Rumor: Apple to launch three iPhone models in 2015 including new 4" handset

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Because it's lower tier and probably a 5S rebadged with NFC and A8 chips. That's it. I personally don't believe there'll be one but if it's true, it's just a 5S rebadge.
    I wonder how Apple will price it? $99 subsidized? No way, it'll be the 6 price. $49? Unlikely. $0 and discontinue 5S, no way.
    But why would they have to make the 4" iPhone as a shitty rebadged 5s. I'd trade my iPhone 6 in for a 4" iPhone 6s.
  • Reply 22 of 145
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    koolhaas wrote: »
    We had two 5Cs for a year, and while the camera was not good at all, the plastic back held very well against everyday use. We did not put protective cases on - scratches were quite indistinguishable, comparing to the black anodized aluminum of the 5, especially with the sharp chamfered edges. However, the glossy plastic was extremely slippery - it might have been not a bad idea for a matte finish, Jony... ;)
    cornchip wrote: »
    As long as it's not plastic.

I think the slippery part is a function of the no-scratches part.
    Matte finishes wear much worse, get partially shiny from abrasions and finger grease, etc.
    If it's slippery, use a rubber bumper.

Plastic isn't the issue, nothing wrong with plastic, as long as it's a recyclable type.
  • Reply 23 of 145
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 605member
    This could be a good companion to an Apple Watch for some.

I much preferred the 3.5" device size to the 4".
    That's why I skipped the 5/5s/5c alltogether.

So hopefully a 4" screen in a smaller device size - e.g. a 4s size device with a 4" screen.
  • Reply 24 of 145
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by copeland View Post

I applause that Apple will bring back the 4'' Phone with newer technology but I hate that

they give that treatment only to last years phone.

Ah, the sound of small hands clapping.

In all seriousness, having a smaller device in the lineup may make sense for some people. Not sure whether the design, fabrication, and manufacturing costs versus sales will make it a go or no-go. The numbers of iPhone sales are so incredibly high at this point that having a niche product in the lineup is a tough sell, even when niche to Apple would be a windfall for some of the other smartphone vendors and the whole universe of Windows Phone.

I was worried about going from a 4S to a 6+ and the size. After nearly six months with the 6+ I cannot imagine going back to a 4S sized phone. I still use my 4S as an iPod and I find that using the tiny screen is a real challenge. The only thing that's complaining is my iPad Mini. It feels neglected.

• Reply 25 of 145
    I much prefer the 5S over the 6 in terms of size, the 6 is just that bit too big for me and I have perpetual discomfort in my forearm (I play games).

When I pick up my 5 or 5S it just sits perfectly and is very comfortable.

However I prefer everything else about the 6 so unless the new small phone has same performance as the current 6 I'll keep upgrading.
  • Reply 26 of 145
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 422member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

But why would they have to make the 4" iPhone as a shitty rebadged 5s. I'd trade my iPhone 6 in for a 4" iPhone 6s.

Yup. My 5s is up for change this year and I'd love another phone the same size but I do want the latest functions. There's no point otherwise and anyway I like having new functions 8-). I could cope with an extra mm on the thickness in exchange for longer battery life though.

• Reply 27 of 145
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    macvicta wrote: »
    The 4 inch iPhone is an abomination. It was a haphazard response to the large screen phenomenon while attempting to maintain one-handed dexterity. The answer was not to split the baby, but to create an entirely new class of device as Apple finally did with iPhone 6. While these newer phones are indeed solid choices, they in no way diminish the viability of the original 3.5 inch model. If Apple were to truly think different, this is the path they would choose.

The 4" phone is an abomination? Hyperbole much? :rolleyes:
  • Reply 28 of 145
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

16:9 is what you are going to get, and today that means 4 inch, and you are going to like it!

Indeed, the 4S is a classic design, but times change, and the 4 inch screen is the (current) practical format for video media viewing. Maybe a 3.5 inch screen in the 16:9 format for the candy bar look, and skip the 4 inch display? That would be a very svelte answer to a "mini" iPhone.

Give it the same design cues as the current design, premium performance and Apple Pay and that would be what I would prefer from Apple.

But I bought a 6 Plus anyway.

And... all the different geometries just make for so many more UI compromises between phones (and pads).   From a UI point of view, you really want the same ratio, if not the same number of 'points' defining your X:Y plane.

• Reply 29 of 145
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dewme wrote: »
    Ah, the sound of small hands clapping.

