Samsung unwraps Galaxy Note 8.0 to take on Apple's iPad mini

Comments

• Reply 41 of 173
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Gizmag has a nice side-by-comparison of this and iPad mini that's worth a look.

I thought the last picture under Intangibles was funny:

Um… I'll take the App Store.

isn't this just one of their phones?

It appears the cellular-based models will allow voice call but they are offering a basic model that only has WiFi so that, at least, won't be a phone without using a VoIP service.

They may artificially limit the voice option over cellular for some markets. Imagine trying to get your Galaxy Note 8.0 on Verizon in the US but are told that you can't simply add a data network, you have to also add a voice plan. That could be an issue.
  • Reply 42 of 173
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bondm16 wrote: »
    Trolling? Im sorry but I dont think I have.

Then make better arguments.
  • Reply 43 of 173
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Then make better arguments.

This is a great place to learn how to do that and I think his replies so far have shown clearly he is open to what others have to say.
  • Reply 44 of 173
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Besides punctuation errors and blatant trolling, no; you haven't done anything wrong.

Thats the spirit !

• Reply 45 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is a great place to learn how to do that and I think his replies so far have shown clearly he is open to what others have to say.

I like to think im open minded

• Reply 46 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

I don't wish to sound critical but saying that Samsung wouldn't be making any tablets in any size, if it wasn't for the iPad is like saying Audi wouldn't be making cars if it wasn't for Henry Ford. The iPad was not the first tablet.  Anyone remember this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1381528/Knight-Ridder-tablet-looks-just-like-iPad-17-YEARS-OLD.html

This is my first post in a discussion so forgive me if ive done something wrong.

It's a rehash of Samsung enthusiast arguments, a variation of the "Apple never invented anything" theme. We went through that when Samsung's attorneys tried to use the Knight-Ridder and 2001: A Space Odyssey concepts during the trial. That's fine if you believe the "Apple never invented anything; Apple just steals ideas and sues everybody" narrative fiction. But if you want to include those concept tablets, then you need to also include Apple's concepts, which go back to the 80s:

http://www.designboom.com/technology/hartmut-esslingers-early-apple-computer-and-tablet-designs/

What does that prove? That Apple was in fact, thinking about tablets a long time ago. And if you know your history, Apple sold a stylus-controlled tablet called the Newton which was similar in size to the Galaxy Note. There was even a clamshell style tablet (with keyboard) based on the Newton called the eMate 300. To use the Knight-Ridder tablet or the 2001: A Space Odyssey tablets implicate that the iPad was somehow a ripoff of someone else's tablet instead of an evolution of Apple's own experiences designing, building and selling tablets is just a desperate attempt to discredit what Apple has accomplished with the iPad.

• Reply 47 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's a rehash of Samsung enthusiast arguments, a variation of the "Apple never invented anything" theme. We went through that when Samsung's attorneys tried to use the Knight-Ridder and 2001: A Space Odyssey concepts during the trial. That's fine if you believe the "Apple never invented anything; Apple just steals ideas and sues everybody" narrative fiction. But if you want to include those concept tablets, then you need to also include Apple's concepts, which go back to the 80s:

http://www.designboom.com/technology/hartmut-esslingers-early-apple-computer-and-tablet-designs/

What does that prove? That Apple was in fact, thinking about tablets a long time ago. And if you know your history, Apple sold a stylus-controlled tablet called the Newton which was similar in size to the Galaxy Note. There was even a clamshell style tablet (with keyboard) based on the Newton called the eMate 300. To use the Knight-Ridder tablet or the 2001: A Space Odyssey tablets implicate that the iPad was somehow a ripoff of someone else's tablet instead of an evolution of Apple's own experiences designing, building and selling tablets is just a desperate attempt to discredit what Apple has accomplished with the iPad.

Firstly, i am in no way a Samsung enthusiast and second, I didn't say at any point i believed that Apple never invented anything. Just one example...the iPhone totally changed the face of smartphones and revolutionised the way we use mobile phones. If that isn't both invention and innovation I don't know what is.

