Verizon sets its sights on Apple, AT&T in ad campaign

Comments

• Reply 121 of 166
    The message in the commerial is clearly to current Verizon customers, "Don't leave us now if you do you'll just come crawling back after the droid has crushed the iPhone".

Does anybody believe that a Moto Android phone will be an iPhone killer? I don't think so, but Android 2.0 is looking good, and it looks like Verizon will now have some phones that don't suck complete ass.

It's not an iPhone but if i was stuck on VZW I'd be psyched that there's finally an android phone (a little less psyched that it's from motorola, but what are you gonna do)

Anyways, I'm just glad that there are more and more smartphones on the market that are actually useable, useful and suck a lot less than they did a few years ago.

-S
  • Reply 122 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

I have told you numerous times to add me to your ignore list.

iDon't Care What you think.

Ride the Google Wave...

Wait... you can't. Steve won't let you.

Ride the path that Steve lets you with last years parts.

Hey, keep your heads up Apple Fans. You're getting an FM radio. Now that's innovation at it's best.

For so many people that don't care, there sure are a lot of people in the room on a Sunday night telling the other sheep why this is an iFail.

I love the smell of Fear on Football Sunday!

stfu troll!
  • Reply 123 of 166
    'There's some crap for that'

'DROID DOES YOUR MOM'

'iDon't get girls'

Those are most likely the top 3 ideas for the next verizon commercial. Anyone think otherwise?
  • Reply 124 of 166
    There are a lot of folks holding out on the iPhone because it is on AT&T and not on Verizon.

I have a Verizon Blackberry Tour and iPhone 3GS, the Verizon service by far better than AT&T anywhere I go.

However, luckily I don't pay for the Tour because it's a company device. I don't like Verizon's price plans, they are over priced.

With these attack ads, it answers my questions that Verizon isn't getting the iPhone anytime soon.
  • Reply 125 of 166
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I bet Verison has tried to get iPhone for years, and now they're just fed up and outright angry with Apple's lame one carrier only policy and wanna hit back. I bet Apple too has regrets over what carrier they went for.
  • Reply 126 of 166
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

I have told you numerous times to add me to your ignore list.

iDon't Care What you think.

Ride the Google Wave...

Wait... you can't. Steve won't let you.

Ride the path that Steve lets you with last years parts.

Hey, keep your heads up Apple Fans. You're getting an FM radio. Now that's innovation at it's best.

For so many people that don't care, there sure are a lot of people in the room on a Sunday night telling the other sheep why this is an iFail.

I love the smell of Fear on Football Sunday!

You know, I used to find you funny in an odd f*cked up sort of way, but this is just nonsense garbage.

The football quote just shows you up as the mindless jock that you are. Pretending to be insightful when your real purpose is merely hate is lame.

Drop the fake poetry and just scream at people.

That's more like the "real you."
  • Reply 127 of 166
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drknite30 View Post

What I don't understand is everyone just looking at this as iphone vs. Verizon. Nobody seems to be upset of the line 5 year exclusive deal. Why should I buy a phone and get stuck to one carrier. How is that capitalism? Why can't I buy the best phone out there and go to the best service out there. Wake up people.

So when you buy that phone from Verizon, where are you going to take your EVDO phone?

And BTW, just go to an Apple store and pay full freight for the iPhone ($500 or so.) You don't have to get a contract if you pay full price.
  • Reply 128 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You know, I used to find you funny in an odd f*cked up sort of way, but this is just nonsense garbage.

The football quote just shows you up as the mindless jock that you are. Pretending to be insightful when your real purpose is merely hate is lame.

Drop the fake poetry and just scream at people.

That's more like the "real you."

dont respond to nonvendorfan and the other d bags that frequent this site. you, being a decent person who does not like conflict, assume that they also want to resolve conflict, but they do not. they intentionally say inflammatory things specifically to upset other people. it only validates their d baginess.
  • Reply 129 of 166
    Screen shots of Google's Newest Smartphone Leaked:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...t-walkthrough/
  • Reply 130 of 166
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    Portraying the iPhone as more limited than other phones is a bad strategic decision.

When people talk to each other about the iPhone, it's about it's possibilities.

When an ad says the opposite, it will not be believed.

Verizon should have said: oh yes, the iPhone can do a lot, but now look how much more a Droid can do.

