Motorola Droid estimated to have sold 100,000 in first weekend

Comments

• Reply 121 of 168
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Out of those 100,000 apps, where is your SIP client ?

I think you just took Tecktud?s crown for most asinine comment to ever be posted on AI. That is quite an accomplishment.
  • Reply 122 of 168
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I use PennyTel, I've found their rates lower than Skype and it works better than Fring.

I haven't bothered to try any more.

You know what I like, talking to my friends about which movie to go and see while I'm looking up the information in the browser, now that's my kind of multitasking.

I also like having 4.5GB of Apps without having to bother with any 256MB maximum restriction.

I use my Jamie Oliver cookbook quite a lot at 400MB do you think it will make it to Android?

Quote:

Out of those 100,000 apps, where is your SIP client ? Easy the most useful Android application to me.

• Reply 123 of 168
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The price of GPS apps has nothing directly to do with the iPhone, the GPS developer is free to charge what they believe people will pay.

Also your video camera example again has little to directly do with the usefulness of the iPhone.

The point stands. There is a point where it simply better to use the most appropriate tool for the job rather the spending double the time, effort and money on accomplishing the job with an inferior tool that is not appropriate for the job. No one is going to avoid purchasing an Android phone, BB phone or anything else similar due to not being able to spend $400 to use their iPhone as a camcorder or spending $200 to use it as a GPS.
  • Reply 124 of 168
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    No it doesn't make sense. Right now all iPhone's run the same OS. Its true the 3GS has some functionality that the original iPhone does not have. The original iPhone will likely be cut from the next OS upgrade, but by that point it'll be three years old.

The G1 is just one year old and doesn't look as thought it will be able to use Android 2.

Quote:

It does. Although the Android phones look different, the platform and hardware features are quite the same across all devices and manufacturers. iPhone generations sports different hardware, so each generation won't run same software even after system update. Makes sense now ?

It won't stay that way for too long, one day they will drop support of older devices, but right now they are ahead of Apple in terms of device fragmentation, although it might sound strange, with all that "same software, same hardware platform" hype of Apple.

• Reply 125 of 168
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I agree its best to use the appropriate tool for the job. If you are attempting to do something on the iPhone that it is not designed to do, that is no fault of the iPhone itself.

The iPhone will not replace the standalone camcorder market anymore than it will replace the standalone still camera market. The standalone GPS device however is in its last days.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The point stands. There is a point where it simply better to use the most appropriate tool for the job rather the spending double the time, effort and money on accomplishing the job with an inferior tool that is not appropriate for the job. No one is going to avoid purchasing an Android phone, BB phone or anything else similar due to not being able to spend $400 to use their iPhone as a camcorder or spending $200 to use it as a GPS.

• Reply 126 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think you just took Tecktud?s crown for most asinine comment to ever be posted on AI. That is quite an accomplishment.

And you didn't bother to defend your lies about limitations of Android... I think this ends the discussion for me.
  • Reply 127 of 168
    Quote:

No it doesn't make sense. Right now all iPhone's run the same OS. Its true the 3GS has some functionality that the original iPhone does not have. The original iPhone will likely be cut from the next OS upgrade, but by that point it'll be three years old.

The G1 is just one year old and doesn't look as thought it will be able to use Android 2.

Talking about situation now. From the developer point of view. Right now iPhone has three distinct models with different functionality, i.e. you need to tailor your application to particular platform (for some applications - map based - the difference in functionality is huge). On the other hand, right now, Android, with all its fancy devices that look too different is just one platform that can be targeted with single release. The only exception is brand new Droid, but applications built for 1.6 runs just fine there. 2.0 (as developer brings you new API for synchronization..that API is new, no one has application ready that uses this API). By the time first developer has the application with 2.0 API in the market, there is probably an update for the G1, the last reports are quite positive. Even if there is no official release of 2.0 for G1, you can get modified OS from the community to run 2.0 API-based application on G1.

1.6 API introduced resolution independence. There is an official way how to deal with different screen sizes of new and future devices. With Apple you have ZERO information on that matter. If they ever release iPhone Nano or Tablet, you might just realize that your precious application won't work on different screen size (you have no information now, so you can't prepare).
  • Reply 128 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I use PennyTel, I've found their rates lower than Skype and it works better than Fring.

