Samsung announces Galaxy S5 with 5.1" display, fingerprint scanner & heart rate monitor

Comments

• Reply 41 of 236
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    The excitement for Samsung flagship releases probably peaked with the S3. The hardware has made merely iterative improvements while the Touchwiz skin has gotten no less bloated. 

I have to use an S3 at work sometimes when testing. It's crap. Feels bad. Feels cheap. Scrolls horribly. The screen isn't all that. Touch wiz has all kind of stupid distractions.

Embarrassing. The HTCs look good.
  • Reply 42 of 236
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It's got my favorite Android feature of all time: the way so many of them wobble when you try to use them on a surface, because the camera sticks out! Obnoxious. THe 3G was bad enough for that, but a little "peg" is worse--and makes the phone sit with one side higher even when you're not trying to tap. Like when watching a video. Just an awkward and lazy design for a camera--why put it behind the screen where it has to add thickness??
  • Reply 43 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

The Snapdragon 801 (MSM8974AC) is more powerful than the Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974).

Max CPU frequency:  2.26GHz --> 2.45GHz

Max GPU frequency: 450MHz --> 578MHz

ISP frequency: 320MHz --> 465MHz

Memory interface:  LPDDR3-1600 --> LPDDR3-1866

eMMC interface: 4.5 --> 5.0

I'm pretty shocked they didn't cobble together a 64-bit processor (or is this one?)

Seems like the sort of thing they would blatantly copy after banging on about how pointless it is if Apple do it.

• Reply 44 of 236
    juiljuil Posts: 75member

Geez the S5 is going head-to-head with the 5s, that’s going to be hard to avoid mixups!

"...you know that S5 fingerthingy si not as good a that from the i5s’s... and those photos the S5sG takes are soooo much better than this S-Hi5-ses’s ones... and don’t get me started on the iG-S5, or is it Si-G5 #@%*?..."

For sanity’s sake Apple, we need the iPhone 6 to make things clear ASAP!

• Reply 45 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

The Snapdragon 801 (MSM8974AC) is more powerful than the Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974).

Max CPU frequency:  2.26GHz --> 2.45GHz

Max GPU frequency: 450MHz --> 578MHz

ISP frequency: 320MHz --> 465MHz

Memory interface:  LPDDR3-1600 --> LPDDR3-1866

eMMC interface: 4.5 --> 5.0

But Touchwiz is also considerably heavier than the stock android running on the N5, so it's not clear whether the hardware bump will translate to better real-world performance.

• Reply 46 of 236
    ...and the device also has a built-in heart rate monitor that can be used to measure a user's pulse.

But who's gonna read that flatliner after a new owner simply drops dead from finding out how truly crap this phone turned out to be?
    To that end, Samsung has also announced a separate wearable device dubbed the Gear Fit, a smaller wrist-worn accessory that connects with the company's ecosystem of devices.

As for camera specifications, the Galaxy S5 has a 16-megapixel shooter

Right, because more pixels create better pictures¡
    The Samsung Galaxy S5 is set to launch around the world in April.

First day of the month, I presume.
  • Reply 47 of 236
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

16MP in a camera phone is useful?  I'm still waiting on Nikon's latest pro full frame DSLR the D4s.  Wanna guess how many MP that is? 

• Reply 48 of 236

Seriously, the iPhone 5s bitchslaps this in every possible metric.

besides having a pathetically small (great quality, at least) screen.

• Reply 49 of 236
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Fun with AC WiFi.
    Do you think Samsung have addressed the slow NAND Flash in today phones? You are lucky to get 10Mbyte/80Mbit speed on them.

Fun stuff like that when people wants 150Mbit LTE, 1.3Gbps WiFi, USB3 and so on and the Flash memory is to slow.

One of the main reasons why Apple bought Anobit was to create their own Flash controller. Maybe for iOS. That could lead to a performance breakthrough.

Today it takes upward 30 seconds to load a game on iPadAir. Its the Flash memory that is slow.
    With fast NAND Apple can even implement compressed memory like OSX.
  • Reply 50 of 236
    Is this Samsunginsider of Appleinsider? I could care less about Samcrap products.
  • Reply 51 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

It's very nice to see Samsung avoiding new software gimmicks.  Everything they added this year appears to be useful.

