Apple falls short of expectations with $7.7B in profit on sales of 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads

Comments

• Reply 141 of 178
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

New tech can be confusing, particularly for those accustomed to other ways of doing things.
  • Reply 142 of 178
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You're assuming everyone has Win 8. I have a 2 yr old Win 7 PC that runs just fine. I don't see any added benefit in upgrading to 8.

I've budgeted to replace two computers at the office this next month (one in accounting and the other for entering/tracking new orders). Neither will be using Win8.
  • Reply 143 of 178
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rogifan wrote: »
    The interesting thing here is to see what Apple does with iPad especially considering a larger screen iPhone is surely coming. What does Apple need to do to increase iPad sales in a meaningful way?
    Well I'm waiting on one to upgrade to. The only reasons I haven't already are the lack of touch ID, no RAM and no flash upgrades. Fact is Apple got greedy with the last update.

One other thing would help too. Include a second USB port and support common drivers especially USB to serial. IPad would be a fantastic platform for field work if it could communicate easily with a variety of hardware. MiFi sucks in this regard, it is a program that does more harm than good.
  • Reply 144 of 178
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

New tech can be confusing, particularly for those accustomed to other ways of doing things.

Nothing new. It has likely been so since the beginning of time:

• Reply 145 of 178
    Then it will soon be just a niche product if Apple can't find new buyers for the product. Hell, even pc sales were up yoy.

PC sales spiked because of stupid businessess rushing to replace an OS that should have died years ago. Not because people love PC's, or suddenly decided that they hated tablets.

There are also people making the mistake of buying any Android tablet. Google has done more damage to the concept of a tablet than anyone else could dream of doing.
  • Reply 146 of 178
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    gatorguy wrote: »

I believe that anybody who claims that a personal computer is easier to use than an iPad probably falls outside the category of the majority of people.

But let's not take my word for it. Let's wait and see what the future holds.

If I'm incorrect then anybody who doesn't make an iPad has nothing to worry about.
  • Reply 147 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

PC sales spiked because of stupid businessess rushing to replace an OS that should have died years ago. Not because people love PC's, or suddenly decided that they hated tablets.

There are also people making the mistake of buying any Android tablet. Google has done more damage to the concept of a tablet than anyone else could dream of doing.

Let me rephrase that so that it is more obvious that I was staying on topic with the earnings call.

"Hell, even Mac sales were up yoy."

I've never thought a business stupid because it bought Macs.

• Reply 148 of 178
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Not EVERY Apple quarter can be an earth-shattering, game-changing record-breaker. 

They've had, and continue to have, more than most. 

Perspective, guys. 

• Reply 149 of 178
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Oh god.

You are calling a product that sells 200 million units a year a niche product?

IMO the slowing growth in tablet sales is directly related to large phones. People are cross shopping tablets with 6 inch phones. For many they rather just buy one device instead of two.

This is okay. You need to sell 3 ipads to make the same profit as one large iPhone. The tablet will continue to go through evolutionary steps and the ipad will lead the way. People need to remember that the iPAd is the quickest growing device 3 years in. I think the iPhone took 5 years to reach the unit sales the iPad reached in 3 years. The slow down is natural and expected. We will grow once again when the new iPads have features that destroy the iPad3 and iPad4. The iPad Air is great but all it really was is a lighter iPad3. Once you can convince iPad 3/4 owners you will see growth again.
    In what universe does iPad sell 200M units a year? I think life to date iPad has sold ~220M units.
  • Reply 150 of 178
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    [quote name="Quadra 610" url="/t/181515/apple-falls-short-of-expectations-with-7-7b-in
    -profit-on-sales-of-35-2m-iphones-13-3m-ipads/120#post_2567964"]Not EVERY Apple quarter can be an earth-shattering, game-changing record-breaker. 

They've had, and continue to have, more than most. 

Perspective, guys. 
    [/quote]
    It's amazing how a company can post $7.7 BILLION in profits in ONE QUARTER and it's considered "meh".
  • Reply 151 of 178
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    herbapou wrote: »
    My father still being very satisfied with its ipad 2 says ot all. Upgrade cycle is very long.

the "problem" with Apple is their products last forever.

I come from gaming blogs and this used to screw Nintendos numbers. Nintendos products last long so people would buy ONCE. sony on the other hand had crazy sales. but everyone who owned one was on their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th replacement console because they would break.

My niece had a cheap android and it broke within 3 months. she just got a new one today. so androids market share is up by 1, even though it's the same person.

am I making sense here?

so basically one person can have 5 android tablets with 4 in the trash. while another person can have ONE iPad for 3 years. making market share 4 to 1.
  • Reply 152 of 178
    Apple Insider is a Rumor & Blog site. Lets be reminded that they have no idea of how the market works. They obviously made a huge mistake in this article, but again, they are a rumor site. I read them daily, as I was really let down by the falseness of this article, but I have to remember that they know no better.

