Microsoft, HP to introduce touchscreen tablet Wed. - report

Comments

• Reply 81 of 167
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Everyone get ready for about 20 minutes of comedy. I can't wait!
  • Reply 82 of 167
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Engadet is a site by morons, for morons.

As for the courier, well, ups is a legendary courier service.
  • Reply 83 of 167
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Additionally: It's almost a given that whatever Hp/MS releases later today will have a full-featured operating system rather than some potentially questionable amalgamation of desktop/mobile phone operating systems locked into some kind of draconian ecosystem. [/CENTER]

Will the full features include malware, viruses and trojans? I am not buying it if MS don't stand up to their fame and include these too.
  • Reply 84 of 167
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    I haven't used 7, but it's still Windows, and I'm not sold on your or anybody's experiences.

I need to be paid to use Microsoft products. I won't use them on my own anymore. Until my company upgrades its computers with 7, I'll be in the dark. But everything else I've used from that Redmond corporation has been crap. I have no basis to believe 7 will be different, contrary to the glowing reviews.
  • Reply 85 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Will the full features include malware, viruses and trojans? I am not buying it if MS don't stand up to their fame and include these too.

they better include blue screens in their courier, otherwise i'm positively not buying one...
  • Reply 86 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It's easy to spot people who've never used Windows 7. Windows 7 may be Windows, but I've gone months using it as the only operating system on one of my computers and its needed less maintaining than my iMac in that period.

Speak for yourself, Win7 is a win for windows. Any tablet device would be lucky to have it. As long as its NOT Starter, because Starter is NOT windows7, at ALL.

You ignore the fact that beyond malware and instability, one of the major things people have against Windows is the UI, as well as the command structure. It's nearly impossible to find what you're looking for, unless you've been taught or read it in a manual. It's unintuitive and counterproductive.

Windows 7 doesn't fix that. You still don't know whether that network information you need in order to configure your router can be found in the network control panel, the "show properties" for the driver or for the network card, of maybe in... I don't know... "International"? Windows is just stupid unless all you do is run programs. Press "Start" to shut down... clever... and yes it's an old joke, but it's never been fixed, has it?
  • Reply 87 of 167
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

No WinCE. The MS multitouch SDK has been out for a little while now and enabling WPF applications for multitouch is easier than one might think. It's rather cool. It'll run Win7 and be fairly slick is my expectation.

I hope for MS's sake that if Ballmer is going to demo this product that it's truly exciting and innovative.

If not then he only damages his credibility.
  • Reply 88 of 167
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I hope for MS's sake that if Ballmer is going to demo this product that it's truly exciting and innovative.

If not then he only damages his credibility.

You're kidding right? Yes, THIS will be what damages his credibility.
  • Reply 89 of 167
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

I know a lot of it is just to do with bad taste, but why do the Windows aficionados have little or no regard for the English language? And why do they post with centred text - to be clever? And why do they have to be rude and insulting?

All symptomatic of the product and its low status. Ballmer sets the tone and they all follow blindly.

[CENTER]Seriously...

YOU actually have the audacity to post this nonsense given the persistent obtuse attitudes expressed by the vast majority of Apple fans in this forum?

Any opinion not completely enamored with all things Cupertino are treated with extreme hostility in here, yet you accuse others of being rude simply because they use centered text'?

Hilarious!

As an Apple user of some 3 decades, I truly miss the time when we were encouraged to Think Different, because now it appears that too many Apple supporters simply fall in line blindly.

As far as this Hp/MS rumor goes, I'm getting the impression that you (and your like) are simply afraid that the device will be the Courier as previously shown in theoretical form, and that's something that you appear to fear.

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 90 of 167
    This would be the first time they beat Apple at anything, so they better not screw it up. I'm sure they will, though. Apple is not just going to introduce a tablet computer, it's going to be something above and beyond what anybody is expecting -- that's what they do. Rots-a-Ruck Microsoft!
  • Reply 91 of 167
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The MacBook Pros are the best engineered and constructed laptops in the entire industry, without a doubt. The original slim, metallic, widescreen form factor was conceived with the Titanium PowerBook G4, and has been steadily improved upon. Why change a product that has gotten it right?

Change for the sake of change is stupid. But it sounds like that's exactly what you're advocating.

Yes! Of course! I want the stupid course navigated! It must be stupid or I'm not for it! You're brilliant, naturally, it's just remarkable how the fog of negative discourse simply dissipates when you walk into a room. All hail!

