Motorola Droid estimated to have sold 100,000 in first weekend

Comments

• Reply 81 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

There are quite a few Android phones already in the market and they have been for some time now.

The Droid is a third or fourth Salvo, the G1 was the first salvo, then there's the Magic, the Hero, donuts and cupcakes and now eclairs.

People tend to ignore all the previous iPhone-Killers of the past two years.

They prefer to pretend every supposedly succeeder is unique and anew.

That's kind of cute actually, to see them suffer from collective amnesia each month or two.
  • Reply 82 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllenKids View Post

People tend to ignore all the previous iPhone-Killers of the past two years.

They prefer to pretend every supposedly succeeder is unique and anew.

That's kind of cute actually, to see them suffer from collective amnesia each month or two.

But isn't each succeeder unique and new? Compare the Droid's specs running Android 2.0 with the G1. Pretty different if you ask me.
  • Reply 83 of 168
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    My take on the Droid and its advertisements: Asimov's laws of robotics prevail: I ain't no robot, I'm a human, and no pip squeak little droidy smartphone is going to dictate my life.
  • Reply 84 of 168
  • Reply 85 of 168
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

But isn't each succeeder unique and new? Compare the Droid's specs running Android 2.0 with the G1. Pretty different if you ask me.

That is potentially a huge problem for Android has a mobile OS. Developers have to build to the lowest common denominator to suit all devices by making a less than stellar app or have to build an app that specifically targets a particular device or devices if they want attempt some worthy. This will potentially make the choice too complex for the typical user. On top of that, OS X and Cocoa are much more developed and refined making any direct current app to app comparisons tip heavily in Apple?s favour.
  • Reply 86 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://blog.telephonyonline.com/unfi...handset-maker/

Quite the trend . . .

Actually, Apple reportedly was #1 for the first half of 2009, before the 3GS was launched, with 32% hold of all operating profits for the entire handset industry, not just the smartphones market segment.
  • Reply 87 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is potentially a huge problem for Android has a mobile OS. Developers have to build to the lowest common denominator to suit all devices by making a less than stellar app or have to build an app that specifically targets a particular device or devices if they want attempt some worthy. This will potentially make the choice too complex for the typical user. On top of that, OS X and Cocoa are much more developed and refined making any direct current app to app comparisons tip heavily in Apple?s favour.

If I'm reading it correctly, the latest SDK for Android 2.0 eliminates this problem to an extent. All of the models from the Droid on have high-end specs as the "lowest common denominator", so there shouldn't be a huge performance hit from one device to another. The biggest difference I've seen are the screen sizes and Google has demonstrated that the SDK can take that into account.

There is something to be said about uniformity and apps guaranteed to work across the board is one of them.

But isn't this problem appearing, to an extent, in the App Store? Wasn't there an issue where the new software and hardware on the iPhone 3GS caused developers to create "3GS only" apps?
  • Reply 88 of 168
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

If I'm reading it correctly, the latest SDK for Android 2.0 eliminates this problem to an extent. All of the models from the Droid on have high-end specs as the "lowest common denominator", so there shouldn't be a huge performance hit from one device to another. The biggest difference I've seen are the screen sizes and Google has demonstrated that the SDK can take that into account.

There is something to be said about uniformity and apps guaranteed to work across the board is one of them.

But isn't this problem appearing, to an extent, in the App Store? Wasn't there an issue where the new software and hardware on the iPhone 3GS caused developers to create "3GS only" apps?

There will always be some problem with newer phones being faster, and having newer features.

But with Apple, there is an evolution over time. After a year or two people will want a newer version of their phone, if there are apps and hardware that requires it.

But, with Android, Symbian, Win Mobile and such, you will have several "generations" of phone coming out at the same time.

So with the 3GS, we have a compass. But it's in all the new phones (except for the $99 3G, which will be replaced). But with Android phones, only some will have it. If you write an app, how do you determine how many you have a chance of selling to? Will customers even know if the phone they're buying will have the compass? Will they even know, until they buy your app, and find out it doesn't work? Or go to the store, only to find that something has to determine if their phone can use your app?

