Verizon sets its sights on Apple, AT&T in ad campaign

Comments

• Reply 61 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

i doubt that...i think apple would thoroughly enjoy having verizon do a 180 and carry the iphone. it would be a huge statement in support of the device.

Heh. I think Steve would thoroughly enjoy telling Verizon to go to h#ll when/if they come begging. Verizon declared the war, they'd better not expect any peace terms any time soon.

Unfortunately, with any war it's the civilians who get hurt in the crossfire. Verizon would've been a good competitor to Ma Bell.
  • Reply 62 of 166
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I?m looking forward to seeing this phone. So far it sounds like Android has finally matured to a point to be a real competitor. I?m pretty certain I?ll stick with the iPhone but anything that forces Apple to work harder is al right by me. Top of my list is a better messaging system like in Android and WebOS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camarobh View Post

My very non-technical wife, who has an iPhone 3G, watched the "Droid" add. She quickly knew it was against the iPhone, had no clue what "Droid" is or means, and has no desire to figure it out. Most of the add talks about a competitor, and most consumers won't know, or care, what "droid" is.

Having said that, I hope any android phone on Verizon is at least somewhat successful so Apple will continue to be motivated to further innovate with the iPhone.

I think it?s a great ad. Droid obviously competing directly with the iPhone and they seem to have made impact. Enough to warrant AI to do a write up on a Sunday about it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Except Apple doesn't make fun of Microsoft or Dell, they make fun of ?PCs.?

I?d say that used to be true when the ?Get a Mac? ads first aired, but Vista was so poorly received finally mentioned Windows and Vista by name and did comparisons. I don?t recall them actually mentioning Microsoft, though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drknite30 View Post

What I don't understand is everyone just looking at this as iphone vs. Verizon. Nobody seems to be upset of the line 5 year exclusive deal. Why should I buy a phone and get stuck to one carrier. How is that capitalism? Why can't I buy the best phone out there and go to the best service out there. Wake up people.

Capitalism doesn?t mean what you think it means if you think a company should be forced to R&D an extra phone that doesn?t vibe with how they wish to capitalize on their product. You have the choice to choose a different vendor and carrier or build your own product if the market isn?t suiting your specific needs.
  • Reply 63 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

That was my first thought also.

Common wisdom has it that the iPhone is about to go multi-carrier, and on the eve of that expectation, Verizon does the one thing that will count them out.

Either they made the completely foolhardy choice to reject Apple yet again, or the iPhone is staying with AT&T is my guess. I can't imagine if Apple actually was in talks with them they would turn them down a second time.

i dont think apple needs the headache of dealing with verizon right now when they are breaking exclusivity in many countries and moving into china simultaneously. as it is now it seems apple cant make the phones fast enough to keep up with demand. i think apple has known for a while (and verizon recently realized?) that iphone for verizon is not coming until 2011. i also think apple wouldve gone to verizon had there been any real competition on the horizon.
  • Reply 64 of 166
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

It's viral marketing, plain and simple. Show an interesting yet confusing commercial, provide a link to a website and see how many people show up. Hardly a revolutionary concept, but obviously effective given how much the technique is used currently. People have learned to tune out standard commercials so they use something that grabs your attention. The "music" at the end is unique enough that it will grab your attention if you're near a TV when it starts.

you're the only commenter on this thread who begins to get it. Verizon is not "going after" the iPhone. instead it is trying to launch its new branded product, the Droid, at a time when lots of new phones, including lots of new Android models, are hitting the market. its big problem is standing out from the rest of the pack of new phones. so Verizon wants "buzz," and is just trying to generate some controversy to get it. and anything with the word "iPhone" in it gets the most attention these days.

remember, the #1 target group for Verizon is its own customers who don't have a second gen smartphone or data plan yet. Verizon would much rather sell them its own Droid than BB's Storm 2 et al. and it does't want to lose them to iPhone/AT&T or any other smartphone brand/telco of course.

no one but Apple has a complete integrated PMP/OS ecosystem yet like iPhone/iPod/iTunes/Quicktime/Safari/MobileMe/AppleTV (all cross-platform plus iLife for Mac owners). until they do, they are just not in the same league. any snarking about iPhone's missing bells and whistles is to no avail.
  • Reply 65 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Integrated contact management (something the iPhone lacks and all other mobiles have), is fairly arcane in itself, but it's something that most users of these devices would know about, and it's not even mentioned.

I see you strung together three words "integrated", "contact", and "management" but for the life of me I cannot derive any useful context from it. Maybe you can enlighten me as to what it is you believe the others have and the iPhone doens't without the bullcrap.
  • Reply 66 of 166
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Verizon fumbled the iPhone deal, ignoring the "always bet on Apple" rule, and now they're reduced to attacking Apple directly, which is a recipe for failure.
  • Reply 67 of 166
    Quote:

i doubt that...i think apple would thoroughly enjoy having verizon do a 180 and carry the iphone. it would be a huge statement in support of the device.

