Taiwanese paper claims Apple will refresh entire MacBook line soon

Comments

• Reply 101 of 175
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

The fact is, you were wrong in your assumptions about AppleCare and about not being able to replace the hard drive without violating the warranty, which you stated in several different posts. Sorry if my language was too strong.

He's one of those posters that attack everyone but when you call them out they say it's all your fault for being a meanie. His posting style is just like another troll here but I can't recall the name. I wonder if they are same person.
  • Reply 102 of 175
    hlfnlsnhlfnlsn Posts: 34member
    Noticed a lot of negative remarks regarding Seagate drives and wondering what is wrong with them? I have used many seagate drives over the years and have never had anything but success with them.
  • Reply 103 of 175
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

You really should do some research before spouting nonsense. Apple's policy is that you can replace the hard drive and still be under AppleCare, as long as you don't break anything.

And that's not quite true because one breaks seals when opening up certain Apple devices.

I've had Apple refuse to service a device under warranty because I disturbed some torx screws that were colored with blue dye. I wanted to see the guts.

Also because a lot of their devices require certain technical training to disassemble/reassemble makes that rather difficult to accomplish without breaking something.

MacPro and certain laptops that the hard drive can be accessed through the battery bay easily without disturbing torx screws is usually the limit.
  • Reply 104 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

Noticed a lot of negative remarks regarding Seagate drives and wondering what is wrong with them? I have used many seagate drives over the years and have never had anything but success with them.

At best, these are anecdotal experiences from people that mostly used Seagate drives and/or just got unlucky. According to a very large, in-depth analysis Google did several years (since they use a tremendous number of drives) the found no real issue, as I recall, between any one drive manufacturer and that if a drive is going to be faulty you'll know about it sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 105 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

I personally asked apple, their tech support, and all associated reps if my replacing the hard drive would void my warranty and was told it not only would but also that my only option for upgrading the drive was (over) paying them to install an apple approved drive, which at that time still only capped out to a terabyte.

If Apple replaces the hard drive it shouldn't violate your warranty, this has been my experience.

If you do it outside of Apple for devices that requires technical level (ie torx screws and beyond) then of course it does, this has been my impression.

User level swaps, like in the Mac mini, some laptops with battery bays and access to the drive that way, and the Mac Pro, are perfectly fine.
  • Reply 106 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

At best, these are anecdotal experiences from people that mostly used Seagate drives and/or just got unlucky. According to a very large, in-depth analysis Google did several years (since they use a tremendous number of drives) the found no real issue, as I recall, between any one drive manufacturer and that if a drive is going to be faulty you'll know about it sooner rather than later.

Misinformation, read the release

Google didn't release the drive maker or model

Didn't want to be sued obviously.

It's common knowledge that Seagate drives are just above Maxor in quality, going by the return rate given anonymously, although the russians posted a chart once, it's gone now..

Then Seagate bought Maxor, like two bottom fish mating

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10558135/

Pretty easy to do stuff via the web.

Of course in person trying to impersonate someone from Apple interested in anti-reflective glass with absolutely no technical experience in such things is a different story, isn't it?
  • Reply 107 of 175
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Oh my god. He actually read the research material rather than spouting off at how it doesn't exist.

It doesn't replace the fact he has apparently for years looked like an idiot due to not taking 5 seconds to do the research, but hey, its progress. I'll take what I can get.....

you really should stop attacking people, especially people who have been in this forum for long time and have more credible with us, then you.

Solipsism on most occasions is very good at doing his homework with concern to research and providing factual opinion in his replies and ever though I may not agree with his remarks, I found them to well put together and thought provoking.

It is easy to attack, but much harder to use your god given brain (if you believe in evolution, your evolved brain) to provide thought provoking comments that will initiate good forum discussion with us all.
  • Reply 108 of 175
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

About a year ago, Seagate seemed to have had a particularly bad run of 7200.11 drives in 750GB, 1TB and maybe 1.5TB capacities. Reportedly an unexpectedly high fraction of these drives would suddenly become unresponsive. Seagate provided firmware updates, but the situation took a long time to resolve and was very confusing and scary to customers. The particular firmware update needed--which the customer had to install--depended on both the model number and the serial number. For a long while it seemed, customers could only contact Seagate via e-mail to obtain the new firmware (and get it installed before their drive failed). Some people were apparently posting their firmware for others to download, not recognizing that the same firmware mightn't be appropriate for everyone else's drives. Eventually, Seagate set up a website where customers could enter their specific model number and serial number to obtain the appropriate download link.
  • Reply 109 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

you really should stop attacking people, especially people who have been in this forum for long time and have more credible with us, then you.

Solipsism on most occasions is very good at doing his homework with concern to research and providing factual opinion in his replies and ever though I may not agree with his remarks, I found them to well put together and thought provoking.

It is easy to attack, but much harder to use your god given brain (if you believe in evolution, your evolved brain) to provide thought provoking comments that will initiate good forum discussion with us all.

Review the thread, it's all there.
  • Reply 110 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

It's common knowledge that Seagate drives are just above Maxor in quality, going by the return rate.

