Google's Android has flatlined in the U.S. as Apple's iPhone steals all growth

Comments

• Reply 101 of 151
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Other cultures are irrelevant, especially if they are barbaric and/or primitive. When two cultures meet, it is common sense that the advanced culture trumps the primitive culture. The arab spring is also a joke and massive failure, but since this is not in the political section, I won't go into any further detail.

As for the internet, it doesn't really matter, as there is no going back now obviously. Though I can definitely think of a few advantages that would have been gained by keeping it closed.

Yes, like the advanced Hun culture trumped the primitive Romans.. What a maroon!

• Reply 102 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

There is a very large demand for the HTC One right now.

Because you read it somewhere?

No, because I am on the waiting list for it (and yes, I have an iPhone, actually three of them, before you accuse me of being a fandroid).

• Reply 103 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

I would bet that about 85 to 90% of those activations are cheapo feature phones or very cheap phones being sold in china or india where cheap is in,   phones like the Galaxy line would not sell well in countries like this because of locals ability to buy, and probably make up about 10 to 15% of android sales.  The cheap phones take the rest.   Google will take anything it sees as an activation but that does not mean that it is a high end smart phone.  Plus hell all of the two for ones and the free phone give aways, got to get rid of that old stock on the warehouse and store shelves somehow.

And as another point most of the cheapo phones are razor thin on margin, down in the .01% to 1 % area for profit too.

Can you back any of this up?

• Reply 104 of 151
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Nice sarcasm! I am sure the 80% of silicon valley engineers who are born outside the US are having a chuckle!

I don't know if your figure is correct or not, since you have of course not provided any evidence, but let's assume that it is.

And Silicon Valley is located where, in which country? Thank you, that proves my point.

• Reply 105 of 151
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

So we compare the trend of one brand to the trend of several other brands regrouped. No wonder that there's no seasonal variation!

Its the only way you can compare android to iOS, because there is no other iOS vendor than apple.  So it is a legitimate comparison of android phones to apple phones (iOS vs. Android).  The amazing thing is Apple YoY outsells all other android phone vendors on those carriers in the U. S.

Oh and by the way Android Fans always compare all other android phone vendors as a lump vs. Apples iPhone.  If we did a fair comparison of other vendors sales on an individual basis even samsungs with there galaxy line only, against apple they loose horribly in actual numbers.  But samsung never reports actual numbers and counts all of there dumb phones and cheap crap phones as competition against the iPhone when the only phone they make that directly competes with the iPhone is the Galaxy line. Which is there smallest selling phone line in numbers.

• Reply 106 of 151

Quote:

I don't know if your figure is correct or not, since you have of course not provided any evidence, but let's assume that it is.

And Silicon Valley is located where, in which country? Thank you, that proves my point.

Much of it is moving to Bangalore and Dublin.

• Reply 107 of 151

Quote:

Yes, like the advanced Hun culture trumped the primitive Romans.. What a maroon!

You're talking about warfare and invasion, which is not what I was referring to.

• Reply 108 of 151
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

google it   Samsung sold 100 million Galaxy phones since the lines inception (there numbers not mine)  Which is about 10% of that 1billion activation number for android that Shmidt has been dumping on the press.  So who makes up the other 900 million?  HTC?  Sony? Motorola?  Nexus?Android Tablets?(lol)  Think about that.  If the top android phone vendor makes up 10% with its made up "shipped numbers"  then the rest have to be low end phones.  Because there are not a helluva lot of High end Android phone vendors.   There were some good articles on ASYMCO about the china market and Indian Market and the tons of local phones and tons of cheap samsung and htc phones being sold there.

• Reply 109 of 151
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

No, because I am on the waiting list for it (and yes, I have an iPhone, actually three of them, before you accuse me of being a fandroid).

You being on a waiting list doesn't directly validate there is a VERY large demand. It could mean a whole slew of tactics, issues, shipments, etc.

A perfect example, the Microsoft Surface. It has sold incredibly poor, but it was very hard to get one when it first came out. Mainly because M$ did not produce a large number of them. In fact, they even cut their orders in half a few months in. Another example would be the HP TouchPad, also hard to get in the beginning, sold so horrendously it was scrapped all together. See Hype Cycle. BTW: Apple does these types of hype build ups as well. 

Don't get me wrong, if I had to get an Android device, the HTC One would most likely be my first choice. But there hasn't been any official releases that demand is VERY large for that device.