I haven't bothered to try any more.

Sure. Why get some service for free, when there is way to pay for it ? Great approach.

Quote:

You know what I like, talking to my friends about which movie to go and see while I'm looking up the information in the browser, now that's my kind of multitasking.

I prefer the "traditional" sense of multitasking. I also like to see my applications cooperate. I like they react to system events. None of this is currently possible on iPhone, but I am sure Apple will play catchup game eventually.

Quote:

I also like having 4.5GB of Apps without having to bother with any 256MB maximum restriction.

I use my Jamie Oliver cookbook quite a lot at 400MB do you think it will make it to Android?

Yeah, I think there is a way to put your cookbook on Android. Its just data. No big deal.
  • Reply 129 of 168
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Isn't Apple the one shutting out programs that developers spent time working on? Isn't Apple the one preventing people from jailbreaking their phones? Is the concept of breaking out of "jail" on the iPhone known to you?

Sure, one out of 10,000 programs gets rejected. Wow!

Jailbreakers are very often hackers, and pirates of the software that's IN the app store.

There are people hacking WebOs and Android too. So what does it prove? Nothing.
  • Reply 130 of 168
    Quote:

Some of those things have merit but many so far have been ridiculous. As an example most people when shown the cost of GPS software and dock have noted it is as much as buying the hardware without the phone. I recently saw an example where someone came up with a whole external len and microphone for an iPhone pro video camera. It was silly and seemed easier to just go buy a real camcorder.

It is sort of like trying to turn the iPhone into a pro level camera. The question of why along with cost has to come into play.

It's very funny that you would make such lame remarks.

First you pretend that the iPhone is limited, which it very clearly is not. Then you desperately try to show that one device, according to YOU, is ridiculous. It actually works very well. Is it expensive sure, and there are those who won't buy it.

But there are many apps and hardware coming out that no other platform has the slightest chance of matching, or even doing.

Pro level camera? No, it's not trying to turn the iPhone into one, just expanding the capabilities. gain, something that other phones wan't do.
  • Reply 131 of 168
    I can't remember if this has been covered in a post here or not.

After reading the article again, I noticed that it says it was based off of a survey of Verizon stores.

What about all the online Verizon pre-orders or Best Buy pre-orders (where you got the $100 rebate instantly instead of mail-in) or any other outlet that was selling Droids? I'm starting to see articles pop up that estimate numbers as high as 400,000 once those other outlets were taken into account.

And yes, yes, I know everyone's going to jump on me for the 400,000 number, but I'm just saying what's being written.
  • Reply 132 of 168
    Quote:

Not true. Google can control a lot, you can take Android OS and screw it any way you like, but you won't get Market, Navigation, Search or any other Google app...which is pretty hefty price to "differentiate". Try to learn the facts first.

I know more of the facts than you do. You don't need to go through Marketplace for one. And Google has said that they won't limit what is being sold.
  • Reply 133 of 168
    Quote:

Out of your many FUD posts, this is easy the best one. Your statement is very UNTRUE. There is plenty of stuff you can't do with iPhone and many well designed aspects of the Android OS. How about background services, multitasking, inter-application cooperation (intents), notification system (even on off-line events), global search, map overlays and others ? This all is "iDon't" on the iPhone.

Out of those 100,000 apps, where is your SIP client ? Easy the most useful Android application to me.

Your screen name is very suitable. Apparently, even you realize your limitations.

But then you show them in your posting as well. Very clever!

The only thing there that the iPhone doesn't do for third party apps is multitasking, which right now is limited to Apple's own apps, or a few third party ones such as Google Maps.

The rest are there, you just don't seem to know it.
  • Reply 134 of 168
    Quote:

Yeah, I think there is a way to put your cookbook on Android. Its just data. No big deal.

You think?

In other words, you have no idea. It's not just data, it's an app.
  • Reply 135 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

After reading the article again, I noticed that it says it was based off of a survey of Verizon stores.

What about all the online Verizon pre-orders or Best Buy pre-orders (where you got the $100 rebate instantly instead of mail-in) or any other outlet that was selling Droids? I'm starting to see articles pop up that estimate numbers as high as 400,000 once those other outlets were taken into account.

