Apple falls short of expectations with $7.7B in profit on sales of 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads

Comments

• Reply 121 of 178
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Your statement begs the question:

What is your explanation for the slide in iPad sales 2 quarters in a row?

I believe the answer to be the longetivity of the device and that it's considerably too early to decide how an entire category of device is faring based on a brief six month period.

To be more accurate we need to wait longer.
  • Reply 122 of 178
    You're joking, right?

In his case, not at all.

Gatorguy isn't here just to muse. His posting history confirms that.
  • Reply 123 of 178
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    We already have 3 TVs in the house (one with large screen).

The problem is that we have 5 people who all want to watch different things at the same time,

We can't split the carrier signal to support another TV -- tried that and the signal degraded to all TVs (lost connections, signal breakup, etc).

We all have SteamToMe and can concurrently watch different movies from our iTunes Movie repository over WiFi -- no problem there.

Like to be able to do that with live TV too.!

Who says you have hook it up to a cable STB? I have a TV that's only hooked up to a Roku.
  • Reply 124 of 178
    iobserveiobserve Posts: 96member

The world is hilarious.

Microsoft (MSFT) is in a flat/shrinking business, trades at a premium to Apple (AAPL), misses its earnings expectations with over a 10% decrease in EPS, and the stock is up 1% after hours.

Meanwhile AAPL meets expectations, EPS increases 20%, trades at a discount compared to microsoft, and is down 0.5% after hours.

Go figure.

• Reply 125 of 178
    Why is every other major news site reporting that Apple Exceeded Expectations??

Market Watch -
    Apple profit tops targets
    on strong iPhone sales

USA TODAY -Apple slightly tops earnings estimate as iPhone stays strong

CNBC - Apple profit beats estimates, revenue short

Yet, AI - is reporting Apple missed estimates???

Explain please
  • Reply 126 of 178
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I believe the answer to be the longetivity of the device and that it's considerably too early to decide how an entire category of device is faring based on a brief six month period.

To be more accurate we need to wait longer.

That's not an answer.

• Reply 127 of 178
    Quote:

In his case, not at all.

Gatorguy isn't here just to muse. His posting history confirms that.

Whether you like his bias or not, GG's post are more informed and better written than the vast majority of the people who comment in this forum.

He can muse as much as the next guy.

Hell... I basically said the same thing as GG. The iPad is getting down to niche status and I believe it's because the iPad doesn't do enough yet to pull it into a real category of its own. You can't replace a pc with something that doesn't do as much, especially when most people's phones do the exact same thing.

• Reply 128 of 178
    gtr wrote: »
    Your statement begs the question what would the majority of people, who have jobs, families, hobbies, and interests prefer:

1. An inexpensive, easy-to-use tablet backed up with superb customer service and assistance.
    2. A more expensive, complicated computer with a learning curve and no customer service.

What were they doing before tablets became popular?
  • Reply 129 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That's not an answer.

Then allow me to elaborate.

Apple's devices are so well made, and their software supported for so long, that users are quite happy to retain the device for long periods of times, hence putting off the need to update on a yearly basis.

That is my belief.

• Reply 130 of 178
    Quote:

Whether you like his bias or not, GG's post are more informed and better written than the vast majority of the people who comment in this forum.

He can muse as much as the next guy.

Hell... I basically said the same thing as GG. The iPad is getting down to niche status and I believe it's because the iPad doesn't do enough yet to pull it into a real category of its own. You can't replace a pc with something that doesn't do as much, especially when most people's phones do the exact same thing.

That is your opinion.

Quite frankly I find his posts boring and bias and I am not alone in that regard.

If you wish to continue this off-topic discussion please feel free to do so in private.

• Reply 131 of 178
    Quote:

Then allow me to elaborate.

Apple's devices are so well made, and their software supported for so long, that users are quite happy to retain the device for long periods of times, hence putting off the need to update on a yearly basis.

That is my belief.

Then it will soon be just a niche product if Apple can't find new buyers for the product. Hell, even pc sales were up yoy.

• Reply 132 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What were they doing before tablets became popular?

Using a device that was considerably more complex than they required.

• Reply 133 of 178
    Quote:

That is your opinion.

Quite frankly I find his posts boring and bias and I am not alone in that regard.

If you wish to continue this off-topic discussion please feel free to do so in private.

Yes, that's my opinion, just like that's your opinion... and I'm not so arrogant as to speak for what other people believe. You started the off topic discussion... and I have absolutely no wish to discuss this with you privately.

• Reply 134 of 178
    Quote:

Then it will soon be just a niche product if Apple can't find new buyers for the product. Hell, even pc sales were up yoy.

It may. Or it may not.

However, my personal belief is that it is considerably too early to confirm.

• Reply 135 of 178
    Using a device that was considerably more complex than they required.

Now your exaggerating. A PC is not 'considerably more complex' to use than a tablet. At the age of 4 my son was able to sit at a PC and successfully launch his learning software plus navigate the web.
  • Reply 136 of 178
    Quote:

Now your exaggerating. A PC is not 'considerably more complex' to use than a tablet. At the age of 4 my son was able to sit at a PC and successfully launch his learning software plus navigate the web.

• Reply 137 of 178

You're assuming everyone has Win 8. I have a 2 yr old Win 7 PC that runs just fine. I don't see any added benefit in upgrading to 8.
  • Reply 138 of 178
    Quote:

You're assuming everyone has Win 8. I have a 2 yr old Win 7 PC that runs just fine. I don't see any added benefit in upgrading to 8.

You're assuming that I'm assuming that everyone has Win 8.

• Reply 139 of 178
    You're assuming that I'm assuming that everyone has Win 8.

:lol: you're the one that sent a Win 8 YouTube video.
  • Reply 140 of 178
    Quote:

image you're the one that sent a Win 8 YouTube video.

But I never claimed that it represented everyone.