Samsung unwraps Galaxy Note 8.0 to take on Apple's iPad mini

Comments

• Reply 121 of 173
    galbi wrote: »
    This tablet can do true multitasking: side by side apps running at the same time. 

You cant do that in any of the the iOS software. 

Even Microsoft's Windows 8 cant properly run two SAME SIZE windows next to each other like this Samsung can. 

Not only that, you can dynamically adjust the screen sizes for each apps. 

If the Galaxy Note II is any indication, this should also run up to 16 apps AT ONE TIME. 

That is innovation. 

When you're tablets apps are just blown up smartphone apps I guess it does make sense to run them at a smartphone size so why not have two at once.

16 apps on the screen at once. What a brilliant idea¡
  • Reply 122 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hadn't noticed the protrusion. I wonder if it's included in Samsung's statement of how thick it is.

Samsung hasn't included the extra camera thickness in the past e.g. Galaxy S II.

• Reply 123 of 173
    hftshfts Posts: 386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Then you seriously need to check your 'hearing'/reading comprehension if pointing out that someone is TROLLING is considered a 'personal attack', as then you should have been reprimanded/banned years ago, as should some 90% of the hostile/bitter posters in this place who have absolutely no respect for the opinions of others. see: hfts.

So Please... Keep your own 'personal attacks' directed at those who are actually guilty rather than unjustly aiming your inane vitriol at those who are respectfully contributing to the conversation. Thanks

Anyway... Looking forward to all recognizing that the iPad Mini can also make 'calls', just in iOS' case they're FaceTime Calls.

You lie. You have been caught out countless times with your trolling, and they (the Mods) let you get away with it.

You are right in one way, I don't have any respect for your comments.

Either prove your BS, or crawl away.

• Reply 124 of 173
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

Quote:

When you're tablets apps are just blown up smartphone apps I guess it does make sense to run them at a smartphone size so why not have two at once.

16 apps on the screen at once. What a brilliant idea¡

Since Apple is always regarded as the "brilliant" and "innovative" company, why did'nt they come up with it at first? 

It's proven that multi-tasking improves productivity and saves time. That is why people at work have multiple monitors to keep track of different things all at the same time. 

On this tablet, you can watch movies (both stream and SD card on a "pop up window" similar to a PIP window in TV's) while surfing the internet and checking email, all at the same time. Not even Google came up with this system on their OS. This is strictly a Samsung thing. 

Multitasking on a tablet is pushing boundaries = innovation. 

Stop trying to brush it off as something that isnt innovative. Credit needs to be given where its due. 

Your response would be 180 degrees from the above given statement if this same feature was available on the Apple's product in the first place. At least, acknowledge that. Then I'll let this one fly by. 

• Reply 125 of 173
    Since Apple is always regarded as the "brilliant" and "innovative" company, why did'nt they come up with it at first? 

It's proven that multi-tasking improves productivity and saves time. That is why people at work have multiple monitors to keep track of different things all at the same time. 

Stop trying to brush it off as something that isnt innovative. Credit needs to be given where its due. 

Your response would be 180 degrees from the above given statement if this same feature was available on the Apple's product in the first place. At least, acknowledge that. Then I'll let this one fly by. 

1) iOS has has multitasking since day 1.

2) Being first with a poorly contrived implementation is not innovation.

3) Apple had side-by-side and overlapping apps (something XEROX-PARC didn't have) many decades ago so your claims that Samsung is first to ever consider such a thing is pretty fucking weak.

4) If Apple does something I think works I'll comment as such just as I do when I think Google, Samsung, et al. Make good strides in a market. As usual you've made a superficial comment that shows nothing innovative, clever or unique, nor show any evidence that having say, two shrinking iPhone apps on a iPhone would be a goo thing for customers.
  • Reply 126 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

On this tablet, you can watch movies (both stream and SD card on a "pop up window" similar to a PIP window in TV's) while surfing the internet and checking email, all at the same time. Not even Google came up with this system on their OS. This is strictly a Samsung thing. 

Yes, but not with phone apps on a tablet whose differentiator is a pen and despite having 4 cortex a9 at 1.5 and 2gb of ram, has basic lag and is utterly destroyed in real world usage by a device with half the cores and a fourth of the ram.

Then, i can bend it with my hands. How's that? I actually do love vanilla Android, and it's a well known fact that almost every single knowledgeable android user hates what Samsung does software wise.

