Taiwanese paper claims Apple will refresh entire MacBook line soon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 175
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

PC makers are cheap. They will never use anything but the lowest cost material.

Pure balderdash. There are plenty of high end windows machines that use premium materials.

If you disagree, let me know, and I'll supply some links.
  • Reply 22 of 175
    macologistmacologist Posts: 264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

There is always eBay, just mention when you bought it and you heard about the new ones so you decided to switch. Nothing wrong with the machine, just wrong timing. Of course is the issue of transferring the warranty/AppleCare, get that resolved and I'm sure it will go fast.

What I do hope Apple will do is address the high reflection, perhaps not with a dull looking matte screen, but a form of glass that has anti-reflective properties integrated in the surface of the glass itself.

The trademark name is "museum glass" and it's used in fine art where reflections obstruct the view and colors of the actual art. Art galleries carry it.

Once you've seen the difference between museum glass and ordinary glass, you'll be amazed in it's clarity of objects behind it.

Sounds great, except it would do away with a visual distinction between glossy and matte screens, i.e. the glass going almost to the edge vs. the wide aluminum frame..., right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

PC makers are cheap. They will never use anything but the lowest cost material.

The display makers are just as cheap and will sell the worst quality they can get away with. Only when a big player like Apple demands IPS LCDs do you see anything but TN or the lowest cost vertical alignment screens on the market. The high quality display business is a tiny niche with exorbitant prices.

I cannot see any display maker ever including a special anti-reflective glass without someone like Apple pressing for it and even then it'll come at a hefty price premium.

Apple customers are prepared to pay more to get a better product so cost cannot be the only reason why Apple doesn't use Museum Glass or a competitive solution. My guess is that anti-reflective glass contains some of the harmful chemicals that Apple has fought to eliminate from their machines.

I guess we'll know soon

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Most of their products are cheap, but they do sell premium, prosumer, and professional products, too and always looking for a marketing scheme to put one over on Apple, like using carbon fiber even though the ones I've used were either a weak type and/or too thin to offer the same rigidity as an aluminium case.

If price in an issue, that would be a con but I've seen nothing comparing relative costs between glass.

$50-75-100 extra premium for matte screen -- I think people would pay it, but of course I'd prefer $50, or better yet, zero!

That 640GB better be 7200 RPM!!! If 500GB SSD HD comes down to $500, I'd buy in a flash, pun intended... I also wonder if USB 3 will be part of that, and if yes, I hope it doesn't mean instead of FW800
  • Reply 23 of 175
    biyibotbiyibot Posts: 7member
    i3, i5 and i7 processors was out and Apple is still using core duo's, don't you think Apple is too late. 24 inch displays are around $400 AUD mark but Apple display which is an old technology is $1,250 on the AU Apple Store.
  • Reply 24 of 175
    beeman60beeman60 Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Pure balderdash. There are plenty of high end windows machines that use premium materials.

If you disagree, let me know, and I'll supply some links.

Even if a windows pc chassis were made from pure platinum, I wouldn't buy it. Using Windows makes my eyeballs bleed. OS/X rocks....
  • Reply 25 of 175
    biyibotbiyibot Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Mac mini too?

Mac mini with a better home entertainment software like Plex, built in TV tuner etc.
  • Reply 26 of 175
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeman60 View Post

Even if a windows pc chassis were made from pure platinum, I wouldn't buy it. Using Windows makes my eyeballs bleed. OS/X rocks....

I have all the software I need in my Windows 7. Most of it doesn't work in OSX. And I also love to play the latest games, too...

I do have a MacBook, and iPhone 3GS and iPad Touch, but I'm keeping my feet on the ground here. OSX has its uses.

• Reply 27 of 175
    stevejrstevejr Posts: 11member
    how does this fit in to their usual refresh timetable for macbooks?
  • Reply 28 of 175
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

$50-75-100 extra premium for matte screen -- I think people would pay it, but of course I'd prefer $50, or better yet, zero!

That 640GB better be 7200 RPM!!! If 500GB SSD HD comes down to $500, I'd buy in a flash, pun intended... I also wonder if USB 3 will be part of that, and if yes, I hope it doesn't mean instead of FW800

You can get the matte display on the 15" and 17" MBPs.

I think those 7200RPM drives are well worn enough to warrant the inclusion. I hope the revamp their SSD line to include a couple different options as they each have different characteristics. I hope Intel is one of them. This also means I expect them to have resolved the wonky SATA controller issue and upgraded it to 6Gbps to truly accommodate the SSD potential.

I don't think USB3.0 would remove FW800 since it's backwards compatible to previous USB.

I'd also like the audio (and USB data) turned on in DisplayPort, the optical drive gone, a GPS chip added to all Macs (with OS ties, APIs and FindMyMac for MM), and an option for 3G. (Note: these are wants, not necessarily what I expect will arrive).
  • Reply 29 of 175
    Quote:

I hope it's more than a Intel issue. They likely would have been able to inform Apple of what production delays would look like and hopefully Apple is prepping for a major overhaul of the MBP line.

You just tipped your hand. Your previous alias was MacTripper. Again, what the pros -AND- cons of Museum Glass? Why aren't other PC vendors using it? If they are, which ones?

Even if this is so and he is who you state he is, how does that degrade the observation?

I fail to see the connection.

If there is a solution and Apple has yet to think of it, how is attacking him in a matter of fact vein going to address the fact Apple has not been as attentive as they should.

It is a case of the emperor's new clothes.

Apple is a cadre of engineers, graphic and industrial designers, and business people.

Sometimes it takes someone you would consider less qualified to state the obvious.

