Smoking may void Applecare warranty

Comments

• Reply 161 of 331
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Agree 100 percent. I have opened up a couple of PC boxes that were owned by smokers and it was disgusting. I won't do it any longer as I don't want to have contact with that kind of filth. To think people actually put that in their lungs.

I do feel that if Apple is unwilling to repair the items, then Apple should refund the Apple Care purchase costs.

Why? These computers were contaminated by the user, not Apple. If you make your computer unserviceable by your actions then Apple is not responsible the pay for your actions.

KRR
  • Reply 162 of 331
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I really don?t see how it could be unclear that having that much tar and dust build up in a machine is Apple?s fault and responsibility under the warranty.

If the damage is caused by smoke buildup then I agree with you, but just because there is a problem with the computer and there is smoke buildup in the system does not necessarily mean that the part that has gone bad did so due to smoke buildup. Even if there is a large amount of smoke buildup in the computer there could be a part that fails due to a manufacturing defect after a year or two of use.

Now if this is a case of concern for the health of the employees working on a system that has been exposed to tobacco smoke then I would think that it would be reasonable for Apple should put up a disclaimer both in their warrantee and at their stores that states they have the right to refuse to work on a system exposed to tobacco smoke. Again the part that has failed may not have failed due to the exposure to smoke and if so it should be covered and repaired at their facility or the user should be offered another route for repair of the defective part at Apple's expense.
  • Reply 163 of 331
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

Why? These computers were contaminated by the user, not Apple. If you make your computer unserviceable by your actions then Apple is not responsible the pay for your actions.

KRR

There does seem to be some sort of psychological disjointing on this thread. People clearly stating that it?s the users fault but then going on to say that Apple should be held responsible for the users? actions. I find it all quite odd and a little disconcerting.
  • Reply 164 of 331
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How do we know that picture is a result of cigarettes? That could be from many things.

You're right, it's coated with denial.
  • Reply 165 of 331
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lokheed View Post

Not likely. They didn't ask whether the customer smoked. The damage from the tar was severe enough to warrant refusal. That means visible evidence was discovered.

If nicotine is on the list of health hazards, then Apple has a case. A proper reply to Apple's position is to discover whether the amount of nicotine found on the PC is sufficient enough to cause harm.

I understand that second hand smoke is a health hazard, but Apple's position on finding evidence of nicotine may be jumping the gun as trace amounts may not pose a risk of injury. Radiation is a health hazard, but all our devices output some amount of the stuff. Nicotine cannot be an "all or none" case.

This is not a case to blatantly refuse service, this is a case whether tar found from second hand smoke is sufficient to hurt a technician. I am sure there exist cases where the customer smokes but their PC was repaired. It seems likely that the PCs refused had large amounts of tar.

Nicotine is not thought to be a carcinogen (they wouldn't market Nicorette, etc if it were) - its the other nasty goodies in tobacco that are the problem (some of which become more of a problem when they are burned as in a cigarette, cigar or pipe).

That being said, I'm not certain that kind of residue in a computer would necessarily be a health hazard anymore than for a volunteer who picks up cigarette butts at the beach in an effort to clean up after cigarette smokers who have no regard for their fellow man and the environment.

Side note: if cigarette smokers want to limit further crackdowns on their smoking liberties (ie. banning smoking in more places), it'd help if you'd dispose of your cigarettes properly rather than flicking them out of your car window or putting them out with your heel on the sidewalk/street.
  • Reply 166 of 331
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

If the damage is caused by smoke buildup then I agree with you, but just because there is a problem with the computer and there is smoke buildup in the system does not necessarily mean that the part that has gone bad did so due to smoke buildup. Even if there is a large amount of smoke buildup in the computer there could be a part that fails due to a manufacturing defect after a year or two of use.

