-aid drinking that Apple sees no reason to innovate anymore. I'm done for the day. I've had enough.

It's easier to scan small well defined lists than a list of dozens of options.

Walk into a NYC high rise office with those cheap lookin gloves. See how long you last.
    You'd think the company that built its empire around being the "in" and trendy device would be the first to adopt these touchscreens.

Vanity? Who the eff looks at people's gloves?
    kdarling wrote: »
    Putting the sensor on the back of a device is not uncommon.  It allows the user to hold the device between lower fingers and thumb, while stroking the sensor with their index finger.

WTF are you doing that you need to stroke your phone that much?
  • Reply 106 of 212

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Pantech? Are you being serious?

Serious about what?

I found it interesting that so close to the release of the long rumored iPhone fingerprint sensor, another company, Pantech implements one on their latest flagship device.

• Reply 107 of 212
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

I also don't understand the article's reference to "advanced battery technology" in the iPhone 5. iPhone 5's battery is pretty lousy. It gets 3-4 hours playing games, and only about 6.5 hours with regular usage. And that's on less than 50% brightness.

The article might have been stretching it a bit when looking for really advanced hardware improvements for iPhone 5 but it does have really good battery life considering it has LTE. No Android phone (with a normal-sized battery) can match iPhone's runtime AKAIK.

• Reply 108 of 212
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    abazigal wrote: »
    Having a feature, and getting it to work properly are two different things.

It doesn't explain why a fingerprint sensor done by Apple would be hard for Android manufacturers to copy.

It is difficult tech to pull off and Apple now owns the primary source.
  • Reply 109 of 212
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Apple won't use NFC.  It already has Passbook.  Passbook already is used more often then the NFC chips on Android.

Source?

I would use NFC- because several retailers have it.  I haven't used Passbook once because, well, it sucks.

• Reply 110 of 212
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    It'll be copied in no time. I think iOS 7 is a bigger differentiator. I don't understand the premise of a "ultra high resolution display technology". Is the sensor a display technology? I hope this isn't a new Siri, created just to more easily market the device, with no real functional improvements.

Siri is not functional improvements? Maybe you need to see a Siri commercial to remind of what function it offers.

There is a lot of common sense involved here: Telling Siri to Turn on Bluetooth or Open Facebook = Pointless. Tell Siri to schedule a meeting with X at 0:00 PM at the Conference Center, without ever taking it out of your pocket = More than a little useful.

Or read and respond to SMS or iMessage complete Eyes Free while on the road...amazing.
  • Reply 111 of 212
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Source?

I would use NFC- because several retailers have it.  I haven't used Passbook once because, well, it sucks.

Did you know Google themselves are ditching NFC chips in there handsets ? You dont need NFC coz you already have Bluetooth, BLE as replacement tech.

And more importantly the wallet feature can be done with existing wireless technologies.

• Reply 112 of 212
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAKings33 View Post

The fingerprint sensor on the Pantech in the photo above looks to be similar in size to the home button.

There are two types of sensor layouts:

• A large full finger-sized array of sensors that can read an entire fingertip at once.

• A smaller and cheaper horizontal line of sensors that you have to swipe your finger over.

It all depends on how much you want to spend on the sensor, and how much room you have to allot for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

WTF are you doing that you need to stroke your phone that much?

See above.  If it's a sweep capture type, you have to stroke your finger across it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

No, the sensor uses RF to read 3D pits and valleys into the living layers while sensing the electrons emitted by living tissue.

Again, no.  It does not sense "electrons emitted by living tissue".  

The article also seems confused about the methods Authentec uses.  It says that their "sensors are based on both capacitive and radio frequency (RF) technology", but writes as if they're being used at the same time. 

While they do make both types of sensors (DC capacitive or RF/AC capacitive), they're not combined into one package AFAIK (nor would it make sense to do so).  