Dude, stop putting words in people's mouths, it's highly unsanitary. I never mentioned the engineering or construction, I only noted this worn aluminum look is 8 years old now & I'm bored with it. Yawn. I know a bunch of guys and gals who are sick and tired of it as well. We'd all like to buy a new Apple laptop but how would anyone know?

What's stupid is when I buy a laptop every 24-26 months, and each one I buy looks exactly like the last one I bought. Good grief. Throw a change up every once and awhile.

I even bought one of those black MacBooks, not because it was the best laptop for me but simply because it was the first different looking one in almost a damned decade. Something different, thank heavens.

Is this the only fabulous design that can possibly exist then? How about something new, something different? Why does Apple get a free ride when they rest on their laurels?

They need to get up off their complacent fannies and design something new.
  • Reply 92 of 167
    or does that Lennovo look like a poorly designed giant Iphone... hmmm, I can't find any comparison between that tablet and an apple product.....
  • Reply 93 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Yes! Of course! I want the stupid course navigated! It must be stupid or I'm not for it! You're brilliant, naturally, it's just remarkable how the fog of negative discourse simply dissipates when you walk into a room. All hail!

Dude, stop putting words in people's mouths, it's highly unsanitary. I never mentioned the engineering or construction, I only noted this worn aluminum look is 8 years old now & I'm bored with it. Yawn. I know a bunch of guys and gals who are sick and tired of it as well. We'd all like to buy a new Apple laptop but how would anyone know?

What's stupid is when I buy a laptop every 24-26 months, and each one I buy looks exactly like the last one I bought. Good grief. Throw a change up every once and awhile.

I even bought one of those black MacBooks, not because it was the best laptop for me but simply because it was the first different looking one in almost a damned decade. Something different, thank heavens.

Is this the only fabulous design that can possibly exist then? How about something new, something different? Why does Apple get a free ride when they rest on their laurels?

They need to get up off their complacent fannies and design something new.

Sounds like great reasons to choose a computer! Lol.

Don't buy a new laptop to look cool. Buy an Italian shirt and get a haircut. Buy a new case for your laptop if you insist. I've got 15 cases for my iPod Touch. I don't need a new color to show my sense of style and my mood. I just swap the case.

I have a brown leatherette wraparound case with an embroidered cityscape for my MacBook Pro. It looks nice and it doesn't look like everyone else's MacBook Pro. If I get bored with the look I'll get a new case. Yeah, the Macbook Pro looks fantastic without it, but the case provides protection and also gives me a chance to be fashionable, without requiring Apple to bring out new colors (which might be ugly) or a new form-factor (which might not be as functional). I don't want Apple to mess with success.

I don't want new fashion in a computer. I simply want the best looking yet functional design possible.
  • Reply 94 of 167
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

... Guess what, you know that MS gewgaw ... even though it was a concept video if it has the features made in that video well at least we know what its capable of, the only thing you know about Apples Mythical Tablet is they own islate... great logic there champ. ...

This is the second time you've implied that Apple's tablet is more vapourware than Microsoft's Courier, and you're just completely wrong about that.

Vapourware, is a "fake" product. A possible future product that a company *could* make but hasn't actually made. The whole point of it, it to announce that you have a product early (sometimes years early), when you actually don't have said product, so as to stifle the competition.

Apple never "pre-announces" anything in that way. Microsoft does this with almost every product they release (and many that they don't).

The tablet is not vapourware simply because we know virtually nothing about it except that it's a real product. Even if, (defying all logic), it turns out that the tablet is *not* produced on stage on January 27th, or that it never existed in the first place, it's still not "vapourware" because they never announced it. The rumours were wrong if that's the case, but unless you can find Apple executives fingerprints on the rumours themselves (you won't be able to), you can't link anything to Apple.

The Courier on the other hand, is *classic* vapourware. All we've seen is a concept video. The kind of video that is not only easily faked, but already assumed to be so, in that it presents a "what if this device were real" kind of scenario. It's an understood thing that such concept videos might "fake" some of the device interaction and UI because it isn't actually developed yet. That's kind of the whole point of a concept video.

The tablet is a real product, but one that we just know nothing about yet. The Courier is a *possible* (fake) product that may or may not exist, that we are being "sold" on. Big difference.
  • Reply 95 of 167
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

You ignore the fact that beyond malware and instability, one of the major things people have against Windows is the UI, as well as the command structure. It's nearly impossible to find what you're looking for, unless you've been taught or read it in a manual. It's unintuitive and counterproductive.