What happens when they find out that their brand new phone won't run your app which has gotten five star ratings from everywhere?

What if you advertise your great multitouch features, only for them to find that the version of Android on their phone doesn't support them, as is true with a new HTC Android phone which only supports it on HTC's own apps?

See the problem here?

With the iPhone, people know that older phones may not support all the new features, and that's expected, as they do support almost all. Then they'll think that they'll upgrade their phone in a year or so.

But with Android, new phones may be obsolete the day they come out, if they lack certain abilities, and most customers won't even know it until they find that something doesn't work.

Why is this a problem?

Because other than some "super phones", customers don't really understand what they're getting. They get some of it, but not most. I see them in the store. They look at the phones. They pick one up, look at it, push a few buttons. When the salesperson helps them, they ask a few questions, and get a few answers.

When they buy the phone, they're shown the very basic concepts of using it AS A PHONE!

They're not shown the 20 top features, as it's not likely that the sales person even knows what they are.

But, with a "super phone" they're trained to know much of it. But past that, most of the phones are just more dreary phones competing against more dreary phones, and none stand out. There are far too many models for a salesperson to know, or care much about them. Same thing true for the customer.

I'm even willing to bet that most Android buyers won't know about their store, or know how to use it. Not for these new, highly hyped models, but a year or two from now, when there will be a couple of dozen nondescript models out there, looking like every other phone out there.
  • Reply 89 of 168
    Quote:

Doesn?t eliminate it, just makes it less of an issue. Android developers have been blogging about it. There are pros and cons to Android but the long term for the user looks bad. If you have differnt screen sizes, CPUs and GPU configurations, storage capacity, input methods you are going to run into problems. The SDK isn?t nearly advanced enough to deal with a seemingly infinite number of configurations.

Even now, the 1 year old HTC G1 is obsolete and can?t even get v2.0, yet the original iPhone is retaining its value, will be updated at least up until the middle of next year and can get pretty much every app on the App Store.

Quote:

Liekly because of the compass, but possibly because of the need for OpenGL ES 2.0. That actually reinforces my statement. Even with a single device with the same size display size and a direct stepping from one set of HW specs to the next, there are limitations. Once you get a dozen vendors with a dozen different devices each it?s going to be inconvenient for the typical consumer.
  • Reply 90 of 168
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    How could any phone company compete with the blind following Apple had when it launched the iphone?

When you take that fact into account and consider 100,000 units sold in a bustling market vs 300,000 units sold into an emerging market, it's safe to say this was a successful launch for Motorola. They definitely made a splash.

I don't think its a fantasy to think that an Android based phone could someday see the same numbers from it's initial launch as the iphone did.
  • Reply 91 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

You're comparing 1st generation Android numbers to the latest generation of iPhone numbers. Like the article said, it took 74 days for the original iPhone to reach 1 million.

You must account for the fact that the iPhone original created the direction this industry is attempting to reach.

This market is now highly profitable, due to the iPhone, and everyone is now attempting to be the next iPhone.

The risk taker in this market is Apple.

They are driving the areas of development and counter-development, not RIMM or Google or Moto or Nokia, etc.

All toolkits are attempting to match Cocoa Touch.

By the way, knowing as I do these guys the code they have upcoming has been in development for at least 18 months in many areas yet released for commercial consumption.

Just as the latest Steve project has been in development for > 3 years, so has accompanying software for it that will roll out into general public frameworks.
  • Reply 92 of 168
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

How could any phone company compete with the blind following Apple had when it launched the iphone?

When you take that fact into account and consider 100,000 units sold in a bustling market vs 300,000 units sold into an emerging market, it's safe to say this was a successful launch for Motorola. They definitely made a splash.

I don't think its a fantasy to think that an Android based phone could someday see the same numbers from it's initial launch as the iphone did.

I wouldn't call it a blind following. We all saw the phone 6 months before it came out, and we all knew what it would, and would not do. We read the reviews that came out before the phone was actually on sale.

It certainly wasn't blind. People had very good experiences with their iPods as well. Apple had a well founded reputation for making portable devices.

