Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 81 of 1176
    bzbz Posts: 40member
    Does the a classic window (Photoshop 5/6) still "white out" the dock when it goes under it?

BZ
  • Reply 82 of 1176
    naghanagha Posts: 71member
    greetings,

in looking at the System Preferences window for Users, the rectangular buttons are very ugly. Furthemore, clicking a button apparently makes it dimmed, but that brings those sets of options to the foreground.

UI consistency has gone down the drain... that's a shame.

na
  • Reply 83 of 1176
    moosemoose Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagha

greetings,

in looking at the System Preferences window for Users, the rectangular buttons are very ugly. Furthemore, clicking a button apparently makes it dimmed, but that brings those sets of options to the foreground.

UI consistency has gone down the drain... that's a shame.

na

Let me guess. You're using the Graphite appearance?
  • Reply 84 of 1176
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    They're talking about how "No Limits/Some Limits/Simple Finder" are dark gray when pressed instead of standard highlight blue like the tab above it. That whole panel looks unfinished to me. I wouldn't make too much of it yet.
  • Reply 85 of 1176
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    i don't know I think people make an overly huge deal about the GUI being inconsistant. It all functions the same, it looks very sexy, and the new darker window lets you know what's up front. It works so well you don't even notice the GUI elements anymore. To me that's what it's all about. Just works seemless.

I love that the new brushed metal and the simple finder mode are two completely different looks. I always know no matter what, if i'm in simple finder or regular. You can't miss it with the change. Use it for a while and you'll see how well it works for your eyes.
  • Reply 86 of 1176
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Seems odd. I assume it only works on non-startup volumes, but doesn't it need to format the volume when you do it?

If a volume didn't use up all the blocks its entitled to have couldn't the resize function just add as much as it needs? Provided that there are room to spare on the disk. And then note the new size in the partition map.

Example (largest volume can use 40 blocks):

Disk1:

[ vol-1 17 blocks | vol-2 21 blocks | free 16 blocks ]

Resized Disk1:

[ vol-1 17 blocks | vol-2 30 blocks |free 7]

How do partition magic and such utilities do, and why havn't it ever worked on Macs? I heard Gentoo had some resize-utility for HFS-volumes...
  • Reply 87 of 1176
    alex_kacalex_kac Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

Resize volumes in Panther? Very nice, very very nice.. i'm stunned no one noticed:

Disk Utility - main window

Please test this function if you have the opportunity. There might be a section of this feature in the Help-documentation.

I believe that's to resize disk images - not volumes.
  • Reply 88 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

It's there, just extremely unintuitive and non mac-like.

If you burn ten different times, you get 10 CD images when you put it into your comp!

At least that's what happens to me. Maybe I haven't completely figured it out either.

Yes. That's what multisession is. Same on the PC as well. You are probably thinking packet writing which does not exist on the Mac yet - that I know of.

Multisession means basically x number of CD volumes on one physical CD. THink of it as partitions of a CD.
  • Reply 89 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

If it's technically possible (should be easy), then IMO should CD's burned with multiple sessions apparantly appear as a normal CD on the desktop/in the finder, labeled as something generic like 'multisession CD' (or more intuitive, of course), and when opened - it'd display all the sessions as folders or CD's. Or maybe this functionality could be triggered by a configurable threshold, like if there is more than three sessions - represent the CD as one volume (with the sessions inside) on the desktop, and if there's three or less - display every session as separate discs...

Okay, messy post, but I hope you understand what I intended to say

Comments?

No, that's not a multisession CD. That's something completely different that would probably be best done via packet writing CD tech like "DirectCD" on Windows.
  • Reply 90 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Mail.app (is said to have exchange support too, can you confirm this?)

iCal (any sign of exchange support in that too... I bet not but)

I don't have access to any Exchange servers (perhaps someone here could make me a test account somewhere and send me the info?) BUT I can say this. In the menu for making new accounts in Mail, the options are as follows:

.Mac

POP

IMAP

Exchange

Quote:

Originally posted by imho

1. The System Preferences Appearance Pane has a check box to "Minimize when double-clicking window title bar". What happens when you double-click a window title bar with this preference unchecked?