Windows 7 doesn't fix that. You still don't know whether that network information you need in order to configure your router can be found in the network control panel, the "show properties" for the driver or for the network card, of maybe in... I don't know... "International"? Windows is just stupid unless all you do is run programs. Press "Start" to shut down... clever... and yes it's an old joke, but it's never been fixed, has it?

Shutdown is under the Windows logo button (use to be the start button) on Windows 7... Makes sense (just like shutdown is under the Apple logo button).

Did it make sense for Apple to put their shutdown command under the "special menu"???

Windows 7 UI has improved to nearly Mac OS X levels...
  • Reply 96 of 167
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Ronbo, Addabox +1

Doesn't matter how vaporiciously cool Microsoft, HP, or any other makers say their devices are. \ It should be pointed out that Apple's "Touch OS" has an established app market and developer forum that is both large and successful.

As long as those other devices can only play videos, listen to music, they're just bigger 1st generation iPod Touchs'... and real bad ones at that. The iSlate will succeed on the backs of fantastic applications that will see new and unique expansions due to the added real estate on the device screen sizes, sensors, and hardware upgrades. We are looking at the future of how computers will be in the long run. And you know what, the WinOS will be far behind what Apple will do again to the future line of Macintosh.
  • Reply 97 of 167
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:

I don't want Apple to mess with success.

Whew! Good thing they weren't listening to you back when they released the PowerBook 140.
  • Reply 98 of 167
    Quote:

BREAKING NEWS STORY!!!

Apple fanatics switch from Delusionberry Kool-Aid to Lemon Haterade

More at 11...

Seriously you guys are just ridiculous. If the Courier makes its appearance i expect a sock in everyones mouth. Apple's Tablet is even more vaporware than MS Courier (but i guess since everyone and their grandma talks about it...it MUST BE REAL?!!)

To put it like this, if they show off a physical Courier that did exactly what that video showcased awhile back and comes with a decent price tag...well this Magical Unicorn Tablet had better blow the doors off, cause i was definitely wowed by the Courier, so much in fact that i would sell my Hackintosh for one if it truly comes out this year.

Quote:

Wow your an idiot, did you seriously try to make a jab at me for owning a hackintosh and doing it myself? You sir are the one in a mental state, and your not funny to boot so fail on both accounts.

Guess what, you know that MS gewgaw (wtf is that, Apple baby talk?) even though it was a concept video if it has the features made in that video well atleast we know what its capable of, the only thing you know about Apples Mythical Tablet is they own islate...great logic there champ.

Now, why would Windows Mobile be brought into this discussion when Microsoft has tablet software based off *gasp* WINDOWS...in this case that would be Windows 7.

stockholm syndrome much?

"Apple's Tablet is even more vaporware than MS Courier"
    ....since when does apple send out press releases about products not announced? Yea we ALL saw the demo video of the RUMORED apple tablet.

You do not know the difference between vaporware and rumors.....

If the Courier makes its appearance...I mean you can not even decide if this will ever be released, but still lay out some hope with your captivated stockholm syndrone that you have received from the past failed MS vaporware...

I think everyone is a little tired of your juvenile attacks, with your ad hominem attacks for pointing out the regular modus operandi of M$

And you accuse others of rapid fanboyism? You are battered housewife of MS who constantly defends the abuser and attacks others who try to point out that you are being abused...LOL..
  • Reply 99 of 167
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

I would love to read an eBook on it, where you can have pages side-by-side just like a real book.

Or alternatively... just show BOTH the pages on one larger screen.

I would love to browse the internet on it where you can have two browser windows on the two halves of the screen, or where you could have one window on one half and another application (or applications) or the file browser on the other half.

For watching a movie you can simply watch on one half, in landscape.

And have a blank space (Not showing the movie) on the other screen

My responses in bold.

Everything you like about having 2 screens can simply be done by having 1 larger screen.

The one single advantage is that you can fold it.
  • Reply 100 of 167
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I want all you windows fanboys to quote my reply later on, will Ballmer have a job after this courier fiasco comes to pass, and Apple will create a whole new industry and usher in technology that has not existed.

The entire tech industry will all flock and copy paste the apple tablet in an effort to be a me too product, just like what is happening with the iPhone wannabees. So where will Ballmer be after the failure of courier? who knows, he may still be head of the company, I guess he is the only thing MS has that is close to true leadership.