If it is, we can come back to an article like this next year and see a spike on the android scale. 

• Reply 110 of 151
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

As for the internet, it doesn't really matter, as there is no going back now obviously. Though I can definitely think of a few advantages that would have been gained by keeping it closed.

Me too. I would never have seen that.

• Reply 111 of 151
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Smartphone sales at AT&T and Verizon Wireless over the past two years show that Android isn't growing in the U.S. and that all new growth is coming from Apple's iPhone.

Which explains why Apple's share price is down almost 3% again today.

Oh, wait......
  • Reply 112 of 151

Quote:

google it   Samsung sold 100 million Galaxy phones since the lines inception (there numbers not mine)  Which is about 10% of that 1billion activation number for android that Shmidt has been dumping on the press.  So who makes up the other 900 million?  HTC?  Sony? Motorola?  Nexus?Android Tablets?(lol)  Think about that.  If the top android phone vendor makes up 10% with its made up "shipped numbers"  then the rest have to be low end phones.  Because there are not a helluva lot of High end Android phone vendors.   There were some good articles on ASYMCO about the china market and Indian Market and the tons of local phones and tons of cheap samsung and htc phones being sold there.

By definition, high end is a small fraction of the total, so this is not exactly a surprise. What is not clear is your statement that there is no money in the low end - -a lot of those phones use five year old technology, so are very cheap to make, so it is quite possible that they are very lucrative.

• Reply 113 of 151
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

That's rich. Really. The US is a civilized country. WTF. You are kidding yourself buddy. Its a fucking Jungle.

Oh yeah? What country are you from, if you're not too ashamed to answer?

As for the US, realize this: Most of the world would be far worse off if not for the USA, the most successful and innovative country in the entire history of humankind. I still think that it was a mistake to open up the internet to foreigners and grant other countries access. 

Look, I'm not really interested in getting into a discussion with you. You are the kind of person that I would walk out of a room if you walked in. Get it ?

I have an unimaginably low opinion of everything you are and everything you stand for and think your writing is internet pollution.

But if it's important to you, I am from NZ and living in Germany. Who cares ?

• Reply 114 of 151
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

...the only phone they make that directly competes with the iPhone is the Galaxy line.

Actually the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note lines go up against iPhones, the Galaxy Tab line goes up against iPads, the Galaxy Player goes up against the iPod.

All the other Galaxy lines are low to mid range models.

Samsung has been very successful with their "Galaxy" marketing, it's Koolaid to their starry eyed acolytes.

• Reply 115 of 151

Quote:

Of course not, Android manufacturers tend not to release concrete figures, with them it's all a shell game.

• Reply 116 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

You being on a waiting list doesn't directly validate there is a VERY large demand. It could mean a whole slew of tactics, issues, shipments, etc.

A perfect example, the Microsoft Surface. It has sold incredibly poor, but it was very hard to get one when it first came out. Mainly because M$ did not produce a large number of them. In fact, they even cut their orders in half a few months in. Another example would be the HP TouchPad, also hard to get in the beginning, sold so horrendously it was scrapped all together. See Hype Cycle. BTW: Apple does these types of hype build ups as well. 

Don't get me wrong, if I had to get an Android device, the HTC One would most likely be my first choice. But there hasn't been any official releases that demand is VERY large for that device.

If it is, we can come back to an article like this next year and see a spike on the android scale. 

Fair enough.

• Reply 117 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Of course not, Android manufacturers tend not to release concrete figures, with them it's all a shell game.

Ah, so this justifies you randomly spouting?

• Reply 118 of 151

Quote:

Look, I'm not really interested in getting into a discussion with you. You are the kind of person that I would walk out of a room if you walked in. Get it ?

I have an unimaginably low opinion of everything you are and everything you stand for and think your writing is internet pollution.

Very well put, thanks!

• Reply 119 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Especially once the Samsung bloggers "earning $$$ from home", started tearing in to them.

Their actions where they were caught in Taiwan is just the tip of an iceberg.

Incoming damage control in...

• Reply 120 of 151

Quote:

And believe me, you are most likely the kind of person that I would not even bother to give the time of day to or even acknowledge in real life, but you are in fact the person who replied to my post, so don't get all whiny if your reply gets a reply back. Here's a hint, don't reply to any more of my posts again, and your problem will be solved.