Quite right, but lack of maintenance, misuse and abuse of a machine trumps most manufacturer?s defects because it?s simply too hard to determine the cause if a machine is in such a state and no warranties for CE do not cover regular cleanings as part of the agreement, which would be required first and foremost before Apple could service most potential defects.

These idiots should have cleaned out their own machine before sending it in, but if they had the wherewithal to do that they likely wouldn?t have let this problem happen in the first place. I have a jailbroken iPhone, which means I?ve voided the warranty. If I have an issue that requires AppleCare I will wipe the system clean and use the standard OS install. Of course, one should do that anyway since you don?t want your personal data being shipped through the mail and sitting in some repair shop where anyone can access it.

Note that I said most defects. There are clear exceptions because the cause and effect relationship of one form of misuse or neglect cannot be attributed to the defective part. One example are batteries.
  • Reply 167 of 331
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's still something that should be avoided.

------------------------------

"Nicotine itself is not carcinogenic, according to the International Agency for Research on Cancer, but is implicated in heart disease."

(quoted from http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/c.../full/91/6/502 )

"Nicotine is not in itself carcinogenic, but has been shown to be co-carcinogenic

with benzo(a)pyrene [also found in tobacco smoke] in causing skin cancer in mice"

(quoted from http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/....020186.000321 )

In conclusion, while nicotine itself is not carcinogenic it is shown to be co-carcinogenic with other chemicals, including those found in cigarette smoke. Once a person has lung cancer, nicotine can interfere with body's natural ability (as well as the ability of cancer fighting drugs) to get rid of the cancer.

(See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7848904 )

http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi...nt/full/79/1/1

http://www.smoke-free.ca/SL/TSNAfactsheet.PDF

http://www.treatobacco.net/en/page_62.html

Also smoking makes it much much easier to catch, carry and transfer the H1N1 (aka swine flu) as it prevents the tiny hairs in your intake channels to catch the virus before it enters the body.

Good thing I don't smoke, but the first time I caught H1N1 was from a smoker who coughed quite a bit, as they have a much harder time getting over any virus than non-smokers. I was laid out for almost 2 months with the bug and thought I was going to die. At that time nobody knew what it was.

The second time I caught it again it was from a smoker, who coughed quite a bit while I gave him a ride to work last week. This time I was only laid out for a few days and just getting over it.

So the first time could waste you, the second time you might get by fine with a lot of cough and flu medicine.

I do recommend the shot. Especially for smokers.
  • Reply 168 of 331
    Let the Health Care Bill pay for the warranty of the machine.
  • Reply 169 of 331
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Throwing your laptop in a pool or running it over with your car is perfectly legal too. That, however, doesn't mean the warranty will cover the repairs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't smoke, but I find your attitude quite unbelievable. Last I checked, it is a perfectly legal activity.

• Reply 170 of 331
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

So did you already sell your car and bought a bike to go to work?!

I did one better: we work at home, but we DID sell our second car and bought two Segway PT's for local errands and for fun!! Twenty miles on a charge. One KW-hour per charge @ 15¢/KW-hr. We also bought an exercise bike. ;-)
  • Reply 171 of 331
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

oh boy. somebody's grumpy, eh? relax man! have a smoke!

sunday funnies

lolol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I have nothing but seething rage for people who smoke while walking down the street in front of me and people who absolutely reek of smoke then come into my business and expect me to stand there and hold back my gag reflex while they talk to me about their meaningless existence. If I needed to work on my gag reflex I'd deep throat cocks for a living.

Recreational substance use is supposed to be an occasional activity, not an every-third-fucking-minute-and-in-the-most-intrusive-dosage-form-possible-and-with-an-I'm-entitled-to-do-whatever-the-fuck-I-want-attitude activity.

I'd rate heroin users who use clean injecting equipment and dispose of it thoughtfully above people who smoke around others without consent any day.

There I said it.

