Verizon sets its sights on Apple, AT&T in ad campaign

Comments

• Reply 21 of 166
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,686member
    iDon't think this will hurt the iPhone.

Take pictures in the dark? Is there some kind of hidden demand for this feature?

I think the whole swapping batteries issue is kind of dead and not a deal-breaker for most. Is it?
  • Reply 22 of 166
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

So much for Verizon ever carrying the iPhone. A big bridge has been burnt.

Some may cheer at the flames, but a potential (and major) alternative iPhone carrier has just disqualified itself.

You're new around these parts, aren't you. Apple and Microsoft were closest allies at one point and some of Microsoft's flagship products were produced first for the Mac (e.g. Excel). Then Apple and IBM were allied against Intel with Apple using IBM's processor technology. More recently Apple has become a close ally of Intel. This stuff changes with the weather and these ad campaigns are mainly a sideshow. With Apple focused on world standard 3G networks (which Verizon is not) there was very little chance of Verizon being a factor before 4G networks are deployed. That won't be tomorrow or very soon. When the time is more favorable Verizon, which may finally have changed from the most restrictive carrier to something less draconian with its Android adventure, will be judged on what it offers, not what was said in ad campaigns.
  • Reply 23 of 166
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Unfortunately for Verizon and its partners, iPhone development will continue. As long as the current team at Apple continues to follow through with their plans, the also-rans will be fighting an uphill battle.

We've already seen these kinds of attacks on Apple. They came from Palm. Worked out great for them, didn't it? Seems the more vocal and vociferous these attacks on Apple are, the bigger they fail.

Lots of vapour and promises from the also-rans. And meanwhile Apple continues to deliver. I'd almost say unless the competition can offer something truly different and radical, it's already too late for them.
  • Reply 24 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

So where are all the ads targeting RIM's latest offering? Or the Pre? Or even a single WinMo phone?

It's pretty clear at this point that the iPhone, with all its faults, has upset the decade-old status quo in the so-called 'smart phone' universe. What's funny by omission is that no one even bothers to compete with the iPod anymore (except for that money-furnace up in Redmond.) I can't predict that Apple's tablet will continue this level of success, but if it does...

Everyone is trying to crush the best phone.

It's just like a game where everyone gangs up on the winner. One of those games a five-year old might play. Verizon is really slipping.
  • Reply 25 of 166
    The language of the ad surprises me:

The sharp break between the happy, shiny world of the iDon't, with its bright, singsong music, then the dystopian techno grunge of the Droid, makes me think the Terminator is about to arrive.

Seriously, giving the impression that SkyNet is about to be turned on and all that is good in the world is going to be swept away, may be a way to sell it to those who WANT the machines to win, but hey, I'll stick with happy and shiny!
  • Reply 26 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Unfortunately for Verizon and it's partners, iPhone development will continue. As long as the current team at Apple continues to follow through with their plans, the also-rans will be fighting an uphill battle.

We've already seen these kinds of attacks on Apple. They came from Palm. Worked out great for them, didn't it? Seems the more vocal and vociferous these attacks on Apple are, the bigger they fail.

Lots of vapour and promises from the also-rans. And meanwhile Apple continues to deliver. I'd almost say unless the competition can offer something truly different and radical, it's already too late for them.

Apple and more specifically the iPhone have too much of a head start... everyone else needed to attack it while it was new. Now, they have to kill a phone that has more features than any other phone in the world (via the App Store). Fat chance of that being successful...
  • Reply 27 of 166
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Wanna check the web while on a call...

...droid might, vDon't,

Wanna use your phone on an overseas holiday...

...droid might, vDon't,

Wanna load a new ROM, install Skype and Google Voice and only use PAYG data...

...droid might, v????

I work in a phonestore, the powerboard with six chargers for our demo phones has been replaced by one iPhone charger and the appropriate USB cables, the HTC Magic is supposed to be micro USB but isn't, it has a corner cut off.

btw are congress going to force a standard network so all phones work with all carriers, too?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drknite30 View Post

The point is how the companies are controlling how people buy products. Finally Congress is doing something about it, forcing the companies to make a universal plug to fit all phone and headsets. And, what you work for Apple or At&T? Why attack someone for pointing out this exclusive crap? What so companies can make more off everyone? Well the little good Congress does at least they are looking into ending this exclusive contracts.

• Reply 28 of 166
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Looks like Verizon has some work to do yet on the graphics and audio drivers for their new whatever. Maybe Verizon should stick to doing what they're good at, rather than advertising stuff that doesn't run right.
  • Reply 29 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by weyforth View Post

iDon't get it.. :S

Heh. I'm pretty sure you're not alone. It's a weak premise.
  • Reply 30 of 166
    tenten Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

They make some good criticisms.