2. I read somewhere else that there is a way to access up to four (4) different Places Panes/Sidebars in the Finder. Is this true?

3. When you switch to the "Classic Finder" with the toolbar widget, does the Finder maintain a strict one-window-to-folder relationship like the OS 9 Finder?

1. Nothing. Same as before.

2. I don't know what you're talking about. There's only one sidebar for the Finder.

3. Yes. New windows spawn from that window and those new windows are in the Classic style. Double clicking a folder that already has a window open brings that old window to the front.

Quote:

Originally posted by Kate

Could you tell about what is happening when you click on the Network icon in the Finder window. Does a list of available servers, networked machines etc. show up?

Ahh! The lovely Kate returns. I was wondering when you'd be back to AI. I was actualy looking for your eyeware page recently and was disappointed to find it missing.

Anyhow, to your question. Yes, it seems that a list of servers should appear now when you click the Network icon. It's hard to describe; so, I'll take a snapshot of this "folder" later this evening.

Quote:

Is FontBook the same version as previously seen? If not, does it auto-activate fonts?

I think it's a newer version. This one is 1.0 v14, but I don't recall the last version's number. The reason I think it's newer is that I don't recall the previous build having any options for Preferences. What exactly do you mean by auto-activating fonts?

Quote:

Originally posted by alex_kac

I believe that's to resize disk images - not volumes.

Correct. This functionality is for disk images, not volumes!! It says so in the tooltip and in the help documentation.
  • Reply 91 of 1176
    Quote:

i don't know I think people make an overly huge deal about the GUI being inconsistant.

There are still a number of people out there who don't use computers on a regular basis, who have never used them before, or are used to Windows. They tend to be afraid of exploring the interface, so anything inconsistent, unexpected or complicated makes it more difficult for these people to learn the system.

That said, I can't see anyone having a problem with different highlight colours. The Cocoa font panel, on the other hand, seems like it would cause a lot of grief. The menus and buttons lack text labels, the sliders are tiny, and there's a rotary control (hello, QuickTime 4) for the angle of something. The look of the interface is very soft and friendly though.
  • Reply 92 of 1176
    OMG, how could I forget??!!

Classic is now **FINALLY** double buffered!!

No more whiteouts and eraser-stall-redraw syndrome!!

Well, actually, it was possible for you to enable double buffering in 10.1 with a hack provided by Ambrosia Software's Andrew Welch, but Apple promptly killed the functionality in the next 10.1.x update.
  • Reply 93 of 1176
    New in panther 7B :

-Stationery check box back in Get Info (the file is duplicated, not opened when double clicked)

-IP over Firewire was in 7A, in 7B there is a new 6 to 4. is it an IPv6 thingy?

-Help has been redesigned and is now usable. No more drawer, instead a Library menu. It is really fast. Forward/Backward buttons a la Safari, and a home button, in the new white plastic look

-Open dialogs : Apple-D, Apple-H... shortcuts work. Dragging a file into the window works too (broken in 7A)

-Mail : Exchange support in the Account preference, could not connect with my office Exchange server from home. Little exclamation mark in a triangle appears to the right of the account in the drawer when it cannot connect. Message only appears if one click on the triangle. New button appears in the mailboxes drawer, similar to the finder's wheel button, to modify, create mailboxes

-Address book: Exchange synchronisation. could not make it work. but when activated, Exchange appears in iSync.

-Preview has got a new mode toolbar widget. You can choose between a "move", "select picture" and "select text" mode. When preview is called by clicking the Preview button in the Print dialog box, Preview displays a print button and a "soft proof" check box (that turn your document in black and white if your printer is b&w, etc...). Preview has a full screen mode. it is still possible to navigate between pages with arrow keys.

-Calculator : Completely redone, bigger, Paper tape in a separate window. A calculation like 10+2x3 returns 16 (in both mode), before it would return 36. scientific calculator now really usable. And best of all, you can modify amounts on the paper tape and have the totals recalculated!!! You can change the precision and the display format: decimal, hexa, ascii, unicode...

