Steve Wozniak on Microsoft Surface: 'Steve Jobs came back reincarnated at Microsoft'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 206
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member

Jobs would've never let this happen...

SurfaceCrash.gif

• Reply 22 of 206
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    slang4art wrote: »
     I believe Surface will hurt Microsoft so badly that Ballmer will depart in the next couple years. If it turns out great, it will be his saving grace. The likelihood of that happening, sadly, is quite low in my eyes.

I see the Surface has a last ditch effort to gain some traction in the tablet market (a market MS entered in the 1990s). I see it much like the Zune was a last ditch effort to use their 900 pound gorilla influence to gain some traction in the PMP market. This meant pissing off their Play4Sure OEMs but that wasn't a big deal because those vendors were already failing.

Of course, a key difference between then and now is that 1) MS's size pales in comparison to Apple's size and 2) losing the PMP market really only mean losing the internet music market from MS's PoV but losing Windows on tablets which are replacing PC sales for many will be a huge longterm issue for MS if the Surface doesn't work out. You didn't say that specifically but I have a feeling that is what you were eluding to in your post.

I'm not sure Ballmer will be gone in a couple years. I'd like him to be since I have a feeling he is the poison of many of their bad choices but if he's still there now I wonder if the board ever push him out. They have money and they have shown they have the ability to grow and adapt (e.g.: WinNT kernel on WinPh8 and Metro UI); I just hope they can fix their problems before it's too late.
  • Reply 23 of 206
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

This is why Woz is still a great guy  - he just loves good technology and he doesn't care who makes it.  He's the opposite of the kind of venom filled blind fanboys who infest the internet and spew their hatred against anything that isn't from their chosen camp. 

I'm looking forward to using a Surface for myself, as should anyone who is interested in technology.

• Reply 24 of 206
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I find it ironic that Woz mentioned a couple of years ago that he would be open to any invitations from Apple if they were so inclined to try and employ him.

You may wish to stop singing the praises of Android, Mike Daisy, and Microsoft if you wish that to happen, Woz...

Other than dating Kathy Griffiths he hasn't done anything of note for at least 30 years, so he's pretty much open to any and all job offers.  

That's why he's in the news a lot.  He's just another minor celebrity who never turns down a free lunch or a speaking engagement and will allow himself to be interviewed for anything from a high school newspaper to the National news.  Sad really, and this latest pronouncement just makes him look like an old fool.  He's naive enough to not even notice when others are using him to their own ends also.  

Both Wozniak and Jobs started out working their asses off in that garage, Steve was still working right up to the day he died, whereas Wozniak hasn't done anything at all with the rest of his life.  It escapes me why he is idolised so much.   

• Reply 25 of 206
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bobborries wrote: »
    Jobs would've never let this happen...

Steve had dozens of products crash on him onstage. I can only remember two instances in which he had to switch devices, though. And he probably didn't have to; he just did for expediency's sake.
  • Reply 26 of 206
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    .... And wrapping up tonight's Top Ten "Things you can't get away with saying, even if you're Woz". In at # 1....
  • Reply 27 of 206
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member

Woz needs to start taking his meds again.

• Reply 28 of 206
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

Wozniak has enough $$ to buy any and all gadgets he wants. His buying habits do not translate to the general public.

• Reply 29 of 206
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

This is why Woz is still a great guy  - he just loves good technology and he doesn't care who makes it.  He's the opposite of the kind of venom filled blind fanboys who infest the internet and spew their hatred against anything that isn't from their chosen camp. 

I'm looking forward to using a Surface for myself, as should anyone who is interested in technology.

There is an absolutely HUGE difference between "the surface is interesting, I'd like to play with one to see how it works," and "Steve jobs has been re-incarnated at Microsoft."  

He's a friendly, nice guy by all accounts so I can see why others rush to defend him, but seriously ... he's an idiot for saying this, and a bit of a clown overall.  

• Reply 30 of 206
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdjohn3 View Post

I don't think Woz has been quite right since the plane crash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wozniak#Airplane_crash

That's not the problem!

