Steve Wozniak on Microsoft Surface: 'Steve Jobs came back reincarnated at Microsoft'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 206
    tmhiseytmhisey Posts: 49member
    Poor Woz. His elevator just can't make it to the top floor. Modern computer design has passed his technical limit long ago and his sense of esthetics never did develop

Which you're able to observe because you're standing in the ground-floor lobby watching the numbers go up on all the elevators around you. Looking up from below is usually a pretty weak vantage point to hold when you're throwing stones.
  • Reply 62 of 206
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Other than dating Kathy Griffiths he hasn't done anything of note for at least 30 years, so he's pretty much open to any and all job offers.  

That's why he's in the news a lot.  He's just another minor celebrity who never turns down a free lunch or a speaking engagement and will allow himself to be interviewed for anything from a high school newspaper to the National news.  Sad really, and this latest pronouncement just makes him look like an old fool.  He's naive enough to not even notice when others are using him to their own ends also.  

Both Wozniak and Jobs started out working their asses off in that garage, Steve was still working right up to the day he died, whereas Wozniak hasn't done anything at all with the rest of his life.  It escapes me why he is idolised so much.   

Actually Woz has done quite a bit:

1) Technology:  In the mid 1980s he developed the CL-9 programmable universal remote control:

Cl-9 Core Remote.jpg

http://myoldmac.net/share/RC08_W/WOZ_CORE_CL9_RemoteControll.php

This was a pocket computer way ahead of its time.  It consisted of an Apple //c, RAM, ROM, LCD Display, KB, an OS, Timers, amplified IR, modem...  You could attach it to a Mac to program it.  It was also programmable through its KB or could learn [other remotes] through IR.  It was thinner and weighed less than the early iPods which came 16 years later.

2) Family:  He gifted each of his family members with multiple millions of dollars -- making each independently wealthy.

3) Humanitarian:  He supports the local Opera and Ballet.

4) Education:  Various contributions and participation (time and money) in k-12 education.

5) Charity:  Librally supports various charities.

6) Music/Entertainment:  Financed and provided personal backing to two US Festivals.

US.FEST.1983.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Festival

Through all of this, Woz has remained down to earth, approachable and helpful...  Woz never knew a stranger.

When my story is written, I would be proud to have accomplished 1/10 of what Woz has done!

• Reply 63 of 206
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

Well, if I had money to burn I'd buy one to just to say I had one.  The Surface has some interesting design qualities that can't be denied.  Even so, marketing and pricing are key to its success.  Unfortunately, MS already made enemies with this device of its OEMs.  Plus, the device crashing during a demo wasn't a good thing.  We'll see if this takes off when/if it becomes available.

• Reply 64 of 206
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    He carries 8 different phones around with him and so reporters think
    He knows what's good and bad and takes his word for it. Lol.
  • Reply 65 of 206
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmhisey View Post

Which you're able to observe because you're standing in the ground-floor lobby watching the numbers go up on all the elevators around you. Looking up from below is usually a pretty weak vantage point to hold when you're throwing stones.

You should quit defending the guy. Woz made a really retarded statement, and he's taking the flack for it now, deservedly so.

• Reply 66 of 206
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    jakeb wrote: »
    Wow. Does Woz have a grudge with Apple these days? It's one thing to say that Microsoft did a nice job, but this takes it to a whole new level.

I wonder the same things at times. Because his rate of WTF moments seems almost pathological
  • Reply 67 of 206

Woz is right!  Steve Jobs MUST have been reincarnated at Microsoft in order for the Surface to be getting any traction.   Definitely a case of the reality distortion field at play!

Plus we know that Woz waits in line at the Apple Store to get the latest stuff -- like for the new iPad he waited *overnight* at the Century City store.  And we know he won't be waiting overnight to get an i5 surface when it comes out next February or whatever -- brilliantly timed just after the 2012 Christmas buying season. Dudes!  You are dissing Steve Ballmer way too much -- especially when he is so obviously "Think Different".  Who would think of timing like that ?!?

• Reply 68 of 206
    "[Microsoft's latest products] have such a strikingly good visual appearance which is a lot of what Steve Jobs always looked for, the art and technology; the convergence of art and technology," Wozniak said.

This is a completely non-sensical statement from Woz and explains the complete disconnect he's had with Steve since the Mac was created. Steve doesn't look for a good visual appearance. The man always had the look he wanted when he worked on refinining the engineering necessary [with his teams] to create what he envisioned.

Drawn from your own close relationship with Steve Jobs, I presume? Closer than Wozniak's anyway, no doubt.

But I guess Woz is the one who read Steve Job's biography. What you might have come across in the process of educating yourself are Steve Jobs's own words, "...we've always tried to be at the intersection of Technology Street and Liberal Arts Street."

Is it that "convergence" isn't a good enough synonym for "intersection"? Or perhaps you're dissatisfied with "liberal arts" being replaced by "art"? I assume that you're ok with "technology" being used interchangeably with "technology" though, right?
  • Reply 69 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

2) Family:  He gifted each of his family members with multiple millions of dollars -- making each independently wealthy.

3) Humanitarian:  He supports the local Opera and Ballet.

