Verizon sets its sights on Apple, AT&T in ad campaign

Comments

• Reply 81 of 166
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    These ads just prove that Verizon is super concerned with the iPhone. The number of Verizon Wireless defectors have risen sharply, and these ads are aimed at keeping remaining Verizon Wireless customers in the fold. The Storm, which was their big gun last year, has proven inept at doing so, and in VW's view, Blackberry has nothing else. So now, it turns to the Droid, which I assume, will be tied to Verizon for a very long time (since it'll be branded as a Verizon phone). BTW, if anyone who complains about the iPhone being tied to one carrier buys a Droid, well, then, they're just hypocrites.

In any case, when VW reports their 3rd quarter results soon, we'll see how bad the damage was. And if the Droid is successful, maybe Motorola CAN make a return from the dead.
  • Reply 82 of 166
    Verizon's advert pokes fun at the Apple/ATT ad's, however they should take a closer look at their own adverts on "maps" for using their phones overseas.

With the main image showing a backdrop of local people and pastimes in Australia or Mexico etc, the "Verizon" guy is seen holding a Blackberry. Closer scrutiny shows the phone displaying GPS directions in Italy!

Clearly Verizon needs to get "A Map for that" too!
  • Reply 83 of 166
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Verizon fumbled the iPhone deal, ignoring the "always bet on Apple" rule, and now they're reduced to attacking Apple directly, which is a recipe for failure.

verizon is creating a buzz around its new stuff

they fear apple >>> i mean they really fear apple

cause apple with ease came out and changes the landscape for smartphones and such

we both know the story

verizon fear's what next

they fear all that profit apple makes means it can strip costs by 30 percent and still make good money leaving verizon with no upside at all in a price phone war

their biggest FEAR is the the darkest secret no speaks about

the carrier less NANO=PHONE

starbucks has instant coffee

quite good
  • Reply 84 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Very nice ad.

Just wandered in, huh.... ? Whatever.

• Reply 85 of 166
    I thought I would check out the DroidDoes.com site right after viewing the ad and discovered that the site will not load/render in an iPhone. Wow, that's hilarious. DroidDoesn't! Even more amusing is that after loading the site on a PC, the site states "Don't you wish you had a robot sidekick..." Bad choice of wording after the Microsoft/Danger/Sidekick data fiasco.
  • Reply 86 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

They make some good criticisms.

I find it funny that Apple is hurrah'd when they make fun of Microsoft or Dell, but then people poo-poo anyone who does the same to the almighty Apple. "You can dish it out but you can't take it" comes to mind.

The problem isn't that they make fun of apple. It is generally they don't do it with class/very well. No the there's a map for that, that was classic. I am a huge apple fan I only have apple comps and phones. But the "There's a map for that" was both well done and classy.
  • Reply 87 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisTheGeek View Post

I thought I would check out the DroidDoes.com site right after viewing the ad and discovered that the site will not load/render in an iPhone. Wow, that's hilarious. DroidDoesn't! Even more amusing is that after loading the site on a PC, the site states "Don't you wish you had a robot sidekick..." Bad choice of wording after the Microsoft/Danger/Sidekick data fiasco.

That would because the iPhone Don't Do Flash.

Doesn't Apple report earning tomorrow? Kind of ironic that Google/Motorola/Verizon would choose today to put what iDon't Do in analysts heads.
  • Reply 88 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Nice visuals, but pretty lame. Brings more attention to idont.com, which is squatted. Going to be an interesting turn in the industry soon... we'll have to see what shakes out.

This ad backfires. Using the very music from the Apple TV ad just reinforces the Apple brand. A bit of a cheap shot. Wonder if they market tested this one or its some bright spark's *original idea*
  • Reply 89 of 166
    mac31mac31 Posts: 44member
    It's Verizon's own fault for not capitalizing on the iPhone when it had the chance. Now they're down to attacking it? Not very classy.

I also did not think the "There's a map for that" commercials were well done. Like I said, it's their own fault for not jumping on it when they had the chance. Where I live, Verizon is crap. I was so glad to be shot of them 2 years ago.
  • Reply 90 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

Doesn't Apple report earning tomorrow? Kind of ironic that Google/Motorola/Verizon would choose today to put what iDon't Do in analysts heads.