And yes, yes, I know everyone's going to jump on me for the 400,000 number, but I'm just saying what's being written.

There were 200,000 Droids available for sale in total. of those about 100,000 sold.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a4IZD2kI6dh8

There's ONE guy stating that 400,000 Droids were sold. No one knows where he gets those numbers from.
  • Reply 136 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There were 200,000 Droids available for sale in total. of those about 100,000 sold.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a4IZD2kI6dh8

There's ONE guy stating that 400,000 Droids were sold. No one knows where he gets those numbers from.

That article only says 200,000 for Verizon. And the article (and you) go on the assumption that Best Buy and other resellers only use the stock from Verizon, which I don't believe is true.

Still, that article only says that the 100,000 estimate was based off of the stores selling 1/2 their stock (on average I'm assuming, since I've read about places that sold out). It makes no mention of online pre-orders via Verizon nor how many were sold through other outlets, which will affect the numbers.

There may be more articles saying the 100,000 number, but all they are all repeats of the same person's estimate. So right now, it's still ONE guy's estimate (Mark McKechnie) vs. ONE other guy's estimate (Michael Cote). How Cote got his estimate can't be worse than McKechnie taking his thumb out and going "Ehh...1/2 means 1/2".

That's the point I was trying to get at. It could or could not be as high as 400,000, but it's definitely got to be higher than 100,000, since no other selling venues were taken into account.
  • Reply 137 of 168
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

I guess that is sort of up to the original manufacturer to decide if they want to allow the device to upgrade. This video here shows a G1 with a form of Android 2.0 already running on it.

Clearly it is just some quick hack job but it does show the possibility. Since just about anyone can download the SDK though it does open up the possibility of a group just making it work regardless of what the hardware provider decides.

Quote:

I agree its best to use the appropriate tool for the job. If you are attempting to do something on the iPhone that it is not designed to do, that is no fault of the iPhone itself.

The iPhone will not replace the standalone camcorder market anymore than it will replace the standalone still camera market. The standalone GPS device however is in its last days.

I'm apt to agree on the GPS point but not due to the iPhone. It wasn't Apple that had GPS companies stock diving with announcements. It was Google and Motorola.

Quote:

It's very funny that you would make such lame remarks.

First you pretend that the iPhone is limited, which it very clearly is not. Then you desperately try to show that one device, according to YOU, is ridiculous. It actually works very well. Is it expensive sure, and there are those who won't buy it.

But there are many apps and hardware coming out that no other platform has the slightest chance of matching, or even doing.

Pro level camera? No, it's not trying to turn the iPhone into one, just expanding the capabilities. gain, something that other phones wan't do.

As a moderator of these forums, you really should be above personal attacks.

I'll agree that there are some products coming out like this one from OWLE
    that are currently unique to the iPhone. However, especially as a long time Mac users, many of these products simply attempt to overcome the one size fits all nature of Apple solutions. Either that or they help someone already rationalize a purchase. I can't imagine anyone passing up their first choice of phone though due to the ability to buy a $99 kit to make their phone attempt to match an inexpensive camcorder. The iPhone has plenty of attachable battery packs that no other phone has as well. That is to overcome the Apple refusal to make a replaceable battery. It isn't an advantage but more like an attempt to address a limitation.

The iPhone has its 3.2Mp camera as an example. Apple may improve it next year or they may not. I'm leaning towards not since it was upgraded last year. Droid already has 5 MP and several other Android phone manufacturers are already aiming much higher than that. That will be the flexibility of that platform. If someone wants to produce a phone that is thicker with better MP and optics, someone can choose that and if someone wants no keyboard and 5 MP camera for $99, someone can produce that as well. It isn't one size fits all like Apple. I'm not claiming that hurts Apple, just noting that many of the products attempting to deal with that one size solution are not an advantage to Apple or a disadvantage to others.

Quote:

What really is interesting is why focus on the Droid alone or the Droid at all? Android is the platform that Apple has to worry about. It would be like noting Apple is okay because Asus only sold X number of PC's while ignoring Dell, HP, and others. I noted that I need three things to make the jump. Management software of some sort, an Audible.com client and perhaps I haven't investigated it enough but I want to use Yahoo in the native mail client. The Sense UI looks great and the $99 Droid Eris on Verizon is actually much more tempting to me right now than the Moto Droid. When it has 2.0 on it as well, it will be very hard to turn down.