I find it funny that Apple is hurrah'd when they make fun of Microsoft or Dell, but then people poo-poo anyone who does the same to the almighty Apple. "You can dish it out but you can't take it" comes to mind.

Criticism is fine, even welcome! I just received an infraction from AI, and humbly accept the critique, as I made a verbal mistake.

I'm looking at this from a marketing perspective.

Negative marketing only works for political campaigns, not for selling a product.

This add highlights a competitor, but is confusing as to what to buy as the alternative.

Like the Microsoft Ads, I think it helps Apple, more then hurts it.

Several reasons:

Anyone that actually has an iPhone will not be persuaded to stop owning an iPhone and go with another product. (So the Ad fails) Anyone looking to buy an iPhone, will not be dissuaded either, as there is no value or actual product actually highlighted.

The Ad doesn't highlight anything about the product that it wishes to sell, is confusing, and actually exasperating to someone that might actually be interested in buying the product.

Teasers work for Movies, not for products. Techies see this is vaporware, and will believe it when they see it. Regular people have no idea what the Ad is talking about, and therefore also dismiss it.

Even though I think the end is stimulating visually, it's poor marketing & advertising IMHO & misses the mark at selling a product.
  • Reply 31 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ten View Post

Criticism is fine, even welcome! I just received an infraction from AI, and humbly accept the critique, as I made a verbal mistake.

I'm looking at this from a marketing perspective.

Negative marketing only works for political campaigns, not for selling a product.

This add highlights a competitor, but is confusing as to what to buy as the alternative.

Like the Microsoft Ads, I think it helps Apple, more then hurts it.

Several reasons:

Anyone that actually has an iPhone will not be persuaded to stop owning an iPhone and go with another product. (So the Ad fails) Anyone looking to buy an iPhone, will not be dissuaded either, as there is no value or actual product actually highlighted.

The Ad doesn't highlight anything about the product that it wishes to sell, is confusing, and actually exasperating to someone that might actually be interested in buying the product.

Teasers work for Movies, not for products. Techies see this is vaporware, and will believe it when they see it. Regular people have no idea what the Ad is talking about, and therefore also dismiss it.

Even though I think the end is stimulating visually, it's poor marketing & advertising IMHO & misses the mark at selling a product.

making an ad and not having a product to show, seems desperate and vaporware-like...like something m$ would do...
  • Reply 31 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Wanna check the web while on a call...

...droid might, vDon't,

Wanna use your phone on an overseas holiday...

...droid might, vDon't,

Wanna load a new ROM, install Skype and Google Voice and only use PAYG data...

...droid might, v????

I work in a phonestore, the powerboard with six chargers for our demo phones has been replaced by one iPhone charger and the appropriate USB cables, the HTC Magic is supposed to be micro USB but isn't, it has a corner cut off.

btw are congress going to force a standard network so all phones work with all carriers, too?

Good point, Verizon's network won't allow simultaneous data connections while on a call. So much for running multiple Apps! Going oversees, using VOIP Apps was invaluable, yet I always had a regular cellular connection no matter which country I was in, if I chose. It was great, no one knew we were away!
  • Reply 33 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

The language of the ad surprises me:

The sharp break between the happy, shiny world of the iDon't, with its bright, singsong music, then the dystopian techno grunge of the Droid, makes me think the Terminator is about to arrive.

Seriously, giving the impression that SkyNet is about to be turned on and all that is good in the world is going to be swept away, may be a way to sell it to those who WANT the machines to win, but hey, I'll stick with happy and shiny!

I had the same feeling... like I said, poorly conceived advertising.
  • Reply 34 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Except Apple doesn't make fun of Microsoft or Dell, they make fun of "PCs."

Oh please, you're arguing semantics. Everyone who doesn't have their head up Apple's a@@ knows the ads are attacking Microsoft.

Quote:

Moreover, this isn't a phone competitor calling out Apple, this is Verizon, a carrier.

There's a world of difference between Verizon the telecommunications company attacking a single phone that they don't have on their system and Apple gently mocking the entire rest of the generic PC industry.

Is Verizon competing directly with Apple now?

Again, semantics. The ad is attacking AT&T. One of the things that makes one network desirable over another is the available phones. Thus Verizon targets a product offered by the competition that they obviously feel is losing them customers.

Quote:

If so, doesn't that tell you all you need to know about how Verizon sees itself, and why Apple's with them went nowhere?