I would have to %100 agree. I don't doubt there will be an apple product in one form or another for Verizon just around the bend. On the first two android releases, this has been already in the planning stages since mid 2008, This ad is a teaser just like a film teaser. Get you interested, or pissed off, even maybe an emotional response. I wasn't personally crazy about the ad, but it must've been affective since there's now a bunch of postings about it going into a lot of not-really-related-things to the AD.

I can't believe i'm posting this on apple insider as I'm not sure if this will be understood correctly, I'd give google/android a chance since google seems to be doing what apple stated they would in mobile when they began & be on as many multiple platforms & networks as possible. They seem to be really pulling it off.
  • Reply 68 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

You're new around these parts, aren't you.

Only if being a switcher during the Woz era counts as new....

Maybe this is just corporate gameship, but I certainly wouldn't expect ANY future favors after getting belligerent with today's Apple!
  • Reply 69 of 166
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    As well they should, at least when it comes to ATT.

ATT still lives in the last century (sorry the truth hurts). Their 3G coverage is pathetic in comparison and ATT has routinely lied to me about when 3G will be rolled out where I live, and it's still not here.

I can only hope Apple does the right thing and adds another US carrier, because I will switch if ATT does not get their act together. After all, I am paying them $30 a month for NOTHING!!!!
  • Reply 70 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

I see you strung together three words "integrated", "contact", and "management" but for the life of me I cannot derive any useful context from it. Maybe you can enlighten me as to what it is you believe the others have and the iPhone doens't without the bullcrap.

You haven't seen the "lady of the lake" with the Palm Pre, have you?

Nice feature, but at least for me, a person who looks at Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and other crap like it as the plague of the last few years, it doesn't sell for me.

Android does the same for gmail and other Google Services.

Verizon, what took you so long to notice Android? Dumbasses.
  • Reply 71 of 166
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Let's see, is it true that Apple went to Verizon with their iPhone concept and Verizon said NO?!

Is it true that Verizon customers complain about how the phones Verizon does sell are "crippled" by Verizon so you have to use Verizon's V-Cast and pay extra for their services, etc?

Maybe Apple should make an ad entitled "iWon't!"

Then Apple can run a second ad and highlight the name of all names to choose for a OS, the competition chooses "Android"!?

Who wants to be an Android? What does Android mean? Android defined: an automaton that resembles a human being.

Hmm, something that resembles something??? Maybe Apple can make an ad borrowing the Geico Cavemen using a 'Droid phone and a modern day human being of Apple's choosing using the iPhone?!

Or...

An ad saying, you can be an Android (and show a scene from iRobot) then show iPhone users, members of the everyday Human Race! (and have thousand of everyday, real iPhone owning, people there making a statement, we are not a machine acting as human!

I'm sure there are a lot of, hit just as hard and to the point, ads that Apple can come up with to counteract.. Oh like here is another, Apple can highlight all of the phones Verizon is recently talking about and then have the announcer say, "We've been expecting you", and then Pat Benitar sings "Hit Me with Your Best Shot" and a blurry image of a iPhone prototype overlaid with text saying "The Best is Yet to Come!"

Finally, go for the classics! Does anyone remember the late '80's Dominoes pizza commercial "Avoid the Noid!" Apple can remake, with the help of Pixar, an updated version of that commercial and title it, "Avoid the 'Droid!" Just sub the pizza with iPhone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bri0SA7FTf4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPPsg...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVeNr...eature=related
  • Reply 72 of 166
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theobold View Post

I would have to %100 agree. I don't doubt there will be an apple product in one form or another for Verizon just around the bend. On the first two android releases, this has been already in the planning stages since mid 2008, This ad is a teaser just like a film teaser. Get you interested, or pissed off, even maybe an emotional response. I wasn't personally crazy about the ad, but it must've been affective since there's now a bunch of postings about it going into a lot of not-really-related-things to the AD.

I can't believe i'm posting this on apple insider as I'm not sure if this will be understood correctly, I'd give google/android a chance since google seems to be doing what apple stated they would in mobile when they began & be on as many multiple platforms & networks as possible. They seem to be really pulling it off.

I really don't get the "ads are effective if they get tech discussion boards to talk about them" theory.

If tech discussion board chatter were the mark of successful advertising, then any number of "iPhone killers" would have hit it big by now.

Verizon could run an ad with their CEO demanding that Steve Jobs blow him, and we would certainly be talking about it, but would that count as a "successful" campaign?
  • Reply 73 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

The language of the ad surprises me:

The sharp break between the happy, shiny world of the iDon't, with its bright, singsong music, then the dystopian techno grunge of the Droid, makes me think the Terminator is about to arrive.

