Combined Mac, iPad sales to make Apple top global PC vendor in 2012

Comments

• Reply 161 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Quote:

Hell, I paid $225 for a Windows XP upgrade *from Windows NT.

Woah! Slow down there Ol' iPad-Throne King

We wouldn't want your whole argument thrown down the toilet due to nasty "slip-up".

*Fixed it for ya

No wonder it was so expensive and took so long...

On Parallels, I had to:

-- install NT

-- install the mandatory service packs

-- install the XP upgrade

-- install all the XP service packs, etc.

The whole process took 2-4 hours... and had to be regular attended to answer intermittent dialogs, sect install options.

Finally I said hell with it -- don't run no windows, no time, no how!

Today, I can purchase a better OS for $29, download and install it in less than an hour.
  • Reply 162 of 262
    Windows 8 however is going to $%^^ this %%% up! Seriously, it may seem smart, but windows 8 on tablet won't work well. A dual OS just doesn't work out (hopefully they prove me wrong). Didn't this tablet OS thingy happen with XP?
  • Reply 163 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Genius concept...not so great execution.

When people started making fun of the iPad being 4 iPhones ductaped together...I actually thought it was genius. I would love to just put my iphone in tablet shell. Or if I want to play Infinity Blade/some game on teh screen I can just take the iPad and connect an HDMI cable to it and just buy a controller.

I think the Wii U is doing a concept like this. We are truly being mobile. Instead of bring your flash drive, you can just take your phone and make it the computer. Imagine more slmline PCs powered by your phone?

I think computers are going to be a LOT more mobile in the future.
  • Reply 164 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

the iPad cannot do everything a PC can do, and vice versa.

So obviously capability is not the decisive factor in what makes a PC a PC.

True!

What a PC is... is like beauty -- it is in the eye of the beholder.

We can all look at someone like Sophia Loren or Ingrid Bergman and most will agree that that is beauty.

But what about the less obvious cases the merely attractive? You have to go beyond physical "looks" and examine who they are -- how do they respect themselves, how do they respect others...

That's a different kind of beauty -- some would say that it is real beauty.

I remember reading a story in the early 70s about a VW Beatle that won an automobile race -- easily beating much more capable and powerful cars...

...towards the end of the article they explained that race was run on a 1/4 mile track (like the track around your high school football field).

The Beatle was perfectly suited for that track and had more than enough capability and power to do the job.

I think that there are lots of PCs... it is up to us to pick the one that does the job we want it to do.
  • Reply 165 of 262
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

When people started making fun of the iPad being 4 iPhones ductaped together...I actually thought it was genius.

That's not only the antithesis of genius it's also axiomatically wrong as the iPad display is 7.99x the size of a single iPhone display.
  • Reply 166 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

No wonder it was so expensive and took so long...

On Parallels, I had to:

-- install NT

-- install the mandatory service packs

-- install the XP upgrade

-- install all the XP service packs, etc.

The whole process took 2-4 hours... and had to be regular attended to answer intermittent dialogs, sect install options.

Finally I said hell with it -- don't run no windows, no time, no how!

Today, I can purchase a better OS for $29, download and install it in less than an hour.

My first "real" working experience with Windows was with NT4. To tell ya the truth: I really did like the monster data server tower we built, specifically for all of our Macs using AppleTalk. The thing weighed about 20 lbs(!).

Best "reality" price for the kiddies out there: ca. Nov. 1998 -- 1gb (yes...one Gigabyte!) SCSI Hard drive for ~$600,00 + 1 key-lockable drawer enclosure ~$200,00. That was only one of 4 in the server, with 2 swappables as backups (also with drawer...grrrr!)

And the kids have the nerve to b***** about the cost of an iPad?!? Or even the Kindle Fire? All i had in my hand for $200,- was some bent and ridged wrought-iron and some friggin' screws!

Oh the days....
  • Reply 167 of 262
    Quote:

True!

What a PC is... is like beauty -- it is in the eye of the beholder.

We can all look at someone like Sophia Loren or Ingrid Bergman and most will agree that that is beauty.<snip>

Well now your just showing off your "Wisdom with Age" card... Ya play cards much? STOP IT!... as the coach would say. You're killin' me!
  • Reply 168 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

... I dare you to name a SINGLE thing an iPad can do that most PCs cannot....

Run 10 hours on a single charge.
  • Reply 169 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

Run 10 hours on a single charge.

