Apple falls short of expectations with $7.7B in profit on sales of 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 178
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    rogifan wrote: »
    The interesting thing here is to see what Apple does with iPad especially considering a larger screen iPhone is surely coming. What does Apple need to do to increase iPad sales in a meaningful way?

Perhaps, sell into enterprise by taking an established company as a strategic partner?
  • Reply 22 of 178
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The interesting thing here is to see what Apple does with iPad especially considering a larger screen iPhone is surely coming. What does Apple need to do to increase iPad sales in a meaningful way?

Can anyone explain why it has dropped for two quarters in a row?

• Reply 23 of 178
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    It was a good run while it lasted. So, what do you think analysts? Apple bought out by Sony? Google? Split up into smaller companies? Something needs to happen, preferably by Friday.
  • Reply 24 of 178
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    mpantone wrote: »
    Apple exceeded some street estimates (EPS, profit, gross margin) but fell short on others (unit sales for some product lines, total revenue) so really a mixed bag regarding Q3, but nothing really out of line.

It's the weak Q4 guidance that's troubling the market. Analyst consensus was for Q4 guidance of $40.6 billion, however Apple is low-balling it by saying $37-40B.

Yeah. Looks like no new products for most of the Q.

That said it is a high range of $3B and $40B could mean the iPhone 6 debuts late Sept.
  • Reply 25 of 178
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I
    Every quarter we hear the same thing when the stock drops...weak guidance. What exactly is Wall Street expecting the quarter before a huge product launch (or two)?

Guidance for a quarter before major refresh is fine imo
  • Reply 26 of 178
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    mpantone wrote: »
    Apple exceeded some street estimates (EPS, profit, gross margin) but fell short on others (unit sales for some product lines, total revenue) so really a mixed bag regarding Q3, but nothing really out of line.

It's the weak Q4 guidance that's troubling the market. Analyst consensus was for Q4 guidance of $40.6 billion, however Apple is low-balling it by saying $37-40B.
    " troubling the market". .. Lol..
    Yup the market should really be worried about apples performance In the next few months into holiday season and a flood of new products and pent up demand like never before !
  • Reply 27 of 178
    mstone wrote: »

I wonder about tablets. I have my iPhone all the time. My laptop for work and home. The iPad tends to be in the corner. My sister loves hers though. I wonder is it really the post-PC era.
  • Reply 28 of 178

My father still being very satisfied with its ipad 2 says ot all. Upgrade cycle is very long.
  • Reply 29 of 178
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Perhaps, sell into enterprise by taking an established company as a strategic partner?
    I'm not convinced that's going to be a huge driver of iPad sales. Doesn't really solve the consumer side of the equation though.
  • Reply 30 of 178
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    " troubling the market". .. Lol..
    Yup the market should really be worried about apples performance In the next few months into holiday season and a flood of new products and pent up demand like never before !

If those products were released next quarter then the pent up demand would produce higher revenues ( and possibly lower margins). It looks like that isn't likely given Apples guidance. The other alternative is worse - new products and low guidance.
  • Reply 31 of 178
    asdasd wrote: »
    I really dispair at sharing a website with people who think *AppleInsider* is paid by Samsung. For ****'s sake.

The headline says " expectations" not "guidance".

The head line say profit expectation... Pure misinformation and intentional negative twist .

U decide whats more valuable.. AI Printing anything they want or print facts.
    And if they dont print facts .. And put negative spin on reality.. Why ????
  • Reply 32 of 178
    Double-digit growth on a phone that's 2 generations behind Android flagship phones and with the new latest and greatest widely rumored to be announced in just a couple of months. If that's not spectacular performance, I don't know what is.
    Throw in increased market share for iPad, increased margins... That is not the picture of failure.
  • Reply 33 of 178
    Falls short of Wall Street expectations, but that is all, the next quarter always seems to be the toughest before a release in September or October.
  • Reply 34 of 178
    Its
    If those products were released next quarter then the pent up demand would produce higher revenues ( and possibly lower margins). It looks like that isn't likely given Apples guidance. The other alternative is worse - new products and low guidance.

Its the same setup every year, we get 2 weeks of iphone sales with limited supply, so impact on revenu is limited...
  • Reply 35 of 178
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

One consideration is that people do not upgrade iPads as frequently as iPhones -- I've read where people upgrade their iPads on a 2-3 year cycle.

We have iPad 1s, an iPad 2, an iPad 3, an iPad 4, and an iPad Mini. (several iPads have been broken, repaired, re-broken).

I never bought an iPad Air, but I suspect I'll by a new iPad for me and a new iPad Mini for my daughter.

The grandkids will get the push downs.
  • Reply 36 of 178
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    APPL beats EPS while MSFT misses. Obviously Apple is doomed and MSFT is the new innovator.
  • Reply 37 of 178
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Lower price entry level model and the ipadpro should help imo. Touch ID on all models, 32g entry level capacity
    When Apple launched the iPad mini for $329 I figured that price point was so they didn't have to raise the price when the retina version came out. I wonder if the $399 price point hurt iPad mini sales?
  • Reply 38 of 178

.... And why would u be so naive to think that is not a real possibility?

The fact is the headline is false and puts a negative twist on facts.
    Apple beat profit expectation
    Apple beat margin expectations..
    Apple grew double digits yoy
    Apple broke All time records !
  • Reply 39 of 178
    titantigertitantiger Posts: 300member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleTechSpot View Post

Wow CNBC actually wrote a more pro Apple headline than AI did. So Apple BEAT guidance but missed ever inflating rumor and expectations in delivering yoy growth and a record quarter and this is what AI prints? Maybe this has become AndroidInsider after all!!!

CNN's too:

"Breaking News:Apple reports earnings of $1.28 per share, beating Wall Street's estimates. But sales were lower than expected."

• Reply 40 of 178
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Gotta love AppleInsider (should be renamed to WallStreetAnalsider)... Apple met or beat their own guidance, which TIME AND TIME AGAIN Tim Cook has said is what the Wall Scum anal-ysts should be following, yet the headline implies doom and gloom because Apple didn't meet the out-of-their-asses expectations of Wall Street scum.

WHAT A JOKE!