Combined Mac, iPad sales to make Apple top global PC vendor in 2012

Comments

• Reply 141 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I can buy an iPod Touch (iPhone, iPad), JailBreak it and install Apache -- makes a pretty decent web server. Also iOS has all the 'Nix OS (Mac OS X) that the hardware can support including a the OS X structure and file system -- and any of these devices ($200 and up) are more capable than the Windows PCs of 10 years ago... Hell, I paid $225 for a Windows XP upgrade *from Windows NT.

Woah! Slow down there Ol' iPad-Throne King

We wouldn't want your whole argument thrown down the toilet due to nasty "slip-up".

*Fixed it for ya
  • Reply 142 of 262
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    Quote:

How about this then:

The iPad brings personal computing to millions of people who, otherwise, would not have access to these benefits!

Awesome statement!
  • Reply 143 of 262
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

So, you are not prepared to counter my argument (go and read what I wrote) but submit the argument that you should be able say anything you like and have it accepted. My point was that it doesn't matter what is said, a troll continues with fallacious arguments regardless and claims immunity through the right to an opinion.

to the ignore list you go!
  • Reply 144 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Hold it up to the sky and get an augmented reality view of the cosmos?

Can be done on a PC with a webcam.

Quote:

Give me the yardage to #18 hole from the fairway with an aerial view of all of the bunkers along the way?

Ever heard of golfworldmap.com? You don't need an iPad to get golf site information and aerial views.

Quote:

Click a picture of my kid at the beach and have it immediately viewed by the grandparents?

Can be done with a 3G capable PC. Though I don't think it's a good idea to take a laptop or an iPad to the beach.

Quote:

Solve a niche need for which I can find an immediate point solution on the app store instead of having to write up coded solution or buy overpriced, generalized software

So you're saying an iPad can use iPad apps and a PC can't? Are you really that desperate for an example?

Quote:

You asked for 1. I can go on.

I asked for 1 and you provided 0, so keep trying. Don't give me examples where an iPad is more convenient, that's not the point. I'm looking for something that only an iPad can do.
  • Reply 145 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Using 11thIndian's defintion which I think is great, "A PC isn't defined as a device that allows you do to everything, it's a device that allows you to do everything you want to do." I suppose a smartphone or PMP might fit that build, but I doubt that many would consider it a replacement for a standard PC.

Where a user might have used a notebook for casual computing or have been tied to a desktop they are finding the iPad to fit the majority of their PC needs. I've even read about plenty of longtime notebook users going for a desktop for their purchase because the iPad suits their mobile needs sufficiently and in many ways better.

Ya' know in a world, say, 2-3 years down the road -- where the number of cars outnumber the trucks...

There, likely, will be a need for all those car users to, occasionally, have access to a more powerful vehicle -- or to tow a boat...

Today we rent a U-Haul or install a trailer hitch.

I suspect in an iPad dominated world, the occasional need for more power or access to accessories (printers, scanners, etc.) could be satisfied by going to a place where these services (bigger iron, apps and accessories) are available.

For many, that place would be the home.

For the iPad generation, that place might be a [school or Public] library, Starbucks, McDonalds or somesuch...

Maybe an interesting opportunity...

P.S. Stop stealing my Thunder [from the Throne]
  • Reply 146 of 262
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

Well it was your list after all....

webcams: not yet

pen drives: huh?

The iPad2 has a front facing camera included, so webcams are covered. Pen drive/usb drive, well computers prior to the iMac didn't have USB ports, so I guess w/his definition anything pre-1998 isn't a PC either
  • Reply 147 of 262
    Quote:

Simple... the activities that an iPad is used for is a superset of the activities that most PCs are used for.

BTW, One form of trolling, is to muddy the water with inane and/or off-topic comments to try and hijack the thread... thinly-veiled insults or left-handed compliments (ala DED) are a form of this.

I know. But I haven't seen that in this thread...and most of the so-called "Trolls" who stayed in my short time here are hardly trolls.
  • Reply 148 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Dick is royalty around here... and this is his first speech from the throne (that we know about anyway).

We appreciate your due deference...
  • Reply 149 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Oh really, most PCs?. I dare you to name a SINGLE thing an iPad can do that most PCs cannot. And not something stupid like "run iOS" or something iPad specific like Angry Birds. Because I can name hundreds of things a PC can do that an iPad can't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

....OK... I'm biting: for example?

