Taiwanese paper claims Apple will refresh entire MacBook line soon

Comments

• Reply 121 of 175
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Apple has to refresh. I consider myself to be an apple fan but some of my extreme apple friends are talking about dumping the mbp getting an ipad for the road and a stronger iMac for home. Although I NEED the express slot for high end quip fx that take a load off the CPU. Can't get that on the iMac. Probably the reason there is noncamera for chatting and other similar things.

Apple is indeed on a role. About to change computing if you ask me. Will be interesting to see the google laptops if it ever happens.

A refresh is coming, there's no doubt about that, the question is when and what. As regards the former, the article suggests it's imminent, and knowing Apple's carefully planned refresh cycles, I think we can be certain it will be before the iPhone refresh (in June?). As to the latter, here are two scenarios:

The optimist.

The long gap means that we will see more than just a speed bump or even just a new cpu, but a substantial re-design. It would be a good time for Apple to do this, as the ultra-mobile halo spreads,the number of potential switchers grows with it. Also, with continued increased sales, plus lucrative other product lines, Apple can afford to trim margins. This would not be done by significant price decreases, but by significant specification increases. If they ally their top-class design and top-class OS with top class specs there is room for substantial growth, even within a static notebook market. There would also be a strategic reason for such a move, namely cannibalisation. If the iPad is too close to the lower end MacBook it will eat into MacBook sales. If however, there is a substantial difference in capability, it would clearly differentiate between the two, meaning more people would buy both. I'm sure Apple want people to buy the iPad in addition to a notebook rather than instead of it, and this would help to achieve that objective.

The pessimist.

Apple has devoted so much of their design, engineering and management resources into the ultra-mobile and ancillary spheres that notebooks and desktops have been squeezed down the list of priorities. The notebook market as a whole is hardly growing, whereas the UM market is exploding. As the ratio between their earnings from those two markets cross, the older notebook (and desktop) lines will be allowed to gently deprecate as they chase the growth.

Me? I'm an optimist!
  • Reply 122 of 175
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

By the year 2020 Apple will have a Special Event and product release every day of the week.

don't forget to mention that the company will be majority owned by the Chinese by then
  • Reply 123 of 175
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:

I've never seen two people so thin skinned and so wrong in one thread on these forums simply not get it.

For God's sake! Stop the tolling!!!
  • Reply 124 of 175
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Apple has devoted so much of their design, engineering and management resources into the ultra-mobile and ancillary spheres that notebooks and desktops have been squeezed down the list of priorities.

Not the notebooks. They are portable devices. And Apple is now a mobile device company. They never sold many desktops to begin with.

My guess is that they will keep going strong with laptops, and will slowly phase out the desktops, with fewer refreshes and less value over the years.
  • Reply 125 of 175
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

640GB is the LARGEST capacity drive for a 9.5mm HDD, the typical in modern notebooks. The 1TB 2.5" HDD I see on the market is 12.5mm. Why you'd expect Apple to reverse their entire platform just to go to a 12.5mm HDD?

edit: That is the WD drive. Toshiba has announced a 1TB 2.5" HDD at 9.5mm that went on sale in Japan on March 25th and slated to go worldwide soon after, but I can't find anyone carrying them.

Installing your own HDD does not void the Apple warranty.

There are 750gb 9.5mm drives now. Just came out
  • Reply 126 of 175
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Btw, in terms of forum squabbles, let's just bury the hatchet for a while guys, some good will by all parties is required.

This is one of the very few apple related websites that have some level of discourse and community to them still, it's not the bunch of idiots that go to macrumors forums, lots of pc idiots as well as apple ones.

The moderating is also fair and lax and allows for self regulation of the forums instead of bans and policing. There's been some bad blood on both sides, and I think with good reason from both sides, still as a bystander I appreciate that very informative posts have been made notwithstanding the squabbles, and that's something.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Amen to that. This place is a valuable resource, it does have a value, but it has been on rocky ground for a while now. Despite what you say in your last paragraph, the mods have acted recently, and have for now at least, excised some of the demons that were shaking this forum apart. Good for them. Now, it's time for all good men to come to the aid of the party!