Quote:

You think?

In other words, you have no idea. It's not just data, it's an app.

His point is valid. No one would claim that the MP3 app wouldn't work because the data has to be on the card. The phone can access unlimited data. The app limitation is being addressed and appears to be part of concerns about initiallys securing the phone. Apple has no clean bill of health here with iPhones being rickrolled and having notifications pop up begging for cash to secure them. Every platform has growing pains.
  • Reply 138 of 168
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

His point is valid. No one would claim that the MP3 app wouldn't work because the data has to be on the card. The phone can access unlimited data. The app limitation is being addressed and appears to be part of concerns about initiallys securing the phone. Apple has no clean bill of health here with iPhones being rickrolled and having notifications pop up begging for cash to secure them. Every platform has growing pains.

No, he doesn?t. When you your app has to quite small due to size limitations ands supporting fiels stored separately, it?s not only inconvenient, it?s unnatural for the average user. This will not make normal consumers happy if they have to install more files after the app install or if they remove the micro-SD card not realizing that the app is not stored internally. Smartphones geared toward geeks aren?t a real world focus. For Android to work for the average person you?ll see internal storage increase.

PS: Apple?s bill of health with the iPhone is good. The iPhone security issue is from jailbroken devices with OpenSSH installed and the root password not changed. Without these three things entry is not had. Same goes for any PC with any OS. Why is this simple fact so hard?
  • Reply 139 of 168
    Quote:

That article only says 200,000 for Verizon. And the article (and you) go on the assumption that Best Buy and other resellers only use the stock from Verizon, which I don't believe is true.

Still, that article only says that the 100,000 estimate was based off of the stores selling 1/2 their stock (on average I'm assuming, since I've read about places that sold out). It makes no mention of online pre-orders via Verizon nor how many were sold through other outlets, which will affect the numbers.

There may be more articles saying the 100,000 number, but all they are all repeats of the same person's estimate. So right now, it's still ONE guy's estimate (Mark McKechnie) vs. ONE other guy's estimate (Michael Cote). How Cote got his estimate can't be worse than McKechnie taking his thumb out and going "Ehh...1/2 means 1/2".

That's the point I was trying to get at. It could or could not be as high as 400,000, but it's definitely got to be higher than 100,000, since no other selling venues were taken into account.

You're making more assumptions than anyone else. There have been number of 100,000 estimates. So far, neither Verizon or Motorola have challenged the 1000,000 numbers.

I remember the same arguments over the Pre sales the first weekend. Estimates were as high as 100,000, but it turned out to be max, 50,000.

It's also very possible that Motorola sells all its phones to Verizon, who then sells them to other retailers in the US, as Palm and Sprint do. Remember that right now, this is much more a Verizon phone than a Motorola phone.
  • Reply 140 of 168
    Quote:

You're making more assumptions than anyone else. There have been number of 100,000 estimates. So far, neither Verizon or Motorola have challenged the 1000,000 numbers.

I remember the same arguments over the Pre sales the first weekend. Estimates were as high as 100,000, but it turned out to be max, 50,000.

It's also very possible that Motorola sells all its phones to Verizon, who then sells them to other retailers in the US, as Palm and Sprint do. Remember that right now, this is much more a Verizon phone than a Motorola phone.

As I've said, that "number of 100,000 estimates" you point to still all originate from Mark McKechnie at Broadpoint AmTech, Inc. The articles may be differently worded from each other, but the data still comes from a single point of origin. That's a fact. It's right in the second paragraph of the Bloomberg article you linked to.

My point wasn't to argue over the success of Droid (if that's how you want to take it, the so be it), just that Michael Cote made a very valid point and I am pretty much asking the same question he is. Does the 100,000 number take into account other ways of purchasing the Droid?

The only assumption I've made is that Best Buy and the other resellers have an independent line of stock than Verizon itself, thus allowing for more than 200,000 total Droid in stock. Which is just as fair as the assumption you're using that there were only 200,000 Droid period.