Because Apple is just as much a control freak as Verizon? Neither was willing to make the concessions necessary to make that partnership work. That AT&T didn't realize the consequences of the iPhone or how Apple would sell them down the river every chance they got or was just too eager to get any advantage they could against their competitors.

Quote:

That is, if Verizon's long history of crippling phones in order to fit them into Verizon's idea of how everything should work hadn't already clued you in.

What does history have to do with anything? History shows that Apple makes users wait for 3 generations for basic features that other devices have had for years, iPhones and iPods alike. My Verizon phone has features that the iPhone still doesn't have. Bluetooth on the iPhone is practically useless for anything beyond hands free. The physical keyboard on my Verizon phone makes texting and emailing a breeze.
  • Reply 35 of 166
    droid doesn't do anything, because it's not out, and verizon's web page doesn't even give you any pictures or information.

what a case of clueless marketing. "we'll have a phone out that will do things the iphone couldn't do 2 years ago. our product will be coming out sometime in the future, and we can't show you any pictures, specs, or which hardware manufacturer makes it."

without any solid info, this phone could be 6 months away, by which time apple will probably have another iphone revision out.

iDon't have a real keyboard - Tactile keyboard iPhone knockoffs have been failing to make significant advancements vs. Apple for 2 years. Obviously the iPhone's keyboard is good enough for its consumer base

iDon't run simultaneous apps - The iPhone came out 2 years ago, at which time no phone multitasked. Besides mobile multitasking not being terribly useful, phones that do multitask do so slowly.

iDon't take 5 megapixel pictures - Oh noes, 3 MP vs 5 MP. It would be sooo hard for Apple to throw in a 5 MP camera between now and when the droid comes out.

At this point Verizon runs out of ideas....

iDon't customize - What kind of claim is this?

iDon't run widgets - Umm...could a small iPhone app not be considered a widget?

iDon't allow open development - Anyone with a Mac and $0 can start developing, anyone with $100 can start selling. Again I am holding my breath that Verizon is actually going to allow truly open development.

iDon't take pictures in the dark - something no one wants to do

iDon't have interchangeable batteries - 40 million iPhones and 220 million iPods prove this isn't a concern for consumers.
  • Reply 36 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

All valid points. The iPhone has some glaring omissions which the competition will capitalise on. Competition = good.

The only one that was true, that I agree with, is the taking pictures in the dark. Yes, a flash would be needed. I'm sure if in the future they can accommodate a flash without compromising elsewhere, they will.

However, I'm sure, that someone would make a third party attachment to do this, if the market were really there.

Still bad advertising, most people looking to buy a PHONE are not thinking about taking pictures in the dark. The crappy phones they currently own take crappy pictures, that they barely even use.

The Ad lacks some serious context and appeal.
  • Reply 37 of 166
    Quote:

I had the same feeling... like I said, poorly conceived advertising.

Calling it vaporware seems like a desperate attempt to discredit something you (and I) know nothing about. Since you're a regular visitor to this, you're already aware that Verizon announced they'd have an Android phone in the near future. Having seen the commercial, you now know the name (Droid) and the month it will arrive (November). Hardly sounds like vaporware to me.

It's viral marketing, plain and simple. Show an interesting yet confusing commercial, provide a link to a website and see how many people show up. Hardly a revolutionary concept, but obviously effective given how much the technique is used currently. People have learned to tune out standard commercials so they use something that grabs your attention. The "music" at the end is unique enough that it will grab your attention if you're near a TV when it starts.
  • Reply 38 of 166
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    A lot of what they were saying is true. There's no flash on the iPhone and the camera is 3.2 mega pixels. Those are my two harps.

The lack of a physical keyboard, open development standards, and replacable battery are things I don't care about so much.

The real issue for the iPhone is AT&T's network. That's holding back the iPhone software-wise with tethering, MMS (though they have it now), and just having good reception and no dropped calls.

All this coming from a Blackberry and Verizon customer.
  • Reply 39 of 166
    Very nice ad.
  • Reply 40 of 166
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Why not buy a $2 LED torch for your keyring, after all the results will be the same as most phones with LED "flashes".

Quote:

The only one that was true, that I agree with, is the taking pictures in the dark. Yes, a flash would be needed. I'm sure if in the future they can accommodate a flash without compromising elsewhere, they will.

However, I'm sure, that someone would make a third party attachment to do this, if the market were really there.

meh, those things were around before the iPhone was launched, Nokia N95 anyone?

Hey, if the camera is so important why not get one of the new 12 Megapixel jobbies?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

A lot of what they were saying is true. There's no flash on the iPhone and the camera is 3.2 mega pixels. Those are my two harps.