I had fairly regular contact with Woz before and after the accident.  He was a little spacey right after he got out of the hospital, but after a few weeks he was back to his normal self.

• Reply 31 of 206
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Other than dating Kathy Griffiths he hasn't done anything of note for at least 30 years, so he's pretty much open to any and all job offers.  

That's why he's in the news a lot.  He's just another minor celebrity who never turns down a free lunch or a speaking engagement and will allow himself to be interviewed for anything from a high school newspaper to the National news.  Sad really, and this latest pronouncement just makes him look like an old fool.  He's naive enough to not even notice when others are using him to their own ends also.  

Both Wozniak and Jobs started out working their asses off in that garage, Steve was still working right up to the day he died, whereas Wozniak hasn't done anything at all with the rest of his life.  It escapes me why he is idolised so much.   

Seriously?  You honestly think he hasn't done anything else with his life?

• Reply 32 of 206
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Woz has some problems IMHO.

haha I agree. He is a bit short of a byte. 

• Reply 33 of 206
    flowneyflowney Posts: 53member

Poor Woz. After DWTS, he's become incurably addicted to media attention.

• Reply 34 of 206
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidod315 View Post

What does Woz even do anymore? Apart from being an old face that's occasionally wheeled out for nostalgia?

Woz, since 2008, has been an investor and Chief Scientist of a cloud solutions company called Fusion-IO. How involved he is I don't exactly know and he may have been given the title just because of the amount he has invested. I've been told this is a hot, up and coming company because of the technology they offer, with Cisco, HP, Dell and a few other bigger companies using their unique solutions.

http://www.fusionio.com/company/management-team/

• Reply 35 of 206
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    It appears to me that since Jobs death, Woz has taken every bit of spotlight he can get, almost as if it's something he always wanted but could never get in Jobs shadow.

I don't expect the 'surface' to gain much marketshare. Likely around 5%, just like their phones.
  • Reply 36 of 206
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak quips Steve Jobs "came back reincarnated at Microsoft" referring to the Redmond-based company's recent design breakthroughs that have culminated in the new Surface, a tablet which sports a marriage of art and technology reportedly befitting of the late tech guru.

Dk13x copy.gif

• Reply 37 of 206
    kustardkingkustardking Posts: 106member
    I think it's more like they raised Jobs from the dead and have him propped up with electrodes in a cooled room. Some of his "new" ideas are coming in a little staticky, such as the "ARM...zzt..zzt...Windows..." stanza.

However, I think Jobs hit it on the head with the x86 model.
  • Reply 38 of 206
    jbh0001jbh0001 Posts: 80member
    (nevermind...)
  • Reply 39 of 206
    smallwheelssmallwheels Posts: 584member

The Microsoft Surface is the future of computing. Even if it fails as a device it is the direction all tablets are going. The Wacom was out a long time ago and so were the Slates. Tablet computers will be on par with laptops in the near future. From then on will be the battle between personal choices of tablet versus laptop. Many people now prefer having a keyboard for all of their input and others don't need one, thus; a rudimentary keyboard on the touch screen is good enough.

The track record of Microsoft and making hardware this complicated isn't good. They have learned lessons from their mistakes of the past. The Surface might actually work as advertised.

Woz is a tech junkie and he really should create a tech review site. He could become the most relevant reviewer almost instantly. As a guy who can actually understand and even build a high tech device he would have instant credibility.

I'm sure Woz could totally destroy the Surface if he gave it a bad review.

• Reply 40 of 206
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Woz, since 2008, has been an investor and Chief Scientist of a cloud solutions company called Fusion-IO. How involved he is I don't exactly know and he may have been given the title just because of the amount he has invested. I've been told this is a hot, up and coming company because of the technology they offer, with Cisco, HP, Dell and a few other bigger companies using their unique solutions.

http://www.fusionio.com/company/management-team/

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

Seriously?  You honestly think he hasn't done anything else with his life?

If he wishes his technology viewpoint to be taken seriously he may wish to sell a few of the cell phones that he owns and invest them in broadband for his house:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2143552/Apple-founder-Steve-Wozniak-admits-having-broadband-home--does-smartphone-market.html