Apple falls short of expectations with $7.7B in profit on sales of 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

In what universe does iPad sell 200M units a year? I think life to date iPad has sold ~220M units.

I just ignore Sog. The vast majority of his comments are half baked.

• Reply 162 of 178
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will take for this to normalize where we no longer see these YOY declines.

Not for some time. The typical use case for a iPad (short documents, web-surfing, email) means that they'll get upgraded less often. TouchID won't help that much in the consumer market because most iPads never leave the house.

The upsurge will come if/when the IBM deal takes hold The iPad will replace the cash till over the next decade or so.

Apple is laying waste to existing markets, which is why it is hungrily searching for new ones.
  • Reply 163 of 178
    If I were to guess then I'd say that more and more people tried the two screen experience and then decided that their phone was enough. More reason for Apple to get a larger screen phone in the market place.

Those that want a large screen tablet are becoming fewer and quite a few consumers are choosing things like the cheaper Kindle Fire which is taking away from sales that are dwindling in the first place.

Interesting.

Given Samsung's poor quarter and the fact that iPhone sales are still growing, I was thinking that perhaps this demand for a large-screen iPhone is not as strong as the press would have us believe. Outside of the geek/fan forums, I wonder if Joe Consumer is happy with the current screen size.
  • Reply 164 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Interesting.

Given Samsung's poor quarter and the fact that iPhone sales are still growing, I was thinking that perhaps this demand for a large-screen iPhone is not as strong as the press would have us believe. Outside of the geek/fan forums, I wonder if Joe Consumer is happy with the current screen size.

Why do people constantly discount the importance of iOS.

• Reply 165 of 178
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I've budgeted to replace two computers at the office this next month (one in accounting and the other for entering/tracking new orders). Neither will be using Win8.

Out of interest, what are your plans for your phones/tablets?
  • Reply 166 of 178
    Then it will soon be just a niche product if Apple can't find new buyers for the product. Hell, even pc sales were up yoy.

Hence the IBM deal.
  • Reply 167 of 178
    Why do people constantly discount the importance of iOS.

That's the point: Apple's careful blending of technology creates a more compelling phone experience that does not seem to suffer from having a 'tiny' screen, while the current analyst meme is that massive screens trump everything. And yet, both Apple and Samsung's figures seem to indicate this is not the case, and never has been.

I think a more important part of this experience is size, which is why I've also been very skeptical about the 5.5 inch phone.

I also wonder if Apple really needs a 5.5 inch phone, or a new type of ear piece for the 7-inch iPad.
  • Reply 168 of 178
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    rayz wrote: »
    Not for some time. The typical use case for a iPad (short documents, web-surfing, email) means that they'll get upgraded less often. TouchID won't help that much in the consumer market because most iPads never leave the house.

The upsurge will come if/when the IBM deal takes hold The iPad will replace the cash till over the next decade or so.

Apple is laying waste to existing markets, which is why it is hungrily searching for new ones.
    I was kind of expecting iPad sales to be normalized by now where the YOY change would essentially be flat.

I'm hoping we see a shakeup to the iPad line this fall. I'd hate to see the iPad just turn Into an enterprise or POS device. Tim Cook said Apple has exciting things planned for iPad. I've got to believe that's more than just adding Touch ID. At least I hope so.
  • Reply 169 of 178
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

That's the point: Apple's careful blending of technology creates a more compelling phone experience that does not seem to suffer from having a 'tiny' screen, while the current analyst meme is that massive screens trump everything. And yet, both Apple and Samsung's figures seem to indicate this is not the case, and never has been.

I think a more important part of this experience is size, which is why I've also been very skeptical about the 5.5 inch phone.

I also wonder if Apple really needs a 5.5 inch phone, or a new type of ear piece for the 7-inch iPad.

I haven't bought into the 5.5 inch iPhone yet. The 4.7, yes, but I don't think that Apple has to go larger than this.

• Reply 170 of 178
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    sog35 wrote: »
    This is why iPad sales are 'struggling'.

The cart went way past the horse.  PERIOD.

It took FIVE YEARS for the iPod to sell 100,000,000 units.
    It took FOUR YEARS for the iPhone to sell 100,000,000 units.
    It took only TWO and a HALF years for the iPad to sell 100,000,000 units.

It is by far the fastest selling Apple device to sell 100,000,000 units.  The growth in the first 2 years have been beyond explosive.  Now we are see normalization to the mean.  The iPhone was given five years to mature to a point where solid growth stabilized.  Technology was able to catch up and overtake consumer demand.  The same thing has not happened with the iPad.  It has sold and grown so fast that technology has to catch up to make future iPads appealing for repeat buyers.