Yeah. Analysts have been waiting for precisely this insightful ad before they can advise their clients.....

Brilliant, man!
  • Reply 91 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psykohed View Post

That's the first thing I noticed also. The ad is a conceptual nightmare. It does suggest that the menacing Droid is coming to crush and destroy any hope of happiness and joy in the world. Why it goes from happy, light music and visuals to the darkest depths of hell is anyones guess. I think Verizon hired some high school kid to make it.

Giraffes! Giraffes!
  • Reply 92 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

Where I live, Verizon is crap. I was so glad to be shot of them 2 years ago.

My experience too, with the company. Good riddance.

To some extent, however, it's not their fault -- they are stuck with a dead-end technology (CDMA) that has barely any adherents anywhere else.

4G is their only salvation.
  • Reply 93 of 166
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Anyone who understands advertising knows that whoever approved this ad belongs out of a job. Absolutely worthless. It makes me throw up a little just thinking of how much was spent for the playoff slots, with an ad that about 4 people watching might almost understand.
  • Reply 94 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah. Analysts have been waiting for precisely this insightful ad before they can advise their clients.....

Brilliant, man!

I have told you numerous times to add me to your ignore list.

iDon't Care What you think.

Ride the Google Wave...

Wait... you can't. Steve won't let you.

Ride the path that Steve lets you with last years parts.

Hey, keep your heads up Apple Fans. You're getting an FM radio. Now that's innovation at it's best.

For so many people that don't care, there sure are a lot of people in the room on a Sunday night telling the other sheep why this is an iFail.

I love the smell of Fear on Football Sunday!
  • Reply 95 of 166
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Here's a thought: if the cost of ownership/terms for the Droid are pretty much the same as the iPhone (2 year contract that you don't get to break just because Motorola updates the phone at some point, mandatory data plan, etc.) are a lot of people going to start screaming about how Verizon is "raping" their customers and how Motorola "could" make the phone cheaper to own if they wanted to and post endlessly about how their Sprint plan gets them everything they could ever want for $20 a month?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no.
  • Reply 96 of 166
    Quote:

I have told you numerous times to add me to your ignore list.

iDon't Care What you think.

Ride the Google Wave...

Wait... you can't. Steve won't let you.

Ride the path that Steve lets you with last years parts.

Hey, keep your heads up Apple Fans. You're getting an FM radio. Now that's innovation at it's best.

Nah. You're too weirdly interesting to add to my 'ignore' list. I get a kick out of the fairly nonsensical stuff you post.

The only thing that puzzles me is why you even go through the self-inflicted pain of inhabiting this list. Masochism is as masochism does, I suppose.
  • Reply 97 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

I also did not think the "There's a map for that" commercials were well done. Like I said, it's their own fault for not jumping on it when they had the chance. Where I live, Verizon is crap. I was so glad to be shot of them 2 years ago.

This may seem weird or petty, but the main reason I won't go with Verizon again is their infuriating voicemail... Two seconds in I hear, 'If you are satisfied with your message...'. I usually end up RANTING into my friends' voicemail after that.

I won't put my friends and family through that which infuriates me.

Chet
  • Reply 98 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nah. You're too weirdly interesting to add to my 'ignore' list. I get a kick out of the fairly nonsensical stuff you post.

The only thing that puzzles me is why you even go through the self-inflicted pain of inhabiting this list. Masochism is as masochism does, I suppose.

The postings here are amusing to me, I find it calming to watch sheep argue about who they're going to hate today. Add Verizon to the list.

The iHate Vendor list is getting pretty long these days.

As soon as my contract is over I'm gone in a Flash.

Edit. You didn't keep the part of my post in your quote that said "I love the Smell of Fear on Football Sunday".
  • Reply 99 of 166
    All this excitement over a device that does not exist yet -- check out the hyperventilation over at engadget.com: the geeks there are positively giddy... going nuts, in fact (450 posts over the same story!).
  • Reply 100 of 166
    Quote:

The postings here are amusing to me, I find it calming to watch sheep argue about who their going to hate today. Add Verizon to the list.

Cool! We amuse each other, then. What's not to like?

Incidentally, you mean Verizon was only just added to the list?!