More to the point, run 10+ hours of video on a single charge. Can't even do that on the MBPs that are rated for 10 hours under a certain load.
  • Reply 170 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's not only the antithesis of genius it's also axiomatically wrong as the iPad display is 7.99x the size of a single iPhone display.

And since when did you start taking over the "Professor's" role? Feel lucky we haven't seen Ireland in these parts for awhile. I believe he's waiting for the real AppleTV before popping up outa the forest again. Silly Leprechauns!
  • Reply 171 of 262
    Quote:

And since when did you start taking over the "Professor's" role? Feel lucky we haven't seen Ireland in these parts for awhile. I believe he's waiting for the real AppleTV before popping up outa the forest again. Silly Leprechauns!

I have excessively punctilious today.

I wonder what is up with Ireland. I do feel a little bad comparing him to Karl Pilkington describing how a death watch works when Ireland describes how the AppleHDTV will work. But not bad enough to repost this video clip:
  • Reply 172 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have excessively punctilious today.

I wonder what is up with Ireland. I do feel a little bad comparing him to Karl Pilkington describing how a death watch works when Ireland describes how the AppleHDTV will work. But not bad enough to repost this video clip:

OK. That's it... I'm out here. My stomach hurts from laughing to much for the last few hours. If the Ireland reference wasn't enough... then the Karl Pilkington YouTube video... and then that hilarious sig from DA... BTW: ya happen to see where he says that he looks a bit like the Gecko-guy... I'm... I'm... I'm...
  • Reply 173 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

I also think that having an iPad not running on iOS and instead on OSX will ruin the entire iPad franchise.

Ahh... but think about it the other way around...

Future Macs will run an iOS version with [possibly] overlapping windows, more power, more accessories...

Basically:

1) iOS == all thats needed to run on a portable multitouch device ported from Mac OS X (anything not necessary has been removed)

2) Mac OS X == 90% of all iOS developed features (or reimplemented Mac OS X features) ported back to the Mac

3) With the exception of the kernel, iOKit, UIKit the OSes are likely 75-80% identical code -- and just a compile away from running on any supported platform.

That's what MS is attempting to do with Windows 8 -- one OS to run everywhere... But they are waiting for low-power x86 chips for the Tablets.

I suspect that you could disconnect everything (mouse, kb, etc) from an iMac or Mini and connect the iPad (WiFi may be good enough) and run the Mac from the iPad (as a customizable keyboard, MagicPad.

I actually have an app that does that:

Mobile Mouse (Remote/Trackpad for the iPad)

I am typing this on my iPad directly into Safari running on my iMac. There are ways of dictating into Siri (Nuance) on the iPhone 4S to do the same thing by voice... but that's a story for another day...

Mac OS Lioness could run OS X and iOS and their associated apps and peripherals concurrently.

In the end game... the goal of all this... the OS gets out of the way... your stuff works and looks the same -- on a heavy-iron desktop/floortop as on a light weight battery operated mobile tablet.

Wherever you go whatever Apple device you use -- your stuff all looks and works the same (the way you chose). Somethings just run a little better or faster on the different form factors.

BTW, the Windows 8 Metro UI has an interesting feature where you can drag an app halfway onto the screen and it splits the screen -- sharing it with the prior app.

I could see something like this being useful on a tablet size screen -- and would ease the difference between a multiple-window desktop and a single/dual window tablet.
  • Reply 174 of 262
    Quote:

Ahh... but think about it the other way around...

Future Macs will run an iOS version with [possibly] overlapping windows, more power, more accessories...

Basically:

1) iOS == all thats needed to run on a portable multitouch device ported from Mac OS X (anything not necessary has been removed)

2) Mac OS X == 90% of all iOS developed features (or reimplemented Mac OS X features) ported back to the Mac

3) With the exception of the kernel, iOKit, UIKit the OSes are likely 75-80% identical code -- and just a compile away from running on any supported platform.

That's what MS is attempting to do with Windows 8 -- one OS to run everywhere... But they are waiting for low-power x86 chips for the Tablets.

I suspect that you could disconnect everything (mouse, kb, etc) from an iMac or Mini and connect the iPad (WiFi may be good enough) and run the Mac from the iPad (as a customizable keyboard, MagicPad.

I actually have an app that does that:

Mobile Mouse (Remote/Trackpad for the iPad)

I am typing this on my iPad directly into Safari running on my iMac. There are ways of dictating into Siri (Nuance) on the iPhone 4S to do the same thing by voice... but that's a story for another day...