Agreed. We all need to maintain some civility here. Personal attacks should be avoided at all times. At the same time people posting should stay on topic. Too many times these threads get side tracked into issues that have nothing to do with the topic. I'm relatively new here, but I've noticed some members who are relentless in pressing their issues and view points into the thread straying off topic. Then there are the constant complainers that b*tch about every thing without offering any alternative solutions. So many times I leave threads that droll on and on about the same subject that is not even on topic.

But if you're one that has to argue for the sake of arguing, may I suggest let's step outside at AI's otherside, AO that solipsism recommended to me a while ago @

http://forums.appleinsider.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Each person here has their point of view and we need to respect others for theirs. PEACE BE WITH YOU
  • Reply 127 of 175
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

There are 750gb 9.5mm drives now. Just came out

In my edit you quoted I found info for the 1Tb 9.5mm drives, but that was erroneous. The 9.5mm only applied to the 750GB model, which makes more sense.

I think they are too new for Apple to use for a refresh. I see they went on sale in Japan on the March 25th.
  • Reply 128 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I was at the Apple store today, and the 15" MacBook Pro with glossy screen didn't look any "crisper" than the matte screen one to me. And I could see the entire matte screen at one time without having to move it around so the part I wanted to look at didn't have lights reflecting in it (the Apple Store has a lot of lights). But that's just me.

IDN, IMO glossy just seems better. I do some photography and there are differences between a glossy print and a matt print. For B&W landscapes I prefer glossy and for most portraits matt seems to work (though not always). It might be a subjective thing with me, but then it's my choice. Glare has not been any problem with my glossy screen and I did a lot of research on the subject--although I did ascertain that my preference is in the minority view point. What ever Apple decides, I hope that they will keep the glossy screen as an option.
  • Reply 129 of 175
    Quote:

I think they are too new for Apple to use for a refresh. I see they went on sale in Japan on the March 25th.

Not only new but expensive. Apple tries to maintain a certain price point in their line. This can however be added as an option if the vendor can maintain the supply.
  • Reply 130 of 175
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Not only new but expensive. Apple tries to maintain a certain price point in their line. This can however be added as an option if the vendor can maintain the supply.

And before we get the trolls back complaining about Apple not using weak old tech Apple needs to address the SATA controller issue in their MBPs. The fact that you can have performance problems with a 3rd-party drive is pretty pathetic. I have no idea what they did but I won't be upgrading until I get confirmation (likely from AnandTech) that the issue has been satisfactorily resolved. And since we are talking about updates lets get 6Gbps SATA III in there, as well.
  • Reply 131 of 175
    Quote:

....Museum Glass®...

As usual with you, your homework is done. I was reading this thread yesterday, and decided to check into it as well. The following isn't in response to you S, it is for anyone wondering about the cost and properties of this glass, so we can put it all behind us.

Museum Glass

There you are, you can buy some yourself guys and maybe see what all the fuss is about. They also have other Tru-Vue® glass available for purchase. It seems I'd rather have this one:

Reflection Control

There are more distributors listed on the manufacturer's page here:

http://www.tru-vue.com/find-a-distributor/

As solipsism stated, the glass is super thick for a display. For $90 you can buy a box of 4 16x20 sheets and see for yourself. Scratch it up, drop it, stare at it, whatever......
  • Reply 132 of 175
    Until Apple resolves the glare problem with glossy screens, might I suggest the following

http://www.debspecs.com/SheaDog_GUNN...r_P3053C57.cfm

http://www.debspecs.com/images/Product_Images/CDROM.jpg

or
  • Reply 133 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So you can define your way out of it and "prove" that you've never "attacked" anyone? No, not necessary.

Interesting tact. A definition, pulled from either websters or any other verified source means exactly what it means.

