Some users find scuffs, nicks on newly-purchased iPhone 5s [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 267
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Why does it seem like Apple can't release anything anymore without something being wrong with it? What happened to quality control?

Because 0.01% of 10 million is still 1,000. 

"Seems" is the correct word here.  

• Reply 22 of 267
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Really aI think the iPhone 4s design was very effective and cool.  Black on aluminum is not good.  It will show wear more than the original 4s.  At least the 4 and 4s were not painted or anodized a different color then the original aluminum.  Also the back of the 4s was glass.  Im my opinion glass was way more durable for wear than the painted or anodized color.  It takes more electrical energy to make aluminum than it does glass.  Glass is way more eco friendly than aluminum.  Only time glass is not eco Fridley is when it is coated with a material that makes it tossable only and cant be melted down for reuse.

• Reply 23 of 267
    I hear that a black magic marker will cover up that nick in no time at all. Are these people sure they didn't nick it themselves due to opening the box in a hurry? Apple's policy is if damage doesn't hurt the performance of the device, you're flat out of luck for free repairs.
  • Reply 24 of 267
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's all because of extortionatepricesgate.

Ah, Chinagate, thanks. There are a bunch of subgates for that.

And let's not forget "sell-out-gate" described by the Macalope over at MacWorld. Apple is being accused by the jerk punditry crowd of intentionally faking the availability of the iPhone 5 to generate marketing hype. So, in other words, Apple would rather withhold the most popular product on the face of the planet than actually sell as many as they can make. Pure evil genius according to these twits.

• Reply 25 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

One more for the last and only gate.  Apple Gate.

I kind of like Applegate tho. 

• Reply 26 of 267
    Translation: Weapons of the Weak.
  • Reply 27 of 267
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Really aI think the iPhone 4s design was very effective and cool.  Black on aluminum is not good.  It will show wear more than the original 4s.  At least the 4 and 4s were not painted or anodized a different color then the original aluminum.  Also the back of the 4s was glass.  Im my opinion glass was way more durable for wear than the painted or anodized color.  It takes more electrical energy to make aluminum than it does glass.  Glass is way more eco friendly than aluminum.  Only time glass is not eco Fridley is when it is coated with a material that makes it tossable only and cant be melted down for reuse.

So damned if they do and damned of they don't. Such are the travails of the most valuable company in the world. Nobody is happy. Everybody is mad. Apple is doomed.

• Reply 28 of 267

scuffgate?

Don't you have the right to return the product (within x days) and buy another one that you ask to check in the store before the purchase?

(I know it's inconvenient, I remember the last time, funny that it was a Samsung monitor I had to return because of scratches on the border.

Antennagate was different, you couldn't see the issue right out of the box. And before that phone, nobody had known that most other phones have had quite similar weaknesses.

This case must be below the margin of error, tech journalist should moderate themselves.

• Reply 29 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I hear that a black magic marker will cover up that nick in no time at all. Are these people sure they didn't nick it themselves due to opening the box in a hurry? Apple's policy is if damage doesn't hurt the performance of the device, you're flat out of luck for free repairs.

People should also realise that if you take it back to the store, even if they give you a "new" one it's actually a refurbished product (the first week of sales might be the only exception to that). So if you bought your iPhone unlocked at full price you might want to just deal with it instead of trying to take it back.  

• Reply 30 of 267
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member

A simple solution:

• Reply 31 of 267
    Jeez, those are tiny. Do people examine their phones under a loupe? Besides, that's what happens with anodized aluminum. The finish gets fairly easily scratched and shows the aluminum underneath. They'll look 10x worst after a week of use unless you put a case or zaggs-like protector on it. People bitching about maps I can kinda understand. Creating a hashtag for this? Yea, that's too much.
  • Reply 32 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Are these people sure they didn't nick it themselves due to opening the box in a hurry?

you mean that way in this video?

• Reply 33 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I kind of like Applegate tho. 

When I scrolled down and saw this I immediately had a craving for a milk shake and the strong desire to do something selfish.  MOMMY?

• Reply 34 of 267
    Yep. Knew it. Mapgate, Scuffgate, Tubegate, Sizegate, Portgate, Thingate. Apple is doomedgate.

Browettgate
  • Reply 35 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So damned if they do and damned of they don't. Such are the travails of the most valuable company in the world. Nobody is happy. Everybody is mad. Apple is doomed.