That would have worked.
  • Reply 131 of 166
    Addabox,

There's ~130 replies in this thread at this point and half of them are from you. Shut your friggin keyboard off and go get some more Apples to munch on. You don't need to respond to every person posting on the board. What a fanboi...
  • Reply 132 of 166
    bfcbfc Posts: 5member
    Some very high praise for Motorola Droid from the Boy Genius Report...

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...roid-hands-on/
  • Reply 133 of 166
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Ah, they learned lessons all right. There's no direct indication of the competitor. (There's still a bunch of lies, though.)

P.S. My calculation shows they lied in 50% of cases; 4 false statements out of 8, which target competitor's device.
  • Reply 134 of 166
    I'm looking to leave Verizon since they don't have the iPhone. I've looked at other phones and IMO they don't come close to an iPhone. So until I switch I'll stick to my cheapy phone with no features beyond it being a phone.
  • Reply 135 of 166
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Apple is with over eighty eight carriers, maybe Verizon should have gone with the rest of the world and ADOPTED THE WORLDWIDE GSM standard.

If Apple went with Verizon how many carriers would they be with now?

I think it's ironic that I am with Vodafone and if I travelled to America I would not be able to roam on Vodafone's partner network (Verizon).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I bet Verison has tried to get iPhone for years, and now they're just fed up and outright angry with Apple's lame one carrier only policy and wanna hit back. I bet Apple too has regrets over what carrier they went for.

• Reply 136 of 166
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

The message in the commerial is clearly to current Verizon customers, "Don't leave us now if you do you'll just come crawling back after the droid has crushed the iPhone".

Does anybody believe that a Moto Android phone will be an iPhone killer? I don't think so, but Android 2.0 is looking good, and it looks like Verizon will now have some phones that don't suck complete ass.

I might believe any other company but Motorolla...
  • Reply 137 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think the case here is the ad hinges on making a "long" list of "iDon'ts", so they pretty much had to pad it. Like you say, "open development platform" might as well be "shorter traces on the circuit board" for all the impact it has on the general buying public, and "photos in the dark" and "runs widgets" are just pathetic.

If they had stuck to mainstream, understandable competitive advantages, they would have had to settle for "real keyboard" and maybe either "replaceable battery" or "simultaneous apps."

So when your actual list of "iDon'ts" runs to three, two of which most people don't really care that much about, maybe your campaign based around that list is ill-conceived.

Yes, that kind of campaign worked great for Sega against Nintendo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQkBvnpzX2U
  • Reply 138 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theobold View Post

I would say it's a SUCESS cause it's all over the news today, that's not a "theory". That's how I heard about it. NO, I don't see allot of telecoms making the same impact, sorry.

I think you mean 'SUCCESS' and 'a lot'.

An ad is a success if it makes people go out and buy the product. Indirectly more people may buy the product because it's been on the news, but the ad itself is therefore relying on making the news and therefore it might not be holding up that well on its own.

Plus, you need to factor in conversion. Kind of like the companies and people that solely rely on search engine optimisation to sell their products, forgetting that search engines can't actually buy their products. The same is true for TV ads. Many more million may see them thanks to the news; that doesn't necessarily translate into sales, particularly if the media attention only lasts a day, and a million times more so if there isn't a product to actually buy or even see yet.
  • Reply 139 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I

I think it?s a great ad. Droid obviously competing directly with the iPhone and they seem to have made impact. Enough to warrant AI to do a write up on a Sunday about it.

AI is not any sort of credible litmus test of...well...anything. The ad is weak and hasn't worked for Palm either...and they actually have a device that doesn't suck.

Here we have to hope that Google can do what Apple couldn't: Keep moto from not screw up a phone that could have been great. ROKR was a freaking disaster. The Cliq not that much to write home about other than it didn't stink. It's still a sluggish Android phone that hopefully gets better with Droid and the faster TI OMAP.

So you have Verizon that loves to cripple phones and Motorolla without the brand power to resist Vz's typical demand to cripple phones. Mkay.

And you run an ad that says "the iPhone suxxors and ours is better because it has more tech features and love Skynet chic..."? Mkay. You might as well list all the stuff the Wii doesn't have and show a CoD PS3 clip at the end and wonder why no Wii fans care.

Wrong demographic.
  • Reply 140 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theobold View Post

I would say it's a SUCESS cause it's all over the news today, that's not a "theory". That's how I heard about it.

Links? Tech blogs don't count. This is their beat...pissing contests = page hits.

We don't need an "iPhone killer" designed around the iPhone features itself. An iPhone killer is something out of left field done with the same level of polish and a whole new dimension.