Mac OS Lioness could run OS X and iOS and their associated apps and peripherals concurrently.

In the end game... the goal of all this... the OS gets out of the way... your stuff works and looks the same -- on a heavy-iron desktop/floortop as on a light weight battery operated mobile tablet.

Wherever you go whatever Apple device you use -- your stuff all looks and works the same (the way you chose). Somethings just run a little better or faster on the different form factors.

BTW, the Windows 8 Metro UI has an interesting feature where you can drag an app halfway onto the screen and it splits the screen -- sharing it with the prior app.

I could see something like this being useful on a tablet size screen -- and would ease the difference between a multiple-window desktop and a single/dual window tablet.

You have valid points, I suppose you're right.

I think ingegration for me is really important. I have so many differnet needs at differnet situatioins.

I do like that the Xbox 360 (and definatley the next one) is basically running all on the same OS (or something that's very similar). The 'drag an drop' is such an important asset for me. Cloud saving an everything is all good.

Imagine playing one video game on your PC just to continue it on the Xbox 360.

I really think the iPad will do this with Macs. Steam for iPad/Mac being integrated is incredible. The iPad isn't too far behind when it comes to power so I cna't wait for the future.
  • Reply 175 of 262
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Can be done on a PC with a webcam.

Ever heard of golfworldmap.com? You don't need an iPad to get golf site information and aerial views.

Can be done with a 3G capable PC. Though I don't think it's a good idea to take a laptop or an iPad to the beach.

So you're saying an iPad can use iPad apps and a PC can't? Are you really that desperate for an example?

I asked for 1 and you provided 0, so keep trying. Don't give me examples where an iPad is more convenient, that's not the point. I'm looking for something that only an iPad can do.

You're not serious. You carry a laptop on a golf course? You hold your laptop over your head?

Functional is not irrelevant here.

You're looking desperate here.

I'll make it easier for you... The smartphone is the computer. get used to it.
  • Reply 176 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

You're not serious. You carry a laptop on a golf course? You hold your laptop over your head?Functional is not irrelevant here.

You're looking desperate here.

I'll make it easier for you... The smartphone is the computer. get used to it.

You use your iPad as an umberella?
  • Reply 177 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

its not a computer..... deal with it.

It is a computer......deal with it.

(see how illuminating that is?)

The iPad does not have a mouse driven UI. Until vast amounts of software is redesigned to work with a multitouch UI there will be a false impression that only mouse capable machines can be "real computers". The same phenomenon accompanied the introduction of the Mac back in 1984 when the mouse driven UI was dismissed as a toy. Ironically, even as we go through the disruption of a new interaction model (multitouch), the next barbarian is approaching the gate: Siri and voice or conversation interface. Yet again pioneered by Apple. You have to have a real dispute with reality to fail to see the pattern.
  • Reply 178 of 262
    Quote:

My first "real" working experience with Windows was with NT4. To tell ya the truth: I really did like the monster data server tower we built, specifically for all of our Macs using AppleTalk. The thing weighed about 20 lbs(!).

Best "reality" price for the kiddies out there: ca. Nov. 1998 -- 1gb (yes...one Gigabyte!) SCSI Hard drive for ~$600,00 + 1 key-lockable drawer enclosure ~$200,00. That was only one of 4 in the server, with 2 swappables as backups (also with drawer...grrrr!)

And the kids have the nerve to b***** about the cost of an iPad?!? Or even the Kindle Fire? All i had in my hand for $200,- was some bent and ridged wrought-iron and some friggin' screws!

Oh the days....

The first [microcomputer] hard disk I ever sold was a 5 Megabyte Corvus (IMI) Drive for $5,000 ca 1979.

It was about the size of a Shaq O'Neil shoebox -- about 8 regular shoe boxes.
  • Reply 179 of 262
    Your brain is a computer. It has unlimted storage and processing power. Aren't scientists trying to use our DNA to make super computers? I swear you guys are so lazy today.

How about you guys do something useful: Use your actual brainpower and stop letting computers do the talking. Instead of using this discussion board, go to Time Square and start writing on the wall and wait for a reply....
  • Reply 180 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

We can call anything we want a computer.

For example, my toaster uses sensors and a logic chip. If we include toasters in the definition, then Sunbeam is a major computer company.

Any one know how I connect my toaster to my home wifi?

Do I need Lion because I only have snow leopard