• Reply 48 of 173
    Finally, competition in the new 8 inch tablet market.

The Note 8.0 has a screen area of 28.8 sq.in. The iPad Mini measures at 29.6 sq.in.

The Note's dimensions are 210.8 x 135.9 x 7.95 mm.
    The Mini's dimensions are 200.0 x 134.7 x 7.2 mm.

The Note weighs 338 g. while the Mini weighs 308 g.

So, the Note is bigger and heavier but has a smaller screen, albeit with higher resolution... for now.
  • Reply 49 of 173

Good then you'll do fine here, just do research before you post.
  • Reply 50 of 173

So does my great aunt but you should hear how she refers to "minorities" at Thanksgiving dinner.

In all seriousness though, the burden of proof (something you'll see stated here often) is upon you. I think you've shown that already but others will need more convincing.

This is a great forum with amazingly knowledgable posters but any BS is like chumming the water in a school sharks.
  • Reply 51 of 173
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Good then you'll do fine here, just do research before you post.

Or ask. Sometimes it's hard to know how to begin research something.
  • Reply 52 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I like how they don't even have a mention of this thing on their website.  image

Not only that, their site search is "dumb" so a search for "Galaxy Note 8" yields pages and pages of irrelevant crap just because some document has the word "galaxy" or "note" in it, and none of the titles of their "Galaxy Note" products includes the size so you have to click on three or four different "Galaxy Note" results before you realise it isn't there.  

Apple has a clear, detailed, easy to understand product page about every single product within 20 minutes of it being announced to the world.  They also put the latest products at the top of the first page.  

Samsung's right hand doesn't even know what it's left is doing it seems. 

Shhhh....  Don't tell them.

• Reply 53 of 173
    Firstly, i am in no way a Samsung enthusiast and second, I didn't say at any point i believed that Apple never invented anything. Just one example...the iPhone totally changed the face of smartphones and revolutionised the way we use mobile phones. If that isn't both invention and innovation I don't know what is.

I think people get hung up on the word 'invent', I think nobody can reimagine a device like Apple can.
  • Reply 54 of 173
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Wow. They need a quad core 1.6 GHz processor with 2 GB of RAM in order to match Apple's performance from a 1 GHz dual core processor with 512 MB?

Is Android really that bad?
  • Reply 55 of 173
    lmgslmgs Posts: 63member
    Shaq will like it...
  • Reply 56 of 173
    jragosta wrote: »
    Wow. They need a quad core 1.6 GHz processor with 2 GB of RAM in order to match Apple's performance from a 1 GHz dual core processor with 512 MB?

Is Android really that bad?

Based on the specs I doubt it will match the performance of the iPad mini with the 2011 A5 processor.
  • Reply 57 of 173
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    kdarling wrote: »
    There are 1 billion smartphone users in the WORLD.  The max ratio of 0.3% would be 3 million buyers.

However, the first Note sold over 10 million, with the Note 2 expected to  top that, by perhaps up to double.

Obviously more than just artists make up the people buying the Note.  For example, there have been news stories about executives using pens to annotate PDFs and then send them to their teams. I've also seen reports of field contractors using them to take notes on construction diagrams.

Personally, I used to use a stylus all the time on my old WinMo smartphones, to draw diagrams and take notes before going to Home Depot to buy materials.   I also used to jot down circuit ideas.  Sometimes it's just easier for anyone to scribble down info, or draw a picture, rather than have to type it in.

Stylus is much more natural than finger. I cannot say for others, but much as I am concerned, I'd always rather scribble with "pen" than finger. Regardless of being or not being an artist.
  • Reply 58 of 173
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Note 8.0

The Note 8.0's distinguishing feature is its S Pen stylus. 

I would have said the distinguishing feature is the fugly camera optics protruding from the (otherwise flush) back.

• Reply 59 of 173
    This won't end well...

Yes. A lot of trolls will start jumping up...
  • Reply 60 of 173
    carthusia wrote: »
    Besides punctuation errors and blatant trolling, no; you haven't done anything wrong.

... and here they go.