10.2.8 gone wrong?

Comments

• Reply 121 of 154
    that's right, it is longer than on the display but shorter than before the update. Perhaps the battery isn't even charged completely, because charging seems faster now. (I haven't clocked the time before the update :-))
  • Reply 122 of 154
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattarino

For those having ethernet issues with this update, I found this on Macupdate:

"AppleGMACEthernet Patch fixes the issues with the 10-base T ethernet cards when upgrading from Mac OS X 10.2.6+ to 10.2.8. It simply downgrades the AppleGMACEthernet.kext file from 1.3 to 1.2.4."

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12907

Just thought this may be helpful. I haven't had problems myself, but I'd be interested to know if it helped for others that do.

This patch is excellent. It's the same as the solution on the Apple discussion boards, but does all the dirty work for you. You don't have to open the system folder and find the extension yourself. Just download and install. Worked perfectly for me and my 12" powerbook.
  • Reply 123 of 154
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

after each charge the full battery seems to last less long. I can get under two hours now with the LCD on minimum brightness.

It also seems to be less real-life battery-time not only display.

Can this damage the battery? Should I leave my Powerbook at home and let it connected? Can I uninstall this update without erasing my HD?

If you delete the System folder, and then reinstall, the Installer will only make a new System folder, and nothing else. Then download 10.2.7.

I had to do this when 10.2.5 gave me problems. It was a lifesaver.
  • Reply 124 of 154
    I guess with the 10.2.8 snafu, Apple will provide Panther free to Jaguar owners.
  • Reply 125 of 154
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Still not out yet. WTF.
  • Reply 126 of 154
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    10.2.8 is gradually fscking my computer up more and more. Apple better bring that fix out this week or I'm not buying Panther from them. I'm officially pissed beyond belief. WTF is going on? Hello dush bags you have left thousands of people with a screwed up OS and no fix... WTF is your problem??????????????????????????????????????????? ????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your Fired!!!!!!!
  • Reply 127 of 154
    Good air in, bad air out. Good air in, bad air out.

Now that our chee is restored... other then the battery and enet issues, what else is wrong?
  • Reply 128 of 154
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Well I'm selling my G4 450 tower to a friend and I'd like it not to screw up on her. Since upgrading to 10.2.8 the finder will refuse to recognize my Kensington wireless mouse upon start up every so often. It's maddening!
  • Reply 129 of 154
    Quote:

Now that our chee is restored... other then the battery and enet issues, what else is wrong?

Did you read the thread? BR is going psycho. Don't blame him. Me, I'm just pissed all audio skips when using the network. But there are lots of smaller glitches.
  • Reply 130 of 154
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Did you read the thread? BR is going psycho.

Exactly correct. He is going psycho. After doing a format and zero there is NO chance that the OS had anything to do with his problems. He simply got a lemon. $hit happens, even to BR. Excluding the wide reaching enet problems and some performance anxiety (which is common among powerbook users and 10.x.x updates) there are rather few glitches. Some folks have actually seen improvement. There will always be issues with 3rd party hardware and system updates. Get in touch with your vendors if they cease functioning. *geez, you you'd think that the sky was falling*

EDIT: I particularly like the "Apple better bring that fix out this week or I'm not buying Panther from them" That'll show them....
  • Reply 131 of 154
    All sorts of things have been going wrong with my used to be heathy PowerBook. Apple has no excuse for being so out to launch. The bugs that got through with this update have no reason to be there. The only reason for them is that Apple did not debug their code well enough. I don't want to buy Panther cause I'm afriad it will have even more bugs in it than I have now. I would do a clean install of 10.2.6 but I don't have the time. I backed everything up just in case it decides to crash completely. All I have to say is that it used to never do anything weird and now weird things are happening. Like File sharing wouldn't load the other day and the internet wouldn't work. One windor opened itself but wouldn't close. etc etc... very annoying...
  • Reply 132 of 154
    Algol, you have enough time to do a full backup and to tolerate the bugs but NOT enough time to reload? You could set it to image in the time it took you to post here. My advice to EVERYONE is rollback. Granted AAPL screwed the pooch and released something which is less then kosher, but since we are being left to pick up the pieces, we should cope.
  • Reply 133 of 154
    Ok dude it doesn't take any time at all to back up but it takes forever to put eveything back on from CDs. Sometimes if you just copy the program they don't work and you have to actually use the installer. Thats why...
  • Reply 134 of 154
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

nihat_y, do you work for Apple?

Ha!. wish I did.. No. Live in Australia, so can't go to Cupertino to work.
  • Reply 135 of 154
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
  • Reply 136 of 154
    I don't know about you guys.. But I got the first release of 10.2.8 and I've been running fine. I haven't experienced any of the problems people have reported. In fact I've been running better than ever. It feels like it anyway.
  • Reply 137 of 154
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Ok, I update to 10.2.8 the 2nd version, and had a kernel P five minutes later, this never happened before... I say this update still has issues.
  • Reply 138 of 154
    after applying the 10.2.8 small 'fix' I started having a lot of trouble staying connected to the net (airport - cable) so I downloaded and installed the 10.2.8 combo update ... my system really seems stable now and my net connection is really FAST again.
  • Reply 139 of 154
    Is there anything wrong with applying a Combo update to an already 10.2.8? I keep hearing such good things about Combo updaters. I will try this if doesn't harm anything.
  • Reply 140 of 154
    I don't think there is any problem applying the combo update if you already have 10.2.8 ... I also have heard that the combo updates are less problematic than the smaller versions. anyway, I am really pleased at the improvement that I'm seeing .. can't say if it's the combo or not, but I am in the process of installing it on my other Ti book jsut in case.