Samsung unwraps Galaxy Note 8.0 to take on Apple's iPad mini

Comments

• Reply 61 of 173
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    Stylus is much more natural than finger. I cannot say for others, but much as I am concerned, I'd always rather scribble with "pen" than finger. Regardless of being or not being an artist.

So you type on a physical or virtual keyboard with a stylus? You use a trackpad with a stylus? You ring doorbells with a stylus? Are you flicking me off right now with a stylus? You recreate the clay modeling scene in Ghost, not with your hands, but with a stylus? You play piano with a stylus? You touch yourself at night with a stylus?

It's so much more natural than using fingers¡… which are still required to hold a stylus… naturally.
  • Reply 61 of 173
    dunks wrote: »

I would have said the distinguishing feature is the fugly camera optics protruding from the (otherwise flush) back.

I hadn't noticed the protrusion. I wonder if it's included in Samsung's statement of how thick it is.
  • Reply 63 of 173
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I would have said the distinguishing feature is the fugly camera optics protruding from the (otherwise flush) back.

Pretty much requires a case to make the back flush, otherwise it would seem like it could be a bit wobbly when placed on a flat surface. Lots of people use cases on their tablets so it is not necessarily a deal breaker. Longer lenses generally take better pictures than a super short lens which is perhaps why they designed it like that. I think they also use that same protruding design on some of their phones.

• Reply 64 of 173
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

a stylus-enabled Galaxy Note 8.0 that the South Korean conglomerate hopes will finally make inroads in the mini tablet sector that it arguably pioneered years ago.

I'm sorry, this is an idiotic statement. You don't "pioneer" an en existing concept at a slightly smaller size. There's nothing pioneerish about that. Also, it's not called pioneering if you don't make a dent in the marketplace, and your product fails. Which Samsung's tablets have done so far. Samsung releases stuff for the sake of releasing- they throw all the half-baked shit they can at the wall, all sizes, hoping something sticks- there's nothing commendable about this, nor is it called pioneering.

This place seems to give Samsung way, way too much credit in all the language it uses in its articles, as well as sketchy stats. 

• Reply 65 of 173
    slurpy wrote: »
    I'm sorry, this is an idiotic statement. You don't "pioneer" an en existing concept at a slightly smaller size. There's nothing pioneerish about that. Also, it's not called pioneering if you don't make a dent in the marketplace, and your product fails. Which Samsung's tablets have done so far. Samsung releases stuff for the sake of releasing- they throw all the shit they can at the wall, all sizes, hoping something sticks- there's nothing commendable about this.  This place seems to give Samsung way, way too much credit in all the language it uses in its articles, as well as sketchy stats. 

I wouldn't call this pioneering in any way but the Galaxy Note product category has sold relatively well. Not Apple sales but impressive numbers for such an expensive Android-based device.
  • Reply 66 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This place seems to give Samsung way, way too much credit in all the language it uses in its articles, as well as sketchy stats. 

Agreed. Especially the part about sketchy stats.

Perhaps somewhat understandable, given all the advertising they get from Samsung......

• Reply 67 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

I don't wish to sound critical but saying that Samsung wouldn't be making any tablets in any size, if it wasn't for the iPad is like saying Audi wouldn't be making cars if it wasn't for Henry Ford. The iPad was not the first tablet.  Anyone remember this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1381528/Knight-Ridder-tablet-looks-just-like-iPad-17-YEARS-OLD.html

This is my first post in a discussion so forgive me if ive done something wrong.

Easier said than done.

Where is the touch interface?  The operating system?  The AppStore, The retina display?

Where is the iCloud ecosystem for audio/video media, FaceTime, Siri, AirPlay, TextBooks, Mapping, NewsPapers and Magazines?

Everyone remembers that Microsoft had several thick and heavy stylus based tablets that went nowhere.

,,,because it is easier said than done.

You can not compare these things with the iPad.

The iPhone and iPad were the first of their kind as demonstrated by their wild success.

• Reply 68 of 173
    You guys implying AI is pro-Samsung? There's a spy among us!
  • Reply 69 of 173
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,731member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I call it a camera nipple.

• Reply 70 of 173
    Finally an 8 inch tablet that's good. The iPad Mini is dreadful. I wasted $329 on a useless tablet that doesn't even have a stylus. I can't wait to buy this!

