10.2.8 gone wrong?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 154
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    iTunes also has strange "skips." the music gets fuzzy for a second, like if you unplug a PowerBook, you know how the sound messes up for a second, like a grinding noise. This is either streamed or MP3 on my hard drive. I'm writing Apple on this. This is a terrible update.
  • Reply 62 of 154
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    My brother (a PowerMac G4 owner) tells me he's had no problems with the ethernet. He also said that the ethernet problems occurred only with dual 450 and dual 500 G4s on 10 base T networks. I don't know if that's true or where he heard it from though. He has a Quicksilver 867, and my mom has a dual 500 but she probably didn't install 10.2.8 and we're on a 100 base T network anyway.
  • Reply 63 of 154
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    First of all I have not noticed any Network trouble. I did loose my connection a while ago but it came back. I firgure that this is just my University screwing up. I drained and recharged my battery twice but it didn't do any good. I even reset the power management. Nothing!

I get those skips in iTunes as well. I didn't think of 10.2.8 causing them untill I read this though. I wish I had not updated to this fscked up update. Apple you can kiss my ass. Dush Bags! Someone must have been smoking the reefer instead of debugging this update. Smoke the grass on the weekend not at work Dush. I have had no trouble with my comp nothing perfect computer. Now all these small things are going wrong. I hate to think of what else is screwed up that I have not found yet. If this update screws my Battery because of the faulty power management apple is buying me a new one.
  • Reply 64 of 154
    I'm with you Algol. I really can't wait for Panther! It seems after a while any version of OS X starts having "problems." I even deactivated all Haxies a while back to avoid problems like these.

My PowerBook 12" is pretty new, I don't know why OS X thinks it has so much less capacity.
  • Reply 65 of 154
    fyi I downloaded 10.2.8 on Monday via dialup, and installation onto my 17" PB went fine. I have had no problems at all.... which is a relief considering what I've read here and elsewhere.

Today I used my PB for a Keynote presentation about how to assess aircraft software.

\
  • Reply 66 of 154
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    dual g4 is fine, but have noticed the pismo powerbook has trouble maintaining an airport connection.
  • Reply 67 of 154
    I have a similar problem here.

I have 1:58 on my 12" powerbook now after a full dicharge-charge cycle. (brightness is turned down to 1)

In normal conditions I can easyly get over 3-4 hours on a full charge.

I haven't clocked this time, so probably it's just a display issue.

Some good things about the update:

- Quicktime player doesn't show this quicktime pro dialog at startup

- my powerbook doesn't get hot at all (I haven't pushed it to it's limits yet, but it definitely runs cooler)

- no network problems here
  • Reply 68 of 154
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

I have received two independ reports on problems after upgrading to 10.2.8.

One trashed system after installing Stuffit 8 and 10.2.8 - not even single user would work.

One failure to reboot after installing 10.2.8.

Wonder what went wrong, do you have a lot of beta software that could potential screw your self over? maybe heavy installations of trialware?

option @ boot time?
  • Reply 69 of 154
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Update: I took the powerbook to work today and got right on the wireless network. Did not have the same trouble posted above. So maybe it was a random glitch unrelated to the OS update?
  • Reply 70 of 154
    Any news on the fix?
  • Reply 71 of 154
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I figured apple would have an update out by today, but I guess they are going to take the weekend to fix the problem. I am think monday or tuesday next week they will have 10.2.8.1 out. lol I wonder what they will call it?
  • Reply 72 of 154
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    I win.

HOSED an iMac 15" ... would not go to the login screen, and stayed with a terrible blue screen. Shat myself.

Discussions at Apple showed it wasn`t the only one to do this.

Rebooted off CD to do a clean install. Could not mount the hard drive. Could not select OS 9 at startup.

Bad bad bad bad bad bad bad.

Started up in single user mode, blessed OS 9 from the command line, booted OS 9 (phew) and restarted by using the OS 9 --> OS X installer application.

Scary shit.
  • Reply 73 of 154
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Gah! My kernel is in a perpetual state of panic!

Browsing in Safari. 10 minutes pass. "You need to restart your computer."

Playing EV: Nova. 3 minutes pass. "You need to restart your computer."

Run Disk Utility. Tests halfway through. "You need to restart your computer."

God dammit my freakin win2k pc is more stable than this. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!
  • Reply 74 of 154
    Yay! I'm downgrading!

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/downgrade1028.html

What a god damn pain in the mother****ing ass.

Well...I'm trying to downgrade...if it doesn't keep ****ing freezing when I'm trying to start up from the ****ing restore CD.
  • Reply 75 of 154
    Great. Kernel decided to panic again while attempting to start up from the CD for the THIRD time.
  • Reply 76 of 154
    I'm officially pissed off.
  • Reply 77 of 154
    FINALLY! Finally after 5 restarts, zapping the PRAM, two more restarts where the power would turn on but the screen and hard disk wouldn't spin up, and finally one more restart, I'm into the installer...doing an Archvie & Install.

And it is taking forever.
  • Reply 78 of 154
    NO! This is some crazy ****ed up backwards world!

2:58 AM -> Time Remaining: 1 hour 20 minutes.

2:59 AM -> Time Remaining: 1 hour 25 minutes.

3:00 AM -> Time Remaining: 1 hour 34 minutes.

3:01 AM -> Time Remaining: 1 hour 38 minutes...correction. 1 hour 40 minutes.

3:02 AM -> Time Remaining: 1 hour 52 minutes.

Looks like I'll break the 2 hour mark soon...

Yup.

3:03 AM -> Time Remaining: 2 hours 2 minutes.

God dammit.
  • Reply 79 of 154
    AND

IT

JUST

****ING

FROZE

AGAIN!

MUST

KILL

MOE

WHEEEEEEEEEE.

Damn I feel like clubbing a baby seal right about now.
  • Reply 80 of 154
    Great. I'm screwed. I can't do shit. It kernel panics no matter what I ****ing try to do.