The first type depends on the air gap between ridges to provide capacitance differences, and so is not as accurate if a finger is pressed tight against the sensor.  The RF type reads into the ridges themselves.

• Reply 113 of 212
    pmz wrote: »
    Siri is not functional improvements? Maybe you need to see a Siri commercial to remind of what function it offers.

There is a lot of common sense involved here: Telling Siri to Turn on Bluetooth or Open Facebook = Pointless. Tell Siri to schedule a meeting with X at 0:00 PM at the Conference Center, without ever taking it out of your pocket = More than a little useful.

Or read and respond to SMS or iMessage complete Eyes Free while on the road...amazing.

I meant upon its initial release. I use Siri sometimes... It still seems to be a separate thing from the OS. I don't know what their vision for Siri is, but it doesn't make sense on a watch where you'd use it in public, and it doesn't make all that much difference on a phone. It does make sense in the living room perhaps, and almost certainly in the car.
  • Reply 114 of 212
    abazigal wrote: »
    Having a feature, and getting it to work properly are two different things.

That said, I am noticing a consistent, and dismaying pattern in the editorials here. They start off with an interesting premise, then proceed to veer off course by recapping Apple's long and illustrious history of successes (which I, being fairly new to the whole Apple scene, do find an informative read), that is completely irrelevant to the main idea posited.

Then, as if sensing that he has rambled on long enough, simply ends off abruptly, leaving me none the wiser at the end of the article. It doesn't explain why a fingerprint sensor done by Apple would be hard for Android manufacturers to copy (my guess is the lack of physical buttons on Android handsets, plus the need for fairly high-end and expensive technology which would automatically preclude all lower-end android phones, plus the ability to integrate it with their own services and software, something the competition has little control over). 

Nor does it explain the benefits such tech would bring to the consumer, or where Apple may go with it. For instance, given their control over the entire ecosystem, I can see Apple eventually rolling fingerprint tech out to all their Apple devices, from phones to tablets to laptops. It would provide a consistent experience, and easy setup via icloud. 

Great post, said everything I was too lazy to say. I do like his features though.
  • Reply 115 of 212
    Awesome Article! I thought it was a research paper for the CIA!
    I'll bet many of Apple's competitors will read this for information.
  • Reply 116 of 212
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    No you're thinking of Android Face Unlock.

Funny guy.:lol:
  • Reply 117 of 212
    calcpcalcp Posts: 1member
    I seem to recall seeing something a while back about an Apple patent that had them placing the sensor underneath the screen. If this sensor can read through the glass screen, then the natural place to locate it would be where the user normally swipes the screen to unlock. This would mean no addtional gestures for the user to learn.
  • Reply 118 of 212
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    andysol wrote: »
    Source?

So you haven't used it once and you say it sucks?

NFC is a fad. Companies need to buy special equipment to offer it. Passbook uses the scanners they have already. All they need to do is develop for it.
  • Reply 119 of 212
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Source?

Ever actually tried? Several US banks issued NFC credit cards that they replaced with standard cards because the tech wasn't working. I got one, tried to use it in SF where Google installed a lot of Wallet readers, never could get it to work. Had to swipe it. Vendors I asked said nobody ever used it because it didn't work. 

Google Wallet was a massive fiasco. 

You can dismiss Passbook, but it's actually being used and it's supported by a lot of major companies. And its getting increasing more sophisticated using stuff that works, rather than blowing out a lot of expensive infrastructure that doesn't. 

• Reply 120 of 212
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Since Apple bought the third party along with all of its intellectual properties and has patents on the new technology and eliminated its previous customers, it will be very very difficult for clones to be made for its best of class fingerprint technology.

Not sure how you figure. Apple still has to have a third party manufacturer the device. Presumably it will be done in China where technology espionage is rampant. In terms of security, Google probably has it right building the new Nexus Phone in the US. According to the reviews, the phone isn't that great, but building it here in the US is good from a lot of perspectives including the ability to keep the phone under tighter wraps.