Assuming they work. The Verge didn't have great things to say about the fingerprint scanner. And they said its near impossible to do one handed. That would be a deal breaker for me. What I love about the 5S is I can easily unlock my phone with one hand. Placing my thumb on the home button feels totally natural.

What is brilliant about Apple's approach is that after a while you forget that your home button push action is what is actually unlocking the phone. 

This swipe fingerprint scanner sounds like what they had on some PC laptops years ago. That was a PITA.

Not sure what is worse.  To copy someone else's idea, or to try to copy and fail doing it in it's execution.

• Reply 52 of 236
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

• Reply 53 of 236
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    crowley wrote: »
    Water resistance is one thing I'd like to see Apple jump on board with. I lost a 3GS to the perils of the bathroom.

You're not one of those people that use the urinal while playing with your phone, are you?
  • Reply 54 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You're not one of those people that use the urinal while playing with your phone, are you?

I once saw an old bloke drop his pipe into the urinal while he was taking a piss.

I was somewhat appalled when he picked it out, put it straight back into his mouth and continued smoking away.

There's worse things to drop in the urinal than your phone!

• Reply 55 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Is this Samsunginsider of Appleinsider? I could care less about Samcrap products.

Then don't read the article.  There are lots of articles I simply have no interest in and don't read.   What's your motivation? 

Doctor, it hurts when I read this..  Then don't read that.

• Reply 56 of 236
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    snova wrote: »
    What is brilliant about Apple's approach is that after a while you forget that your home button push action is what is actually unlocking the phone. 
    This swipe fingerprint scanner sounds like what they had on some PC laptops years ago. That was a PITA.

Not sure what is worse.  To copy someone else's idea, or to try to copy and fail doing it in it's execution.
    Exactly! When I show it to people they're completely underwhelmed. And I tell them that's the point! As Jony Ive would say, it designing something that almost feels undesigned because it's so natural and intuitive.
  • Reply 57 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Fun with AC WiFi.

Do you think Samsung have addressed the slow NAND Flash in today phones? You are lucky to get 10Mbyte/80Mbit speed on them.

Fun stuff like that when people wants 150Mbit LTE, 1.3Gbps WiFi, USB3 and so on and the Flash memory is to slow.

One of the main reasons why Apple bought Anobit was to create their own Flash controller. Maybe for iOS. That could lead to a performance breakthrough.

Today it takes upward 30 seconds to load a game on iPadAir. Its the Flash memory that is slow.

With fast NAND Apple can even implement compressed memory like OSX.

and here I was thinking NAND's issues are bad blocks and write speed.   We are saying NAND has slow read speeds?  If it's 80Mbit speed for read, it'd say it probably a bit more complicated then simply saying NAND technology is slow.  It probably means they are too cheap to use good HW interfaces, saving pennies where they can. 

• Reply 58 of 236
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I'm pretty shocked they didn't cobble together a 64-bit processor (or is this one?)

Seems like the sort of thing they would blatantly copy after banging on about how pointless it is if Apple do it.

Samsung has yet to unveil their "Exynos Infinity" SoC which they teased for MWC 2014, that could potentially be using Cortex A53 cores (but I doubt it).   

Qualcomm's, NVIDIA's, and MediaTek's 64-bit SoCs will only be coming to market in the second half of the year.

The only other 64-bit option currently available is Intel's 22nm Merrifield SoC, which uses a Silvermont CPU (2 cores @ 2.13GHz) and a PowerVR G6400 GPU (4 cores @ 533MHz).

• Reply 59 of 236
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    asdasd wrote: »
    They are not happy on Android forums either. Bad day for the big S.

I think you'd be very surprised at the hatred there is for Samsung on those forums as well.
  • Reply 60 of 236
    Yay! a pulse sensor built into the camera, Oh thats right i already have - Heart Rate by Azimo and if your into a pulse app that doesn't even need touch, Cardio from the guys at MIT. I actually thought this was magic, then i wised up. Please Samsung find your own bandwagon and some others might jump on.