Samsung unwraps Galaxy Note 8.0 to take on Apple's iPad mini

Comments

• Reply 21 of 173

I spotted a mistake in my comment. What i meant to say was. Audi wouldn't be making cars if it wasn't for Daimler but neither would if it wasn't for Henry Ford. Hope that makes more sense. 

• Reply 22 of 173
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

In other words, (artists make up) somewhere between 0.067% and 0.3% of the population.

That's a very tiny market to pursue. 

There are 1 billion smartphone users in the WORLD.  The max ratio of 0.3% would be 3 million buyers.

However, the first Note sold over 10 million, with the Note 2 expected to  top that, by perhaps up to double.

Obviously more than just artists make up the people buying the Note.  For example, there have been news stories about executives using pens to annotate PDFs and then send them to their teams. I've also seen reports of field contractors using them to take notes on construction diagrams.

Personally, I used to use a stylus all the time on my old WinMo smartphones, to draw diagrams and take notes before going to Home Depot to buy materials.   I also used to jot down circuit ideas.  Sometimes it's just easier for anyone to scribble down info, or draw a picture, rather than have to type it in.

• Reply 23 of 173

Have some fun and Google the Galaxy Tab 7......... and remember what a brick that that thing is....

• Reply 24 of 173

Have some fun and Google a Galaxy Tab 7..................... and recognize what a brick that thing is............

• Reply 25 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Auen View Post

Have some fun and Google a Galaxy Tab 7..................... and recognize what a brick that thing is............

My mother has one of those. Its not that bad really, yes its android and its a small screen but for her its perfect. 

• Reply 26 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

I spotted a mistake in my comment. What i meant to say was. Audi wouldn't be making cars if it wasn't for Daimler but neither would if it wasn't for Henry Ford. Hope that makes more sense. 

Not really, since Karl Benz invented the automobile?

• Reply 27 of 173
    It runs Android, has a stylus pen, is made of plastic and will be cheaper than the iPad Mini, so now Samsung will be touted as having the best mini-tablet in the world because Apple has failed to innovate. Wall Street already thinks Samsung is a better company than Apple because Samsung knows how to stuff inventory. Good for Samsung. Bad for Apple. This Galaxy Note seems like it would be a useful product, but does everything Samsung makes have to be compared to some Apple product.
  • Reply 28 of 173
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bondm16 wrote: »
    I don't wish to sound critical but saying that Samsung wouldn't be making any tablets in any size, if it wasn't for the iPad is like saying Audi wouldn't be making cars if it wasn't for Henry Ford. The iPad was not the first tablet.  Anyone remember this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1381528/Knight-Ridder-tablet-looks-just-like-iPad-17-YEARS-OLD.html

This is my first post in a discussion so forgive me if ive done something wrong.

Nice try. We've all seen that pic, and all of us (here at least) know full well that tablets existed before the iPad.
  • Reply 29 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Obviously more than just artists make up the people buying the Note.

Obviously people use a tablet for more than art. What's your point?

I was simply responding empirically a to specific point stelligent made about the potential market for the Note among artists.....

• Reply 30 of 173

Quote:

Not really, since Karl Benz invented the automobile?

Oh, I've just looked it up...your right...my bad. LOL. They do say though that it was the Austin 7 that finally had all the controls in the right place. Anyway back to the topic at hand.

• Reply 31 of 173
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Well they wouldn't be mass producing them at least, which is what Ford is credited for.
  • Reply 32 of 173
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I don't wish to sound critical but saying that Samsung wouldn't be making any tablets in any size, if it wasn't for the iPad is like saying Audi wouldn't be making cars if it wasn't for Henry Ford. The iPad was not the first tablet.  Anyone remember this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1381528/Knight-Ridder-tablet-looks-just-like-iPad-17-YEARS-OLD.html

This is my first post in a discussion so forgive me if ive done something wrong.

What a horrible argument on so many levels. If you are going to lay claim that Apple hasn't created anything with the iPad and want to use a concept video of a never designed or built product at least use a concept that is older than 1994. Like Star Trek or many decades of sci-fi that describe a computer in something the size and weight of a notebook.

Or how about using actual tablets that existed for more than two decades before the iPad; efore that 1994 concept video was made. You not only have 2 decades of failed Win tablets by various OEMs but Apple's own Newton which shipped in 1993.
  • Reply 33 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What a horrible argument on so many levels. If you are going to lay claim that Apple hasn't created anything with the iPad and want to use a concept video of a never designed or built product at least use a concept that is older than 1994. Like Star Trek or many decades of sci-fi that describe a computer in something the size and weight of a notebook.

Sorry its my first time posting. Do you mean like the tablet feature in 2001 A Space Odyssey? 

• Reply 34 of 173
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

One minor thing I like, is that Samsung has already brought back a feature that top smartphones used to have :

An IR blaster.

Samsung smartphones used to come with a built-in remote control app for TVs, VCRs, music players, etc.  Then when the iPhone came out without it, everyone dropped IR for a while, because Apple didn't have it.  Everyone thought that media players would switch to WiFi or Bluetooth control.

Now, years later, most people still have TVs and DVRs controlled by IR remotes, so it's still nice  to have a remote control app sometimes.

(Heh heh.  I used to use my smartphone to control TVs in bars.)

• Reply 35 of 173

Quote:

Or how about using actual tablets that existed for more than two decades before the iPad; efore that 1994 concept video was made. You not only have 2 decades of failed Win tablets by various OEMs but Apple's own Newton which shipped in 1993.

Guess I better do my homework in future. Hope I haven't caused any offence. 

• Reply 36 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

Besides punctuation errors and blatant trolling, no; you haven't done anything wrong.

• Reply 37 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Besides punctuation errors and blatant trolling, no; you haven't done anything wrong.

Trolling? Im sorry but I dont think I have.

• Reply 38 of 173
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Sorry its my first time posting. Do you mean like the tablet feature in 2001 A Space Odyssey? 

That's another good one.

The problem is saying that a logical and obvious prediction should get credit for the invention. How thick, heavy, fast is the iPad today? If I predict it will get thinner, lighter, and faster in the future do I start receiving checks from Apple and get lauded as some brilliant engineer? Of course not.

Also remember that Apple started iOS as a tablet project but then moved to the iPhone, and then back to a tablet. Being first in technology without consideration for usability because the tech simply isn't capable usually leads to a failed product. Again, look at the actual tablet market before the iPad.

carthusia wrote: »

This doesn't sound like trolling to me. A troll who just started posting would make a claim and then no longer post or get belligerent at any counter-arguments.

Welcome to the forum, Bondm16.
  • Reply 39 of 173

Quote:

That's another good one.

The problem is saying that a logical and obvious prediction should get credit for the invention. How thick, heavy, fast is the iPad today? If I predict it will get thinner, lighter, and faster in the future do I start receiving checks from Apple and get lauded as some brilliant engineer? Of course not.

Also remember that Apple started iOS as a tablet project but then moved to the iPhone, and then back to a tablet. Being first in technology without consideration for usability because the tech simply isn't capable usually leads to a failed product. Again, look at the actual tablet market before the iPad.

I think i saw a video on you tube of Steve Jobs actually saying that the ipad was made first and he saw it and said something on the lines of..."Hey this would be great on a mobile phone..lets do that."   Thanks for the welcome SolipsismX.

• Reply 40 of 173
    isn't this just one of their phones?