Seriously, giving the impression that SkyNet is about to be turned on and all that is good in the world is going to be swept away, may be a way to sell it to those who WANT the machines to win, but hey, I'll stick with happy and shiny!

That's the first thing I noticed also. The ad is a conceptual nightmare. It does suggest that the menacing Droid is coming to crush and destroy any hope of happiness and joy in the world. Why it goes from happy, light music and visuals to the darkest depths of hell is anyones guess. I think Verizon hired some high school kid to make it.
  • Reply 74 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psykohed View Post

That's the first thing I noticed also. The ad is a conceptual nightmare. It does suggest that the menacing Droid is coming to crush and destroy any hope of happiness and joy in the world. Why it goes from happy, light music and visuals to the darkest depths of hell is anyones guess. I think Verizon hired some high school kid to make it.

this ad (if it's a real ad) should stop at the :20 mark

very poorly executed
  • Reply 75 of 166
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psykohed View Post

Naw, it's just that advertisers and agencies are obsessed with being "edgy." They think edgy cuts through the clutter and gets noticed.

Which is great if you're Burger King and you want teenagers to think of you as being a little bit crazy, because teenagers love the crazy. But if you want to sell an expensive hand held computer to as many people as humanly possible? Seems counterproductive.

I think the cell phone industry has been doing the same shit for so long they just can't bring themselves to change it up.
  • Reply 76 of 166
    Here is what it says on their site about what 'DROID DOES'.

Directions - iCan

Video - iCan

Tunes - iCan

10k apps - iCan do more

The network - iDon't Care

Multitasking - iStill don't care

High speed - iCan do that too

Hi-res - iCan still do that

5 MP - iWill get upgraded

Andriod 2.0 - iCan do iPhone OS, suck it

Speech Recognition - iCan!

Notification Panel - iAm guessing that iCan

Now let's just wait for Verizon to make ads stating 'There's some cr@p for that!'
  • Reply 77 of 166
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I really don't get the "ads are effective if they get tech discussion boards to talk about them" theory.

If tech discussion board chatter were the mark of successful advertising, then any number of "iPhone killers" would have hit it big by now.

Verizon could run an ad with their CEO demanding that Steve Jobs blow him, and we would certainly be talking about it, but would that count as a "successful" campaign?

I would say it's a SUCESS cause it's all over the news today, that's not a "theory". That's how I heard about it. NO, I don't see allot of telecoms making the same impact, sorry.

"Verizon could run an ad with their CEO demanding that Steve Jobs blow him" LOL-that's probably the ad of the future--that's funny man.
  • Reply 78 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neotyguy40 View Post

Here is what it says on their site about what 'DROID DOES'.

Directions - iCan

Video - iCan

Tunes - iCan

10k apps - iCan do more

The network - iDon't Care

Multitasking - iStill don't care

High speed - iCan do that too

Hi-res - iCan still do that

5 MP - iWill get upgraded

Andriod 2.0 - iCan do iPhone OS, suck it

Speech Recognition - iCan!

Notification Panel - iAm guessing that iCan

Now let's just wait for Verizon to make ads stating 'There's some cr@p for that!'

you forgot

Physical keyboard - nobody cares
  • Reply 79 of 166
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    I think there are serious hurdles for Verizon to deploy LTE in the US. An entire backbone with fiberoptics, switches, routers, etc will have to be deployed to handle the data volume. Then the wave propagation characteristics of LTE will need different antenna spacing in some locations. A system is as good as the weakest link.

Meanwhile any phone that uses LTE will have to have CDMA/EVDO radio as well with separate power amp in the transmit and receive part. Very expensive, bulky and power hog. That is why we do not see too many GSM/3G+CDMA/EVDO handsets... and QCOM does make those chipsets.

I think Verizon realized that, so they decided to torch the earth... ie attack the iPhone since they know they are not likely to get the phone. It also means Apple is not inclined to make a CDMA/EVDO phone, at least for Verizon. Other reasons could be that they do not like Apple's terms and feel that with the Android or even a future Pre, they got the equivalent, while retaining control.

As an investor, I would have preferred that Apple would make a CDMA/EVDO phone and Verizon accept the terms. I suppose could grow wings and fly too.
  • Reply 80 of 166
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

They make some good criticisms.

I find it funny that Apple is hurrah'd when they make fun of Microsoft or Dell, but then people poo-poo anyone who does the same to the almighty Apple. "You can dish it out but you can't take it" comes to mind.

the latest facts are in >> reported by the npd market research idiots

when apple is attacked in an ad it increases apple sales

when a windsows7 came out it increased apple sales

putting apple in the news of any kind increases sales across the board

so dude apple stockholders are sitting crossed legged saying

what me worry ??

<<from the old MAD magazine logo >>