They have this policy of enabling certain features/mimics just to please people like you on situations like these. Meanwhile, they don't update their devices, they can't fix lag problems, they provide very bad software, etc.

There's 0 innovation here, even with 5000 patents each year. It's a corrupt company after all. 

• Reply 127 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I don't think that only metallic casing confers quality. Plus, Samsung is striving for a uniform design in the Galaxy "family". But the mini is superior in quality all around. The innovation is its design and manufacturing, which is just completely neglected by the technorati. Shame.

Apple's use of the metal case is part of the company's determination to build thin but rigid devices and laptops. Torquing of the case during use is the major background cause of other manufacture's lower all around reliability and lower product useful lifetime. So, metallic plastic can make the Samsung "appear" as a quality product, but does not impart that actually to the product. 

I believe Apple is in the market for the long haul and not to make a quick kill. Long term success comes from actual quality products; especially to organizations that will own hundreds or thousands. 

• Reply 128 of 173
    Samsung ever unhappy with basic Android has modified it to do clever things with the stylus, virtually ensuring from the outset that OS upgrades will be far and few between. An orphaned device from the outset.
  • Reply 129 of 173
    Samsung ever unhappy with basic Android has modified it to do clever things with the stylus, virtually ensuring from the outset that OS upgrades will be far and few between. An orphaned device from the outset.

As I recall Samsung has been very good about updating their Note products. They're not Appple level updates but for an Android-based vendor they are great. Selling double digit millions certainly makes that an easier pill to swallow.

They also included APIs so apps could get onboard with supporting the digitizer. That's commendable and I think a big part of the reason these expensive phablets are selling well in certain parts of the world. No other Android-based vendor is doing as much.
  • Reply 130 of 173

You can not do that in any of the the iOS software.  

lol, iPhone OS 3.2. The first revision of this app actually had separate windows that you could drag around. I wish I had kept the IPA file of that, but oh well.

If the Galaxy Note II is any indication, this should also run up to 16 apps AT ONE TIME. 

That is innovation.

Ooh, you hear that? It's the Why Should Anyone Care Express, right on time. Choo choo!

Seriously, why does this matter? I can run infinity apps at once on my iDevice. It takes just as long to switch between them as it does on this Samsung thing. Why do I want my games running in the background? Why do I want apps wasting cycles in the background when switching to them is just as fast?!

And how is multitasking innovation on Samsung's part? Ha!

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Either prove your BS, or crawl away.

It should be fairly simple to out his errors if he's this wrong.

• Reply 131 of 173

Quote:

It's NOT innovative to support such wild capability as watching a movie and surfing the net at the same time... It's stupidity. Such capability is battery sucking and not what makes the portability experience best. No wonder the Samsung table weighs more, it needs a bigger battery. 

Apple stripped a lot of multitasking out of OSX to make iOS agile and less battery hungry. Apple didn't go for glitzy specs that impress geeks, they went for simplicity of use and portability away from a power outlet. I can listen to music until my phone rings, not both. I can listen to music while surfing the net or reading a book, I can watch a movie until my phone rings and not miss a scene when I hang up the phone. Apple supports multitasking when it makes sense to the user.

• Reply 132 of 173

Quote:

1) iOS has has multitasking since day 1.

2) Being first with a poorly contrived implementation is not innovation.

3) Apple had side-by-side and overlapping apps (something XEROX-PARC didn't have) many decades ago so your claims that Samsung is first to ever consider such a thing is pretty fucking weak.

4) If Apple does something I think works I'll comment as such just as I do when I think Google, Samsung, et al. Make good strides in a market. As usual you've made a superficial comment that shows nothing innovative, clever or unique, nor show any evidence that having say, two shrinking iPhone apps on a iPhone would be a goo thing for customers.

You're not arguing against his points here.  He's referring specifically to side-by-side windows running different apps on a tablet as a native part of the OS.  Beyond that, being the first with any implementation is innovation.  Making that idea work better in the future is refinement.

• Reply 133 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

It's NOT innovative to support such wild capability as watching a movie and surfing the net at the same time... It's stupidity. Such capability is battery sucking and not what makes the portability experience best. No wonder the Samsung table weighs more, it needs a bigger battery. 

