Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 261 of 1176
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Wine. It's nothing new. Wine stands for "Windows is not emulated" and acts very much like Classic does.

Actually it stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator.

Quote:

Originally posted by andrewm

I recall reading about a new technology called Lindows that (independently, or so I had thought, of Apple) would run Windows programs under Linux.

As stated above, Lindows is a linux distribution. It's made to look & feel like WIndows. But it's just linux, hence, Lindows.
  • Reply 262 of 1176
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    7B28 has now been seeded and is available to Select ADC members apparently. No details aside from what we got last time - another "extensive engineering effort" that affects all parts of the OS.
  • Reply 263 of 1176
    Here's the link to the Think Secret article on 7B28.
  • Reply 264 of 1176
    vortexvortex Posts: 18member
    Brad... someone... anyone! Please post info/screenshots of the update ASAP!

I can't stand the suspense!

;-)
  • Reply 265 of 1176
    this is quite fast with apple, just two weeks ago panther 7b21 was seeded, and now this, kudos to them, i would wonder though that in this build are.

Finder labels fixed

will iChat not disconnect you when you switch users

other then that im wondering if this thing is well even speedier then 7b21
  • Reply 266 of 1176
    MOSR has already weighed in with "developer feedback". [Insert MOSR joke here.]

Tuesday, August 5 10:04 PM

New update due tomorrow; get your e-mails in now!

To whet your appetites.... Apple has seeded build 7B28 of Panther, and already the grapevine has much to say. "Noticeably faster than 7B21, which was itself already much faster than Jaguar," gushed one source. Another said, "Applications launch faster, network file copies are MUCH faster especially on Gigabit Ethernet, and Quake 3 is getting 5-10 frames per second more than 7B21 which was 5-10 frames per second faster than Jaguar depending on the hardware...."

Reports have so far been almost uniformly positive. In fact, more than one source has gone so far as to say that they prefer Panther to Jaguar, not just for features and performance improvements, but that it appears to be more stable under conditions that cause problems in Jaguar! Updated components include:

*Webcore

*CUPS

*QuickTime

*Finder

*Script Editor

*Launch Services

*Core Audio

*OpenGL

*Mail

*Carbon

*Graphics Card Drivers

*Mach Kernel

*AppKit

*HI Toolbox

*Navigation Services

*Printing

*AFP

....among numerous others. One developer source reported that Quartz Extreme, which previously has shown roughly flat performance with any supported graphics accelerator, now appears to take greater advantage of more recent, high-powered 3D cards such as the GeForce 4/FX and Radeon 8500/9XXX series. With such cards, there is a noticeable performance improvement over 7B21 and previous versions of Mac OS X when using resource-intensive effects like the "Genie" window minimizing effect and the Faster User Switching "rotating cube" effect.
  • Reply 267 of 1176
    According to everyones favorite rumor site, macosrumors.com, this build is much faster.
  • Reply 268 of 1176
    Noted above.
  • Reply 269 of 1176
    jasocojasoco Posts: 74member
    This is turning out to be an awesome OS. Damn I wish they'd tell us a DATE already!
  • Reply 270 of 1176
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jasoco

This is turning out to be an awesome OS. Damn I wish they'd tell us a DATE already!

Im guessing right about October 27th or so... judging by the amount of polish already present in developer builds I would not expect it much later then November 14th. All of this is just wild speculation on my part however. Sorry guys no dirt from me today.

A@ron
  • Reply 271 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

MOSR has already weighed in with "developer feedback". [Insert MOSR joke here.]

Have you noticed that the last few weeks of rumors have been pretty good? And he doesnt update as frequent as he used to.. Maybe he actually look at the rumors now, to see what can be true, and what cant....
  • Reply 272 of 1176
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by A@ron

Im guessing right about October 27th or so... judging by the amount of polish already present in developer builds I would not expect it much later then November 14th. All of this is just wild speculation on my part however. Sorry guys no dirt from me today.

A@ron

ahhh Ill guess the 24th os some month... hmmm 24th September....

Its always the 24th of the month when apple do things....

revs
  • Reply 273 of 1176
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

Actually it stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator.

Yup. And have I mentioned how much I hate these recursive acronyms? Especially the ridiculous mutually recursive Hurd/Hird one...
  • Reply 274 of 1176
    rrrrrr Posts: 6member
    OK... I'll try asking this again.

Please, what does Brad or ANYONE know about AUDIO/MIDI issues!

I read once that one can use their DV device form the Audio Out pref... Correct? Any details?...

Also, is there a new Audio Midi Setup ap?...

(Usually found in the Utilities folder. )

There is big need for some BIG improvements to the speed and functionality in OSX for us audio pros...

Also any chance we can finally use mLam or Firewire to stream audio & midi channels from one computer to another already!!!

Thanks Brad and others for any info!

rRand
  • Reply 275 of 1176
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rrr

I read once that one can use their DV device form the Audio Out pref... Correct? Any details?...

Correct, it says

Output > Canon DV (my DV camera) > Port: Firewire

I can also route system alerts through different ports than the one selected in Output.

Quote:

Also, is there a new Audio Midi Setup ap?...

dont't know, but its v. 2.0 in Panther 7b21. Can't give you more details since i havn't got any MIDI-devices and frankly don't know what to look for.
  • Reply 276 of 1176
    moosemoose Posts: 25member
    What MOSR and ThinkSecret both left out of their reports:

If developers who don't value their signatures keep pissing in the pool by leaking seeds, eventually the lifeguard's gonna kick us all out.

STOP THE GODDAMNED LEAKING.
  • Reply 277 of 1176
    valmadvalmad Posts: 49member
    So what are developers, who have a legal copy of Panther permitted to do? Can they talk about Panther? What are the limitations that they have agreed to? What is a leak, where is the line exactly? For me, reading all this about the features and benefits of Panther here, has convinced me to buy Panther on day one. This is the best advertising Apple could get and its free.
  • Reply 278 of 1176
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by valmad

So what are developers, who have a legal copy of Panther permitted to do? Can they talk about Panther? What are the limitations that they have agreed to?

As I understand it all developers are under NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) and should not talk about anything at all... panther, what panther However, if I was a developer I'd feel pretty save to comment on some things thinksecret and mosr have leaked. But yet again, I would not give out any info just maybe a yes or no on some general issues.

A@ron
  • Reply 279 of 1176
    moosemoose Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Originally posted by valmad

So what are developers, who have a legal copy of Panther permitted to do? Can they talk about Panther? What are the limitations that they have agreed to? What is a leak, where is the line exactly? For me, reading all this about the features and benefits of Panther here, has convinced me to buy Panther on day one. This is the best advertising Apple could get and its free.

Discussing features is a gray area. Screenshots are a darker gray. Actually providing Panther to people who don't have access to it is what Apple has taken a tough stance on.

The actual agreement can be read in its entirety at <http://developer.apple.com/membership/pdf/terms.pdf>.
  • Reply 280 of 1176
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    When I read Apple's sneak preview I didn't think Panther was worth buying. At least when you're around the web a bit more, it goes in-depth a little and gives you a reason to buy it.

It's kinda like Toyota's saying..ask someone you know who drives one. Even though you're not driving it, I think you know what I mean.