-Preferences, Sound: DV (firewire) appears in Sound output preference, but the sound is not routed through my formac studio... DV does not appear as sound input

-Preferences, Appearance: Use smooth scrolling option. Works well in Safari for example.

-Preference, Exposé: You can assign expose to left or right Shift, Command, Option or Control key in addition to Fxx keys

-Image Capture: Preferences redesigned from 7A, Sharing moved from a separate menu to the preferences. Scan and OCR service has disappeared

-Services: in 7A you had "Open URL" and "Open URL in Safari". The latest has disappeared. A new "Search in google" service is available, and starts a search in Safari. great.

-iCal can display the time zone in the upper right corner of the window. Nice.

Everything looks more consistent in look..

It is very fast, I confirm.

But still unstable. It cannot handle my Formac Studio and my iSight at the same time. Jaguar can.

FinderLabel colors are broken in 7B.

I really think it is going to be a very very good OS, an attention to detail never reached before.

P.
  • Reply 94 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I think it's a newer version. This one is 1.0 v14, but I don't recall the last version's number. The reason I think it's newer is that I don't recall the previous build having any options for Preferences. What exactly do you mean by auto-activating fonts?

Er, I should use the terminology Apple uses in FontBook for activation: "enabled," as opposed to disabled. I know Font book allows you to disable and enable fonts for use in the font panel. This is important for those who own thousands of fonts because otherwise it would take forever to wade through them, plus in OS 9 and maybe still in OS X, having thousands of fonts loaded could slow the computer to a crawl if not crash it. (I think OS X loads and unloads fonts on the fly, unlike OS 9 which loaded them all into RAM at startup. Regardless?)

Anyway, auto-activation or auto-enabling of fonts happens when you open up a file that contains a certain disabled font. Most font management software automagically detects the disabled font in the document and activates the font for use by the user and the document. Otherwise, the font gets substituted with another IIRC. As I understood it, FontBook didn't have this auto-enabling feature in the previous build.

A simple way to test whether FontBook will automatically enable a font is to create a new document in TextEdit, type some text in a certain font, and save and close the file. Then go to FontBook and disable that specific font. Try re-opening the document and pulling up the font panel to see what happens.

PS: Thanks again!
  • Reply 95 of 1176
    Quote:

-Calculator : Completely redone, bigger, Paper tape in a separate window.

-Help has been redesigned and is now usable. No more drawer, instead a Library menu.

Sounds a bit like they're moving away from drawer elements. With the sidebar thing happening all over, and people's general discontent with drawers as-is, this thought occurred to me while reading these comments.
  • Reply 96 of 1176
    Quote:

Sounds a bit like they're moving away from this element. With the sidebar thing happening all over, and people's general discontent with drawers as-is, this thought occurred to me while reading these comments.

I agree, iCal has got a drawer instead of the info pane. that is the only application that has a new drawer. Strange.
  • Reply 97 of 1176
    panicxpanicx Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkhead

I love that the new brushed metal and the simple finder mode are two completely different looks.

First of all its not 'Simple Finder mode' (Simple Finder is a completely

different thing, in Simple Finder you still have metal windows, this

terminology could confuse people) but rather Mac OS 9 or Multi Window

Finder.

My opinion...

its too STOOPID really. I use Finder Windows with and without toolbar

criss cross and with this metal AND aqua appearance in the Finder it

seems like one is using 2 applications instead of one...

(wich should look inconspicuos and not in yr face metal imo)

I think it makes it look a right mess

Cmon Apple make up your mind... to brushed ot not to brushed.
  • Reply 98 of 1176
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Font Book - Preview

Good work with the screenshots, Brad! However, I get a 404 error when I try to view the link listed above. Do others have this problem?
  • Reply 99 of 1176
    panicxpanicx Posts: 37member
  • Reply 100 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

However, I get a 404 error when I try to view the link listed above.

Fixed. It had an extra trailing ".pdf" on the name from when I converted them to png.