At some point, I expect an Android phone to sell 300,000 in its first weekend. But how many smartphones will be selling every year by then? When Apple first sold the iPhone, there were many less smartphones sold that year.

So if in a couple of years, an Android phone sells 300,000 in the weekend, what will that mean? Not as much. They'll have to sell a lot more to get attention.
  • Reply 93 of 168
    Quote:

It?s funny how perceptions have changed. Prior to the iPhone?s launch the ?experts? were saying that Apple can?t possibly do well in the well established smartphone market yet now the market didn?t really exist before Apple?s decision to enter it?
  • Reply 94 of 168
    Quote:

You are so cute.

Just kidding, can't resist though.
  • Reply 95 of 168
    Quote:

That's a tough thing to do, especially with the blind following you mentioned that Apple has. But when you think about where Android was one year ago and compare it to the Droid, what an amazing growth. The potential of the OS combined with the powerful hardware that's starting to come out makes for a hell of a product. Right now, my iPhone does everything I need it to do, but if this keeps up, and Android gets even a fraction of the developer attention that Apple has, I can see myself easily passing on another iPhone and going for something with a bit more meat.

Apple better thing of something revolutionary for 4.0, because an evolutionary upgrade isn't going to compel me enough.
  • Reply 96 of 168
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Very Good Showing...

I'm very proud to say that my household purchased 2ea DROIDs last Friday, leaving one lone iPhone 3GS left, and if I continue show all that the DROID Does, that one will be gone as well.
  • Reply 97 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starnyc View Post

DROID is just another handset.

any real geek is going to get the 32GB iPhone 3GS and jailbreak it.

Yeah Right -

Like jail-breaking compensates for that archaic 320x480 display resolution, mediocre sound quality, and lack of memory expansion.

BTW - Larger DROID/Android applications place the executable (typically less than 1mb) on the device, and the data files on the microSDHC card.
  • Reply 98 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Very Good Showing...

I'm very proud to say that my household purchased 2ea DROIDs last Friday, leaving one lone iPhone 3GS left, and if I continue show all that the DROID Does, that one will be gone as well.

What apps have you found that you like?

PS: You should host a Droid party in your neighborhood alongside a Windows 7 party to drum up business for Verizon and Motorola.
  • Reply 99 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What apps have you found that you like?

PS: You should host a Droid party in your neighborhood alongside a Windows 7 party to drum up business for Verizon and Motorola.

Sure Whatever...

Anyway,

One of the very best things about Android is that the user is actually allowed to replace any core application they choose with one from the (open source) Android Market witout fear of some tyrannical Big Brother voiding their warranty etc.

Want a different GUI - There Are Many Apps For That

Want to use a different media player - There Are Many Apps For That

Want to use different camera software - There Are Many Apps For That

As for many personal DROID favorites, not including the brilliant core Google apps and turn-navigation: Advanced Task Manager (for true multitasking), AntiDROID theft, any number of the available Web Browsers, Documents2Go, Listen, Meridain Media Player, Pro Zoom Camera 5x, PicSay Pro, Power Manager, Shazam, Salcker, Pandora, Super Conversation, TwiDroid Pro, Wapedia, Where, TED, Shop Savvy, QIK, Potoshop Mobile, Meebo IM, Google Sky Map.

And there are many more that I'm currently exploring...
  • Reply 100 of 168
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

And good-bye battery life.

For now, phone cameras are snapshot cameras.

I'll worry about flash when there is a proper camera 'snap-on' through the dock connector with its own quality lens(s), battery and flash.

Exactly.

Most smartphone cameras - iPhone included - are useless.

Add flash and you get useless camera with a flash. Who-ho? Not really.

Even on perfect sunny day quality is mediocre and lagging behind proper P&S cameras as much as P&S lags behind proper DSLR camera.

Probably OK to send wife picture of available salad dressings in supermarket to chose, rather than typing (or reading) names. That's about it.

One can find phone with decent P&S, but they usually turn out to be P&S cameras with built in phone functionality. I'd feel a bit silly to keep my camera to my ear anyway.

I'd expect we'll have to wait a few more years to get CMOS or CCD capable of providing decent IQ from such a small unit, and until that happens camera flash is really non-issue.