Samsung riffs on iPhone 6 'Bendgate' woes in new Galaxy Note 4 ad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 167
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    A funny question to ask, as I've seen all the iPhones, but yes, I do, as you were wondering.

You said earlier that you hadn't seen the 6 and 6 plus "in the flesh."

Yet you are still commenting on their design.

Please show at least a little bit of integrity.

Go to the store and put them in your hand before you say another word.
  • Reply 102 of 167

I can't believe that we are all still talking about this.

• Reply 103 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

But I also use 3 phones on a normal basis, so I'm a weirdo, a main stream phone (Lumia 1020), a luxury model (Porsche Design P'9882) and one work phone (which is now a BlackBerry Passport).

Tim Allen brought out his Blackberry Passport on Jimmy Kimmel the other night.

You really can't condemn Blackberry's latest attempt. It shows guts and determination. It's not an iPhone killer by any means, and neither does Blackberry think it is, but the Passport definitely breaks from the pack in an, imo, interesting way.

• Reply 104 of 167
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Tim Allen brought out his Blackberry Passport on Jimmy Kimmel the other night.

You really can't condemn Blackberry's latest attempt. It shows guts and determination. It's not an iPhone killer by any means, and neither does Blackberry think it is, but the Passport definitely breaks from the pack in an, imo, interesting way.

Cool, he shares my gadget affliction, oh look look and it's in his back pocket, gosh the people on this site sometimes, who would put something so big in their pockets anyway, uhm pretty much everybody. 

• Reply 105 of 167

Doesn't look like a Samsung commercial to me.

• Reply 106 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Cool, he shares my gadget affliction, oh look look and it's in his back pocket, gosh the people on this site sometimes, who would put something so big in their pockets anyway, uhm pretty much everybody. 

... uh, oh, I didn't want to bring that up. lol

• Reply 107 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I can't believe that we are all still talking about this.

I'm flabbergasted.

• Reply 108 of 167
    ... uh, oh, I didn't want to bring that up. lol
    Aaaahhhh why not, just add more fuel to the fire I say. Seriously though, nothing makes me madder then someone telling me how a product needs to be handled, an iPhone 6 was meant to be held like a new born baby, ugh, where's my frying pan, let's see how well built you were made.
  • Reply 109 of 167
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Not one Gatorguy post defending Apple against the FUD I see! :no:
  • Reply 110 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not one Gatorguy post defending Apple against the FUD I see! image

There is no FUD on this thread; you must be referring to a different one.

• Reply 111 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not one Gatorguy post defending Apple against the FUD I see! image

I think Gatorguy has done a helluva job defending his comments.

I put his record up there with the very best on this site.

• Reply 112 of 167
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    relic wrote: »
    Aaaahhhh why not, just add more fuel to the fire I say. Seriously though, nothing makes me madder then someone telling me how a product needs to be handled, an iPhone 6 was meant to be held like a new born baby, ugh, where's my frying pan, let's see how well built you were made.

My guess is that you haven't seen the 6 or the 6 plus "in the flesh" either. By "either" I mean you and Benjamin Frost and a couple of other random bender-heads here.

And then even holding it in your hands might not be enough for any of you. Some people refuse to "get" artful things, especially if the art is subtle and not a matter of bling.

Those phones have crossed a line into something like moulded and polished jewelry. It's in the way the glass contour blends into the aluminum, and the aluminum follows another tactile curve to the flat back, plus the usual Apple-trademark bead-blasted texture of the back, all coming together in an object that wants to be felt as much as looked at, like a slab of amber that one might use as a giant worry bead. No mass consumer object has ever been made like this. And it's more than solid enough to live a long time with someone who just uses it and doesn't abuse it.

And some jerk in Toronto named Lewis Hilsenteger suddenly appears and starts bending iPhones on YouTube. I'd look into the background of that for a little more depth to the story, if I happened to be an investigative journalist. Samsung is suspiciously fast with this video, crappy and ugly as it is.
  • Reply 113 of 167
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member
    Not one Gatorguy post defending Apple against the FUD I see! :no:

I already commented on "Bend-gate" in another thread about it. My comment? If you use the slightest bit of common sense bending your iPhone is hardly any concern IMO. I said earlier I believe you only are seeing the comments you want to.
  • Reply 114 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frugality View Post

If bending the iphones was 'purposeful', as you say, then there's no reason the anti-Apple crowd couldn't have done it with the 5S or any other previous phone.  Some folks noticed their new iPhone 6's bending.  Someone showed in a video how he could do it pretty easily with his bare hands.  Consumer Reports shows that the 6 is a fair bit less rigid than the 5 or other popular phones, and slotted in slightly above the worst, the HTC One M8.

