RIM, Nokia respond to Apple's "Antennagate" press conference

Comments

• Reply 381 of 547
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Right.

Now go be a good boy and follow the nice soldier's advice about having a nice cup of STFU.

Why? Is the truth defficult for you to handle?
  • Reply 382 of 547
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

4. Walk like a troll, quack like a troll - You are a troll.

Well I guess that makes you a troll as well then?
  • Reply 383 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The 1100 is a dual band 2G GSM phone, it has no WiFi, Bluetooth or 3G radios to take into consideration.

It is useless as a comparison.

You're absolutely right. Given that the 1100 has no alternative radio sources and to interfere with its radio performance and only operates on the two frequency groups, it should have no problems at all with radio signal degridation.
  • Reply 384 of 547
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Apple has had a history of poor engineering, they rank low in quality surveys. I have had 50% of my Macs fail. You can call me a troll all you like, live in your little dream world all you like.

You are a troll because of your incessant lies - not because of your side.

What in the world makes you think that making things up somehow overrules the fact? Apple consistently rates as one of the best providers in terms of reliability, service, DOA rates, and customer satisfaction?

Where's your evidence that they rank low in quality surveys?

I'm not really interested in your experience. It's actually fairly impressive that you were only able to break half of your Macs - considering that you probably pound on them with sledgehammers all day long.
  • Reply 385 of 547
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    I giggled when RIM smacked Apple down back to reality. You have to damn near stranglehold a BB to get it to lose signal, while the act of merely holding an iPhone4 naturally is enough to cause signal loss....

Take your lumps Apple, you deserve them for trying to drag other people down when they don't have intentional design flaws built into the phone.
  • Reply 386 of 547
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

This problem doesn't affect all (or indeed many) users. How can you make a judgement based on a single unit?

Answer: You can't. The sample size is way too small.

Did you even read the OP's post? They claimed that there were only 3 types of posters on AI. I was simply stating that there should be another category - those here who actually own the iPhone 4 and haven't had any problems.

I made absolutely no claims about that sample size. Perhaps you would like to try? A poll might work, but it would just be taken over by the trolls who live under the bridges here.
  • Reply 387 of 547
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

Apple has had a history of poor engineering, they rank low in quality surveys. I have had 50% of my Macs fail. You can call me a troll all you like, live in your little dream world all you like.

What a ridiculous thing to say. And then lower down you claim you aren't a troll? What a laugh.

The facts are entirely opposite to your assertion. Apple has a history of fantastic engineering, extremely low return rates and ranks the highest of any company in surveys of customer satisfaction.

You can't just come on a forum and say black is white and expect people to believe you.
  • Reply 388 of 547
    Quote:

Can you provide sample data?

What. Too lazy to look it up yourself?

Start with CR. They post that info on a fairly regular basis.
  • Reply 389 of 547
    Quote:

Why? Is the truth defficult for you to handle?

I see a nice future ahead of you as the spokesperson for big oil and big tobacco.

Now do us a favor and return to whatever planet you were spawned from.
  • Reply 390 of 547
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I giggled when RIM smacked Apple down back to reality. You have to damn near stranglehold a BB to get it to lose signal, while the act of merely holding an iPhone4 naturally is enough to cause signal loss....

When most iPhone 4 users tried to explain that the "death grip" is a non-issue for them, they were not heard by the pointing and laughing Blackberry and Android users who concluded all iPhone 4 users cannot make a single phone call. Then, when Apple showed video evidence of this same signal attenuation affecting Blackberry and Android phones, the same blackberry and android users exclaimed Apple was bluffing because their phone didn't behave in that manner. Enjoy continuing to use your perfectly functional Blackberry while I continue enjoying my perfectly functional iPhone 4.
  • Reply 391 of 547
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Did you read the linked article, or just reject it because you don't like the author?

IMO, in this instance Rush is on-target in that Apple is being skewered because they are too successful.

I used to listen to Rush on a regular basis.

Rush does not claim to be a journalist, nor a news reporter,

He claims to be an "entertainer" who offers " his opinions" on things that interest him. His show is just that!

Rush has as much right to post here, as anyone, although I doubt if he knows that AI even exists.

I have as much right as anyone to post whatever links I feel are of interest, support my assertions or contribute to the discussion.

You have the freedom to read them or not, agree or not-- your choices.

To suggest that "I'm a big idiot" because I seek knowledge, whatever the source -- suggests that one of us may have "prejudged" the issues and is not open to discussion of ideas from a different point of view.

I do take offense!

Again, No offense but what am I supposed to think? You quoted an idiot and a known liar who admits to twisting the truth on his show. When you quote someone like that it's reasonable that assume people will associate your judgement and your level of knowledge with the well-known idiot and liar.

We can either debate facts or opinions. I prefer facts for the most part, but if you're going to quote opinions, be prepared to be associated with the person that has the opinion you are quoting. The only rational thing I can assume (since you are quoting his opinion) is that you agree with him and that you think he's a reasonable person that should be listened to.