Of course in person trying to impersonate someone from Apple interested in anti-reflective glass with absolutely no technical experience in such things is a different story, isn't it?

I have searched post after post by solipsism and it always seems to follow the same trend:

He picks someone he doesn't like, attacks them, gets others to gang up on them and then (as he stated in a previous post) feels its okay due to having everyone else joining him in his bashing.

He then labels said person a troll and gains more followers due to the negative connotation that obviously holds.

Ironically, he is more often than not wrong, which has been shown here and in my post regarding museum glass. His post shows he had no knowledge of the product and had no desire to bother himself to even search for it. Also, it didn't help his case of being able to gang up on someone if he could obviously be easily proven wrong.

Apparently solidarity is the only reason he has not been banned for this behavior, but that is no surprise. The world has devolved to high school, so why should it be any different here?

Anecdotally, I was quite infamous in high school, though I should not have been, but that is another story for later. I suspect he was not.

He then, when realizing he could be wrong, gathers as much information as he can google on the subject, after drawing it out as long as he can, places the person he has labeled "troll" on his ignore list, and then proceeds to respond as though he has always known of this and as though the other party that actually informed him of this was not there (in essence, in his little bubble they are not, being in his ignore list.)

I don't care how long he has been here or how many posts he has, a bully is a bully and I call them as I see them.
  • Reply 111 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

See my response to SpotOn......
  • Reply 112 of 175
    Quote:

I have searched post after post by solipsism and it always seems to follow the same trend:

He picks someone he doesn't like, attacks them, gets others to gang up on them and then (as he stated in a previous post) feels its okay due to having everyone else joining him in his bashing.

He then labels said person a troll and gains more followers due to the negative connotation that obviously holds.

I don't care how long he has been here or how many posts he has, a bully is a bully and I call them as I see them.

Yep, that about sums it up.

It was ok when Teckturd was around, he was a notorious troll and solipsism and company had someone to pick on as he was very disruptive.

But Ireland made this poll about users with different nicks trolling the boards and the mods decided to crack down.

I came up because earlier I was mistaken for one of Teckturds aliases by solipsism in his witch hunt and trolled heavily by his group.

I quit MacTripper and became Woohoo! which AI accidentally perma-banned me cause I posted a ad link by mistake.

I signed back up as SpotOn and immediately apologized, which I have been since, all the same IP, nothing to hide.

AI admitted it was their mistake for perma banning and offered me Woohoo! again later in the cleaning up of alternate nicks, which I declined, as all my recent posts were SpotOn.

I've only received two minor infractions since I've been here, responding to solipsism's troll bait.

Depending what mod returns, will depend if I get any more for this thread.

I said the truth and I'm glad someone else see's what I see, that without a common enemy to pick on he goes on a witch hunt looking for one, attacking people like you say.

It's all been obvious to me from the very beginning, but without moderators on full time, it's hard to read everything, why the spam exists for some time, why the bullies reign, why the trolls find a place here.

I don't dislike slops, I got him to laugh one time. It's just he's such a skitzo attack dog sometimes, he likes you and then he bites you.
  • Reply 113 of 175
    Quote:

Yep, that about sums it up.

It was ok when Teckturd was around, he was a notorious troll and solipsism and company had someone to pick on as he was very disruptive.

But Ireland made this poll about users with different nicks trolling the boards and the mods decided to crack down.

I came up because earlier I was mistaken for one of Teckturds aliases by solipsism in his witch hunt and trolled heavily by his group.

I quit MacTripper and became Woohoo! which AI accidentally perma-banned me cause I posted a ad link by mistake.

I signed back up as SpotOn and immediately apologized, which I have been since, all the same IP, nothing to hide.

AI admitted it was their mistake for perma banning and offered me Woohoo! again later in the cleaning up of alternate nicks, which I declined, as all my recent posts were SpotOn.

I've only received two minor infractions since I've been here, responding to solipsism's troll bait.

Depending what mod returns, will depend if I get any more for this thread.

I said the truth and I'm glad someone else see's what I see, that without a common enemy to pick on he goes on a witch hunt looking for one, attacking people like you say.

It's all been obvious to me from the very beginning, but without moderators on full time, it's hard to read everything, why the spam exists for some time, why the bullies reign, why the trolls find a place here.

I don't dislike slops, I got him to laugh one time. It's just he's such a skitzo attack dog sometimes, he likes you and then he bites you.

My wife's family had a german shepherd similar to that once ( I always thought that was a little disturbing as they are Polish)

His name was Togo.

He bit her friend, then bit her father (the actual hand that fed him) and was finally put down.

That type of erratic behavior isn't tolerated in normal society.....

That having been said, I will ultimately stand by my observation. I have done nothing ban worthy and would immediately point a mod at this thread, or, to be honest, nearly any other thread he's posted in, to highlight the trend.

I come here to get information, not relive middle school.

Considering I utilize the forums to get another view of the articles posted, it has become tiring wading through his constant attacks in order to get any usable and factual information or view points.
  • Reply 114 of 175
    Quote:

Considering I utilize the forums to get another view of the articles posted, it has become tiring wading through his constant attacks in order to get any usable and factual information or view points.

