Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming Sept

Comments

• Reply 141 of 298
    gtr wrote: »
    Interesting to see no 128 GB option.
    That is the only (slight) disappointment for me.

I was really hoping to be able to get in more of my music in there.

Don't you have iCloud? You can pre-dload what you think you want over WiFi -- then the occasional exception over cell data when out and about.

Seriously, I am considering buying a 16 GB 5S and 1 128 GB iPad 5. The only real storage need I have on the phone is for video/photos (especially with the improved camera)... But I can mitigate that by AirDropping to the iPad.

Isn't iTunesMatch an all-or-nothing thing, with a 25k song limit? I can't use it as my lib is over 50k songs and never seem to find the time and energy to trim it.

A 16GB phone can get you into trouble; a friend of mine has one, uses hardly any apps at all, besides mail and web, and only wants his pictures with him all the time (real estate agent). The phone is pretty full, and when there's less than a gig left is becomes noticeably slower. But, sure, if you get the pics off, like you, it might be ok.
  • Reply 142 of 298

Well, the 11n is ~40x faster than 11b, too. ;) 

• Reply 143 of 298
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

The iPod... innovation.

The first iPhone... innovation.

The first iPad... innovation.

iPhone frame made of antenna array... innovation.

The new Mac Pro's... innovation.

As far as the competition in computer/mobile... don't care.

I'm an Apple guy, always have been. I'm just not part of the cult - indoctrinated to believe absolutely everything Apple does is pure genius, the absolute best possible choice, and the only 1 true innovator in the world. :rolleyes:

I'm just not going to call 'polish' or incremental updates... innovation. Sorry.

I'm also not going to call technology developed by other companies - purchased by Apple - as Apple Innovation.

For if I was to credit them - I would have to credit Microsoft for being one of the biggest innovators of all time when they were buying up tech companies like crazy in the 80-90's.

Of course, like movies it's always easy for critics to call a flop on the opening night and call it a masterpiece after a few years.

Beside the first iPhone, none of your example as shaken the world as innovating products when being announced. The iPod was seen as an overpriced Nomad MP3 player and the iPad like a big iPhone no good for content creation, no need to argue about the Antennagate.  

Like masterpiece only time can judge those things. 

• Reply 144 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

No, with 64-bit OS, it will be able to handle massive video files without having to split them. 

Perhaps, but why would anyone watch or edit "massive video files" on a telephone? The screen size makes video quality almost irrelevant.

• Reply 145 of 298

This post is about the initial news release of the 5C & 5S (and all the associated tech stuff) without the lengthy quote:

Apple delivers some fine new products and the stock tanks > 10 bucks.  Guess they didn't offer a "teleportation option" (or some other mega-wow app).  Great isn't it?  What does Apple have to do to get Wall Street etc., to believe they are a great US company and here for the long term?

• Reply 146 of 298

Nice performance bump, but I would have been happy with just a larger screen....  The 4" screen is just too small for my eyes....

• Reply 147 of 298
    Quote:

Because it's colder in Japan or China then the rest of the World, after all.

Spot-on, spot-on, dear Sir. Well, you do not remember the joke came actually from Korea, not everyone on earth must be a Apple follower. ;) Trollie however seemed missing the whole thing.

• Reply 148 of 298
    Anyone know if the battery life is as abysmal as it is on the iPhone 5?
  • Reply 149 of 298

So the article about 64 bit was correct, but boy were they wrong about their claimed 31% speed improvement.

• Reply 150 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Isn't iTunesMatch an all-or-nothing thing, with a 25k song limit? 

Good point. Only songs not available on the iTunes Store count towards storage. There is still the issue of use of one's data plan for streaming....

• Reply 151 of 298

What is the actual price and not the subsidized price?

• Reply 152 of 298
    If you cannot see the merits of a 64bit throughout OS then you truly don't understand OS and App Development. If you think it's all about the RAM footprint then please just stop speculating.

The real reason these suckers don't have 8G/16GB is the same reason we don't have 256GB/512GB/1TB in a Workstation/Desktop/Laptop configuration.

The next revolution in memory density is nearly upon us and having your OS and Apps ready to leverage from the ground up when it happens instead of being caught with your pants down for years is something Apple learned during the creation of OS X.

In 3-6 months Samsung is going to be dumping onto the market 64-bit hackneyed APUs for their smartphones and every single Android fanatic will tout it up.