I think the original poster's comment was valid.  Ive and Co. have driven styling requirements to such levels that they finally made a structurally weak phone.

iPhone 6 is a great phone, but handle 'my precious' with care.....

Structurally weak? That's not what Consumer Reports said after testing. They specifically said that although some phones had a higher level of resistance than others, that all of the phones were perfectly acceptable for structural integrity. In other words, they were all well beyond the frame strength needed to prevent permanent bending under normal use, which includes people sitting on their phone in the back pocket. Apple had three different stress tests for simulating "sitting on the phone" forces, and they're likely to be the same ones that Samsung runs. There's probably an industry standard for all of those things. That's probably the reason that BOTH Samsung and Apple showed that their phones could resist 25 kg of force in a three point test.

• Reply 115 of 167
    tomhqtomhq Posts: 22member
    Not surprised, why wouldn't they take advantage of this when 3rd party showed their phone is stronger? At least they didn't tweet from an iPhone.. I do wonder if the reduced durability of 6/6+ was noted and concluded negligible in Apple's product development process.
  • Reply 116 of 167
    flaneur wrote: »
    My guess is that you haven't seen the 6 or the 6 plus "in the flesh" either. By "either" I mean you and Benjamin Frost and a couple of other random bender-heads here.

And then even holding it in your hands might not be enough for any of you. Some people refuse to "get" artful things, especially if the art is subtle and not a matter of bling.

Those phones have crossed a line into something like moulded and polished jewelry. It's in the way the glass contour blends into the aluminum, and the aluminum follows another tactile curve to the flat back, plus the usual Apple-trademark bead-blasted texture of the back, all coming together in an object that wants to be felt as much as looked at, like a slab of amber that one might use as a giant worry bead. No mass consumer object has ever been made like this. And it's more than solid enough to live a long time with someone who just uses it and doesn't abuse it.

And some jerk in Toronto named Lewis Hilsenteger suddenly appears and starts bending iPhones on YouTube. I'd look into the background of that for a little more depth to the story, if I happened to be an investigative journalist. Samsung is suspiciously fast with this video, crappy and ugly as it is.

I played with the iPhone 6 Plus for a good hour or so, yeah its nice, never said it wasn't, art, it is not though. Why is it so hard to understand that I like unique gadgets, everyone has an iPhone nowadays, I've always gone against the stream. iOS is also still missing some key elements before I could ever use the iPhone as my everyday driver. Buit in filemanager, able to run more then 3 apps at once as long as I need them to run, 2GB of memory, apps need to communicate a little better the they currently do, able to choose my default web browser and the rest of the Apple apps that I can't change it's default status, etc. iOS has goten a lot better and I defiantly love using my iPad for music creation but it's still a little too restrictive for me, at least for everyday use, rignt now, maybe next year.
  • Reply 117 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I think you do a great disservice to yourself by denigrating Relic.

Some people might deserve a little punishment but the vast majority of people on this site don't even come close to Relic's knowledge of computers, computing and all that goes along with it... so any criticisms should at least have some substance.

You might want to reread some of her posts.

Otherwise you just make yourself look bad.

[ oh, yeah... jmho ]

• Reply 118 of 167
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 896member
    This is getting tooooo funny! ha! I swear if Samsung can jump on something they will. WOW It's like they are scared or something, or insecure, and take every potshot they can. Gees. This one is hilarious as people have pointed out the "Don't hold it like that cure" which makes perfect sense.
  • Reply 119 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rezwits wrote: »
    This is getting tooooo funny! ha! I swear if Samsung can jump on something they will. WOW It's like they are scared or something, or insecure, and take every potshot they can. Gees. This one is hilarious as people have pointed out the "Don't hold it like that cure" which makes perfect sense.

I don't see this as being any different than Apple taking advantage of the stereotype of the WinPC in their brilliant Get A Mac ad campaign.
  • Reply 120 of 167
    ShameSung= free advertising for Apple iPhone !!! I love it!!! What a bunch of retarded marketers... Shld all be fired!
    Hey Shamesung, how about this concept... Why not advertise some key features or something ACTUALLY remarkable about your product instead... Oh, that's right, THERE ARE NONE!!!!!