I hate my self for agreeing with such a stupid post

But spot on I AGREE!

exact great nailed in your chest points that cut away the busllshit here

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

I fully agree with Apple here. Smoking kills more than 500,000 people every single year in the USA, more than 500,000 in Europe and more than 3 million worldwide every year. Besides the healthcare costs that could be used for other purposes and the of work hours lost. THIS IS OBSCENE.

Apple did NOT do this for smoking cessation reasons

Apple did this because someone SMOKED SO FUCKING MUCH THAT TAR BUILD UP ON THE'RE MACHINES . THOSE macs must have sat in smoke filled windowless rooms for years to look like that .

Quote:

They do. It’s right there in AppleCare coverage legalese and it’s quite clear though I would think common sense would make it obvious that abuse and neglect of your equipment is not covered.

A disclaimer for each in possible incident is silly. It’s clear the warranty is for defects caused by Apple or it’s partners and does not cover mental defects on the part of their users. If it did, then Teckstud wouldn’t even be allowed inside an Apple Store.

The amount of cigarette smoke that would cause such a thing to happen within a period of less than one to three years tells me that this person is a very heavy smoker and they use their computer in a small unventilated area. That isn’t Apple’s responsibility.[INDENT]• T]

VERY VERY HEAVY TEAM OF CHAIN SMOKERS BLOWING SMOKE RIGHT IN STEVES FACE

Quote:

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't”

<<binary >> ?? Please don't revive that decade tirade we had some days ago

you have found your wit again

congrads

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

TAKE AWAY all drugs (legal and illegal; from coffee to heroin, including also alcohol) and the humans will collapse. Why are humans so utterly STUPID is beyond my understanding!

And remember that it is not just you. It is also the environment, the cost to others (including the healthcare system) and last but not least, the cost to the future generations.

Because most of such shit (legal and illegal) will cause mutations not only to the somatic cells (read cancer for you and for others), but also to the germ cells (read diseases for future generations).

As said, this is amazing!

err dude GOOGLE ADDICTION and OBSESSIVE behavior and you will understand and learn things that take over a humans mind and body . And your <<Why are humans so utterly STUPID .... Will be no more .

Quote:

http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemical-sam...oc/chmn_W.html

Where?

Many water systems are killing humans , Chicago water pipes for one are made of copper or lead/zinc . So in many locations worldwide water pulled from your tap is listed as a possible poison.

7% OF ALL WATER salt free and drinkable

Only 18% of the 7% is potable . Permanent human pollution of once clean water is todays reality>>

Metals leeching from dumps street run offs and outright factory dumping into all our water systems for 70 yrs. is a fact of world wide life. We cannot even think to clean up . Metal poisoning by tiny amounts add up and accumulate in human and animals bodies over the years.We eat these fish and animals giving us a double/triple dose of minute trace metals

Our children get a Quad dose . Welcome to earth circa 2010 .

Apple going 100 percent green is lovely .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

I was thinking they should make it more explicit, especially when they're trying to push Applecare onto you at the store or through the phone. They don't really touch on that, we all know most people don't bother reading through the T&Cs. Apple store staff are usually quite good at clearing things up, and warranties are quite misunderstood.

Quote:

No it doesn't. That stuff is most certainly NOT from dust. That is some serious buildup and it doesn't look safe. At all. I wouldn't touch that thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Quit smoking. Not that big of a deal.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

I've also seen insect infestations inside PC towers. You have to draw the line somewhere.

this is quite common for bugs to live from the warmth of computers and eat the wires , see a cockroach emerge from a dell during a meeting with the head boss > caused me too jump up and state yet again

buy a mac

fired on the spot\\

he did buy macs

they did get infested also

if you have very clean rooms that are sprayed the only place left to hide is a computer

Thanks for sharing such a personal experience..........[/QUOTE]

thanks

i hope some=me one heeds my siren call to quit smoking

well see you guys later time to clean the kids and play some halo

Hey wheres teckstud buddy ??Sleeping late on a sunday ??
  • Reply 172 of 331
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Also smoking makes it much much easier to catch, carry and transfer the H1N1 (aka swine flu) as it prevents the tiny hairs in your intake channels to catch the virus before it enters the body.