There is nothing to worry about.  Again once the technology catches up to demand (TouchID, larger screen, more ram, foldable screen, ect) we will see steady growth.  The rate the iPad was growing was unsustainable.  By next year I expect the iPad to grow at a nice 15-20% YoY each quarter.

An excellent point which I hadn't even considered!
  • Reply 171 of 178
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 166member

I haven't seen any mention of the obviously bad data set forth by IDC just a few short weeks ago.  They claimed only 1.68 million Macs had sold this quarter, when in fact Apple sold over 4 million!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181292/mac-sales-continue-to-slide-in-q2-as-overall-pc-market-rebounds

How can you be so insanely far off, and still think you know what you're doing?

• Reply 172 of 178
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

the "problem" with Apple is their products last forever.

I come from gaming blogs and this used to screw Nintendos numbers. Nintendos products last long so people would buy ONCE. sony on the other hand had crazy sales. but everyone who owned one was on their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th replacement console because they would break.

My niece had a cheap android and it broke within 3 months. she just got a new one today. so androids market share is up by 1, even though it's the same person.

am I making sense here?

so basically one person can have 5 android tablets with 4 in the trash. while another person can have ONE iPad for 3 years. making market share 4 to 1.

It think this is a "nice" problem, this is very good for consumers.  Its shows in the resale value, old Apple ipads still retain good value because people know they are great. Old android tablets have almost no resale value.

This is still good for sales too, all those satisfied consumers will upgrade at some point.

• Reply 173 of 178
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    goofy1958 wrote: »
    I haven't seen any mention of the obviously bad data set forth by IDC just a few short weeks ago.  They claimed only 1.68 million Macs had sold this quarter, when in fact Apple sold over 4 million!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181292/mac-sales-continue-to-slide-in-q2-as-overall-pc-market-rebounds

How can you be so insanely far off, and still think you know what you're doing?

The report you're referencing concerned only the US market so those figures of 1.4 million might not be far off. I think I recall Apple comments yesterday that Mac sales growth was coming from South America and the BRIC's.
  • Reply 174 of 178
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    sog35 wrote: »
    $7.7 Billion in Profit.
    Most EVER for a 3rd Qtr. 
    12% higher than last year.
    Beats Wall Street expectation of $1.23 EPS with $1.28

Falls short of expectation.

WTF. WTF. Appleinsider. WTF.

The stock is up today so apparently investors aren't overly concerned with Apple's results or guidance for the next quarter.
  • Reply 175 of 178
    arlorarlor Posts: 533member

I don't think that TouchID and more storage are likely to be killer apps on a large scale for the iPad. I just find it hard to imagine that Joe Consumer walks out of the Apple store because the tablet doesn't have TouchID yet. Some potential upgraders are waiting for TouchID, but I suspect they number closer to the tens of thousands than the millions.

As many have noted, the things just don't break. My family's still on the iPad 2, and aside from a small crack on the bezel, the thing's like a tank. Marginal gains in speed, storage, and even the resolution changes just don't seem worth $399+ if the thing's still functional. Even the changes in iOS aren't going to matter much unless compelling apps come out that won't run on orphaned devices, and there are so many 2s out there that app makers and maybe even Apple itself probably aren't going to orphan the 2 for a while yet.

I also think the novelty's going away a bit. As phone screens get larger (and Apple's late to that party), the apps like Angry Birds and such that attract people to tablets have become comfortably playable on their phones. And a large-screen phone is for many people a more comfortable reading device than a tablet, especially for prolonged reading. It's also easier both to carry around and to conceal in public when necessary. 

• Reply 176 of 178
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 166member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I think those numbers were US only

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The report you're referencing concerned only the US market so those figures of 1.4 million might not be far off. I think I recall Apple comments yesterday that Mac sales growth was coming from South America and the BRIC's.

My bad.  I missed that. :embarrass 

• Reply 177 of 178
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Well I don't follow the analysts much. Maybe you are right and the headline is over gloomy. But no need to suggest payments by Samsung.

Nothing is too low for sansung... .... Or some wallstreet thug !
    Second i dont see any justified motivation for AI to use that headline! It is pure negative twist and missinformation! Ask yourself why? Headlines dont apear out of thin air. Someone decided to print that. What was the reason or the insentive ?....