Zealotry is not a flattering way to be regarded.....
  • Reply 30 of 175
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Sounds great, except it would do away with a visual distinction between glossy and matte screens, i.e. the glass going almost to the edge vs. the wide aluminum frame..., right?

Yes there wouldn't need the need for the mismatched frame bezel.

It's because the huge outcry for losing the anti-reflectiveness is why Apple made the mismatched bezel in the first place, it's all they could do mid-product cycle.

Hopefully this next issue there will be a more permanent solution to the reflection problem and still have the clearer image the glass provides.

Kind of dumb paying premium prices for a laptop that one can barely use in airplane, or outside or in brightly lit locations. It's not like we are touching it or anything.

guess I should post this link for the online petition

http://macmatte.wordpress.com/
  • Reply 31 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I hope this rumor is true. I could use a 640Gb hard disk in the laptop. It would be nice if they make 4Gb RAM standard on the Macbook Pros too. These could have been delayed by 10.6.3 release too.

2.5" drives have now moved to terabyte capacity. Western Digital makes one in that capacity that will fit in my PS3.

I find the speculation the drives are going to 640 GB an insult.

I guess this means I will have to purchase my next mac WITHOUT the apple care plan...
  • Reply 32 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biyibot View Post

Mac mini with a better home entertainment software like Plex, built in TV tuner etc.

Mac Mini with an HDMI port. I can do the rest.
  • Reply 33 of 175
    Quote:

You can get the matte display on the 15" and 17" MBPs.

I think those 7200RPM drives are well worn enough to warrant the inclusion. I hope the revamp their SSD line to include a couple different options as they each have different characteristics. I hope Intel is one of them. This also means I expect them to have resolved the wonky SATA controller issue and upgraded it to 6Gbps to truly accommodate the SSD potential.

I don't think USB3.0 would remove FW800 since it's backwards compatible to previous USB.

I'd also like the audio (and USB data) turned on in DisplayPort, the optical drive gone, a GPS chip added to all Macs (with OS ties, APIs and FindMyMac for MM), and an option for 3G. (Note: these are wants, not necessarily what I expect will arrive).

I would like the GPS chip only if I have the option to TRULY turn it off.

There is already a pre-bios maintenance chip in the intel architecture of all intel based machines. That is big brother enough for me.

I agree with the display port. As it stands it's still just DVi to me until they enable the additional features.

I've mentioned the HDD issue. It bothers me that larger capacity drives are available in the format, and they are not utilizing it. Some people use their laptop as their ONLY machine. I am not one of them, but for those that do, additional storage is a must. And no one wants to HAVE to carry an external drive with them if they can avoid it.
  • Reply 34 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

2.5" drives have now moved to terabyte capacity. Western Digital makes one in that capacity that will fit in my PS3.

I find the speculation the drives are gong to 640 GB an insult.

I guess this means I will have to purchase my next mac WITHOUT the apple care plan...

Apple won't put the drive in the machine that you want neither, only what they sell.

Found this out the hard way.
  • Reply 35 of 175
    Quote:

Apple won't put the drive in the machine that you want neither, only what they sell.

Found this out the hard way.

Figures. I think I can get one installed at a certified repair place without violating the apple care though. I will have to look into this.

If not, no apple care plan and installing my own drive is the only solution.
  • Reply 36 of 175
    Quote:

Even if this is so and he is who you state he is, how does that degrade the observation?

I fail to see the connection.

Because you failed to comprehend what was written. I never stated that his position to use Museum Glass was incorrect I just asked him to give some evidence that it would be a good fit for Apple and reasoning as to why it might not be used right now. I've asked this since he first mentioned it and yet I've gotten no answer except basically, that its most awesomeness thing ever and Apple is a poopiehead for not using it. You'd think with such a strong, longtime endorsement that there would be some reasoning for using it other than "no glare" with is simply a single single, shortsighted advantage that has failed to look at potential disadvantages.
  • Reply 37 of 175
    Quote:

I would like the GPS chip only if I have the option to TRULY turn it off.

There is already a pre-bios maintenance chip in the intel architecture of all intel based machines. That is big brother enough for me.

I'd like to see the GPS as a optional recessed card.

This way everyone doesn't have to pay for something they won't need.

And please dear lord jobs, make the hard drives easily removable! Put a sticker or glue or paint the screws, anything to enforce the warranty.

Make it fast so a Apple Store employee can verify it hasn't been tampered with removable in mere seconds, before a laptop goes off for service.

I want to be able to walk out of a Apple Store with my data with me, not in unknown hands.
  • Reply 38 of 175
    Quote:

Figures. I think I can get one installed at a certified repair place without violating the apple care though. I will have to look into this.

If not, no apple care plan and installing my own drive is the only solution.

Yea, I tried that too, no go.

Wound up waiting for AppleCare to expire and replacing it myself.
  • Reply 39 of 175
    Quote:

I've mentioned the HDD issue. It bothers me that larger capacity drives are available in the format, and they are not utilizing it.

640GB is the LARGEST capacity drive for a 9.5mm HDD, the typical in modern notebooks. The 1TB 2.5" HDD I see on the market is 12.5mm. Why you'd expect Apple to reverse their entire platform just to go to a 12.5mm HDD?

edit: That is the WD drive. Toshiba has announced a 1TB 2.5" HDD at 9.5mm that went on sale in Japan on March 25th and slated to go worldwide soon after, but I can't find anyone carrying them.

Quote:

Installing your own HDD does not void the Apple warranty.
  • Reply 40 of 175
    Quote:

Yea, I tried that too, no go.

Wound up waiting for AppleCare to expire and replacing it myself.

Well....that destroys the possibility of placing a 2 terabyte drive in my iMac before giving it to my mother.