Good thing I don't smoke, but the first time I caught H1N1 was from a smoker who coughed quite a bit, as they have a much harder time getting over any virus than non-smokers. I was laid out for almost 2 months with the bug and thought I was going to die. At that time nobody knew what it was.

The second time I caught it again it was from a smoker, who coughed quite a bit while I gave him a ride to work last week. This time I was only laid out for a few days and just getting over it.

So the first time could waste you, the second time you might get by fine with a lot of cough and flu medicine.

I do recommend the shot. Especially for smokers.

Wow! You caught it twice? I thought after having it once that you built up the antibodies or imunity for it?

If you can catch it more than once then doesn't that negate the shot?
  • Reply 173 of 331
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Wow! You caught it twice? I thought after having it once that you built up the antibodies or imunity for it?

If you can catch it more than once then doesn't that negate the shot?

year that rings true

A single cough

FROM A as a smoking flu infected MBP 15 in GLOSSY computer owner who only needed to switch to MATTE SCREEN to save the WHOLE WORLD from the GLARE eyesight blindness and the horrors of the flu death disease caused by smoking w/the flu glossy type of H1N1 killer smoking flu with glossy screens death machines who smoke and are glossy ,

ok
  • Reply 174 of 331
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

I'm a non smoker and always have been. But this story has to be a joke. Unless a computer has fire, smoke and water damage, how could cigarette smoking damage a computer beyond repair - OR - prevent employees from repairing the computer.

My advice to these 2 consumers: If you have a reasonable case, SUE! for breach of contract, breach of warranty, unreasonable conduct and discrimination based on lifestyle or handicap.

It not really about if it can be repaired, it's about whether Apple should repair it, for whatever reason.

Like this image of a neglected smoke filled computer, at a desk for a few years.

http://www.thecomputerwizard.biz/photos/smoke2a.jpg

I don't think that this should be about rights, or smoking, or choice. When I went in with my iPod and it had water damage from sweat, because I had taken it on my bike so many times, I actually understood their position. The clerk was nice about it, but water damage is water damage. Smoke damage is smoke damage. From Apples stance, damage is damage.

My parents used to smoke, but when they moved, they did it outside to not reduce the value of the home. Wonder why. Probably in this case, if they had bought the home from a company, and blamed the company for the reduced value, they could sue and be all pissed about it. But in this case, they had 100% responsibility for the condition and the market would make the final determination. So they choose to smoke outside to not reduce the value of their investment.

People would not have the same issue with this, say if the unit has been used in a coal mine, and brought in covered and clogged with black dust. Just about everyone here would have said the users knew what they were getting into.

So, Apple is just the messenger here. All of their warranties are based on normal and expected use. You over use, over damage, over drop, and yes, over abuse your device past the point of normal repair, you're out of luck. Why should apple have to clean up a mess that you created?
  • Reply 175 of 331
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Like this image of a neglected smoke filled computer, at a desk for a few years.

http://www.thecomputerwizard.biz/photos/smoke2a.jpg

rust up a mess that you created?

rust never sleeps
  • Reply 176 of 331
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

I smell a class action lawsuit in Texas!

Will that smell like mentholated or regularly disgusting cigarette smoke?

And yeah, this comment comes from someone who learned how to smoke in the military, then proceeded to smoke 3 to 4 packs a day in Vietnam. There were "down" times, when in the middle of some activity, I would forget that I had one burning already that I had set down, and proceed to light another.

I finally went cold turkey a few years later. Best decision I ever made, but some damage was already done. I'm quite sure it will catch up with me at some point if it hasn't already.

And yeah, the holiest person in the room is the reformed smoker. They have watched the puppet show and have seen the strings.