When it comes to real info, tune into the following:

CNBC
    Marketwatch
    USATODAY
    ABCNews
    NBCNews
    CNNMoney
    Barrons
    CBSTech
    TechCrunch
    TheRegister
    Yahoo
    FOXNews
    FOXBUSINESS
    CNBC WORLDWIDE
    BBC
    BBC INTERNATIONAL
    BPR
    RUETERS
    NY TIMES
    WALL ST JOURNAL

and many others. maybe the editor fell asleep on this one, hope they issue the correction tomorrow.
  • Reply 153 of 178

Apple Insider is a Rumor & Blog site.   Lets be reminded that they have no idea of how the market works. They obviously made a huge mistake in this article,  but again, they are a rumor site.  I read them daily,  as I was really let down by the falseness of this article, but I have to remember that they know no better.   

When it comes to real info,  tune into the following:

CNBC

Marketwatch

USATODAY

ABCNews

NBCNews

CNNMoney

Barrons

CBSTech

TechCrunch

TheRegister

Yahoo

FOXNews

FOXBUSINESS

CNBC WORLDWIDE

BBC 

BBC INTERNATIONAL

BPR

RUETERS

NY  TIMES

WALL ST JOURNAL 

and many others.   maybe the editor fell asleep on this one,  hope they issue the correction tomorrow.  

• Reply 154 of 178

Apple Insider is a Rumor & Blog site.   Lets be reminded that they have no idea of how the market works. They obviously made a huge mistake in this article,  but again, they are a rumor site.  I read them daily,  as I was really let down by the falseness of this article, but I have to remember that they know no better.   

CNBC

Marketwatch

USATODAY

ABCNews

NBCNews

CNNMoney

Barrons

CBSTech

TechCrunch

TheRegister

Yahoo

FOXNews

FOXBUSINESS

CNBC WORLDWIDE

BBC 

BBC INTERNATIONAL

BPR

RUETERS

NY  TIMES

WALL ST JOURNAL 

and many others.   maybe the editor fell asleep on this one,  hope they issue the correction tomorrow.  

• Reply 155 of 178

CNBC

Marketwatch

USATODAY

ABCNews

NBCNews

CNNMoney

Barrons

CBSTech

TechCrunch

TheRegister

Yahoo

FOXNews

FOXBUSINESS

CNBC WORLDWIDE

BBC 

BBC INTERNATIONAL

BPR

RUETERS

NY  TIMES

WALL ST JOURNAL 

• Reply 156 of 178

CNBC

Marketwatch

USATODAY

ABCNews

NBCNews

CNNMoney

Barrons

CBSTech

TechCrunch

TheRegister

Yahoo

FOXNews

FOXBUSINESS

CNBC WORLDWIDE

BBC 

BBC INTERNATIONAL

BPR

RUETERS

NY  TIMES

WALL ST JOURNAL 

• Reply 157 of 178

CNBC

Marketwatch

USATODAY

ABCNews

NBCNews

CNNMoney

Barrons

CBSTech

TechCrunch

TheRegister

Yahoo

FOXNews

FOXBUSINESS

CNBC WORLDWIDE

BBC 

BBC INTERNATIONAL

BPR

RUETERS

NY  TIMES

WALL ST JOURNAL 

• Reply 158 of 178

CNBC

Marketwatch

USATODAY

ABCNews

NBCNews

CNNMoney

Barrons

CBSTech

TechCrunch

TheRegister

Yahoo

FOXNews

FOXBUSINESS

CNBC WORLDWIDE

BBC 

BBC INTERNATIONAL

BPR

RUETERS

NY  TIMES

WALL ST JOURNAL 

• Reply 159 of 178

CNBC

Marketwatch

USATODAY

ABCNews

NBCNews

CNNMoney

Barrons

CBSTech

TechCrunch

TheRegister

Yahoo

FOXNews

FOXBUSINESS

CNBC WORLDWIDE

BBC 

BBC INTERNATIONAL

BPR

RUETERS

NY  TIMES

WALL ST JOURNAL 

• Reply 160 of 178
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Wow CNBC actually wrote a more pro Apple headline than AI did. So Apple BEAT guidance but missed ever inflating rumor and expectations in delivering yoy growth and a record quarter and this is what AI prints? Maybe this has become AndroidInsider after all!!!

Gotta keep those ad-clicks comng :no:

I remember when AI used to actually produce really interesting insider info. Now it's just a hit-whoring regurgitator for other sites if you want proper reporting then go to MaObserver.