Samsung unwraps Galaxy Note 8.0 to take on Apple's iPad mini

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 173
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Samsung make the Note a smartphone because it can get generous subsidy from the carriers to make it look like a cheap deal to users.  I doubt most Note users actually use it for a phone.  I think it is much better to use a cellular capable tablet together with a feature phone.  In this aspect I think Apple should introduce a cheap feature phone that is tightly integrated will the iPad instead of a cheap iPhone. 

• Reply 162 of 173
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    A giant phone with a giant phone BILL.

No thanks.

The data only iPad mini would be a far, far cheaper solution. Though truth be told i've used my iPad's cellular data capability a whopping three times since I received it shortly after it's release so my next iPad isn't going to bother: that's what my iPhone is for,
  • Reply 163 of 173
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    A giant phone with a giant phone BILL.

No thanks.

The data only iPad mini would be a far, far cheaper solution. Though truth be told i've used my iPad's cellular data capability a whopping three times since I received it shortly after it's release so my next iPad isn't going to bother: that's what my iPhone is for,

I think I'm going to cancel my Verizon shared plan to save $10/month and just tether from my Verizon iPhone as needed. Since last June my iPad says it's only registered about 500MB over cellular. Ad next time I'll likely consider a WiFi only model, as well as only 16GB as barely use any of my 64GB as it is.
  • Reply 164 of 173
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

To paraphrase Steve Jobs, "if you see a stylus, they blew it."

Of course, if you really, truly want a stylus for your iPad or iPad mini, there are umpteen third-party styli available.  Most of which are excellent.  Knock yourself out.

• Reply 165 of 173
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sockrolid wrote: »

Of course, if you really, truly want a stylus for your iPad or iPad mini, there are umpteen third-party styli available.  Most of which are excellent.  Knock yourself out.

But it's still just interacting with a capacitance display, not a digitizer.

I think Steve's quote is more simplistic than he probably intended for the long run. I don't think he meant to imply that the finger is better for every task that a stylus could do, but that the primary interaction should be your fingers and not be reliant upon a stylus. I hope that Apple does incorporate a digitizer once 1) the price comes down (look at Galaxy Note MSRPs), 2) power level is low enough to make it feasible (this appears to already be here), and 3) there are APIs that make this integrate well with the OS and App Store apps to make it as seamless as being able to scribe a math equation and then flip a page in a workbook.
  • Reply 166 of 173
    spacerays wrote: »
    <span style="font-family:Georgia;font-size:15px;line-height:23px;background-color:rgb(248,248,248);">" Samsung already has devices in sizes 1.5, 1.8, 1.9, 2, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.8, 3, 3.1, 3.2, 3.5, 3.7, 4, 4.3, 4.5, 4.7, 4.8, 5.0, 5.3, 5.5, 5.8, 7.0, 7.7, 8.9, and 10.1. Why not add another to the pile. Talk about fragmentation :P "

" It isn't fragmentation, it's consumer choice. "

(Oh my ...)</span>
    It looks like they need fillers for 1 inch, 6.2 inch, 8 inch (now coming), 9.5 inch, 10.5 inch up, proably all coming soon at Samsung rate, yet apple has them at 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4, 7.9, 9.7 inch which makes them a lot more standard on there sizes
  • Reply 167 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by .....

Is Samsung incapable of ever coming up with an original idea?!

This is Samsung actually offering something *different* and I applaud them for it. These pen-based devices are what artists have been begging for and Apple has seemed less than interested in stepping up to the plate. The Note 8 does not resemble the iPad mini in anything beyond general shape of the form factor. The unoriginal thing in this thread is the typical fanboy responses like the one quoted. It's a joke reading comments like these.

• Reply 168 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I'm sorry, but this is simply inaccurate.

Look at the tip of a Wacom pen and compare that to the synthetic fingertips you're calling styluses. I've never met an artist that finds these multitouch styluses even adequate let alone "excellent". Those nipple pens are for casual users, they at best provide an experience slightly better than what people expect from *CAPACITIVE* input. A pen digitizer is completely different technology from multitouch and offers much more control and accuracy. You cannot emulate this with current multitouch technology. As someone that owns a Cintiq and iPad, I can tell you there is no comparison. Samsung's S-Pen is not wacom quality (yet) but, with some adjustment, it's getting closer and I expect it will continue to improve.

• Reply 169 of 173
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

There are many times I wished I could have two windows side by side on the iPad.  They both don't need to be running, but I do need to see what is on the screen of both.  Having to switch back and forth between two apps is a PITA.

Yes.  There are many times that side by side windows are handy.  Just look at all the dual window browsers in the App Store.  Also...

• Referencing web sites, emails, photos, documents, etc, while writing another document or email, are common examples.   

• Heck, there are many times when I post to a forum, and need to reference notes with links and charts.

• When thunderstorms are coming, I often keep a window open with the weather radar, so I know when to prepare for power outages.

• Being able to watch TV in one side, or a remote baby room viewer, while doing something else in another, would also be nice.

I think that the next big things in tablets will be more tiled multitasking, and more multi-user support for families / work.

• Reply 170 of 173

Making a different size of something isn't an original idea.

• Reply 171 of 173
    "Samsung make the Note a smartphone because it can get generous subsidy from the carriers "
    Not being as dominant they actually have to give the user what they want, not what they are told they need..

Phablets are where its at.
    Yup, 'Watch' the future on this.
  • Reply 172 of 173

I think Samsung will get the price right, because at this point their main competitor isn't the iPad mini really, it's the Nexus 7. If I were going to get a small tablet, I'd take a serious look at the Nexus 7. It's light, it's slick, it's got an OK screen, and it's over $100 less than the iPad mini. If all you want to do is some basic media consumption, why pay more? So, that's the market the Samsung device is entering. They need to come in at or below the Nexus 7.

• Reply 173 of 173
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

A European dealer claimed he was told it would be about the same price as the iPad mini.

With the Wacom digitizer built in, I don't think it would be sold as low as the Nexus 7 can be.

It'll be interesting to see.