To be fair, we must allow him to attach to his PC:

-- a display

-- a keyboard

-- a mouse

-- a WiFi or Modem adapter

-- a Camera or Scanner

-- a GPS adapter

-- a multitouch graphics tablet

Then, his PC could do everything an iPad can do -- maybe even more
  • Reply 150 of 262
    This is a very unfair statistic. By this logic, Android is certainly the number 1 OS.

iPad is a tablet and should be treated as such. Mac computers still lag behind.
  • Reply 151 of 262
    Quote:

-- a display

-- a keyboard

-- a mouse

-- a Camera or Scanner

-- a GPS adapter

D*** D.A....! You're on a serious roll today! Get some? Or have some! That is the question...
  • Reply 152 of 262
    Quote:

-- a display

-- a keyboard

-- a mouse

-- a Camera or Scanner

-- a GPS adapter

the iPad cannot do everything a PC can do, and vice versa.

So obviously capability is not the decisive factor in what makes a PC a PC.
  • Reply 153 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So we've gone from "the iPad isn't a personal computer because you have to connect it to a Mac/PC running iTunes to activate it" to "iPads aren't personal computers because they can't do as much as Mac OS/Windows"? I guess that makes only Windows tablets personal computers, but what about Windows 8 that will ue a new UI specifically for the touch UI?

Sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me. The idea that it's not a personal computer unless users can have carte blanche access to delete root files that will brick their machine is a pretty lame excuse. I'd think the term personal would be a big enough clue as to what a personal computer is. After all, the iPad does a lot more and is a lot more powerful than most of the history of "PC"s.

Not if you tell us about it.

So then you're saying that my phone is a PC? Hmm....gotta throw my desktop out now.

Wait, didn't Motorola come out withi phones that can go into a laptop dock? I still wouldn't consider those computers at all. We can't simply keep changing the definition so some companies can get the upper hand. Can it in the future? Yes. But then again, I think iPads will die out by that logic. Why get an iPad when my phone can virutally do the same thing *looks at 4S*. Tablets are meant ot bridge the connection, not replace it.

My Gamecube, Wii, 360 and what nots are PCs essentially, but it's the restrictiveness that makes them less so. They serve one purpose.

I also think that having an iPad not running on iOS and instead on OSX will ruin the entire iPad franchise.
  • Reply 154 of 262
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

This is a very unfair statistic. By this logic, Android is certainly the number 1 OS.

iPad is a tablet and should be treated as such. Mac computers still lag behind.

No, there are not nearly as many Android systems out there as Windows systems. Also you would be combining sales for a multitude of companies to get that Android sales statistic. This statistic is by individual company. It's perfectly fair, how do you think company's profits are determined? MS doesn't add IBM's bottom line and profit when doing their annual report after all

Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Wait, didn't Motorola come out withi phones that can go into a laptop dock?

The Atrix
  • Reply 155 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Actually I have more than a few of those scenarios as well... and there is one guy I can't truthfully move from his Win-Box, due to accounting software. ALTHOUGH, he has a Mac-mini in his future running Fusion or Parallels... he just doesn't know it yet

I should have been more careful about that suggestion: I have this wretched image in my brain that won't go away and has me ROFL and in tears every time I see it!

They say I have a strong resemblance to that "cave" man in the Geico commercials...

That should help focus the image in your brain
  • Reply 156 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The Atrix

Genius concept...not so great execution.
  • Reply 157 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qualar View Post

You are just plain rude.

Rude? Rude...

I'm the west coast distributor!
  • Reply 158 of 262
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Genius concept...not so great execution.

I wouldn't call the concept genius. It's not only common to combine technologies as they evolve, but natural. The problem, as you say, is the execution. If anyone can do this right it's Apple because they do control the HW and SW, and they already have a foundation OS that runs on multiple architectures and uses multiple UIs.

I would expect Apple has had Atrix-like devices in their labs for years that can switch between CocoaTouch and Aqua UIs simply by placing it in the proper docking bay. No screen flicker. No rudimentary mouse driven GUI reminiscent of Linux GUIs from the 90s.

So if I think Apple has long figured this out then why isn't it on the market? The answer to that is with all this Apple: Never release before its time. There is no market for the Atrix at this point even if the GUIs were good because the underlying HW simply isn't good enough to for it to be all things? but we're getting close. Cortex-A15 MC with an ImgTech GPU capable of powering a 27" ATD might just be when that threshold is met, but a 1GHz Tegra 2 isn't it.
  • Reply 159 of 262
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

I asked for 1 and you provided 0, so keep trying. Don't give me examples where an iPad is more convenient, that's not the point. I'm looking for something that only an iPad can do.

How about getting FAA approval for using the ipad as a replacement for paper maps. There are lots of places that the ipad is more capable and appropriate in use than a laptop including some of the uses you already discounted. Just because you can duct tape an accelerometer to a laptop doesn't make it as useful as something designed for it.
  • Reply 160 of 262
    Until my favorite free adult sites stop redirecting me to their mobile version where I have to pay....then they are not PCs!