Meanwhile, the App base and n-tier of services will continue to evolve at Apple while it's been hard at work on the iPhone 6 for next year, no doubt incorporating any new memory density advances and much more.

Motion APIs, along with all the new APIs in iOS7 and OS X are going to be a huge selling point for Apple.

Datacenter expansion with more advanced cloud services will just expand the ecosystem.

No mention of AppleTV and contracts with content providers means we have a lot more to come.

Lots of good points here!

The potential of the little box we know as the AppleTV especially interests me. For one, 4K video is coming...

But more than that, I wonder if they put an A7 (or A7x) inside the ATV enclosure and added Thunderbolt 2, some additional SSD and RAM. These ATV-like "modules" could be combined into a server farm -- or even a video render-farm for the new Mac Pro. Apple has existing software to parcel out compute/graphics-intensive jobs to multiple Macs... I think the 64-bit A7 chip means that headless, low-power, inexpensive ARM boxes could be used instead of Intel boxes.
  • Reply 153 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

Awesome, so it's much better than 2 and 3 year old phones...I would hope so.  If you arent making a better product after that amount of time there is a big problem.  Is it good enough to keep people from leaving Apple?  I guess we'll know in three weeks.

Is a slightly cheaper phone going to cut it?  Once again, people spending $550 probably arent going to shy away from $650 so is that going to increase sales?  Guess we'll know for sure in a couple weeks, but I would think not.

All in all Google is demoing Glass, Samsung is talking about a watch...I think people want to see what new product Apple is going to come out with.  Cook did promise new products all throughout 2014.  Lets see if that was just more rhetoric. 

While the rest of the industry loose focus and waver in all possible direction, Apple improves on what's already a lot more advanced than the rest, and takes it miles apart even beyond what the others can fathom. It's what Steve mentioned. Laser Focus !

• Reply 154 of 298
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Nice performance bump, but I would have been happy with just a larger screen....  The 4" screen is just too small for my eyes....

I'd say get an LTE iPad mini: with that screen size it's great on the eyes and without the voice contract it's also easier on the wallet.

• Reply 155 of 298
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If the phone has less than 4GB RAM (probably) the 64bit is largely useless, especially for the average consumer. A nice surprise though. Outpacing the ARMv8's to the market. 

This isn't true at all! Addressing cleanly large amounts of RAM is of course one thing a 64 bit processor does well but there is more to computing than RAM. Some software (not all by any means) can really take advantage of those 64 bit registers to enhance performance. So in some cases 64 bit means better performance at lower power levels than adding more cores. Beyond that simply extending data paths in the processor so that communications with GPUs and other devices is enhanced can be seen as performance booster. Do this all in 64 bit land and you minimize circuit complexity.

The interesting thing here is that we will see a round of software improvements that will likely make software (apps) faster on the iPhone S over the following year. 64 bit simply gives developer more room to improve things.

You do bring up an interesting question though, will these phones come with more RAM. Frankly it is a big shortcoming in the iPad though I don't feel that limitation as much in the iPhone. Speaking of iPad, I can't wait! I use my iPad far more than my iPhone and if this chip does what is implied it will be a very significant upgrade over my current iPad.
  • Reply 156 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That is the only (slight) disappointment for me.

I was really hoping to be able to get in more of my music in there.

Said earlier -- it'll come later this year, I'd bet at the iPad event or just after. 

• Reply 157 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Said earlier -- it'll come later this year, I'd bet at the iPad event or just after. 

That's possible, but I don't wish to wait that long....

• Reply 158 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

What is the actual price and not the subsidized price?

$549 - $849 (the model-specific numbers are on the Apple Store).

• Reply 159 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Anyone know if the battery life is as abysmal as it is on the iPhone 5?

How many smartphones have substantially longer battery life that are not significantly fatter?

• Reply 160 of 298
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    So the article about 64 bit was correct, but boy were they wrong about their claimed 31% speed improvement.

I was half expecting 64 bit though I'm somewhat surprised that they got 2x performance improvements again. If you look at the pace Apple has been on here it is rather impressive. The real question is this, is that an all around 2X improvement or is there a lot of variability in the improvement.

Considering the low clock rates of Apples previous chips I suspect that they have plenty of head room when it comes to operating frequency. So maybe with all the combined improvements hitting 2X wasn't that hard this time. How long they can keep that up is a different question.