4) Education:  Various contributions and participation (time and money) in k-12 education.

5) Charity:  Librally supports various charities.

6) Music/Entertainment:  Financed and provided personal backing to two US Festivals.

I'm not diminishing what Woz has accomplished in the past, but numbers 2 - 6 require zero talent or effort in my opinion. Anybody with money can accomplish those. Of course, he had the talent to acquire that money in the first place, but somebody just giving away money or donating money is not impressive in my view and pales in comparison to the actual work that he did when he was still involved in the tech business.

• Reply 70 of 206
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

That's not the problem!

I had fairly regular contact with Woz before and after the accident.  He was a little spacey right after he got out of the hospital, but after a few weeks he was back to his normal self.

Woz is such a prankster, surely we don't see this is yet another one of his sly jokes?

• Reply 71 of 206
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    For years his job has been to play the idiot brother. Move along, nothing to see here.
  • Reply 72 of 206
    This Wozzie IMO is a disgruntled X apple employee who blew it. He acts retarded and looks like a bloated buffoooooon.
  • Reply 73 of 206
    Apple II wrote: »
    You should quit defending the guy. Woz made a really retarded statement, and he's taking the flack for it now, deservedly so.

You or anyone else should feel completely free to criticize his comment/joke. I'm pretty sure that can be done however without the childish attacks on Woz, himself. Right? Glass houses and all that?

Like I've said, anyone who is insulting Woz really should bolster their own credibility first with a few bullet points of their own accomplishments so that we know the relevance of their opinion. After all, it's easy to google "steve wozniak" and get thousands of hits so we know all about him. The rest of you on here, not so much...
  • Reply 74 of 206
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey Burke View Post

This Wozzie IMO is a disgruntled X apple employee who blew it. He acts retarded and looks like a bloated buffoooooon.

He's just being a jokester, I think. He likes anything that tweaks the status quo (even when it makes no sense whatsoever).

• Reply 75 of 206
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm sorry to say, but Woz seems to be quite loony. I remember watching some video where he was talking about counterfeiting bills before and actually using them. 

Woz has not been involved with Apple for a long, long time and this statement about Steve Jobs coming back reincarnated at Microsoft is just pure wacky, not to mention offensive. Those ugly tablets with a kickstand? Really?

Woz is also the guy who likes some Android phones, so I don't really care about what Woz thinks. What was the last good thing that Woz actually was involved in, the Apple ][?

You should really learn to read.  He never counterfeit $2 bills.  Others thought he did, and he had an interesting chat with a Secret Service Agent (or FBI, forgot).

Also, liking some android phones is illegal, immoral or unethical nowadays?  WTF?  I swear some of you are worse than android fanbois.

• Reply 76 of 206
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well "anything" was used in the colloquial sense of course.  

[...]

A part of this perception is fuelled by the fact that the person he is easiest to compare to is Steve Jobs since they started out together and Steve Jobs kept right on doing all kinds of interesting world-shaking things for many years after they split.  That's a hard act to follow of course and hard to look good in comparison.    

You do realize he's been seriously involved in education, and used his own money to fund a school and helps them out from a technology point of view, etc etc, right?

• Reply 77 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmhisey View Post

You or anyone else should feel completely free to criticize his comment/joke. I'm pretty sure that can be done however without the childish attacks on Woz, himself. Right? Glass houses and all that?

Like I've said, anyone who is insulting Woz really should bolster their own credibility first with a few bullet points of their own accomplishments so that we know the relevance of their opinion. After all, it's easy to google "steve wozniak" and get thousands of hits so we know all about him. The rest of you on here, not so much...

Your particular line of defence is kind of silly, in my opinion. If somebody is a sports fan, are they not allowed to criticize an NBA player or a team, because the person criticizing has never played in the NBA?

I'm not the President of the USA, but does that mean that I can not criticize the President, because he has accomplished more than me, by simply being elected?

I don't care who makes retarded statements. If somebody makes a retarded statement, which Woz did in this case, then people have every right to criticize him for making that statement, regardless if the people criticizing have accomplished more or less than him. That's completely irrelevant. What is relevant is his retarded statement.

• Reply 78 of 206
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="tmhisey" url="/t/151179/steve-wozniak-on-microsoft-surface-steve-jobs-came-back-reincarnated-at-microsoft/40#post_2143310"]Drawn from your own close relationship with Steve Jobs, I presume? Closer than Wozniak's anyway, no doubt.[/QUOTe]

Uh, yeah. mdriftmeyer worked at NeXT.

Don't dish it if you don't know what's on the plate.
  • Reply 79 of 206
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Actually Woz has done quite a bit:

I said he was a great guy.  I meant "accomplishments" not a laundry list of his personal attributes.  

Lots of us are nice people that donate money and help out our families.  No one should really get kudos for such things, it's a given that we all should do them.  

In terms of concrete accomplishments in the field of technology though you'd be hard pressed to find anything other than the remote which was a market failure in that it never really got to market in a useable or saleable form.  

• Reply 80 of 206
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

You do realize he's been seriously involved in education, and used his own money to fund a school and helps them out from a technology point of view, etc etc, right?

Giving away money is not an "accomplishment."  

It's base actually.