countdown to new g5's...

Comments

• Reply 381 of 410
    ok i think i have it figured out:

apple just started shipping ilife04 with new macs, minis start shipping, xserves start shipping, and refurb supplies are LOW. i say not feb 17th, but feb 24th. everything's getting out the door, and therefore apple can focus on releasing a new product.

also, and i totally forget where i read it, someone said they recevied a single 1.6 g5 that had a logic board or something that only duals use. therefore, i think we'll see an all dual line-up, but the low end will still be on the 130nm process.

discuss.
  • Reply 382 of 410
    slssls Posts: 51member
    www.macbidouille.com presents the news about the 1.6Ghz model with 8 memoryslots. What they believe is that the lack motherboards with 4 mem.slots, and ship them with the old 1.8GHz model mb.

Link to the discussion: http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

New models 24th of Feb would be nice, yup... my hope is before 26th of March
  • Reply 383 of 410
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

Just to make it even more confusing reading tea leaves from shipping dates etc., go to their Special Deals page. I hadn't noticed it before, but they are now listing a lot of "Previous Generation" deals, with some very attractive pricing.

They've done that since around Christmas, at least.
  • Reply 384 of 410
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sls

www.macbidouille.com presents the news about the 1.6Ghz model with 8 memoryslots. What they believe is that the lack motherboards with 4 mem.slots, and ship them with the old 1.8GHz model mb.

Link to the discussion: http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

echo... echo... echo...
  • Reply 385 of 410
    slssls Posts: 51member
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

echo... echo... echo...

Only a reply to ipodandimac.

Anyway, this is a countdown. T-XX days
  • Reply 386 of 410
  • Reply 387 of 410
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 388 of 410
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sls

Unfortunately I can't see the Australia tradeup promo as meaning anything other than no new G5s before 3/26. Had I known it would be this long I would have gotten a dual 1.8 many months ago, but now I might as well keep waiting.
  • Reply 389 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Not particularly applicable to the 970 or Apple.

Ok, did you read the entire article???
  • Reply 390 of 410
    Now through February 28, 2004, buy any Mac and save $300* when you purchase Final Cut Pro 4 and DVD Studio Pro 2. Or save $150* when you purchase Final Cut Pro 4 and DVD Studio Pro 2. This offer is available only at participating Apple Authorized Resellers.
  • Reply 391 of 410
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Ok, did you read the entire article???

I'm not sure he did, but I surely did. Would you mind elaborating ? I'm not sure what exactly they are saying ?

In short: What is foundry ?

edit: spelling
  • Reply 392 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by knappa

I'm not sure he did, but I surely did. Would you mind elaborating ? I'm not sure what exactly they are saying ?

A foundry is a plant that makes chips for other companies that design chips.

The real news here is that the IBM exec said they were about to deliver 90nm versions of a System On a Chip (SOC) design for Apple.

SOCs are completely different from CPUs. If this is not a transcription error on the reporter's part, it is big news.
  • Reply 393 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by knappa

Foundry, in this case represents IBM's chip making factories. They not only make their own chips, they make chips to order for other people (i.e. Apple). As for the interpretation of the article itself, I was hoping for the board to give a better interpretation than I can make. The whole thing seems to contradict itself.
  • Reply 394 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Foundry, in this case represents IBM's chip making factories. They not only make their own chips, they make chips to order for other people (i.e. Apple). As for the interpretation of the article itself, I was hoping for the board to give a better interpretation than I can make. The whole thing seems to contradict itself.

There's no contradiction. IBM is just bragging that their designs are better than anyone else's. They're saying outside designs require an average of 2.5 revisions before going into full production mode. (ie: No one knows SOI at 0.13 micron like IBM does! It's just chest pounding.)
  • Reply 395 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

A foundry is a plant that makes chips for other companies that design chips.

The real news here is that the IBM exec said they were about to deliver 90nm versions of a System On a Chip (SOC) design for Apple.

SOCs are completely different from CPUs. If this is not a transcription error on the reporter's part, it is big news.

Could he have meant the system controler for the powermacs?

Not quite the same thing?
  • Reply 396 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by cuneglasus

Could he have meant the system controler for the powermacs?

Not quite the same thing?

SOC designs usually incorporate CPU, memory controller and I/O devices like ethernet, USB, etc. It literally is a system on a chip.

You'd expect something like that in a set top box, or a router, or some other "dedicated" device, not a general purpose computing device.
  • Reply 397 of 410
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 398 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Yes I did. IBM foundry contracts are for non IBM products, IBM contracts to manufacture, not design and manufacture. Design can be a major issue in getting a process to fab correctly from the start. 970 is not a foundry contract but IBM's flagship product which has been shipping for over six months now. Big difference.

Go back and read the last line. Carefully.
  • Reply 399 of 410

• Reply 400 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

Go back and read the last line. Carefully.

Don't need to. Complete shift of topic. Read my immediately above post. It is highly likely he really meant SOI--silicon on insulator and just gooned his notes.