By the way. This one time... in Vietnam Band Camp....
  • Reply 177 of 331
    How do I clean the inside of my computer then ?! I don't smoke nor do I live in a smoking home, however, every once in a long while, I see a very thin layer of dust over my screen ... sometimes I keep wondering if that same dust is piling up within my laptop's components. I feel like I need to do my part to keep my computer clean inside and out, I don't want to face a similar situation where any potential repairs are refused for an overly dusty computer. I remember reading that my apple care will become void if I open the computer myself, no ? If not, does Apple offer a cleaning service for their laptops ?
  • Reply 178 of 331
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intense View Post

How do I clean the inside of my computer then ?! I don't smoke nor do I live in a smoking home, however, every once in a long while, I see a very thin layer of dust over my screen ... sometimes I keep wondering if that same dust is piling up within my laptop's components. I feel like I need to do my part to keep my computer clean inside and out, I don't want to face a similar situation where any potential repairs are refused for an overly dusty computer. I remember reading that my apple care will become void if I open the computer myself, no ? If not, does Apple offer a cleaning service for their laptops ?

I usually blow mine out gently with the compressor, and turn it upside down and give it a gentle shake. Sometimes I will eat or drink near my laptop. Never spilled, but would not want to be there when they open it up, probably a portion of a hamburger under the keyboard.

If I took it in and they said that they could not cleanup the hamburger, probably would not argue with them.

On the PC side, I blow out my machine every other month, so good point. The dust cloud is pretty impressive. I think the machine's other job is to filter the air. Will be asking my apple store folks how to clean out the machine without messing with the warranty.
  • Reply 179 of 331
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is truly mind-boggling, if true! Corporatism at its worst. Can't they wear some gloves and a mask?! Where are we heading next? Apple campus is going to be sealed off in an antiseptic bubble?

At the least, I hope Apple refunded their money.

They should always wear masks and gloves anyway. There are many allergens that are trapped in computers whether they are around smokers or not. Is pet dander not a problem for some? what about subtle mold residues or spores? I've opened up some ugly computer cases in my day and I would whole heartedly recommend gloves and a mask regardless of being in the presence of a smoker or not. This is silly BS. I've done work for OSHA and while Nicotine might be a "hazardous" material, none of OSHA's regulations say that you can't work with hazardous materials; they simply enforce proper training, safety and protection when doing so.

Apple we're are continually disappointed by your actions in recent years. Keep it up and we'll find another under dog to root for. Hope all of this BS is worth the extra .02% you report to your investors.
  • Reply 180 of 331
    [QUOTE=hiimamac;1524681]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I have nothing but seething rage for people who smoke while walking down the street in front of me and people who absolutely reek of smoke then come into my business and expect me to stand there and hold back my gag reflex while they talk to me about their meaningless existence. If I needed to work on my gag reflex I'd deep throat cocks for a living.

Recreational substance use is supposed to be an occasional activity, not an every-third-fucking-minute-and-in-the-most-intrusive-dosage-form-possible-and-with-an-I'm-entitled-to-do-whatever-the-fuck-I-want-attitude activity.

I'd rate heroin users who use clean injecting equipment and dispose of it thoughtfully above people who smoke around others without consent any day.

There I said it..

wow you're just really angry. You've been watching too much Clockwork Orange or did you just see the new Bronson flick? Seething rage; really? That's laughable, maybe get some Medical Marijuana strips then. You need'em. Individuals have rights and one of those is to do "whatever the F_-_- I want". I mean talking about violent oral sex etc. and comparing it to smoking/ smokers/ being around a smoker; really? You are a disgusting human being. You don't like the smoke move. You don't like your job; get another one. You don't like who you are talking to; don't talk to them. If anyone has a pathetic life it's you pal. It's your choice as it would be anyone else's.

take a downer, then some viagra, get laid and start enjoying something in life because you sound like a miserable angry drunk.