Verizon sets its sights on Apple, AT&T in ad campaign

Comments

• Reply 101 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

Edit. You didn't keep the part of my post in your quote that said "I love the Smell of Fear on Football Sunday".

There, I did. The vagaries of iPhone cut-and-paste...... I am sure you empathize...
  • Reply 102 of 166
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drknite30 View Post

The point is how the companies are controlling how people buy products. Finally Congress is doing something about it, forcing the companies to make a universal plug to fit all phone and headsets. And, what you work for Apple or At&T? Why attack someone for pointing out this exclusive crap? What so companies can make more off everyone? Well the little good Congress does at least they are looking into ending this exclusive contracts.

This "exclusive crap" is helping the iPhone's introduction to the marketplace. How far do you think Apple would have gotten with an "open " phone that cost 100s of dollars more than any one out there. They needed someone to subsidize the initial costs of the phone until the market for the iPhone developed, and no carrier in their right mind would do that without some guarantee of exclusivity so they could benefit as well. Companies must have the right to earn profit, otherwise you will never see R&D invent anything. AT&T stepped up to the plate when no one else did. They deserve some credit for that, imho. The biggest problem, as I see it, is we have become such a spoiled bunch of whiners in this consumer led society .... we want everything .... for nothing ... and we want it now. And the sad part is ... we think this is our right, not our privilege. Sad commentary on today's society.
  • Reply 103 of 166
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

The postings here are amusing to me, I find it calming to watch sheep argue about who they're going to hate today. Add Verizon to the list.

The iHate Vendor list is getting pretty long these days.

As soon as my contract is over I'm gone in a Flash.

Edit. You didn't keep the part of my post in your quote that said "I love the Smell of Fear on Football Sunday".

That's just sad.
  • Reply 104 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Cool! We amuse each other, then. What's not to like?

Incidentally, you mean Verizon was only just added to the list?!

Verizon was going to be the savior for the iTablet that has been rumored for 10 years.

Most people in the room want Verizon added as a second vendor because AT&T is failing so bad in so many areas.
  • Reply 105 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Calling it vaporware seems like a desperate attempt to discredit something you (and I) know nothing about. Since you're a regular visitor to this, you're already aware that Verizon announced they'd have an Android phone in the near future. Having seen the commercial, you now know the name (Droid) and the month it will arrive (November). Hardly sounds like vaporware to me.

It's viral marketing, plain and simple. Show an interesting yet confusing commercial, provide a link to a website and see how many people show up. Hardly a revolutionary concept, but obviously effective given how much the technique is used currently. People have learned to tune out standard commercials so they use something that grabs your attention. The "music" at the end is unique enough that it will grab your attention if you're near a TV when it starts.

As if I'm some kind of mindless robot that automatically responds to external noise stimuli. If that's all they've got, and it might be, judging by the silly name "Droid", then they're clueless and they'll fail.

A concatenation of features does not a product make.

So what has made the iPhone a success despite its miserable failings and all that it lacks? That is what the competition continues to be clueless about.
  • Reply 106 of 166
    Quote:

The postings here are amusing to me, I find it calming to watch sheep argue about who they're going to hate today. Add Verizon to the list.

As soon as my contract is over I'm gone in a Flash.

I hated Verizon long before the iphone came out. Has to do with something called a RAZR and the worst POS WinMob phone ever created: The Treo 700w.
  • Reply 107 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

What does history have to do with anything? History shows that Apple makes users wait for 3 generations for basic features that other devices have had for years, iPhones and iPods alike. My Verizon phone has features that the iPhone still doesn't have. Bluetooth on the iPhone is practically useless for anything beyond hands free. The physical keyboard on my Verizon phone makes texting and emailing a breeze.

If the iPods and iPhones are so terrible, why are they dominating the marketplace and why is everyone chasing Apple instead of verizon? hmmmm ? And how many generations of verizon POS will it take to come close to what Apple has developed?
  • Reply 108 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That's just sad.

I was thinking the same thing....
  • Reply 109 of 166
    Quote:

Verizon was going to be the savior for the iTablet that has been rumored for 10 years.

Most people in the room want Verizon added as a second vendor because AT&T is failing so bad in so many areas.

(i) 'Verizon was'? No. (ii) '10 years'? No. (iii) 'Most people'? No. (iv) 'So many areas?' No.

You're amusing, see?
  • Reply 110 of 166
    Why? Because ATT's service pricing for the iPhone is ridiculous. It's too expensive. ATT nickle and dimes us for everything. $100 per month is the only option, and I think it should be less than that. Furthermore, you can't have the iPhone on a not data plan. They have me by the balls.

