10.2.8 gone wrong?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 154
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    This is so odd. I've yet to find a problem and I've tested everything I could think of.

Not that I'm complaining mind you.

Sorry about the ones it didn't work for.
  • Reply 42 of 154
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

This is the worst update Apple has delivered since the 7.5.4 desaster. :-(

Look at all the updates that are problematic:

ProDOS 16: IIgs update, unoptimized (PowerMacs and 7.1.2 anybody?)

3.1: Yay, 30-50 new bugs!

6.0.0 and 6.0.1: 6.0.1 wasn't even released!

7.1.2: Buggy, get 'em out the door upgrade for PMs.

7.1.Pro: Dead PowerTalk, other stuff (some dead.)

7.5.2: What is Apple's 2 thing? Two different versions, same name, required enablers, offered no advant. to other owners, Open T problems.

7.5.4: Killed, but produced a good upgrade (7.5.5.)

7.6: Buggy, problematic, Bluets and Granola Bars "make a chewy snack."

8.5: Serious problem. Took till 8.5.1 to fix.

10.0: Slow.

10.2: Nother 2 thing. Buggy.
  • Reply 43 of 154
    I downloaded MacOSX 10.2.8 and now my monitor will randomly stop receiving information as if the computer had shut down. I've checked the cords and stuff like that, and when I force restart the monitor works again for a while.
  • Reply 44 of 154
    My battery life went from 3 1/2 hours to a solid 1 hour and 55 minutes... why apple why?

Its just not worth it too reinstall everything either
  • Reply 45 of 154
    Do you think these problems with 10.2.8 will push back the release of 10.3?
  • Reply 46 of 154
    For what it's worth, I'm on a dual 500 G4 and have had zero problems since installing 10.2.8 two nights ago.

Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Do you think these problems with 10.2.8 will push back the release of 10.3?

Not likely. 10.2 and 10.3 are on very different development branches.
  • Reply 47 of 154
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hey Gregg I read something about .plists which are the preference files for applications. Perhaps the update messed up your .plist.

I have not had networking problems. However my battery time on my 12" PowerBook now has 1 hour 18 minutes time at 100% charge. That is freakin retarded Apple. I will reset NVRAM later to see if it fixes it.
  • Reply 48 of 154
    How do you reset NVRAM? Yeah I have 1:37 on my fully charged PB as well!
  • Reply 49 of 154
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    same here! 1:30 minutes about on full battery on my 1Ghz Tibook. I used to get 2:30 about. With around 3:00s if I used some power management. There has to be some way to fix this? I'm not going to reinstall everything. I have so much stuff it would take all day and i don't have all day for a long time yet.
  • Reply 50 of 154
    Just unplugged the power cable from the back of my TiBook 800. Time remaining is 1:32. It used to read just over two hours before, though I've never run it all the way out to test it. I'm going to stay unplugged and see what happens today.

Upgraded my TiBook 800 to 10.2.8 yesterday with no probs noted at all. I use an airport for wireless access though and I don't use the IP addresses that are on Apple's Tech Note describing the 10.2.8 problem. I'm going to wait a few more days before upgrading my son's Pismo. If it ain't broke...

Anyone notice that the Keyboard and Mouse System Prefs are combined now? Kind of reminds me when Monitors and Sound got combined way back in OS 8 days.

Joe
  • Reply 51 of 154
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107669

its official, just got an apple tech note that it was pulled offline

inotherwords: apple****up
  • Reply 52 of 154
    I'm not sure what NVRAM is I havn't rebooted while holding the P and R keys yet, (along with apple + option) but I have pulled out the keyboard and pushed that little button.

Still nada as of yet tho, this sux major ass
  • Reply 53 of 154
    Also check this guys please. In DVD Player movies skip every now and then maybe once a minute, the audio sounds weird for a second and the frame pauses. Geez 10.2.6 just BARELY fixed DVD Player from skipping on PowerBook 12"s. Not happy about 10.2.8 now. Should've waited! I hope when they release the fixed update we can update from the bad 10.2.8!
  • Reply 54 of 154
    Just got the "power is almost out, better plug in" warning message.

A little under two hours actual use, certainly more than the 1:32 that the system told me when I unplugged. Maybe Apple is just being more conservative.

Joe
  • Reply 55 of 154
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

iMac 333 10.2.6--->10.2.8 no problems

30 gig drive, 384megs of ram

Today is my iMac's last day of work as my powerbook will arrive tomorrow. Should i buy a cheap gold watch as a retirement gift?

May you please tell me whether you use Ethernet and an internet connection on this computer? I need to know before I update some business computers which are 333 MHz iMacs.

(I've already downloaded it before it was pulled, so if I'm sure that the update is OK, then I think I'll go ahead and install it.)
  • Reply 56 of 154
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I just discovered that my network setting are about 75% hosed and cannot be changed. DHCP is gone as an option. I'm stuck on one location and cannot change. It seemed like everything was fine until I changed locations at work and now it's all wrong and locked.

Worst update ever.
  • Reply 57 of 154
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Apple will have a new 10.2.8 out within a few days. ... I hope...
  • Reply 58 of 154
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Hummmm Some odd mojo working here. I did a permission repair and after a heart stopping shutdown and restart it seems to be working.
  • Reply 59 of 154
    I repaired BEFORE I installed so maybe that is why my 10.2.8 is otherwise ok. I'm on DHCP at college and the Ethernet is fine.
  • Reply 60 of 154
    had the same problem with my battery .. reset the NVRAM but it didnt seem to make a difference but I'm unplugged and will run until it shuts down and see if that helps