10.2.8 gone wrong?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 154
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Freakin' weird! I haven't had a single issue. (knock on wood)

It works perfectly for me.
  • Reply 102 of 154
    me too...
  • Reply 103 of 154
    I downloaded it the day it was released, but I did not have time to install it. When I got home from work at night, I saw people were having problems. So, I have it on my desktop, but have not installed it, and I guess now I will not.
  • Reply 104 of 154
    i'm having serious problems with my ABS connection

and random complete lock ups

and audio skipping

and PISS THE **** OUT OF ME APPLE.
  • Reply 105 of 154
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    over time, more kernal panics than i cn remember, and ausio skipping in itunes.

pile of crap
  • Reply 106 of 154
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

over time, more kernal panics than i can remember, and audio skipping in itunes.

pile of crap

• Reply 107 of 154
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NeilyB

me too...

Same here. Fixed a problem I had with Safari too.

Even though I still plan on doing a reformat and install with Panther. That's how I always do it.
  • Reply 108 of 154
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Audio in anything skips if you are using Ethernet a lot. And I have a server going nonstop that is very busy. And music playing almost as much. Hope the update comes out tomorrow!
  • Reply 109 of 154
    Did they do something about the volume changing thing in audio-midi setup?

U know the volume get's automatically changed sometimes which is annoying if you are trying to make music.
  • Reply 110 of 154
    Is this gonna come back out?
  • Reply 111 of 154
    The fix still isn't out. Is this apathy, what is taking so long from Apple?
  • Reply 112 of 154
    For those having ethernet issues with this update, I found this on Macupdate:

"AppleGMACEthernet Patch fixes the issues with the 10-base T ethernet cards when upgrading from Mac OS X 10.2.6+ to 10.2.8. It simply downgrades the AppleGMACEthernet.kext file from 1.3 to 1.2.4."

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12907

Just thought this may be helpful. I haven't had problems myself, but I'd be interested to know if it helped for others that do.
  • Reply 113 of 154
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

NO! This is some crazy ****ed up backwards world!

2:58 AM -> Time Remaining: 1 hour 20 minutes.

2:59 AM -> Time Remaining: 1 hour 25 minutes.

3:00 AM -> Time Remaining: 1 hour 34 minutes.

3:01 AM -> Time Remaining: 1 hour 38 minutes...correction. 1 hour 40 minutes.

3:02 AM -> Time Remaining: 1 hour 52 minutes.

Looks like I'll break the 2 hour mark soon...

Yup.

3:03 AM -> Time Remaining: 2 hours 2 minutes.

God dammit.

Yeah. This is sucking. Hard to tell, but I do think there is a performance penalty. I am suddenly being a lot less cocky about my Powerbook on the plane. . .

Anyone figured this out for sure? Have we lost battery life? Any workarounds? And any word on a fix for this god-awful update? Boy, they shure learned me.

Andrew
  • Reply 114 of 154
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    They have had over a week now to fix the update. Considering this has left many people with rather annoying problems it seems like that should of had a fix out by now. Did it take them this long last time?
  • Reply 115 of 154
    Well, I already updated to 10.2.8... and I have had NO problems.

When I saw thay had "pulled" the update, I said... " whoops... what in the hell have I just done now? "

They say that theres a problem with the Ethernet kext, and it buggers up your ethernet connectivity in some way, but I have broadband, and nothing is wrong with my machine at all... Nothing at all...

So my analysis of this fiasco is this :-

People (as usual) must not be looking after their Macintosh properly (eg: repairing permissions, running Nortons and the likes, optimising their drives with Speed Disk, using Disk Warrior every week) and when they update their OS or Apps, something is not in sync, or has its permissions damaged, or its date and time of Creation, or Modification altered in some way, so that component dosent get updated by the updater because it thinks it is a newer version, or it dosent have the right permissions for the component, so it dosent update that component, and...

BANG CRASH ....Problems.... mixed and matched pieces of OS..

KERNEL PANIC CRASH BOOM!

"oooh whats happened to my mac?",

"ooh noooo! its all Apple's fault!, the villans!"

... when after all it is really just the users fault for not running a tighter Mac, like looking after it. if you dont look after it.... things go wrong, especialy after you update OS or other Software's. If you learn more about OS X, and Unix etc, and dont be so ignorant, you will be more happier and better off, and hopefully error free... getting you work done, not troubleshooting updates.

i cannot stress this enough.

Nick.
  • Reply 116 of 154
    nihat_y, do you work for Apple?
  • Reply 117 of 154
    nihat you're new here. Welcome to wild and wooly AI. I'll cut you some slack.

Believe me we know what we're doing. I repaired permissions before and after, I uninstalled APE, I left the Snow theme on but it stayed fine, and Transparent Dock stopped working so I upgraded and fixed it. My Ethernet always works too. However it makes the audio in any application skip and also I think might be slowing my machine down more then usual. Even MIDI audio skips when there is Ethernet network activity. Also one time I restarted and all of a sudden all the Menu Extras in the top right were gone. I had to manually place them all back up except Time and Battery. Again I have everything up to date, and no ghetto crap. I am surprised they didn't fix this Monday. If they don't fix it today or tomorrow then either Panther better come out next Tuesday or it's a real bad bug or they are just lazy.
  • Reply 118 of 154
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nihat_y

Well, I already updated to 10.2.8... and I have had NO problems.

When I saw thay had "pulled" the update, I said... " whoops... what in the hell have I just done now? "

They say that theres a problem with the Ethernet kext, and it buggers up your ethernet connectivity in some way, but I have broadband, and nothing is wrong with my machine at all... Nothing at all...

So my analysis of this fiasco is this :-

People (as usual) must not be looking after their Macintosh properly (eg: repairing permissions, running Nortons and the likes, optimising their drives with Speed Disk, using Disk Warrior every week) and when they update their OS or Apps, something is not in sync, or has its permissions damaged, or its date and time of Creation, or Modification altered in some way, so that component dosent get updated by the updater because it thinks it is a newer version, or it dosent have the right permissions for the component, so it dosent update that component, and...

BANG CRASH ....Problems.... mixed and matched pieces of OS..

KERNEL PANIC CRASH BOOM!

"oooh whats happened to my mac?",

"ooh noooo! its all Apple's fault!, the villans!"

... when after all it is really just the users fault for not running a tighter Mac, like looking after it. if you dont look after it.... things go wrong, especialy after you update OS or other Software's. If you learn more about OS X, and Unix etc, and dont be so ignorant, you will be more happier and better off, and hopefully error free... getting you work done, not troubleshooting updates.

i cannot stress this enough.

Nick.

You are an idiot. I've had the mac for less than a week. Get bent.
  • Reply 119 of 154
    after each charge the full battery seems to last less long. I can get under two hours now with the LCD on minimum brightness.

It also seems to be less real-life battery-time not only display.

Can this damage the battery? Should I leave my Powerbook at home and let it connected? Can I uninstall this update without erasing my HD?
  • Reply 120 of 154
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    yeah it screwed me up too future-ex, however one thing I think is its not reporting it right, valid my battery life isn't as much as it supposed to be, but I think its lasting longer than what it says up top.