No it just makes sense.  When you have a metallic based device that is put into pockets with keys change and so on you will eventually see more damage or wear if that metal is painted or anodized.  It would have made more sense to not go with a black painted or anodized body on a phone that has a higher value.  I am not saying that Apple was wrong for their design.  I like the look and design.  I am just saying that in the long run the wear is gonna show more on a painted metallic smart phone than an actual anodized aluminum one with a glass back.  I personally would like to have an iPhone 5 knowing that it will show wear allot more than my 4s.

• Reply 36 of 267
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    It takes more electrical energy to make aluminum than it does glass.  Glass is way more eco friendly than aluminum.  Only time glass is not eco Fridley is when it is coated with a material that makes it tossable only and cant be melted down for reuse.

Does the production of glass require the use of electrical energy?

The heat of fusion of silicon is about 5x that of aluminum, how does it take more electricity to make aluminum than glass?
  • Reply 37 of 267

Originally Posted by msalganik View Post

They'll look 10x worst after a week of use unless you put a case or zaggs-like protector on it. People bitching about maps I can kinda understand. Creating a hashtag for this? Yea, that's too much.

Wait, what? That sounds backward. Maps will not only be "fixed", they'll surpass Google's efforts tenfold. This is damage. But I don't know HOW, since anodized aluminum's what my Mac Pro's of, and it's like the day out of the box.

• Reply 37 of 267
    sflocal wrote: »
    One drop in a jean's pocket with coins/keys or a woman's purse and you'll get the exact same thing!  I can understand one paying a pretty penny for a nice phone, but come on people!  Why do people expect absolute perfection?  It doesn't exist in nature, yet you demand that in a mass-produced product?

Bring your "perfect" product after using it in a week and lets compare.

Jeez, I can understand an obvious flaw, damage, etc... but the kind of "scuffs" seen in this picture is borderline drama-queen.

Before jumping on the apple consumer, majority flaws are seen out the box and not after 'wear and tear' as you have expressed. Apple followers expect near prefect, it is the standard that Steve, Tim and Apple employees have set to ensure superior quality and innovation.

Do not call us drama-queens, because Steve would have apologised, If he felt the quality is not near prefect.

I do agree the flaws are low in numbers, but you can not tell me as Apple fan, you wouldn't be little upset to see your new iPhone is less than prefect. You have every right too has a individual.

That's why we have return/replacemenr policies, second to no other company.
  • Reply 39 of 267
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Happy to hear I'm not the only one.  I have the smallest little "nick" from what looks like the last touch of the diamond tipped drill on one of the beveled edges.

I have already sent Tim Cook an email regarding it. 

It has been my experience, that any comment sent directly to Tim is sent to his group and someone has always contacted me within 24-48 hours.

Eric H.

So you've complained to Tim Cook multiple times? Nothing like being OCD and demanding.

I can understand having something happen once that needs to be brought to Cook's attention, but if you've complained several times, you're being fanatical about silly things.
    That's all because of extortionatepricesgate.

The only problem with that is that Apple's products are, by and large, very competitively priced with comparable items.
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Does the production of glass require the use of electrical energy?
    The heat of fusion of silicon is about 5x that of aluminum, how does it take more electricity to make aluminum than glass?

You're not looking at the whole process.

First, glass isn't made of silicon, it's made of silicon dioxide with other components. That aside, in making glass, you're essentially digging sand out of the ground, blending it with other chemicals that you dug out of the ground, and then melting it. Most of the energy is in melting the materials.

For aluminum, OTOH, you're digging aluminum out of the ground as bauxite (a complicated aluminum oxide compound). You have to chemically break those aluminum/oxygen bonds - and breaking bonds takes a lot more energy than simply melting something.
  • Reply 40 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

One drop in a jean's pocket with coins/keys or a woman's purse and you'll get the exact same thing!  I can understand one paying a pretty penny for a nice phone, but come on people!  Why do people expect absolute perfection?  It doesn't exist in nature, yet you demand that in a mass-produced product?

Bring your "perfect" product after using it in a week and lets compare.

Jeez, I can understand an obvious flaw, damage, etc... but the kind of "scuffs" seen in this picture is borderline drama-queen.

Well, yes, but how many people keep a woman's purse in their jeans' pocket?