Taiwanese paper claims Apple will refresh entire MacBook line soon

Comments

• Reply 41 of 175
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You just tipped your hand. Your previous alias was MacTripper. Again, what the pros -AND- cons of Museum Glass? Why aren't other PC vendors using it? If they are, which ones?

Are you sure, MT?

BTW, MT or SO, my MBP 17" has a glossy screen and have little if any problems with reflections or glare. Advantages are brilliant colors and SHARP DEFINITIONS, CRISP IMAGES. Trust me did a lot of comparison--side by side--Glossy IMO is best for me. What others want is up to them tired of SOS. PS-why do all the PC's and Netbooks all seem to have glossy screens????????

Sorry solipsism but SO is on my IL and you brought this to my attention by quoting SO or MT.
  • Reply 42 of 175
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Is the 45nm Intel® Core™ i7-920XM Processor Extreme Edition (2.00GHz), 8MB L3 Cache, mPGA-989

the fastest i7 Intel Quadcore chip? If it is & it comes with a blu-ray burner I'll be upgrading on

launch day.
  • Reply 43 of 175
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Even if this is so and he is who you state he is, how does that degrade the observation?

I fail to see the connection.

If you had been arround here long enough, you would have seen that this particular individual has posted this point repeatedly, but never discusses it. His knowledge of this special glass and his certainty that it should be used combined with his incessantly bringing it up makes expecting him to have more information a fair complaint.

Seeing as that NO manufacturers are using it, I assume there must be some drawbacks. Here are some possibilities off the top of my head:

1) prohibitively expensive

2) not durable / scratch prone

3) heavy

4) needs to be thick to work properly

Now, I don't know if any of these are true but it seems safe to assume if there were no problems, it would be in use already. And certainly, if I was going to champion this solution repeatedly, I would try to find answers to the logical questions that follow...

Nevertheless,
  • Reply 44 of 175
    Quote:

640GB is the LARGEST capacity drive for a 9.5mm HDD, the typical in modern notebooks. The 1TB 2.5" HDD I see on the market is 12.5mm. Why you'd expect Apple to reverse their entire platform just to go to a 12.5mm HDD?

edit: That is the WD drive. Toshiba has announced a 1TB 2.5" HDD at 9.5mm that went on sale in Japan on March 25th and slated to go worldwide soon after, but I can't find anyone carrying them.

Installing your own HDD does not void the Apple warranty.

Apparently you are correct. I would just have to reinstall the original HDD if any type of service had to be done in order to allow Apple a clean slate to work on.

And yes, I was aware of the Toshiba drives. I referenced WD due to it being the first that came to mind, as I have experience with WD, Hitachi, Seagate (utter crap),Fujitsu, Samsung. I have never purchased a Toshiba drive and therefore it would not be my immediate point of reference.

In any case, I am correct.
  • Reply 45 of 175
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Are you sure, MT?

I sure as I'm that the sun will rise from the East tomorrow.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

Is the 45nm Intel® Core? i7-920XM Processor Extreme Edition (2.00GHz), 8MB L3 Cache, mPGA-989

the fastest i7 Intel Quadcore chip? If it is & it comes with a blu-ray burner I'll be upgrading on

launch day.

It depends what you are measuring when it comes to speed. By your definition, it is the fastest for mobiles, but it won't be coming with any MBP. Neither with any of the Quad-core chips. Apple will surely use the 32nm dual-core chips instead of the 45nm chips from last year.

I don't think they've ever used a 45W chip in a MBP and you are asking for a 55W chip. This article is speculating about Apple using Arrandale, the clear choice for the refresh, not Clarkdale.
  • Reply 46 of 175
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Well....that destroys the possibility of placing a 2 terabyte drive in my iMac before giving it to my mother.

Opening up the iMac is a touchy thing, wind up breaking something in the process, I lost my mic doing it once

How about a external drive and pointing the user folder there?

it's a desktop machine anyway, not like it's going to be moved around.

Quote:

Seagate (utter crap)

Totally, I like Hitachi drives.
  • Reply 47 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

If you had been arround here long enough, you would have seen that this particular individual has posted this point repeatedly, but never discusses it. His knowledge of this special glass and his certainty that it should be used combined with his incessantly bringing it up makes expecting him to have more information a fair complaint.

Seeing as that NO manufacturers are using it, I assume there must be some drawbacks. Here are some possibilities off the top of my head:

1) prohibitively expensive

2) not durable / scratch prone

3) heavy

4) needs to be thick to work properly

Now, I don't know if any of these are true but it seems safe to assume if there were no problems, it would be in use already. And certainly, if I was going to champion this solution repeatedly, I would try to find answers to the logical questions that follow...

Nevertheless,

That does not negate the reasoning it DOES in fact exist. Having begun as an artist before moving to accounting I am aware of museum glass. Even if i were not, a perfunctory google search reveals its existence:

http://www.tru-vue.com/Tru-Vue/Products/33/

As to why the manufacturers choose not to utilize it, that is a question one should ask Samsung or whomever else manufactures the Apple glossy screens.

Do not expect manufacturers to think the obvious, as you or I would, but also do not attack someone for stating it.

A perfect example would be the springboard one obtains by jail breaking an iPhone. It is of such utter common sense one wonders why it was not thought of by the apple engineers, but alas, the supposed hacking community has to show where the messiah is human.

