Rumor again claims Apple's jumbo-sized 5.5" iPhone will launch after new, larger 4.7" model

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
Claims that Apple's rumored 5.5-inch iPhone will bow months after its purported 4.7-inch sibling were backed up Tuesday with a new report from Taiwan claiming that Apple may be having trouble fitting an ultra-slim battery for the new device.

Apple is thought to need a battery less than 2 millimeters tall for its new "phablet," a reduction of about one-third from the current generation. Producing such thin cells is said to be an issue for Apple's manufacturing partners -- which reportedly include Samsung and LG Chemical -- according to Taiwan's Commercial Times.

The publication also reiterated previous claims that Apple is considering calling the still-unannounced device the "iPhone Air," following its recent naming convention for ultra-thin products. The handset would join the MacBook Air and iPad Air in the category.

While Apple has in the past been seen as reluctant to significantly increase the size of the iPhone's display, many now expect the company to release at least two larger-screened models this year. The first, a 4.7-inch device, is believed to be positioned as the "iPhone 6" and will likely launch early this fall.

The second, larger device is expected to ship later, and the battery issues may be part of the reason. Well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who has a track record of accurately predicting Apple's product moves, said earlier this month that the company would release the larger handset in the fourth quarter of 2014, possibly months after its smaller sibling.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 149
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

"Rumor.."

Who is this person??  Where do they get their information??

• Reply 2 of 149
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    The most popular Android phone models are between the 4.7-5" range. I cannot really see Apple playing a "who can make the largest smart phone" game and coming out with a 5.5" model -- the iPhablet. If I were Apple, I would make the phone wider (maybe 720 pixel wide display) and having vertical black bars for older apps.

If Apple does come out with a 4.7" phone in a game of "me too", then I could see it jumping to a higher resolution than 1080p commonplace on smart phones nowadays. Perhaps doubling the pixel density to something like 2272x1280.
  • Reply 3 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

If Apple does come out with a 4.7" phone in a game of "me too", then I could see it jumping to a higher resolution than 1080p commonplace on smart phones nowadays. Perhaps doubling the pixel density to something like 2272x1280.

With no currently sold or supported iPhones using the "Pre-Retina" resolution of 320x480 anymore, I think Apple could make room for at least 1 additional resolution target for developers.  With the current 640x960 essentially becoming the new 1x, and either a new doubling or alternate resolution [1080p] taking up a new 2x position for larger screens.

• Reply 4 of 149
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    I sure hope so. I'll be able to come back to the iPhone is Apple makes a larger screen.
  • Reply 5 of 149
    swissmac2swissmac2 Posts: 216member
    I don't really care about the physical size so long as the magnification of the screen contents is improved; if you're over 40 and need reading glasses, text and icons on the iPhones right now are just too small to read.
  • Reply 6 of 149
    adhiradhir Posts: 50member
    I'm all for the 4.7. Phablet not so much, though I'll reserve judgement until I see it.
  • Reply 7 of 149
    You've got to be kidding. Apple does not have problems in fitting a battery into an iPhone. Period. That is the one component of this rumor that completely labels it a lie.
  • Reply 8 of 149
    Doesn't Apple get that only they (and maybe just maybe a select few others) care about thinness? We don't care about how thin it is, just give us longer lasting batteries and devices... I'm sure 90% of all people would sacrifice a few mm or .mm if it meant the device would last twice as long on a charge...
  • Reply 9 of 149
    hametahameta Posts: 79member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    I sure hope so. I'll be able to come back to the iPhone is Apple makes a larger screen.
    swissmac2 wrote: »
    I don't really care about the physical size so long as the magnification of the screen contents is improved; if you're over 40 and need reading glasses, text and icons on the iPhones right now are just too small to read.

Why Are You So SELF-CENTERED ?

Half of i-Phone Users Are WOMEN.

They Haven't Got PAW OF BEAST like YOU !

• Reply 10 of 149

Iphones are without a doubt the perfect size, no matter how much i love my Note size phones.

• Reply 11 of 149
    People would gravitate to a thin large phone. Then if you need more battery you could get a battery case and not add too much bulk if it's thin already.
  • Reply 12 of 149
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

Doesn't Apple get that only they (and maybe just maybe a select few others) care about thinness? We don't care about how thin it is, just give us longer lasting batteries and devices... I'm sure 90% of all people would sacrifice a few mm or .mm if it meant the device would last twice as long on a charge...

Thicker equals heavier, and people certainly care about weight. A larger screen phone both weighs more due to the screen and case sizes, and requires more power (for equal screen technology), and so a larger, heavier battery for equal endurance. Not an easy balancing act for the manufacturer. However it seems reasonable to imagine that people who want a larger screen would be willing to compromise somewhat on weight.

My own best guess: Apple is very likely to introduce a larger phone, but not a phablet size. The larger phone would supplement the present form factor, not replace it. 

• Reply 13 of 149
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    hameta wrote: »

It's called having a choice. Keep the 4" for all I care. I just want a LARGER SCREEN. Right now, Apple doesn't give me a choice as they think the 4" is best for me. Apple is wrong.
  • Reply 14 of 149
    aross99aross99 Posts: 95member
    Doesn't seem like this larger screen device is probably part of the iPad line? Like an iPad Nano?

A 5.5" phone seems too big of a jump, and not something they would do...
  • Reply 15 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMETA View Post

So judgemental! It's the women in my life who are complaining they switched to Samsung because the iPhone screen was not easy to read for them because the text was too small. And I like the way you know what gender I am, how big my fingers are, and my motivations for posting. All that knowledge without even having met me! Wow. Brain of a supercomputer (with no data).

• Reply 16 of 149
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

Totally agree. Something along the line of 75% to 125% more battery life would be pretty nice. I wouldn't want a phone too much thinner than the iPhone 5. A little more round in the corners would be nice but that is about it to me.

• Reply 17 of 149
    hametahameta Posts: 79member
    swissmac2 wrote: »
    So judgemental! It's the women in my life who are complaining they switched to Samsung because the iPhone screen was not easy to read for them because the text was too small. And I like the way you know what gender I am, how big my fingers are, and my motivations for posting. All that knowledge without even having met me! Wow. Brain of a supercomputer (with no data).

What Kind of Woman Are You TALKING ABOUT ?

Like THIS ???

• Reply 18 of 149
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Kuo's 2013 roadmap was more than 50% wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMETA View Post

What Kind of Woman Are You TALKING ABOUT ?

Of course, you're a troll. Bye!

• Reply 20 of 149

I am owner of a website Mother's Day Quote based on mothers day. i want to show my website on iphone in special format how can i do it? i created it in wordpress. plz help