In all seriousness, having a smaller device in the lineup may make sense for some people. Not sure whether the design, fabrication, and manufacturing costs versus sales will make it a go or no-go. The numbers of iPhone sales are so incredibly high at this point that having a niche product in the lineup is a tough sell, even when niche to Apple would be a windfall for some of the other smartphone vendors and the whole universe of Windows Phone.

I was worried about going from a 4S to a 6+ and the size. After nearly six months with the 6+ I cannot imagine going back to a 4S sized phone. I still use my 4S as an iPod and I find that using the tiny screen is a real challenge. The only thing that's complaining is my iPad Mini. It feels neglected.

My guess is if this report is true Apple will just be updating the 5C with perhaps 5S or 6 specs and just a rename to the 6C. I hope Apple doesn't take the 6 and 6 Plus and drop the price $100 as that would create a very large phone line up. Keep it simple. Have the 4" phone be the free on contract phone, last years 4.7" phone the $99 on contract phone and then the two new phones.
  • Reply 30 of 145
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    I have a 6, but kept my 5 and prefer the feel of my 5. Additionally, with continuity, I never use the phone when I'm at home! Really never. I get home, plug it in and don't pick it up till I'm ready to step out of the house again.

iPad for calls or texting or I'm on the MacBook!

I'm in the minority of people who would love a 4" with NFC for apple pay (and the updated cameras!)!!! :) (in metal too)
  • Reply 31 of 145
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    My daughter in college will be happy to upgrade to new 4" iPhone. This year, I had hard time moving her up from 4S to 5S since like her not everyone likes larger phones. If I am Tim Cook, I would make 3.6", 4.3", 5.0" and 5.5" iPhones. Covers all bases including price ranges.
  • Reply 32 of 145
    Glad to see that common sense has partially returned to Apple.

A 4.2" iPhone would be great. Make it thicker if necessary to increase battery life. Let's see 24 hours battery life. They should put the latest chip and technology in, though. Get rid of those bezels, too. Metal case. No jutting camera. No ugly antenna bands.

All set.
  • Reply 33 of 145
    Yes please iPhone Mini! 4" or 3.5".

Maybe I will even go back to iPhone 5S when I have Apple Watch for Apple Pay.

Apple, if you make a new smaller model, please don't leave the power button opposite the volume keys. Thanks!
  • Reply 34 of 145
    Yes please iPhone Mini! 4" or 3.5".

Maybe I will even go back to iPhone 5S when I have Apple Watch for Apple Pay.

Apple, if you make a new smaller model, please don't leave the power button opposite the volume keys. Thanks!

Good catch.

And don't remove the mute switch like you did on the iPad Air 2.
  • Reply 35 of 145
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    saarek wrote: »
    I hope they give the 4" the same specs as the new 6s version. Why should the 4" be stuck with last years specs.
    Because it will be $99, to cleanly fit the product line.
    Apple has to do this. Keep the 4" alive for the millions that don't want bigger.
  • Reply 36 of 145
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Good catch.

And don't remove the mute switch like you did on the iPad Air 2.
    I'm so happy that useless mute switch is gone. So un-Apple like to have a near useless hardware button.
  • Reply 37 of 145
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

And... all the different geometries just make for so many more UI compromises between phones (and pads).   From a UI point of view, you really want the same ratio, if not the same number of 'points' defining your X:Y plane.

iPhones get 16:9, iPad's get 4:3.

So far anyway, but it is logical and practical to do that.

• Reply 38 of 145
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I'm so happy that useless mute switch is gone. So un-Apple like to have a near useless hardware button.

Mute switch is still welcome and need for many. I am sure it can be replaced by software function to flip on and off quick when muting is needed in meeting, church, class, etc places.

• Reply 39 of 145
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

I was worried about going from a 4S to a 6+ and the size. After nearly six months with the 6+ I cannot imagine going back to a 4S sized phone. I still use my 4S as an iPod and I find that using the tiny screen is a real challenge.

As a proud day-one 4S owner, I had the occasion to go hands-on with a coworker's 6+ yesterday.  I wasn't expecting to be smitten, but I was; and it fit in my pocket just fine. 

All the same, if I can just hold out until September/October...

• Reply 40 of 145
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

New line up on Sept 2015

iPhone 6S Plus - $749

iPhone 6S - $649

iPhone 6C - $549 - 4 inch screen, A8, TouchID, NFC, Plastic case.

iPhone 5S - $449

Need to get rid off discontinue 5S and replace similar look and feel of 5S but inside upgraded hardware of 6. Keep 5S thickness for extra battery. Now you have winner in smaller form factor.