I don't believe museum glass has caustic chemicals. If it did, all those paintings would deteriorate in short fashion.

I would assume it is scratch proof, from personal experience.

Thickness may be an apt reservation.

I don't believe it's weight would be an issue. Pictures do hang on walls, and these paintings usually weigh less than our new LCD televisions.

But to attack someone without performing your own due diligence puts one in the same caliber as the person they feel superior to by attacking them.

Hence....zealotry.
  • Reply 48 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Opening up the iMac is a touchy thing, wind up breaking something in the process, I lost my mic doing it once

How about a external drive and pointing the user folder there?

it's a desktop machine anyway, not like it's going to be moved around.

I have done exactly that up till now. I am just unsure as to whether that would translate well for her. I am constantly getting calls for her windows machine as it is. I believe the mac would be better for her and we need to upgrade, but I don't want to complicate matters for her.

Quote:

Totally, I like Hitachi drives.

As do I.
  • Reply 49 of 175
    Quote:

Even if this is so and he is who you state he is, how does that degrade the observation?

I fail to see the connection.

If there is a solution and Apple has yet to think of it, how is attacking him in a matter of fact vein going to address the fact Apple has not been as attentive as they should.

solipsism uses it to troll whenever this subject comes up and it doesn't work anymore, nobody has the answer for why Apple does what they do.

Why does Apple use Seagate drives?
  • Reply 50 of 175
    Quote:

solipsism uses it to troll and it doesn't work anymore, nobody has the answer for why Apple does what they do.

I back up opinions and speculations with researched and well reasoned facts. If that sounds like trolling it's no wonder you fail to ever do the same.

You've also failed to understand the question which asked you to explain why you think it's best and what the benefit and downsides are instead of some odd desire for something without actually have an intelligent or logical reason why. Now which one of is making the trolling posts, MacTripper?
  • Reply 51 of 175
    Quote:

solipsism uses it to troll and it doesn't work anymore, nobody has the answer for why Apple does what they do.

Why does Apple use Seagate drives?

I honestly was not aware they did.

My experience with Seagate was in the WinPC world, but I shudder to think of an apple machine with a Seagate Drive. That would be the equivalent of a Bugatti Veyron with a 1990's Ford engine.
  • Reply 52 of 175
    Quote:

I back up opinions and speculations with researched and well reasoned facts. If that sounds like trolling it's no wonder you fail to ever do the same.

You've also failed to understand the question which asked you to explain why you think it's best and what the benefit and downsides are instead of some odd desire for something without actually have an intelligent or logical reason why. Now which one of is making the trolling posts, MacTripper?

There is no fact in the accusation that one person is another unless you are standing over their shoulder as they post.

If that IS the case, you have much more to worry about than winning the argument.

Stalking comes to mind.....
  • Reply 53 of 175
    Quote:

I have answered for him via a previous post and have also provided a link.

This is now digressing from a facts based discussion to a potential school yard brawl.

Please practice what you are requesting.
  • Reply 54 of 175
    Quote:

There is no fact in the accusation that one person is another unless you are standing over their shoulder as they post.

If that IS the case, you have much more to worry about than winning the argument.

Stalking comes to mind.....

It's him. I know this because I used reason and deduction. The same way you know that when you talk on the phone that you are talking to a Terminator disguising its voice.
  • Reply 55 of 175
    Quote:

It's him. I know this because I used reason and deduction. The same way you know that when you talk on the phone that you are talking to a Terminator disguising its voice.

There are many things I could say to this.....but I feel it speaks for itself.....
  • Reply 56 of 175
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biyibot View Post

Mac mini with a better home entertainment software like Plex, built in TV tuner etc.

I don't foresee a Mac Mini refresh yet, they just refreshed it in October 2009.

I'd say we're in for another 6-12 months on the Mini.

Now, a refresh of the AppleTV would seem to make sense -- especially if it switches to Apple Silicon (as it is expected to). But I would expect that more toward the end of summer when they do their iPod/media events.

I'd expect the AppleTV to get a face lift, probably with the iOS .

And then, we'd get NETFLIX on our apple tvs ;-)
  • Reply 57 of 175
    Quote:

Well you already know Apple doesn't disclose that sort of information, so why bother to ask the question you already know there is no answer too?

Because your trolling. Simple.

Go back to attacking harleighquinn again, your tricks don't work with me anymore.
  • Reply 58 of 175
    Quote:

No you didn't. You applied the same level research when you thought a MBP HDD voided the warranty. You didn't answer any questions I posed and you've failed understand a single limitation of why that isn't an option for any notebook maker. It's all right there in your link, I was trying to get MacTripper to see it for one. I thought if he tried to supply the info he might realize his error. I can lead a horse to water but I can't make him drink.
  • Reply 59 of 175
    Quote:

Well you already know Apple doesn't disclose that sort of information, so why bother to ask the question you already know there is no answer too?)

And, again, Apple's reasons have no barring on the questions I asked you.
  • Reply 60 of 175
    Quote:

This is now digressing from a facts based discussion to a potential school yard brawl.

Please practice what you are requesting.

your talking about solipsism here, the big bully on the block, picking fights and claiming his turf

you can't have a conversation unless he approves, why I changed my nick in the first place, he had me thinking I was the problem

hey solipsism, is this your site?, meaning do you own it?, because I just want to know if people are wasting their time here, it's obvious your not going to stop attacking people