Yep me too, it's just some generals want to keep the war going...

I just want to be a happy poster and make people laugh, not get involved with these gutter games.

Good night. Got to go.

• Reply 115 of 175
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dien0011 View Post

I know someone who is a head buyer for laptops at Best Buy. They entire line is being refreshed this month with new processors.

Apple has to refresh. I consider myself to be an apple fan but some of my extreme apple friends are talking about dumping the mbp getting an ipad for the road and a stronger iMac for home. Although I NEED the express slot for high end quip fx that take a load off the CPU. Can't get that on the iMac. Probably the reason there is noncamera for chatting and other similar things.

Apple is indeed on a role. About to change computing if you ask me. Will be interesting to see the google laptops if it ever happens.
  • Reply 116 of 175
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Either way, it was foolish then and it's foolish now to suggest that Apple is foolish for not using Museum Glass®.

Soli, you make some good points here, as per usual. However, it has to be pointed out that since apple decided to use glass pretty much across the board and set themselves up with a reflection/glare issue, they might not be foolish for not using Museum Glass, but they certainly are overdue in finding a solution to the problem they set up for themselves.

It's evident for example that the 27" imac is one of the most beautifully designed and implemented personal computers in the market, but it's also evident that there's a usability issue for a large percentage of the population that is related to the glass display. Repeating the museum glass argument ad nauseam isn't going to make it go away of course, and it's grating (and maybe there's an ulterior motive for some people mentioning it), I 'll give you that, but apple has given ample impetus for this I am sorry to say.

I can never suggest an imac to so many people that would want to switch, unless they are young and with a good eyesight or they have perfectly controlled lighting conditions where they set up their mac. And I can't suggest a 13" macbook pro either. This is a real shame, and one way or the other it has to be addressed by apple eventually.

Like I said, if they categorise this issue as on par with a demand for flash for the idevices, or for a blu ray drive, then they are seriously misguided and they are alienating a lot of loyal customers. If on the other hand they are actively involved in finding an anti reflective coating solution that is viable for production I am waiting eagerly to see the fruits of their labour.
  • Reply 117 of 175
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:

It's common knowledge that Seagate drives are just above Maxor in quality, going by the return rate given anonymously, although the russians posted a chart once, it's gone now..

Let's not stoop low here, seagate drives are perfectly fine, I 've been a seagate user all my life, and although I have many wds too, I would wager that right now seagate has the edge to wd in a lot of respects. They 've had a bad batch of drives that was fixed with a firmware update for a couple of months. The same drives with the new firmware have proven excellent then on.

Btw, in terms of forum squabbles, let's just bury the hatchet for a while guys, some good will by all parties is required.

This is one of the very few apple related websites that have some level of discourse and community to them still, it's not the bunch of idiots that go to macrumors forums, lots of pc idiots as well as apple ones.

The moderating is also fair and lax and allows for self regulation of the forums instead of bans and policing. There's been some bad blood on both sides, and I think with good reason from both sides, still as a bystander I appreciate that very informative posts have been made notwithstanding the squabbles, and that's something.
  • Reply 118 of 175
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

I am going to ask this in all sincerity: Would you like me to post the definition of attack?

So you can define your way out of it and "prove" that you've never "attacked" anyone? No, not necessary.
  • Reply 119 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Soli, you make some good points here, as per usual. However, it has to be pointed out that since apple decided to use glass pretty much across the board and set themselves up with a reflection/glare issue, they might not be foolish for not using Museum Glass, but they certainly are overdue in finding a solution to the problem they set up for themselves.

I've never seen two people so thin skinned and so wrong in one thread on these forums simply not get it.

MacTripper never suggested an A/R coating for the glass Mac displays. He is only suggesting that Apple use one particular product by one particulate company. On top of that he suggests the product with the UV protection coating, but he won't say why it's necessary. He has never explained why he thinks this one company is important to Apple's future. I've already gone over the issues I addressed about Tru Vue and my questions are still left unanswered from the first page so there is no point in rehashing them.

I'm sorry these asshats derailed the thread so badly. I asked him all these same questions when he first mentioned it last year or 2(?) years ago so I should have known better than to think I would get an intelligent answer now.
  • Reply 120 of 175
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Btw, in terms of forum squabbles, let's just bury the hatchet for a while guys, some good will by all parties is required.

This is one of the very few apple related websites that have some level of discourse and community to them still, it's not the bunch of idiots that go to macrumors forums, lots of pc idiots as well as apple ones.

The moderating is also fair and lax and allows for self regulation of the forums instead of bans and policing. There's been some bad blood on both sides, and I think with good reason from both sides, still as a bystander I appreciate that very informative posts have been made notwithstanding the squabbles, and that's something.

Amen to that. This place is a valuable resource, it does have a value, but it has been on rocky ground for a while now. Despite what you say in your last paragraph, the mods have acted recently, and have for now at least, excised some of the demons that were shaking this forum apart. Good for them. Now, it's time for all good men to come to the aid of the party!