Apple stripped a lot of multitasking out of OSX to make iOS agile and less battery hungry. Apple didn't go for glitzy specs that impress geeks, they went for simplicity of use and portability away from a power outlet. I can listen to music until my phone rings, not both. I can listen to music while surfing the net or reading a book, I can watch a movie until my phone rings and not miss a scene when I hang up the phone. Apple supports multitasking when it makes sense to the user.

Would it be equally stupid to run your email in one window and a browser or a map in the other window?  That sounds like it could be pretty productive.

• Reply 134 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

lol, iPhone OS 3.2. The first revision of this app actually had separate windows that you could drag around. I wish I had kept the IPA file of that, but oh well.

That is a standalone app that lets you choose between a limited number of other applications to run together.  Samsung's solution is built into the OS.  Obviously Samsung is not the first company to realize that two windows can be viewed at the same time, but there isn't another mobile OS that offers the same functionality as a part of the system (Windows 8 doesn't allow equal window sizes as far as I know).

• Reply 135 of 173
    dbhdbh Posts: 41member

this multi window is one of those things i don't understand.. trying to do so but if given an example of a movie and texting done altogether, it causes more confusion to me... personally, i would rather have the movie paused before doing anything else... if it was a different show, say, a cooking one where i want to get the recipe, then it would be useful as i will have the show playing on and the notepad app running as well and me taking down notes.. however... most of those cooking shows would have their own website and recipes are already posted.. so apart from my example i really couldn't find any combination that'll will benefit the user..

furthermore i only have 2 eyes.. unfortunately for me, i can only use my 2 eyes at the same time focusing on just one object... i find some Samsung users lucky as they seem to have each of their eye be looking at 2 different things at the same time..
  • Reply 136 of 173
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

Better be priced at least $100 less than the mini if it wants any traction at all. And why no Retina level display? Where is the innovation? Oh yeah, those criticisms are reserved for Apple.

I don't know how much a spec is in terms of an innovation.  A screen size to me wouldn't classify as an innovation.  Certain functionality does, IF it's functionality that drastically changes things.  I don't see any drastic anything other than just a bigger screen sized Note, which only is going to sell about 10 to 12 million units in a 12 month period, which isn't that many.

I don't know what Samsung is doing other than just having all of these different sized versions of essentially the same thing.

• Reply 137 of 173
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
  • Reply 138 of 173

Quote:

<...>

<...>

Sorry to be pedantic, but I think there is a mistake here. Multitask refers to parallelism capability, on the device (HW/SW) side. It is not necessarily associated to multiwindow.

For example, iTunes can run several tasks in parallel. These tasks have of course been launched by the user, but not at the same time (although they execute in parallel), and without a need for separate windows displayed at once.

« Multithread » is the right expression to designate parallelism on the user input side (= i.e. within the user's brain, not within the computer).

Indeed, although we are inherently limited by human body design (we only have two hands , etc …) , a user may run several courses of actions at the same time (e g talk on the Phone and drive his car (although it is forbidden in most countries).

The degree of such multithread capabilities may vary, according to the intellectual capabilities of the user, as well as his degree of training (most extreme case being probably the fighter pilots).

Such multithread capabilities increase mental workload/stress, and, apart from exceptional cases (yes, a fighter pilot must at the same time run its plane, check whether he is attacked, and possibly attack) cannot be justified in normal cases, since the popular wisdom says that if you try to do too many things at once, you just fail at all ...

In the example you mention, there is multitask (all monitors are refreshed in parallel), but no true multithread (the user does not interact within all these windows at once). Without this capability, you cannot claim multitask alone increases his productivity. His productivity depends on his agility to focus from one window to another (the fact that they are displayed in parallel being a necessary, but not sufficient condition for this).

If your point was to advocate for multi window capability only on a portable device, it is weakened by the fact that you use an example where you do not just have multiple windows, but multiple monitors, which is different ....

• Reply 139 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

... And does it only come in girly white?

Would I be right in thinking that your iDevice is in super-heterosexual-masculine black? I mean you wouldn't want people to think that you were ... well, you know ...

• Reply 140 of 173

Higher resolution than the Mini.  That was easy.

Come on Apple, you're not going to let this little punk Samsung walk all over you, are you?  Don't call your lawyers, call your engineers and tell them they will not see the sun until an iPad Retina Mini is in production.  Do it!