Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 141 of 1176
    jammjamm Posts: 37member
    I haven't tried the B release of panther yet but came across some news on Macbidouille (pinch of salt required) that one reader saw impressive (or just plain wrong?) battry life estimates. Just thought I'd pass it on

Macbidouille [Translated]
  • Reply 142 of 1176
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid Ellis

Zip is easily extensible to handle things like resource forks. It was the compression format of choice for BeOS, and it handled Be's "attributes" (very similar to MacOS resources) easily enough. I would expect Apple to extend zip similarly. Hey, I'm sure there are some ex-Be employees looking for a job that could do it for them! :-)

It seems likely Panther will just flatten the files before archiving them, the way it's handled when files get copied/moved to Windows machines. Then they would get unflattened when the archive is expanded.
  • Reply 143 of 1176
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Here's a question about AirPort for anyone out there with Panther: what version of the AirPort software is installed? Is it 3.1 or later? I ask because I hope that it still lets you stick any Broadcom-based 802.11g PC card into a PowerBook and let you enjoy AirPort Extreme goodness on a pre-AirPort Extreme Mac. Read all about it here . So far this is working wonderfully with a 550 MHz TiBook and a Japanese Linksys card (hey, it was cheaper in Tokyo than in Canada!) and I really hope there are no changes in Panther than will muck things up.
  • Reply 144 of 1176
    i must say compared to the previous panther build this one seems, hmm, buggier, out of nowhere itll do this thing where my mouse and keyboard stop working, i can still move the mouse arrow but cant click on things, and for some reason labels arnt working, and finally as other's have noticed, using your ipod with itunes appears to be a no no. however, it has some good points.

the new preview is awsome, esspecially the cropping images part

zip'ing from the finder is nicely done

expose is ALOT smoother (on a g4 450 with rage pro 16mb pci)

new iCal

Safari seems better

all in all the team did a good job, this thing definately is faster then the previous one, but i should hope we see a software update soon to address some of the bugs.
  • Reply 145 of 1176
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    I'll post some iCal Screenshots when I get back home. I recommend you send feedback to apple about the skipping days. I've never heard of anyone using this in any calendar software and I work at a fortune 500 company. I'll check it out in 1.5
  • Reply 146 of 1176
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    Does safari 1.1 have a contextual menu item for "back" and "forward"? My needs are modest, really.
  • Reply 147 of 1176
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by millhouse

zip'ing from the finder is nicely done

zip is the last thing we need (old and bad).
  • Reply 148 of 1176
    maybe negotiations are underway with aladdin for using stuffit! Otherwise, why don't they use tar and gzip?
  • Reply 149 of 1176
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wwwork

Does safari 1.1 have a contextual menu item for "back" and "forward"? My needs are modest, really.

Nope. Sorry.
  • Reply 150 of 1176
    Ah! Before I forget:

Safari 1.1 properly animates multiple instances of GIFs on one page!

Oh yes. That's nice.

I'll get to the images and questions after I have some dinner. Fear not, proles! I will return later tonight with a hearty bounty.
  • Reply 151 of 1176
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Ah! Before I forget:

Safari 1.1 properly animates multiple instances of GIFs on one page!

Yay !!! finally multiple dancing :banana: 's not that we have them in smilies on this site..

K but the real reason for the post, MacDoubbie are posting some impressive speed numbers for a test machine iMac 600mhz when compared to 10.2.6... can someone here back up these kinda claims..

http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu....2003-07-30#290

Thanks

we need the bananas
  • Reply 152 of 1176
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

That's identical to Panther's finder except that it's Aqua instead of brushed metal and the separated back/forward buttons.

The sidebar items can be removed and the slider moved over to make that exact same setup.

Yes, yes, I realize that, but I like the new Finder with the new Aqua look.... exactly like his picture illustrated. I know Apple is trying to get across to users that the Finder is now an application and they're trying to keep their interface across the board (as far as their apps are concerned) but I still am 'blah' about a brushed metal Finder. Your mileage my vary.
  • Reply 153 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by 123

zip is the last thing we need (old and bad).

...and used by a lot of PC folks who send me their documents.
  • Reply 154 of 1176
    amitofuamitofu Posts: 59member
    Oh Oh! Exposé also minimizes windows to their respective screens now rather than pulling all windows from all screens onto the main screen!

It also drives me INSANE when I am loading a page in Safari and I switch to a different browser window and the background page fails loading. The page is immediately brought to the front and a sheet is spit out at you completely interrupting what you are doing.

-Chris
  • Reply 155 of 1176
    jasocojasoco Posts: 75member
    Hey. At least we Mac users are smart enough to know that a SIT or HQX is Stuffit and our computers usually come with the tools to open them as well as ZIP files. Windows doesn't. The only good reason for Stuffit now is to provide OS 7-9 compatability.