THAT'S TROLLING!
  • Reply 71 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I call it a camera nipple.

It is sort of a weird design. As we know designing an ultra-thin, light mobile device with touch-based OS creates a series of challenges and compromises. Apple makes compromises and so does Samsung. They just choose different areas where they are compromising. Apple puts their camera along the upper edge area utilizing the void so not to conflict with the thickness of the screen thus accommodating the lens depth they need, but the compromise is that it tends to be an awkward place for the lens as the users' fingers often are in the photography frame. Samsung's design although adding more thickness puts the lens nearer the center of the device similar to traditional cameras. The trade off is that you have to live with the less than elegant esthetics.

These are conscious design decisions that both companies make weighing the pluses and minuses. 

I think the same thing applies to the stylus. Samsung has decided that the overall benefits of the stylus such precision pointing and drawing outweigh the negatives of possibly misplacing the stylus and also providing onboard space to store it.

• Reply 72 of 173
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I think it is unfair for AT&T and Verizon to subsidize Galaxy Note 2 so much and without subsidize iPad with cellular at all. I don't have good impression of these two carriers.
  • Reply 73 of 173
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is a great place to learn how to do that and I think his replies so far have shown clearly he is open to what others have to say.

The way this place has been the last few years I can't help but jump to the conclusion when seeing a post like the above (apologies to the poster if genuine) is using the "naive troll" persona.

• Reply 74 of 173
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Looks like Samsung had their specs finalized before the iPad mini was launched because they didn't copy the iPad mini's narrow left and right borders. Expect Samsung to copy that in the Galaxy Note 9.
  • Reply 75 of 173
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hadn't noticed the protrusion. I wonder if it's included in Samsung's statement of how thick it is.

I think this design language from Samsung is hideous but to be fair the back of the new iPod touch isn't flush either (although it doesn't protrude quite as much as this).  I'm actually a bit surprised Apple didn't make it thick enough so the camera would be flush with the back.

• Reply 76 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Looks like Samsung had their specs finalized before the iPad mini was launched because they didn't copy the iPad mini's narrow left and right borders. Expect Samsung to copy that in the Galaxy Note 9.

Probably not since they need the side bezel area to store the stylus.

• Reply 77 of 173
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The stylus is useful for some. While artists here and there are using the iPad for "fingerpainting", many of them do wish for a pen. But I am not sure this stylus does the trick because artists prefer a pressure-sensitive pen.

Thing is, you can still use a stylus with an iPad, if you really want/need to. Most people don't so Apple doesn't design around the use of one or supply one. This one gets good comments:

http://www.studioneat.com/products/cosmonaut

• Reply 78 of 173
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Everyone is coming out with cheap 7" 16:9 Android tablets.  So far at MWC we've seen new Android tablets from HP, Asus, Acer and Samsung. Not much to differentiate them other than Samsung's S-pen.  And in the phone space it's even worse with new 5" Android phones being announced left and right.

Boy I hope Apple knocks it out of the park this year and reminds people what a premium experience can be.  Let all these other companies fight for the crumbs in a race to the bottom.

• Reply 79 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

They had a ~7" tablet a long time before Apple did.  Granted it was an incredibly crappy tablet, but they had one.  For once, this isn't a case of Samsung copying Apple.

When I was 5 years old, I made a time machine out of cardboard boxes and toilet rolls. It didn't work too well, but I'm still gonna claim I invented the time machine once someone else irons out it's flaws.

• Reply 80 of 173
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Thing is, you can still use a stylus with an iPad, if you really want/need to. Most people don't so Apple doesn't design around the use of one or supply one. This one gets good comments:

http://www.studioneat.com/products/cosmonaut

Totally different things.

The product you referenced is an inactive stylus (stick), which pretends to be a meat finger, and is just as (in)accurate.

What Samsung is using is a Wacom digitizer active pen, which is far more accurate in positioning, and has over two hundred pressure levels to boot.

There are several third party active pens available for the iPad (for example, the iPen Kickstarter project), but they require interface dongles that plug into the expansion port or headphone jack.  That's why people would like to see Apple build the digitizer technology into the tablet itself.