I hope the Droid is a really good phone with really great features and a good pricing plan. I'm sick of ATT's crappy cell service. I get dropped calls way too much. The 3G eats up batterly life like no tomorrow. I like Apple and the iPhone, but Apple is starting to get a bit too big and a bit too powerful for their own good.

They try and control every aspect of your experience, including keeping the OS closed.

If the iPhone were on Verizon or some other network, I would stay 100% with my iPhone, but ATT is really getting on my last nerve.

I want better service, and I believe Verizon has it.
  • Reply 111 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

Then, you should definitely seek it out, and I have no doubt that you'll be happier. Good luck with Droid.
  • Reply 112 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(i) 'Verizon was'? No. (ii) '10 years'? No. (iii) 'Most people'? No. (iv) 'So many areas?' No.

You're amusing, see?

Selective Memory? iThink so. There's a map for that if you want to look it up.
  • Reply 113 of 166
    Strangely reminiscent of these. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7nsBoqJ6s8

So not only are they strange, they're not even original.... Nothing wrong with creating a little prerelease hype, but I feel like this was poorly done.

Also, exclusive handsets are far from the biggest concern in the current cell phone industry. The NY Times had a good article on that very topic here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/te...h/23pogue.html

Basically, I feel like saying that phones should be carrier independent is like saying operating systems should be hardware independent. That would be like me saying that I should be able to run OSx on my old Dell laptop, and Apple should cater to me, because I don't want to buy a Mac. Sometimes exclusivity is a good thing and allows a company to differentiate itself from its competitors. I really feel like this is a non-issue.
  • Reply 114 of 166
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Why? Because ATT's service pricing for the iPhone is ridiculous. It's too expensive. ATT nickle and dimes us for everything. $100 per month is the only option, and I think it should be less than that. Furthermore, you can't have the iPhone on a not data plan. They have me by the balls.

I hope the Droid is a really good phone with really great features and a good pricing plan. I'm sick of ATT's crappy cell service. I get dropped calls way too much. The 3G eats up batterly life like no tomorrow. I like Apple and the iPhone, but Apple is starting to get a bit too big and a bit too powerful for their own good.

They try and control every aspect of your experience, including keeping the OS closed.

If the iPhone were on Verizon or some other network, I would stay 100% with my iPhone, but ATT is really getting on my last nerve.

So I guess you don't realize that Verizon charges pretty much what AT&T charges for smartphone plans?
  • Reply 115 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

If the iPods and iPhones are so terrible, why are they dominating the marketplace and why is everyone chasing Apple instead of verizon? hmmmm ? And how many generations of verizon POS will it take to come close to what Apple has developed?

If anything it takes Microsoft 3 generations to get something right: Windows 3.0 (third try), Windows NT (NT5 being the third version of NT to work well), the Zune, Vista (Vista to Vista SP1 to WIn7).
  • Reply 116 of 166
    Quote:

We don't hate you ... we just feel sorry that you're stuck in such a pathetic life ... big difference!
  • Reply 117 of 166
    Quote:

Same thing with T-Mobile: $25 internet plan on Android phones or $35 for that and unlimited text. At least Att has a reason; it's so you can use the visual voicemail feature.

Yep, Apple does control everything about the phone. But just because Android is Linux doesn't make it any more open. Oh sure, you can submit whatever app you want, but I don't feel like making Java level apps (someone said they allow OS level development, but no one has proved it with a source).
  • Reply 118 of 166
    Quote:

I enjoy raining on your propaganda, but both AT&T and Apple will continue to exceed Wall Street estimates.
  • Reply 119 of 166
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Funny stuff! I wonder what happens with a 3G data connection on the DROID when a cell call comes in? Right now Verizon pauses the data connection until the call is completed. Not because of technical reasons, but simply because this is a restriction Verizon has put on their customers using their 3G network.

Does the DROID get special treatment that other Verizon smartphones don't get?

Or does the DROID not consider a voice call a "simultaneous app"?

I smell an effective iPhone ad on the day the DROID is actually released...
  • Reply 120 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Same thing with T-Mobile: $25 internet plan on Android phones or $35 for that and unlimited text.

Jeesh, I was practicing my speed-reading lessons on your post ... got all excited, threw on my hat and had one foot out the door when it hit me .... you said "unlimited text" ..... not unlimited sex. ...... Damn, so close ... so close!