Still, I'd rather have an option. I mentioned before why.
  • Reply 156 of 1176
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Is bluetooth working in this version? I've got a 12" pb and addressbook crashes as soon as it opens. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the BT is killing it... Anyone with a 12" care to corroborate?
  • Reply 157 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Is bluetooth working in this version? I've got a 12" pb and addressbook crashes as soon as it opens. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the BT is killing it... Anyone with a 12" care to corroborate?

I'm on a 12" PB, too and am getting a crash after opening Address Book as well. If you look at the stack trace, it's crashing after IOBluetoothLocalDeviceAvailable... I've tried it with BT on and off and it fails the same way each time.
  • Reply 158 of 1176
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Brad, I have a few questions about the new Finder.

1) If I open my hard drive - or any folder - on the desktop, switch to browser mode (if not there already), then close the window, which finder mode do I see when:

- I double-click the hard drive again?

- I drag a file over the hard drive?

2) I have a bunch of windows open on the screen, and frontmost is a finder window. Can I complete a drag-drop operation by dragging a file to the 'Exposé desktop' corner, hovering over my hard drive, then navigating via spring-loaded folders to a location nested within?

3) What is the spring-loaded behavior for items in a Finder window's sidebar? Does this differ based on which view the window is in?

4) Any sighting of spring-loaded dock folders?

Thanks!

(In an earlier post, someone said Apple's success with the revamped Finder will lie in its handling of the details... and I heartily agree. If they can't nail drag-drop & spring-loaded interaction, most of Apple's effort spent achieving a spatial Finder is moot, IMHO.)
  • Reply 159 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by amitofu

Oh Oh! Exposé also minimizes windows to their respective screens now rather than pulling all windows from all screens onto the main screen!

Is that a good thing or not? I'm trying to vizualize what you're saying, but I don't think I'm quite getting it. So I can't switch between all the applications running, even if the windows are hidden or the application i hidden?

Jason
  • Reply 160 of 1176
    Crash Report

It looks like Apple has taken a page from Omni's book here! When an app crashes, you have the option of sending feedback to Apple as I pointed out on page 2. Here are the screens that follow after:

Crash Report - entry dialog

Crash Report - the help file for the above

iCal

Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Can you now visually split the same event across days or parts of a single day? That is, start on Monday, skip Tuesday, finish Wednesday. OR, Start and 9:00 a.m., stop at 11:00 a.m., continue and finish from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m?

No, the event scheduling is basically the same. You can't break up events like you are describing.

iCal - main window showing the drawer and the panels

iCal - repeat this slides out like a weird sheet in the middle of the drawer

Finder

Quote:

Originally posted by Kate

Could you tell about what is happening when you click on the Network icon in the Finder window. Does a list of available servers, networked machines etc. show up?

Okay, to get back to this one. Here are a couple of images. I put absolutely nothing in the folders shown here. All of the contents were generated automatically.

Finder - Network - icon view

Finder - Network - one level deeper

Quote:

Originally posted by dglow

1) If I open my hard drive - or any folder - on the desktop, switch to browser mode (if not there already), then close the window, which finder mode do I see when:

- I double-click the hard drive again?

- I drag a file over the hard drive?

The default is browser mode. In both of these cases, when the window opens, it's in the metal browser mode. If you switch to the Classic Aqua mode and try these both, the window stays Classic Aqua.
    Quote:

2) I have a bunch of windows open on the screen, and frontmost is a finder window. Can I complete a drag-drop operation by dragging a file to the 'Exposé desktop' corner, hovering over my hard drive, then navigating via spring-loaded folders to a location nested within?

No, when you do this, Exposé is activated, but the circle-slash proxy is added to the cursor as you keep dragging the file.
    Quote:

3) What is the spring-loaded behavior for items in a Finder window's sidebar? Does this differ based on which view the window is in?

First, the sidebar is *only* visible in the metal browser mode. The "spring loading" loads the directory into the current window as if you had clicked the item.
    Quote:

4) Any sighting of spring-loaded dock folders?

No.

Apple claims iDisk is significantly improved in the Finder. Indeed it is, but it's because Apple is cheating in a way. It's downloading the entire contents of your iDisk and accessing that, syncing the changes as they're made. Here are some images of the process:

Finder - iDisk - setting up

Finder - iDisk - syncing

Finder - iDisk - error

Finder - iDisk - disabled

Finder - iDisk - after being disabled

System Preferences - iDisk

Another thing about the sidebar that is very nice is that when resizing, it snaps to three places: the far left hiding it completely, fitting the icon only, and fitting the icon and labels exactly. When you double-click the grabber, it snaps totally closed or to the previous open size. When in icon mode, hover the mouse over the icon to get this:

Finder - sidebar tooltip

Classic

And finally, I'm so happy to have this feature enabled, I've made a brief movie showing that Classic is indeed double buffered.

Classic - no more eraser!!