How does that work again?
  • Reply 134 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

As usual with you, your homework is done. I was reading this thread yesterday, and decided to check into it as well. The following isn't in response to you S, it is for anyone wondering about the cost and properties of this glass, so we can put it all behind us.

Museum Glass

There you are, you can buy some yourself guys and maybe see what all the fuss is about. They also have other Tru-Vue® glass available for purchase. It seems I'd rather have this one:

Reflection Control

There are more distributors listed on the manufacturer's page here:

http://www.tru-vue.com/find-a-distributor/

As solipsism stated, the glass is super thick for a display. For $90 you can buy a box of 4 16x20 sheets and see for yourself. Scratch it up, drop it, stare at it, whatever......

Sorry, but I already verified all of this on page two of this thread. I initially provided the link.
  • Reply 135 of 175
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:

I've never seen two people so thin skinned and so wrong in one thread on these forums simply not get it.

What I find funny is I am not around for a few days yet you still seem to find members all the time you can't get along with yet everyone else is always the problem. Maybe you should just turn that finger around.

Clearly you are the issue.
  • Reply 136 of 175
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

It's him. I know this because I used reason and deduction. The same way you know that when you talk on the phone that you are talking to a Terminator disguising its voice.

Give it up will you? You already stated your point in several other posts in this same thread. What else do you want to prove by repeating it a gazillion times?

And the others too.

CGC
  • Reply 137 of 175
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

What I find funny is I am not around for a few days yet you still seem to find members all the time you can't get along with yet everyone else is always the problem. Maybe you should just turn that finger around.

Clearly you are the issue.

I've always found solip to respond respectfully and intelligently to respectful and intelligent comments.

This thread reads like a youTube comments section, and I'm sort of getting sick of this forum becoming a bunch of idiots being caustic without provocation and the repetitive process of he-said she-said, calls for ignoring trolls, and then the trolls counter-attacking by calling someone else a troll and then everyone is tattled on to the moderators.

Kind of makes it unfun to be around here.
  • Reply 138 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

This thread reads like a youTube comments section, and I'm sort of getting sick of this forum becoming a bunch of idiots being caustic without provocation and the repetitive process of he-said she-said, calls for ignoring trolls, and then the trolls counter-attacking by calling someone else a troll and then everyone is tattled on to the moderators.

Sadly what you posted above is about what he spends half of his time doing and he hasn't caught on no one is listening to him. Banning someone does nothing more then turn them into a real troll because all they do is come back with another username and make even more problems.

Very few forums have the ability to truly ban someone forever. Any member that I have seen banned for good simply creates a throw away email address, creates a new name and come back mocking the forum 100 times worse then they did before.

So really he just needs to simply worry about himself and allow the moderators to do the moderating.

The reality is I have been banned a few times for going over the line and I admit that, the ban is short a few days and I respect the moderators so I stay off the forum. The fact is not everyone is like that and once banned they can be back on the forum in 15 mins if they wanted too creating havoc.

So he neither needs to man up and shut up or put the members on ignore and then shut up
  • Reply 139 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Quote:

Ask as many questions as you like.....as long as they are formed as QUESTIONS and NOT attacks.

Quote:

You know, all you've done since you showed up here as harleighquinn is attack people for one thing or another.

Quote:

I am going to ask this in all sincerity: Would you like me to post the definition of attack?

Quote:

So you can define your way out of it and "prove" that you've never "attacked" anyone? No, not necessary.

interesting tact. A definition, pulled from either websters or any other verified source means exactly what it means.

How does that work again?

SERIOUSLY, DROP IT ALREADY---OK There is no reason for bring up something that was so yesterday--peace be with you
  • Reply 140 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Give it up will you? You already stated your point in several other posts in this same thread. What else do you want to prove by repeating it a gazillion times?

And the others too.

CGC

THIS WAS SOOOOoooooo YESTERDAY--DROP IT ALREADY------I'M OUT OF HERE

BYE BYE