Rush Limbaugh doesn't fall into that category. He is an entertainer as he and you both admit and not concerned with the truth per se. He even says this on his show when he gets cornered on a particular factoid. I don't even listen to it and even I know that.

Edit: Besides which, if you can quote Rush Limbaugh's opinion, I'm sure I can quote someone else's opinion on him.

like so:

• Reply 392 of 547
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    HTC didn't mention return rate, the figure referred to calls to their call centre.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

I see you are confused what the word "percentage" means. It does not matter how many more units Apple has sold vs HTC. They didn't say X number of units where being returned. They gave a percentage. I suggest you look up the meaning of percentage. The fact remains, HTC has a much lower return rate.

• Reply 393 of 547
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

Exactly - and as I've posted in another thread this is only going to get worse. Especially when the iP4 is also on Verizon.

I'd be willing to bet that there will be several competitive smart phones with integrated external antennas within a year.

Just like the original iPhone, the integrated external antenna is a step forward (with, maybe a half-step back). Smart phone makers, including Apple, will try to offer a better solution with less downside,

Apple are doing well because we're in the experience economy and most phone manufacturers don't know this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Experience_Economy

That's an interesting concept-- I was not familiar with the term. I am not quite sure if an "experience" alone can be used as a sound, repeatable, profit basis for most enterprises.

Certainly, the travel, vacation and entertainment industries are selling "experiences" to a great extent. But, in a down economy, these are "luxuries" that most people are willing to forgo-- just look at how these industries are suffering, now.

What Apple seems to be doing is adding an attractive, enjoyable "experience" to a [perceived] necessity-- you need a new car, for a few dollars extra, you can get that sporty red convertible.

I think that one of the secrets of Apple's success is that they understand why and what the customer will pay for the "experience" premium.

Another thing that Apple understands, is that when money is tight people will buy quality, or nothing at all-- money is too dear to be wasted on poor-quality throwaways.

• Reply 394 of 547
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

HTC didn't mention return rate, the figure referred to calls to their call centre.

Egg, meet face.
  • Reply 395 of 547
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    We are all mortal. There is far too much for any of us to learn in one lifetime. One should choose to pursue knowledge from those sources that have proven reliable in the past. Rush Limbaugh is not one of those sources.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree with Applebaum 100%. One should never limit where they look for and gain knowledge. To quote Adlai E. Stevenson Jr., "If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us."

• Reply 396 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That's an interesting concept-- I was not familiar with the term. I am not quite sure if an "experience" alone can be used as a sound, repeatable, profit basis for most enterprises.

Certainly, the travel, vacation and entertainment industries are selling "experiences" to a great extent. But, in a down economy, these are "luxuries" that most people are willing to forgo-- just look at how these industries are suffering, now.

What Apple seems to be doing is adding an attractive, enjoyable "experience" to a [perceived] necessity-- you need a new car, for a few dollars extra, you can get that sporty red convertible.

I think that one of the secrets of Apple's success is that they understand why and what the customer will pay for the "experience" premium.

Another thing that Apple understands, is that when money is tight people will buy quality, or nothing at all-- money is too dear to be wasted on poor-quality throwaways.

When people can afford it, they want elegance, beauty AND utility rather than just plain old utility

Attractive things work better

http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/emotion_design.html

The substance of style

“look and feel” of people, places, and things are more important than we think. Aesthetic pleasure taps deep human instincts and is essential for creativity and growth. Postrel argues persuasively that it is a vital component of a healthy, forward-looking society.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Mqd...page&q&f=false
  • Reply 397 of 547
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

Citation please!

I will dig out some links, and post later, but Apple regularly wins awards for products, engineering, customer satisfaction, etc.

... mean time, you show me yours, and I'll show you mine.

Only fair that you go first, you are making the claim.

Prove it! Factually, not anecdotally!

• Reply 398 of 547
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    That's just not true. Apple is consistently at the highest in customer service ratings for the Mac, and even though I don't think they handled "Antennagate" as well as they could have, satisfaction with the iPhone is in the stratosphere also. Writing something as demonstrably false as this makes it clear you don't have the facts.

Quote:

• Reply 399 of 547
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Actually, Apple's design is an improvement over the other phones. On the other phones they all have similar spots but you have to struggle with the phones to find the exact spots so you don't know when you will hit them. With the iPhone the spot is very small and readily identifiable.

Further, the drop in bars is irrelevant since every phone manufacturer uses a different algorithm to report signal loss. In other words, the same signal drop might be reported as one drop on a Nokia phone and as two bars on an iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The iPhone 4 is the only phone that can go from 5 bars to 0 bars with the touch of a single finger at a small part of the case.

Apple is right to be criticized for this obvious design flaw. This is not standard attenuation.

• Reply 400 of 547
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:

Well I guess that makes you a troll as well then?

The only people who seem to say so are the trolls. Most everyone considers you one. See how that works?